Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A grading price paradox

A grading price paradox

I think I have identified a slight paradox in relation to grading and prices. I'll explain below and would be interested to get any opinions.
    I have noticed that very occasionally, an AFA graded carded figure, regardless of overall grade, will get an F95 for the quality of the figure, more often than not on AFA90 overall pieces, but sometimes on 85 etc. The price the figure achieves however, is nearly always related to the overall grade and piece, i.e. AFA85 will command a certain price range, AFA90 another etc.
    With loose figures, AFA95 is so rare, that it seems to command an almost insane premium (I saw a U95 Chewbacca go for 600+).
    Therefore, why not look for carded figures with a sub grade of 95 for the figure, and simply get AFA to loose grade it. (I know this is a shame, but if you intend to sell, it might be the best bet).
    Any thoughts?

Re: A grading price paradox

Wow how greedy can you get ! LOL

I don't collect for profit and I certainly wouldn't break open a graded MOC to send it in for a loose grade based on the fact that it COULD (keyword here because the grading is subjective and could, in fact probably WOULD come back different) just to make some extra

It is a horrible mentality which I don't think a collector would ever support, only a greedy dealer or chancers trying to fund other purchases...is there any limit on what people can think of to get a few extra hundred bucks?

I thought opening bagged figures for U grades was the pits, that is nothing compared to the above!
    Happy buyers, happy sellers >> RS Feedback
    All you ever wanted to know about Trilogos >>www.trilogo.info
    Things I'm looking for >> WTB:ALL 8D8 Pre Prod!

Hello

I personally dont agree with recking perfectly good carded figures just to obtain Ugrades.
    I only agree with it if the figure is on an absolute beater card which is likely to fall of the card anyway.

Only my opinion.

Grant.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

hold on one minute! I am a collector in the first instance before a dealer/trader. I was just pointing out a rather strange idiosyncracy of the graded market and whether anybody had noticed this. Don't shoot the messenger!!

OK then in short - I don't agree and wouldn't support anyone doing this!

I can't even say I would be happy if someone did it and it didn't go to plan because even if they got a [censored] grade on the loose figure they would have ruined a carded figure !

Another thing to take into account is that just because a carded figure has a 95 sub, this doesn't mean it will automatically receive a 95 loose grade. The carded figure grade refers to the overall appearance of the figure in the bubble, the positioning of the weapon, and possibly the piece of plastic behind the figure (if applicable). As the grader can't see behind the figure, one would be taking a risk doing this.

You also need to remember that the grade of the figure as a MOC figure may not be the same as a loose figure. When it is still in the bubble AFA will not be able to determine if there are any flaws on the rear of the figure.

Also, if the figure has been shipped to, lets say the UK, then resold to another country and then someone decides to do this - the figure may have bounced around and had further damage caused.

IN short - the grade given is the grade at that time and not 6 months in the future.

Steve
    Selling My chewie Collection - Check out my Sales Thread.
    WTB - Takara MOC, Tsukuda MOC, Boxed Popy and 12" MIB/MISB Figures.

The figure is graded on what is visible. What if you send in that carded figure that you paid your AFA premium for, and when it is graded, a flaw on the back that you didn't see causes it to get an AFA 70.

Personally I am so over AFA and wish that all of those carded figures sacrificed upon the altar of the holy U grade were back in circulation. How many affordable midgrade carded figures are still available? nowhere near as many. how many bagged figures have met their demise? How many carded figures are now premium priced? even AFA 70's are a premium price over what they would have been in the pre AFA days.
    When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away. -Mitch Hedburg

Quote Originally Posted by ThorOakenfelder
    How many bagged figures have met their demise?
    Even category 1 baggies don't come up as often as they once did, but I see loads of U grade rancor keepers and jabbas goons on ebay

So what were saying is whoever started the U grade should be shot

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast