Page 1510 of 1552 FirstFirst ... 5101010141014601500150815091510151115121520 ... LastLast
Results 15,091 to 15,100 of 15514

Thread: The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

I just go to Target and wear My Vader getup I tell them it would be unwise not to let me dig through the back. oh and then I show them my Rebelscum card....lol

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    I'm not being disingenuous at all. Obviously I know that scalpers exist - I've been collecting for over 30 years. But this day in age we ALL have access to the same information. When stuff starts to hit retail all you need to do is log on to this forum and you'll know what states are seeing product in almost real time. It's not the 90s anymore where the so-called scalper had a "in" with a local employee and got cases before they hit the floor. You/me/any of us have the same exact information and chance to obtain this stuff as the scalper does. Most of time collectors are blaming scalpers but in reality it was probably just another collector that got there first.

Third parties that sell on Amazon have to cover product cost, Amazon fees, shipping, employees etc. Does that make the fact that they list stuff for 30% more then it sells for at retail ok? Not really but that is there business. Believe me it bothers me to no end when I see Walmart exclusives being sold by third parties on Walmart's site for double the price. You know what I do - not buy it. As for e-Bay...what are we going to do? I sell on e-Bay all the time. I have no issue picking up 2 of a new/hot figure that I have been fortunate enough to find and listing one on e-Bay for retail price. After bidding I will at least make my money back and more then likely it will offset the cost of the figure I kept for myself. Some jabroni in Osh Kosh where the Walmart or Target isn't stocking this stuff has a chance to bid on something and pay what he is comfortable paying for it.

I'll be honest the toy show guys do kind of bother me just because most of them seem so sleazy. With those guys it just blatantly obvious they wiped out the stores and are putting $40 price tags on new figures. At the same time they have to cover the cost of travel, the table/spot, food for the day etc. Again though...what are we going to do? Scalpers exist because schmucks buy from them.
    I was told by one TRU employee that was a former student of mine (I used to be a teacher) that there was a guy that bought out of the back room at the TRU where he worked. He paid one of the other employees a few bucks to get that access. Sleazy is the right word. I guess now with retail not putting anything on shelves, people buy online or where they can. I have now resorted to buying what I REALLY really want online and going to stores occasionally to see if anything else is there. My Walmart currently doesn't even have pegs for anything beyond Lightsabers and 2 pegs for 6". No lie.

I've sold things on e-bay, but rarely anything that I purchased at retail with the sole intent to sell on e-bay.

**Full disclosure** The TRU student/employee held some stuff for me a few times, but I never buy more than one of anything.
    Last edited by keknivek; 06-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I was told by one TRU employee that was a former student of mine (I used to be a teacher) that there was a guy that bought out of the back room at the TRU where he worked. He paid one of the other employees a few bucks to get that access. Sleazy is the right word. I guess now with retail not putting anything on shelves, people buy online or where they can. I have now resorted to buying what I REALLY really want online and going to stores occasionally to see if anything else is there. My Walmart currently doesn't even have pegs for anything beyond Lightsabers and 2 pegs for 6". No lie.

I've sold things on e-bay, but rarely anything that I purchased at retail with the sole intent to sell on e-bay.

**Full disclosure** The TRU student/employee held some stuff for me a few times, but I never buy more than one of anything.
    One of our local Walmart stores had the same exact set up for Star Wars merchandise but get this - there hasn't been a lightsaber there since Christmas and all they have as far as 6" is a peg full of Padme. That's it's.

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    One of our local Walmart stores had the same exact set up for Star Wars merchandise but get this - there hasn't been a lightsaber there since Christmas and all they have as far as 6" is a peg full of Padme. That's it's.
    I've gone to a few different Walmarts and seen the same. The Star Wars sections are nonexistent. I spoke to one of the employees that I've seen there a lot and they just don't have a clue. How you can work a toy section for years and not have any idea what is going on is beyond me. I imagine I know more about that store toy section than any of their employees... and I barely bother anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth1977Fan View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys! It makes sense now why I can't find any new VC cards at Target/Walmart. The only new VC card they are currently stocking is Han Solo/Stormtrooper outfit as each Target has atleast 4-5 everytime I go. I literally go on Weekends (and sometimes on Monday as that is when Target stocks their shelves), and the SW section is a ghost-town compared to the Prequels era as it is no different than any franchise now in terms of space. Star Wars used to literally get it's own section that stuck out, and it sort of saddens me that it's just another franchise now.

Any ides for online shopping regarding VC's (new and old) other than Ebay?

Thanks again!
    Ebay is often unfortunately the best option, and the prices are usually rather high. It’s true that there’s not enough product on the shelves—no one can sincerely argue against that. But I agree with the “hopefuls” that more campaigning is better than just giving up (it’s clear that EVERYBODY here wants more numbers, more diversity, more availability, more newness, but just have different ways of dealing with the reality).
    Did you enjoy my little storm, Ewoks?”—Morag the Tulgah Witch

Quote Originally Posted by Tulgah View Post
    Ebay is often unfortunately the best option, and the prices are usually rather high. It’s true that there’s not enough product on the shelves—no one can sincerely argue against that. But I agree with the “hopefuls” that more campaigning is better than just giving up (it’s clear that EVERYBODY here wants more numbers, more diversity, more availability, more newness, but just have different ways of dealing with the reality).
    I have bought a lot of older VC's on Ebay (most prices are ridiculous, so I am patient and wait for the right deal). It's just frustrating that new VC's don't even hit my local Target/Walmart as you think they would initially carry them on their release date. Walmart is probably the worst as their shelves are bare boned when it comes to VC's as my local Sears has a better selection.

You’re right. It didn’t used to be so, but it is now.
    Did you enjoy my little storm, Ewoks?”—Morag the Tulgah Witch

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I've gone to a few different Walmarts and seen the same. The Star Wars sections are nonexistent. I spoke to one of the employees that I've seen there a lot and they just don't have a clue. How you can work a toy section for years and not have any idea what is going on is beyond me. I imagine I know more about that store toy section than any of their employees... and I barely bother anymore.
    because walmart and many other corporations give frontline employees as little responsibility and knowledge as possible to ensure those employees are beyond easily replaceable and so they can keep wages at the poverty level.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Yeah I’ve never really gotten why people are so shocked when an employee doesn’t know every single detail in and out about whatever section their stocking. Especially in a big retailer like Wal-Mart. Star Wars toys are just a tiny fraction of everything in that section, let alone the entire store. There’s a lot of stuff to keep up with. It’s delusional to expect them to be experts. It’s just a retail gig and they’re probably just trying to pay their bills. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStarkiller View Post
    Yeah I’ve never really gotten why people are so shocked when an employee doesn’t know every single detail in and out about whatever section their stocking. Especially in a big retailer like Wal-Mart. Star Wars toys are just a tiny fraction of everything in that section, let alone the entire store. There’s a lot of stuff to keep up with. It’s delusional to expect them to be experts. It’s just a retail gig and they’re probably just trying to pay their bills. Nothing wrong with that.
    I agree. My statement was more about the amount of time spent working there. Expert, no. Competent, yes.

I realize it's Walmart but I would have to make a real effort to not know anything about a section of about 6-8 rows of product that I spent 30-40 hours a week with for multiple years.

Page 1510 of 1552 FirstFirst ... 5101010141014601500150815091510151115121520 ... LastLast