Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Troop Transport Questions

A vehicle similar like the Imperial Troop Transport appeared in Echo Base.

I think in this way Lucas Film gave some extra credits to this toy and promoted its status from extended universe toy to OT toy.

The vehicle also appears on the cardboard of the Rebel Commander Center (sorry no other pic available in my archive, it is just right from Leia's head).

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://TantiveXI.com

Maybe a bit off topic and old news, but you might be interested:

The Imperial Cruiser came in an ESB box (Sears exclusive) and is basically a stripped Imperial Troop Transporter without the electronic audio unit. Instead there is just more empty space within the vehicle. The decals are also different. Underneath the battery cover there is nothing but an empty space, maybe used to lock up nasty Jawas.

Some comparison pics below.

Dr Dengar, (or indeed anyone else who knows the answer). I notice in the pic above you have the Troop Transporter with the grey battery cover, and my eagle eyes also spot this comes in a box with French writing on.

I have the regular version with the red battery cover but quite recently actually I also acquired one of these with the grey battery cover (and the French panel of writing on the box). Variants are common amongst figures but struck me as unusual to see a variant like this on a vehicle.

Can anyone tell anything about this variation? Is there a difference in value/rarity?

I think the Palitoy version (the one in the pics) came with the grey battery cover, the Kenner version with the red cover.
    Maybe a MIB collector could confirm this. Emiel, your input is needed here.

As stated before I too always wondered why they called this a Imperial transport when the closest thing resembling it in the movie was in Echo base.
    R.I.P. PETER MAYHEW

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSean View Post
    I was just curious if anyone knows more about the background of the design. Was it based on anything else Kenner had done up until then? Did Kenner just desire something else with some play/vehicle features and come up with it out of the blue?
    As far as I know, the Imperial Troop Transporter was an all-new design by Kenner. It deviated greatly from its original protoype too:

Here is a shot of the Imperial Troop Transporter from Marvel #31 (January 1980):

Although it partially resembles the small passenger transport vehicle in Echo Base on Hoth in ESB, there were a number of sketches done by McQuarrie for SW that resemble it closer than the Imperial Troop Transporter.
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Looks like the result of breeding X-Wings with Snow Speeders.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDengar View Post
    A vehicle similar like the Imperial Troop Transport appeared in Echo Base.

I think in this way Lucas Film gave some extra credits to this toy and promoted its status from extended universe toy to OT toy.

The vehicle also appears on the cardboard of the Rebel Commander Center (sorry no other pic available in my archive, it is just right from Leia's head).
    Thank you! I always thought in the back of my mind that this was an on screen toy. While not 100% accurate, I still consider this to be the "Kenner version" of what we see in the movie.

On another note, does anyone know how to fix these? I recently bought one from ebay, but the sound box no longer works. The battery box does not have corrosion.
    Last edited by DJ121; 02-01-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Ive fixed a several of these. Its probably the most difficult to repair. Its hard to explain but there is a great website I used that shows step by step. Its at home. I can find it when I get home.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast