Page 139 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1402

Thread: ► Sergiu/Jkno's Imperial Command Center 3 ◄

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Hey Serg, PM me. I own quite an extensive amount of old SW and Prequels magazines that I have kept inside plastic sleeving, in a binder for decades. If there are any you need we can see what we can do.
    Thanks Travis. The next books/artbooks on my list are the trio of The Art of Star Wars (ANH, ESB, ROTJ), these ones, but there are a few things that I need to get first before looking for these books:

COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Thanks Travis. The next books/artbooks on my list are the trio of The Art of Star Wars (ANH, ESB, ROTJ), these ones, but there are a few things that I need to get first before looking for these books:

I gotcha. Yeah, I don't have those but good luck hunting !
    He's no good to me dead!

I gotcha. Yeah, I don't have those but good luck hunting !
    Thanks, these or the second edition (with 16 more pages) will join my collection some day. I'm hunting only OT books, with minor exceptions.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

What I have been into (book wise) are the larger format hardcovers, either OT or PT. I prefer compilations like Star Wars Chronicles or SW Chronicles the Prequels that cover all the films. It's why I also love the costumes and dressing the galaxy ones, or even Dark Horses Panel to Panel because they cover all the films and even the TV items.

I would love to get specific hardcovers like the ones for SW, ESB, ROTJ that were released in the last 5 years but my issue is and always has been space. I have one shelf in my book cases for actual books, and it is filled to the brim. I also collect sports gear (specifically baseball) and it takes up nearly 2 full rooms, so again SW and especially the books have to suffer.

Sucks when you are a collector, because as you say in your tag line it mutates and doesn't go away haha.
    He's no good to me dead!

I gave up on the SW novels long ago, though I still have some in English, and all the Romanian book sets (about 30). But I tried to get all the books that discuss OT from the behind the scenes, movie making, prop making etc. point of view: SW Costumes, Archives, McQuarrie, both Chronicles, Making of SW Trilogy, Storyboards, Blueprints, Sculpting a Galaxy, Objets du mythe, etc. And I get you about space, it is an issue for most collectors, this is why we need to focus to find a way in getting what we like and display it, and not just having stuff in contless boxes.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

I gave up on the SW novels long ago, though I still have some in English, and all the Romanian book sets (about 30). But I tried to get all the books that discuss OT from the behind the scenes, movie making, prop making etc. point of view: SW Costumes, Archives, McQuarrie, both Chronicles, Making of SW Trilogy, Storyboards, Blueprints, Sculpting a Galaxy, Objets du mythe, etc. And I get you about space, it is an issue for most collectors, this is why we need to focus to find a way in getting what we like and display it, and not just having stuff in countless boxes.
    Oh yes indeed. When there was that "dark times" between 1984-1990 with no new content, I bought up all the novel hardcovers. I even went back and filled my collection as a then working teen with the original SW books in hardcover form from local bookshops, flea markets. Plus I had all the Han Solo, Lando, Splinter of the Minds Eyes books as well. As I graduated college I saw this was a never ending onslaught so I stopped at the Vader book released right after ROTS.

Since then, like you, I have only got the Behind the Scenes, making of or Archive / Chronicle type books.

I literally in the last two months dumped about a room full of items in auctions or to local shops. I had 4 whole boxes from our recent move, and none were opened. I told my wife I felt like I had a legitimate problem. So I sold those off along with about another half a rooms worth of sports gear, all in closets or boxes. I also subscribe to that theory, if it isn't being displayed WHY do I own it then? Because to me, that makes you a hoarder .
    Last edited by Django; 08-25-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    He's no good to me dead!

Oh yes indeed. When there was that "dark times" between 1984-1990 with no new content, I bought up all the novel hardcovers. I even went back and filled my collection as a then working teen with the original SW books in hardcover form from local bookshops, flea markets. Plus I had all the Han Solo, Lando, Splinter of the Minds Eyes books as well. As I graduated college I saw this was a never ending onslaught so I stopped at the Vader book released right after ROTS.

Since then, like you, I have only got the Behind the Scenes, making of or Archive / Chronicle type books.

I literally in the last two months dumped about a room full of items in auctions or to local shops. I had 4 whole boxes from our recent move, and none were opened. I told my wife I felt like I had a legitimate problem. So I sold those off along with about another half a rooms worth of sports gear, all in closets or boxes. I also subscribe to that theory, if it isn't being displayed WHY do I own it then? Because to me, that makes you a hoarder .
    We didn't have any access to SW books (or SW toys for that matter) back then, before 1990, the closest to one was when a friend brought a couple of Hungarian and German magazines which had stuff about SW inside. It was like a treat. SW was always very important to me, from childhood, when you live in a communist country where the totalitarian state doesn't give you heat in the winter, and takes the electrical power off for hours each day, and on TV you only have 4-5 hours praising the communist achievements, you realize you want more. SW was like a tower of freedom for me.

I'm still wondering how did Ceausescu allow ANH and ESB in cinemas back then (no ROTJ though - had to watch it on VHS - he might have been afraid to be overthrown like Palpatine), glad I was able to watch them with my dad. The ANH scene with the Star Destroyer and then the Stormtroopers entering Tantive 4 changed everything for me to this day.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

We didn't have any access to SW books (or SW toys for that matter) back then, before 1990, the closest to one was when a friend brought a couple of Hungarian and German magazines which had stuff about SW inside. It was like a treat. SW was always very important to me, from childhood, when you live in a communist country where the totalitarian state doesn't give you heat in the winter, and takes the electrical power off for hours each day, and on TV you only have 4-5 hours praising the communist achievements, you realize you want more. SW was like a tower of freedom for me.

I'm still wondering how did Ceausescu allow ANH and ESB in cinemas back then (no ROTJ though - had to watch it on VHS - he might have been afraid to be overthrown like Palpatine), glad I was able to watch them with my dad. The ANH scene with the Star Destroyer and then the Stormtroopers entering Tantive 4 changed everything for me to this day.
    Indeed, thanks for sharing that Serg. People in modern times forget the painful lessons of history all too easily.
    He's no good to me dead!

Thanks for sharing that Sergiu. I admire you and your country for having overcome the abuse, lack of freedom and human rights a regime of that sort produces. I've seen recent documentaries of Romania and Hungary (where my cousin lives by the way), and you can tell the difference between what they once were under communism and what they are today after the fall of the USSR. Something to be learned nowadays by younger generations that have never heard of it nor experienced this type of oppressive system. As a matter of fact, you are an example of what freedom of expression can do to a person and his/her positive intellectual development in life. Now you are on top that tower!
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-25-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

Indeed, thanks for sharing that Serg. People in modern times forget the painful lessons of history all too easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Sergiu. I admire you and your country for having overcome the abuse, lack of freedom and human rights a regime of that sort produces. I've seen recent documentaries of Romania and Hungary (where my cousin lives by the way), and you can tell the difference between what they once were under communism and what they are today after the fall of the USSR. Something to be learned nowadays by younger generations that have never heard of it nor experienced this type of oppressive system. As a matter of fact, you are an example of what freedom of expression can do to a person and his/her positive intellectual development in life. Now you are on top that tower!
    People have a tendency to idealize what happened in the past, and see too many things in a more positive way. There are not many positive things to be said about communism here, if at all. When some millennials want communism to return or come to their countries they should think again. Maybe take a visit to North Korea and do something against the regime there, to get imprisoned to realize what freedom of speech, freedom of movement, and especially freedom of thinking is, and how they are now missing it all. Communism is no better than Nazism. Both these awful regimes imprisoned and killed millions of innocents because of faulty ideologies, that some today still think are ok. They are not ok!
    Last edited by Sergiu; 08-26-2019 at 04:20 AM.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Page 139 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 LastLast