Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Editing Limitations And You

Thanks Philip for coming here and explaining the reasoning behind this new policy. I think most of the concern has been a lack of a reason given for this as an answer of "It's the new policy and it's not up for discussion" doesn't sit well. I think the reason you give is most definitely a valid one as I have seen many posts deleted that should have remained. I know there are bugs to be worked out regarding who, what, when and where editing of posts will be allowed but I am sure a happy medium will be reached. But remember, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Mike
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    Looking for SWS.com's Vader's Trap print #14
    Looking for R2 Prototypes MOC's & Cobot too! Also Droids R2 Original Art

Any news on this??

I still think making the first post editable in all section wouldnt do harm to history and solve the problem in the most easiest way! I mean how many first posts where deleted to "change history" in the last 2 years?? My guess would be far below 1%....but I honestly have no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Wise View Post
    Fundamentally, a forum that can have its content edited and changed is not the record of posting that I wish to continue. I'm not in favor of having the ability to change history.
    Thanks Philip. I figured it was probably a policy issue rather than a technical one. I appreciate you taking the time to explain, and though I find the new editing limitations inconvenient, I respect your reason for the new rules.

Leif
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Wise View Post
    Fundamentally, a forum that can have its content edited and changed is not the record of posting that I wish to continue. I'm not in favor of having the ability to change history.

This means in general posting, if you don't mean to say it, you shouldn't. If you mean to say it, you should think about it before you write it and you should write it well. If you are concerned about spelling, grammar or other mistakes, you should take advantage of the two days you have to edit your posts, or possibly think about it more as you actually write it.

Hi Philip. I understand your interest in preserving posts as they were created within that two day window... but I just realized that there's a problem. The new no edit rules could actually work against that goal in some cases. Suppose I am commenting in someone else's thread, so my post isn't the first in the thread, and I have something historically significant to contribute. This is a pretty common scenario. I create my post and include some pictures that are essential to the value of the post. Say something like this...

I found that the first shot AT-ST driver pistol has some sculpt differences compared to production version of the same pistol. Check the picture:

Lets say a month goes by and I can no longer edit the post. Then I accidentally delete the wrong image from my photos, or reorganize my photos and move it to a new album.

I found that the first shot AT-ST driver pistol has some sculpt differences compared to production version of the same pistol. Check the picture:

The post then loses part of its significance, and there's no way for me to fix it.

This could be potentially more of an issue after the server move. I noticed that many of my early photos are missing, and didn't appear to get transfered over. I might be able to locate some and reload them, but the threads these photos appear in would be uneditable to me, and so they are likely now all imageless. I wouldn't be able to go through them and re-link the picture's new URLs.

Leif
    Last edited by Leif_G; 10-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

I can only think of one person that went back and removed all his posts in the vintage section and that was Joe (sw3packs) I don't know the reason for that and sure it sucks when you read old threads and have no idea where the conversation is going because someone deleted their post but was this problem really that big of a deal within the other sections of RS? Enough to come up with this rule?

No doubt some people did use the edit feature to their advantage but on the flip side that's why members have access to a quote button, we can quote unedited posts before people have a chance to change them and usually that is what happens when someone posts something that could later be edited to withhold information or change the outcome of a thread to better suit them (thinking along the lines of "watch out" threads where it can become a he said she said slang match between members trying to resolve an issue)

There seems to be a lot of cons and not a lot of pros to all this from my point of view.
    Happy buyers, happy sellers >> RS Feedback
    All you ever wanted to know about Trilogos >>www.trilogo.info
    Things I'm looking for >> WTB:ALL 8D8 Pre Prod!

I wonder how many posts were reported to the mods as inappropriate then the poster edited the offending post before the mod was able to see it and thus couldnt really do anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spookymufu View Post
    I wonder how many posts were reported to the mods as inappropriate then the poster edited the offending post before the mod was able to see it and thus couldnt really do anything about it?
    i'm pretty sure that the mod received an email that included the original offensive post, not sure how the new board works.
    To Ani, Han, and Jag, the luckiest men in the Galaxy

Always looking to buy rare, unique, and interesting Padme stuff. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen_Marek View Post
    i'm pretty sure that the mod received an email that included the original offensive post, not sure how the new board works.
    just spit balling as to another possible reason why the editing rules have come about

Thanks for the explanation. Any news or developments in terms of what is planned to allow us to edit posts?

I have had an ongoing 'WTB/WTT' list in my Feedback thread which I have managed for years now. It's definitely something I hope I can continue to utilize.
    Last edited by JTKenobi; 10-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    TK-2523
    Seeking: Revan lightsabers, Royal Starship, AT-ACT
    GM Cereal Pens - NEED:
    Anakin, Mace; 4 Trade: OB1, Chewie, Clone
    MY FEEDBACK

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast