Page 11 of 1561 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Universe

Re: Marvel Universe

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTheWarmech
    Oh, that's hilarious. Because Indiana Jones failed, right?

It couldn't possibly be because Indiana Jones is a 20 year old movie franchise that isn't exactly mega popular, and isn't heavy on characters. And we know it had nothing to do with the movie being a complete flop at the box office.
    What parallel world do YOU live on? Indiana Jones was pretty mega-popular... Last Crusade broke records in '89 (tho that was a big summer movie year in general, with Ghostbusters 2 topping it soon after, and Batman topping THAT on its opening weekend). Buzz about the new Indy was incredible at SDCC and elsewhere.

And KOTCS took in $317 million domestic. May not be the insane numbers HOPED for, but HARDLY a 'flop'. Certainly enough that they're thinking about #5 now.

Hasbro's character choices, shortcuts, and bad sculpts helped weaken the line, along with the poor decision to put out TWO Mutt Williams figures right away in the basic line. Jacket Mutt sells well... T-shirt Mutt rots. Both are great figures, but there's no reason to get T-shirt Mutt for a film-based collection except to give his switchblade to Jacket Mutt, and then shave down T-shirt's hair and slap some paint on him to make him Sam Witwicky. A man-faced female villain and some awkward Russians didn't help, either, but T-shirt Mutt's the biggest 'flop' of the entire line.

Anyway... I'm not too worried about the Marvel Universe line overall... just about the 1st wave, which mimics the Showdown Wave 1 a little too much for my taste.

Though Indiana Jones is undeniably a popular film series, I don't think it'd do well as an action figure line regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBot
    Though Indiana Jones is undeniably a popular film series, I don't think it'd do well as an action figure line regardless.
    Agreed. I knew from the beginning that the line wouldn't last that long though I didn't think it would die as soon as it did.
    I see no reason why the Marvel line shouldn't have some longevity.

I was comparing it to Indy, but mainly on the basis of the fact that a 4" Marvel line has been done before and tanked. Granted, they weren't the best figures, but kids don't know that and they still didn't sell.
    Don't become dependent on others for your own happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator
    Indiana Jones was pretty mega-popular... Last Crusade broke records in '89
    And KOTCS took in $317 million domestic. May not be the insane numbers HOPED for, but HARDLY a 'flop'. Certainly enough that they're thinking about #5 now.
    I was unaware popularity 20 years ago translated to current popularity. This is a strange parallel world. Or for that matter, that bad movies sometimes make great box office numbers despite thier crappiness.

My point was, however, that Indiana Jones is hardly an action oriented line outside Indiana Jones and a few soldiers. Kids don't say "Gosh, I wish I had a Marcus Brody action figure!".

Marvel, on the other hand, is superheroes, something kids always like, consists of more than old men in suits, and is currently ridiculously popular due to the Spider-man, X-men, Iron Man, and Hulk movies.

There's just really no way to compare the two. I can't even imagine how many more figures they thought they'd get out of it. Maybe 3 from Crystal Skull and the cancelled wave and that's about it.

Personally, Hasbro never should have gotten the license. Their business model of massive numbers is all wrong for something like Indiana Jones, which despite us adult's nostalgia, isn't exactly mega-popular anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnutt
    I was comparing it to Indy, but mainly on the basis of the fact that a 4" Marvel line has been done before and tanked. Granted, they weren't the best figures, but kids don't know that and they still didn't sell.
    Kids did know that- and parents knew they didnt like the 9.99 price tag (I know sometimes you could find them for 8.99)- especially since they were right next to the full scale legends for the same price-- as long as they focus this on being a figure line and not-- a figure based gaming system-with those stupid launchers-(attacktix showed them how that should have been handled) this will do tons better
    Quote Originally Posted by RhyYees
    ..Rancor from the Force Unleashed. Yes, it's painted blue, so arguably it's a Separatist weapon. Besides, think of it. Rancor Cavalry. Yeah, you're pretty much [censored].

Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBot
    Agreed. I knew from the beginning that the line wouldn't last that long though I didn't think it would die as soon as it did.

When I heard they were doing an action figure line for Indy I knew it would be a disaster. There just isn't widespread appeal for this kind of line these days and to make matters worse their execution out of the gate was horrible. If you're trying to make a non-sci-fi / non-super hero toy line with alot of standard "humans", and you're name isn't G.I. Joe, then you're probably going to struggle.

And lest people forget the vintage Indy line didn't exactly tear it up either, although the figures and playsets were pretty neat. I remember when they originally hit the pegs back in the '80s. There's a reason you don't see much vintage Indy out there and that's because it didn't sell that well. The movie franchise, overall, isn't that well designed for toys.
    "This post does not seem to be relevant to reality therefore I am closing it." - Mike Mensinger

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTheWarmech
    Or for that matter, that bad movies sometimes make great box office numbers despite thier crappiness.
    But quality doesn't equal 'flop' or 'success'. My point was that KOTCS was not a flop at the box office, which is what you described it as. Had you said "it wasn't a great movie", then there'd be no argument! The numbers prove it was anything but a flop.

I know Indy wouldn't have been a LONG line, I'd just hoped they would've made some smarter decisions and delivered the major characters. And get the boring ones out in interesting ways, as pack-ins with vehicles & new figures in Battlepacks, if they wouldn't do so well in the basic line.

Anyhoo... the Marvel line should do fine. SHS had lots of problems, but scale wasn't one of 'em inherently. Collectors will still go for them, hopefully kids will as well, to go pair with their GIJoes and Star Wars figures (and hey, Joe was a Marvel comic once upon a time!), their Pirates and Dark Knight (even if those figures are ubercrap) and Infinite Heroes. And Indy! The few they have anyway

Plus, Star Wars aliens would fit right in with Marvels, since there's so many cosmic characters. Set up all your cantina figures, throw in Nova or the Surfer or a Skrull, suddenly it's a Marvel Universe scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator

Plus, Star Wars aliens would fit right in with Marvels, since there's so many cosmic characters. Set up all your cantina figures, throw in Nova or the Surfer or a Skrull, suddenly it's a Marvel Universe scenario!

One thing that is incredibly obvious is now people who customize are going to have an even easier go of it, which I think is awesome. Looking at the compatible 3 3/4" lines from Hasbro, there's a little something for everyone now, now that they'll introduce superheros. Can't wait for the first time I see 'em at retail, that's for sure.
    "This post does not seem to be relevant to reality therefore I am closing it." - Mike Mensinger

Marvel Universe will probably last as long as its still cheaper than the Marvel Legends. If they're only a dollar less than a far bigger Legends figure, then yes, they'll tank. SHS only sold when they got uber cheap. So if they keep the price, even in line with Star Wars or GI-Joe, it should last a while.

Besides, I think the 3.75" scale is perfect for Marvel anyways. Legends scale is great, but they take up a lot more space and really allow a kid to only keep one maybe two with him when s/he goes out. I know when I was a wee lad I used to stuff a few of my favorite Ghostbusters, or Silverhawks figures in my pockets when going on trips to grandma's or to church (when I was reeeeally little) Now thinking about the scale of those two lines, they were only a little bigger than SW scale, but still 'kid pocket' friendly. Legends, they're pretty big.

So by making the scale smaller, and more in line with the other popular 3.75" lines they're opening it up to a lot of cross pollenation. I can see kids carrying a spiderman and a gi-joe and a star wars figure and considering them all part of the same world, since they're all about the same size. Plus if they start making vehicles for the Universe line... like Avengers' Quinjets, Atomic Steeds, Blackbirds, SHIELD Flying cars... maybe playsets... I would love to see an Avenger's Mansion playset or a Danger Room again.

Page 11 of 1561 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast