Thread: 1983 Darth Vader Crochet Rug

1983 Darth Vader Crochet Rug

Hi,
    New to the forum and thought I'd post a picture of something I've had since childhood. It's a knit rug of Darth Vader. If I remember correctly, a friend of my mothers made it for me from a pattern/kit that was purchased at one of those yarn barn type places but I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Anyone seen anything like this?
    Last edited by wassermj; 10-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.

That is epically awesome. This was one of a series of latchhook rug kits issued in 1980. The kits those came in had Kenner style graphics and are very sought after ($150-200 range). The completed rugs, though more rare I think, are not as widely collected. If you wanted to sell I don't think you'd have a problem getting $100 or so as it looks to be very well done and in nice shape and has the whole Vader thing going for it.
    My collection
    Need High Grade Offerless ROTJ 65 Backs: Ugnaught, Jawa, Hoth Rebel Soldier - 77 backs: FX-7, Luke Bespin, Orig Leia
    Follow the 'Chive Cast on Twitter

Thanks! I figured someone on here would know what it was. I didn't realize it was empire era which is cool. I only wish I had kept my other stuff as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro12345 View Post
    That is epically awesome. This was one of a series of latchhook rug kits issued in 1980. The kits those came in had Kenner style graphics and are very sought after ($150-200 range). The completed rugs, though more rare I think, are not as widely collected. If you wanted to sell I don't think you'd have a problem getting $100 or so as it looks to be very well done and in nice shape and has the whole Vader thing going for it.

These were from the ESB Lee Wards line. They produced rug and pillow kits, both of which are very, very tough to find MIB.
    Personally, I think the graphics and box design from this line are some of the best for any vintage item(s) hands down, and
    this is what really has contributed to their popularity.
    Here is an example of a pillow kit MIB from my collection:

I agree, these aren't cheap, but at least you can see how dynamic the packaging is. The main
    reason a lot of these are so rare is that this isn't something that people wouldn't have really
    thought about to put away or save, as they did with the toys.

Bill
    Buying Rare and Unusual Darth Vader Items; Vintage and New
    Check out The Darth Vader Toy Museum at: www.sithtoys.com

I just picked up a chewbacca latch hook rug kit. MISB from a member here. I then landed a completed rug on ebay. they go really nice together. They are hard to find, I think Brians toys had a complete set several years ago on ebay for 1000.00.
    LOOKING FOR: Chewbacca items, ANY Chewbacca items. The odder the better.

I agree the packaging is terrific. Thanks for sharing it.

Congrats, Wassermj, on finding your childhood latch hook Vader rug. That is so cool.

and, Bill - I didn't know they made pillow kits too. Vader's head is really cool against the red background - and the box design is just pure SW vintage goodness. Thanks for the pic.

cheers, Paul
    imperialgunnery.com The latest on Repro and Original SW action figure accessories!

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org Recognise these toys? Cool toy ads from the 1970s and 80s!

I have an R2-D2 similar to this hanging on my wall which was handed down to me from my babysitter from when I was a kid. It MUST be from the same line. I will have to take a pic!

Too bad I don't have the packaging - it is neat!
    TK-2523
    Seeking: Revan lightsabers, Royal Starship, AT-ACT
    GM Cereal Pens - NEED:
    Anakin, Mace; 4 Trade: OB1, Chewie, Clone
    MY FEEDBACK

Wow. That is really cool. Congrats.
    WTB Boots and Legs
    Feedback me timbers
    "Could you pick a harder focus?" - DarthBerizing

I have some additional information...it's freakin awesome.