Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Re: Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oryeman

Oh never put your phone number on a Craigslist ad LOL thats a big no-no
    Oh man, I learned this the hard way, posting an ad for my business.
    Feedback
    WTB: Leia Boushh & Rebo Band Pre-Production

•    

Quote Originally Posted by jedikt
    Strikeofthebeast-- You are SO right! Most toy or collectible shows are just that...guys SHOWING their inventory, and not budging an inch on their inflated prices. When any of them turn down my reasonable offer, I just say "Thanks for SHOWING your toys today! Have fun packing them up and taking them home again!" Occasionally you can even see the concern on their faces.
    As someone that has been on both sides of the dealer table, so to speak, I can maybe add a different perspective on the dealer/customer relationship. I've never met a dealer who is dead-set on going home with zero inventory. I'm sure every dealer is thrilled to sell some toys, but very few are desperate to the point of grumbling about having to cart some stuff home. Most of my dealer friends are also collectors and setting up at toy shows is part of the hobby: a chance to hang out, chat with acquaintances, and maybe get out of town for a day or so. We all know the drill: dealers "want too much" for their stuff and buyers "don't want to pay anything" for their stuff. I've seen dealers with $200 on loose X-Wings which is, of course, ridiculous. As a dealer, however, I've had rude, childish shoppers guffaw at prices that they thought were too high. Two years ago, while set up at a show, I had $200 on a near-minty 12-back Sandpeople that was a bargain at twice the price. Some turd offered me $75 for it and started running his mouth when I politely declined the offer. Didn't matter. Remember, dealers are not obligated to accept offers and you can always vote with your dollar.

As for Craiglist and other over-estimated Star Wars values, remember that the vast majority of these people are not Star Wars collectors and probably know next to nothing about the hobby. They're simply trying to maximize the money they may get for their old toys while trying not to get rooked. Yep, most of them are grossly overestimating the value of their items but after a while, reality will set in when they still have no buyers.
    "enjoy your day placing vlixes in your mouth"

I found one near me! I don't know why I have not jumped on this bargin already, but here it is.
    http://maine.craigslist.org/clt/2288105635.html

Here are some of my philosophies.

If you want top dollar and want to remind me what things sell for on eBay (when I know better than YOU do), then get off your lazy a** and sell it on eBay. Not on CL, not at a garage sale.

If I went to a garage sale and saw a vinyl cape Jawa or Blue Snaggletooth in a box for .50, I would buy it and not say a word. Some might see that as slimy. But that's the price they gave me and they chose to just sell it at a yard sale without any research, so that's that. I've had it happen to me and it is annoying, but it's ultimately was my fault.

If somebody contacted me on CL with stuff to sell, I will try to make a fair offer to make it worth both of our time.

I've met some good dealers, but I'm also met some who were the scum of the earth. People who take pride in selling something for 10 times what it's worth just to amuse themselves and make jerks out of people, so they could brag about it.

There is a local guy by me. This imbecile's store is so overstocked, two people have to walk single file and most stuff you cannot even get out. He refuses to cut any deals and everything is marked way higher than eBay. This guy is a crook and he knows it and obviously has no problem with it.

I don't see this thread ever dying out, ha

yet, another one.
    Feedback

I like this one for its simple optimism.

ROTS Coin

Quote Originally Posted by Spassvogel

I like this one for its simple optimism.

ROTS Coin
    I love how these guys are always able to predict the future as well. "this will only go up in value" begs the question, "so why aren't you keeping it?"
    Feedback

Yoda's lesser known counterpart, Yoga
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by rupert
    Yoda's lesser known counterpart, Yoga
    Its yogurt!!! My the Schwartz be with you!

Don't they teach spelling in school anymore?
    Thanks,
    Matthew (formerly Darth_Steve)
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1063787/

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast