PDA

View Full Version : Taking a six year old to see transformers

Proxy
07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I mean I'm taking my little six year old cousin to see transformers next week and I've already seen it. But its not the action in the film its some of use of language. Did any of you guys take little kids when you saw the film?

Stuja
07-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Language? You've got to be kidding me...

Proxy
07-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Language? You've got to be kidding me...

No really if you're not gonna contribute, then get out. Thanks!

Dsdude9
07-29-2007, 06:54 PM
There are some curse words but its nothing major IMO

Proxy
07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
There are some curse words but its nothing major IMO

no I know, but still I hope he doesn't get whole seamen joke or sexton, Y'know?

Hail_Lord_Helmet
07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
"I got nothing"....

Proxy
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey he really wants to see the transformers so I guess he won't mind the talking

Hail_Lord_Helmet
07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
From you or the Transformers?

Ian_C
07-29-2007, 08:12 PM
From you or the Transformers?

LOL!!!

Well, I'll be nice to Proxy in here, because it IS a half-decent question.

It all depends on the maturity level of the child, and their ability to sit through a full length movie as well.

My 5 year old wants to see it as well, but I have not taken him. I took him to see X-Men 3 and Spiderman 3, both of which I'm sure have just as much action, and the language is likely comparable too. I may be wrong, but I get the impression the violence level in Transformers is a tad less cartoony and more realistic than those movies though, so I've decided it's not for him.

As far as maturity level goes, if your cousin has a comparable maturity level to what you've displayed the last couple of days, Proxy, then I wouldn't take him to see anything more intense than Barney's Great Adventure.

Ian

TheKid
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Well there was a discussion about Sam's Happy Time...

Dsdude9
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Well there was a discussion about Sam's Happy Time...

The addition to that to the movie was unnecessary IMO

Deak_Starkiller
07-29-2007, 11:39 PM
There were many elements in the movie I thought that weren't necessary if that is Bay/Spielberg's defense on catering to a mass audience, or suffice to say elements which we, as a culture, are so use to seeing nowadays. Even I cringed during that moment with my 9 and 13-year old boys still watching.

Some elements I thought that weren't necessary, or feel that didn't need to be there, were for example, the verbal abusive cop during Sam's interrogation. I mean, is this what Bay/Spielberg want us to view law enforcement officers as? Sure yeah, Sam's getting interrogated but the cop IMO didn't have to take it to another level. Or how about the Sector 7 supervisor making up for his abusive comments to Sam/Mikala by helping defeat Frenzy? I mean, I personally would have liked to see Megatron squash him with his foot the moment he thawed out. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Visually, I think a movie like TF will have scary moments like Scorponok backstabbing the Qatar soldier, that's pretty much a given. It's your discretion on whether your child is old enough to witness these yet alone understand them and will not get turned off by the movie.

Personally as a parent, I'm proud to raise my children to understand the nuances of the kinds of things they are expecting to be facing these days in our culture...peer pressure, [censored], drug abuse, foul language, etc... I'm just less proud of reputable film-makers like Bay/Spielburg who incorporate example elements which I've sited simply because those are elements which they feel will make a movie project marketable enough to turn a profit.

TerdVader
07-30-2007, 11:24 AM
There is the Happy time comment and some language, I probably wouldn't take a 6 year old to see it, but It's not soooooo bad that I would condemn you for doing so. Actually, I'd be surprised if a child of that age could even follow it. It is a Michael Bay film after all, I could barely figure out what was going on during the action sequences and I'm not a spring chicken!

TrooperJake
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
There is the Happy time comment and some language, I probably wouldn't take a 6 year old to see it, but It's not soooooo bad that I would condemn you for doing so.

I feel pretty much the same way. Of course I wouldn't necessarily want my nephews to see some of the trailers that were before the movie either but all of them are on TV anyway.

The_Truth
07-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I took my 4 year old brother and he was perfectly fine. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's not like he gets what happy time means.

obehave
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I mean I'm taking my little six year old cousin to see transformers next week and I've already seen it. But its not the action in the film its some of use of language. Did any of you guys take little kids when you saw the film?

dont u have to be at least 17 yrs old to take someone that young?

Killer185
07-30-2007, 07:17 PM
uh take him?

not a big deal...

stathis
07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
As a father myself, I previewed the movie to see if it's appropriate for my son. It has been a few weeks since I saw it, but here are the main things I remember (in no particular order):
deaths are pretty much bloodless, but they can be quite abrupt and intense for children (impalements, throwing stars, etc.) a 30-second discussion on masturbation Bernie Mac calling his mom a b**** Bernie Mac's mom flipping him off some s-words and evidently an f-word that I don't remember (according to the site I mention below)As has already been said, the masturbation reference is completely out of place in this flick--being there just to get some juvenile laughter. Frankly, if I was a teenager today, I'd feel insulted that the makers of the film felt that I "needed" that joke to think the movie was cool.

You may want to bookmark the Kids-In-Mind (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/) site for future reference. It exhaustively lists pretty much everything any possible parent could find objectionable in new releases. They can get very picky, but their job is to list all the possible objectionable events in a film to allow parents anywhere on the permissiveness spectrum to judge the viewability of film for their children.

Overall, it's a fun film! My son and I haven't had a chance to see it together, but he'll see it soon. Well, most of it anyway. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif Personally, I would have taken him when he was six, but I would have covered his eyes/ears for the more intense deaths and language. You may want to preview it.

Nick

theropod
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
See this thread (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=2711113&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) pertaining to taking a six year old to see Transformers. The friendly participants in that one will love to give you plenty of lovely advice. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
-theropod

Neal
07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
dont u have to be at least 17 yrs old to take someone that young?

If the film were rated R, yes. Seeing that it's rated PG -13, no.