Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diorama-making tutorials w/pics

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue82 View Post
    I haven't tried this myself but having read it on a model train forum someone mentioned taking a fibre optic cable and rubbing the outside with sandpaper to allow light to come through. The cable can then be shaped and pinned however you need. You may need to use some plastic in front of it to refract it maybe place some foil behind it.

Edit: found the info. It's in this video
    Thanks for the tip and link...I thought about fiber optics at one point but I thought they would be too expensive so I didn't look into them...I guess I should have.
    Last edited by MasterTyvokka; 06-03-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    When 900 years old you reach look as good you will not.
    My Feedback

i get my fiberoptics from
    The Fiber Optic Store.com

they have great prices and shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Spookymufu View Post
    i get my fiberoptics from
    The Fiber Optic Store.com

they have great prices and shipping
    Thanks for the link...I actually discovered the site just before you posted...just curious what size cable do you use? What is best? I was looking at the combo spools and thinking about getting the one with 50ft of cable from .25mm to 1.0mm...
    When 900 years old you reach look as good you will not.
    My Feedback

the size of course depends on the application. I used .75mm and 2.0mm in my Hoth dio

Just curious - has anyone tried using corrugated plastic sheets rather than foam board when making dios? It seems it would be much more sturdy, but I'm not sure if there are reasons not to use it...
    Hasbro, hear my plea for the Rickshaw Droid!
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, BD-3000 "Betty droid".
    My feedback thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t858622/

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere. But does anyone have any good ideas about easy to find, cheap materials that I could use to make the "distillery" part of the Cantina bar. I am trying to go for something like this, and I have been using these images as inspiration;

I am wracking my brain to come up with easy solutions for the parts. The IG-88 figure is no longer easy/cheap to come across to use its head. I had a thought to use some fuse's and paint them solid? No detail on them, but they might work?
    And I cant come up with a good idea for the straight "piping". It seems like the top image used some kind of model kit? Does anyone know of some wire that could be used?

I am less concerned about the actual bar unit, cos I am thinking of using foam board or balsa wood for that.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any good ideas?
    Last edited by Idpullthecurtain; 06-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

This might be a ridiculous question, but have you considered casting IG-88's head? It'd be fairly easy and that way you could have multiples without spending a fortune. Granted you'd have to buy the materials which I guess could cost the same as buying a few guys, but then at least you'd have the ability to mold and cast other stuff.

The piping I would say just go with the styrene piping or tubing...easiest and cheapest. Just a few thoughts for you...

Good luck!
    "Captain Solo, even the Universe itself is curved my friend...if you run far enough and fast enough, you end up, right where you began..."

-Ben to Han in the ANH Radio Dramas

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTyvokka View Post
    So has anyone tried to make lighted "neon type" signs. Like the kind that might be seen on Coruscant or other city planets. I was thinking about using clear acrylic and some colored LEDs. Also what might be the best way to make the aurebesh letters...any ideas? Thanks
    Surprised I just noticed this! The easiest way I've found is to make the neon sign out of wire, like paperclip wire, paint it in fluorescent paint and light it with a black light LED. Don't have any pics, but it looks awesome!

Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I can't admit to on a first date.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by my_kind_of_scum View Post
    Just curious - has anyone tried using corrugated plastic sheets rather than foam board when making dios? It seems it would be much more sturdy, but I'm not sure if there are reasons not to use it...
    when you say corrugated do you mean like HIPS? High Impact PolyStyrene Sheets?

I know certain styrene you can thermoform and change its shape as well, (which is how some costumes are made iirc.. but dont hold me to it im no cosplayer) I've been interested in making dio's with Polystyrene rather then foamboard as well. Not that I'm knocking foamboard I use it to but I to have wanted to start using HIPS for more shipbuilding/dio making ... ala the Executor's bridge.

for an example is Wbobafett's styrene sheet made Khetanna sail barge thread... here
    Last edited by Rezikai; 10-03-2014 at 06:26 AM.

So I wanted to throw together a quick death star diorama and what better way than to use niub niubs decals...except I'm at a loss for the floor. Where do I purchase that high gloss vinyl he uses?? Any help would be appreciated.
    “What’s a Star War?”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast