Thread: Squid Head's belt

Squid Head\'s belt

I'll start by saying how much I LOVE vintage Squid head. I'm not sure why, but as a kid in the early eighties he stood out for me. Maybe it was the fact that he was so alien looking (with such a great head sculpt), or the fabric cloak AND skirt but he always had pride of place in my collection (and still does to this day).
    I recently decided to pick up a couple of carded Squid Heads and a couple of loose examples (for work and home). They all originated in Hong Kong except for one of the carded examples (MIM).

One thing jumped out at me that was different about the Mexican Squidy; I'm not talking the color of his cloak, gun, flesh or eyes; or even the length of his skirt.....it was that the carded MIM had his belt on upside down to all of the Made in H.K. versions (including the carded one).

Is this something that happened a lot back in the day or was it standard for the belt to be put on one way at Lili Ledy and the other way at Kenner Hong Kong?

Sorry if this is a stupid question or been asked before.

Cheers
    *** Keeper of the Legacy of Rassilon ***

Re: Squid Head\'s belt

Hey,

Not a stupid question at all - we all have to start learning somewhere! Most of the MIM carded Squids I've got have the belt upside down. No big deal really

If you need any other info on good ol' Squiddy, just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Adamant
    I'll start by saying how much I LOVE vintage Squid head. I'm not sure why, but as a kid in the early eighties he stood out for me. Maybe it was the fact that he was so alien looking (with such a great head sculpt), or the fabric cloak AND skirt but he always had pride of place in my collection (and still does to this day).
    I recently decided to pick up a couple of carded Squid Heads and a couple of loose examples (for work and home). They all originated in Hong Kong except for one of the carded examples (MIM).

One thing jumped out at me that was different about the Mexican Squidy; I'm not talking the color of his cloak, gun, flesh or eyes; or even the length of his skirt.....it was that the carded MIM had his belt on upside down to all of the Made in H.K. versions (including the carded one).

Is this something that happened a lot back in the day or was it standard for the belt to be put on one way at Lili Ledy and the other way at Kenner Hong Kong?

Sorry if this is a stupid question or been asked before.

Cheers

Thought I'd give this decade old thread a bump, because I was curious about this topic. I recently acquired this figure - and yes I absolutely love it too. Clearly from the ROTJ movie, character still shots, and even the Hasbro Tessek figure, the belt is intended to have the circle pattern on top, while the lined pattern is on the bottom. I have seen carded Kenner samples were this is the case, and I've seen them flipped. With my loose figure, the belt only fits when it is improperly flipped, with the circles down - does this mean that's how it was originally packaged, or could it have been upside down for decades, and simply morphed to fit the body?