Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Post Editing Limitations And You

Banned

•    
    dude, if they had to do that for everyone that would be a huge pain the butt...they do a great job...

I just like to edit my posts because I am not the best speller in the world and I often catch spelling errors later. Sometimes I read my posts and realize my wording made no sense, so I go back and clarify things. It always cracks me up when I read a post I made and I can't understand what the heck I was trying to say in the first place XD

Now that Photobucket has changed the rules on third party hosting, a lot of threads are now irrelevant, since the pics are gone: If editing was possible, they could be replaced.
    take a look at my Millennium Falcon project at: http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1003955

Quote Originally Posted by rogue1 View Post
    Now that Photobucket has changed the rules on third party hosting, a lot of threads are now irrelevant, since the pics are gone: If editing was possible, they could be replaced.
    Unfortunately it also goes the other way, if we allowed unlimited editing people who for some reason might be disgruntled with the Forum would wholesale wipe out their entire posting history which would end up making the forum a complete mess. It's a conundrum for sure.
    Maybe I'm an Admin still? Who knows!

On the TFN boards I've told the folks in the forums I mod that I'll take things on a case-by-case basis. One of those forums is Collecting and quite a few people had posted collection pictures via Photobucket. I can see doing some link updates there if asked but I can't see the point on something like older pages in a news or social thread, for example. We already decided unlimited edit time in forums which don't already have it (mostly Fan Fiction ones) would be open to abuse.

Maybe offering some editing in the limelight sections of the forum
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

The way of the modern world, it seems: Restrict everyone, just in case a few go overboard. Next stop, posts get previewed before the masses can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
    Unfortunately it also goes the other way, if we allowed unlimited editing people who for some reason might be disgruntled with the Forum would wholesale wipe out their entire posting history which would end up making the forum a complete mess. It's a conundrum for sure.
    take a look at my Millennium Falcon project at: http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1003955

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
    The staff at The Dented Helmet seem to have found a way to migrate all of the old photos from photobucket back into the threads; could that work here too?

For what it's worth I'm a fan of curtailed editing rights in general. I find it infuriating when reading old threads on other forums where people have made large wholesale changes to discussions in order to unsay something or withdraw information they no longer wished people to have. Even when editing posts in other forums now I prefer to make those changes under a subheading so it's possible to see what was said before and what was said after.

Post editing should have a time limit. Editing isn't allowed after 10 minutes or so.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718