Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Nostalgia for the 12" Hasbro figures (1996 - 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    Thanks for the reminder of the 12" BF OTC version; I had forgotten about that. IIRC I did see it in stores, but passed on it since I already had the 1998 Kay-bee exclusive (electronic) which to me looked fantastic.

It looks like the 12" OTC version (2004?!) has a similar sculpt to the '98 version, but you're right that the neck is slightly different. Also, I like how the cloth bags/sacks?! on the belt & legs of the '98 version are much less "baggy" & less intrusive when compared to the bags on the 2004 version.
    Yeah, funny how every time they produce.. it's as if there's always one "feature" that is better or worse than it's predecessor. Good neck armor one one, but not the other, better"bags" on one, better coloring on one than another (Also don't forget the "blue" variation on the OTC 12" Fett.. no idea why they produced to for any other reason than a money grab.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

I forgot to mention in all of my previous posts that I really regret not getting the 12" Jango Fett with the missle-firing backpack, back in 2002. At the time, I wasn't collecting that many AOTC figures (either 12" or the 3.75" versions); I liked the film, but the figures/vehicles didn't make a huge impression on me - though I did get some of them. In any case, when I first saw this JF, I thought about getting it - but didn't like the fact that it was a "deluxe" figure that you had to "dress" in the armor - it seemed like a lot of trouble. Plus, it was twice the price of the regular figures ($40 instead of $20).

http://www.rebelscum.com/saga12jango.asp

That being said, over the years I regretted this - especially since the figure looks great outfitted, and I also like the missle-firing backpack feature.

Now, it's going for big bucks - that I'm definitely not going to pay. I.e., if $40 was too much years ago, there is no way in he$$ I'm paying upwards of $60-70 (or more) for this - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett14 View Post
    Yeah, funny how every time they produce.. it's as if there's always one "feature" that is better or worse than it's predecessor. Good neck armor one one, but not the other, better"bags" on one, better coloring on one than another (Also don't forget the "blue" variation on the OTC 12" Fett.. no idea why they produced to for any other reason than a money grab.
    Good point. Each successive revision of a figure is typically slightly different than the previous version.

In the case of these three Boba Fett Hasbro 12" figures, I'd rank them this way:

12" Boba Fett Electronic version w/sound - Kay bee Exclusive (1998): Excellent toy! Simply fantastic sculpt, and the electronics make this slightly more cooler than it would be without them - nice feature. The bags/pockets on the belt are very non-obtrusive & IMHO look perfect.

12" BF - Saga version (2004): Decent figure, and the neck is slightly better than the '98 version. However, the pockets/bags are a much too big/obvious for my taste.

12" BF - original "Action Collection" (1997): Terrible figure - the body sculpt is OK, but the pin-head is way too small. Looks like crap. I unloaded mine years ago (after I got the superior 1998 version). Not sure why they just didn't give the figure the correctly sized head the first time.

I recently bought the Ewok 2 pack (Leektar and Logray) and Biker Scout from the 2003 wave. I'm really impressed with these guys - this wave was poorly distributed as it was a temporary end of the 12" line at the time, so I never obtained them. Its hard to believe these 12" figures were only $20 each back then, same as the current 6" line. Would they be $50 today? Probably. I was considering getting the Sideshow Scout Trooper, but honestly this Scout is just as nice and so much cheaper. And for display purposes the $20 Speeder Bike that came out a few years back is sufficient to pose him on and again, a huge savings over Sideshow's Bike. The Ewoks have amazing painted details and a lot of nice accessories included. Nowadays we get 12" shampoo bottles from Hasbro with one or no accessories and 5POA - what happened to this company? I guess plastic prices must have skyrocketed plus inflation but still... Aside from the 2017 Yoda with snake, which I did pick up because I love Yoda, there hasnt really been a great 12" figure from Hasbro since the early 2000's. I will always have a lot of love for the classic Hasbro 12"ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepp_Head View Post
    I recently bought the Ewok 2 pack (Leektar and Logray) and Biker Scout from the 2003 wave. I'm really impressed with these guys - this wave was poorly distributed as it was a temporary end of the 12" line at the time, so I never obtained them. Its hard to believe these 12" figures were only $20 each back then, same as the current 6" line.
    Great score. I always wanted to get the 2003 12" Biker Scout & Ewok 2-pack, but never saw these in stores - despite the fact that I was collecting these figures at the time. As you said, they were very HTF. I also can't believe the $20 retail price tag for these - even at the time, I thought it was a great price, given that many of these figures looked great, had cloth outfits, etc. I was extremely disappointed when the line ended in 2005.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678