PDA

View Full Version : plans for ce2

thechosenbun
07-19-2007, 07:29 AM
just wondering if anyone knows if theres going to be plans for a ce2. i cant see them doing it in london again possible cities could be berlin, amsterdam, paris. but i think theyll go for somewhere english is a major language so amsterdam sounds good.

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm sure LFL would like to do it again, as well as more in the US and perhaps in other parts of the world where SW is big (like Japan).

Personally I'd like to see it done every 3 or 4 years and have it move around the various European capitals/convention cities. I don't think that London should be the sole venue, because there are just as many fans on the mainland as there are fans in the UK. Besides, I like to travel and SW is one of my best excuses (USA, Tunisia, Spain, Italy, Norway and Guatemala).

Jeremy

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
07-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm not keen on the 'moving around Europe' thing if it is the same year as a US Celebration as I always attend those and this year I was barely able to afford one in the UK on top of CIV, let alone finding funds to travel abroad again for Star Wars.

I think the Celebrations should stay with cities that have actually had some connection to the saga if they were to travel though - so maybe Italy could one day be a future Celebration site. (As long as it doesn't fall in a US Celebration year).

Alternatively a regular Celebration UK would be nice...

Obi

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I asked Steve Sansweet at the hotel on Saturday night how he thought the show was going and he said "People seem to be resonding to it very well" (That's one thing that annoys me with Sansweet, it's like he's on autoresponse and doesn't actually tell you what he is actually thinking). So I said "That's great - so can we expect another then?" to which he replied "We have to survive this one first then we'll see".

So take from that what you will.

Obi

LKraan
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I hope a CE will be held every couple of years.
I do hope that they stick to 1 locations so that they can improve the event a bit every time.
Every location has it's own aspects which you find out after having used it. If you change the location every time then every time you have issues that you don't have if you stick to 1 location and learn from those "mistakes".

Wuher
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Every 2 years would do me fine

I had a great time - met some great people that
really made up for the mistakes

As for location - London CE2 would be great

but any other european capital would be fine

Mark

Wuher
07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
just wondering if anyone knows if theres going to be plans for a ce2. i cant see them doing it in london again possible cities could be berlin, amsterdam, paris. but i think theyll go for somewhere english is a major language so amsterdam sounds good.

Oh missed that amsterdam bit

That would be a treat -

mark

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
07-19-2007, 11:30 AM
So, putting location to one side for a moment, what would you like to see at CE2.

What guests -

What shows -

What talks -

What kind of Celebration Store Merchandise

Etc..

Obi

RobSidious
07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
So, putting location to one side for a moment, what would you like to see at CE2.

What guests -

What shows -

What talks -

What kind of Celebration Store Merchandise

Etc..

Obi

Guests: Harrison ford & George!!!
Shows: One man prequel trilogy.
Talks: Lucas & McCallum, Muran, Tippet & more ILM guys.
Merchandise: Cheaper stuff. Sarlacc T-Shirt saying, "Feed me!"

As for location, what about Tunisia, with daily tours to the Dune sea? Ok, Ok, I know it's not Europe, but it's close. Failing that, Manchester, GMEX exhibition centre?

I personally think CE2 & C5 should be in 2010 for the 30th anniversary of Empire, then 2013 for Jedi. That'll give people enough time to save up!

Rob.

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I think the Celebrations should stay with cities that have actually had some connection to the saga

Nice idea - now name some cities.

Jeremy

mattman81
07-19-2007, 05:13 PM
By the time CE2 arrives, the TV serials will be either running (Clone War) or nearly on its way (live action) so that could/should be a major focus. Would be nice to have more EU and Dark Horse comic related guests/features too. But getting a good mix of OT and PT guests would be ideal, especially the major players.

As for Venue, I still think ExCel London is more then ideal. While Star Wars is popular in mainland Europe, I have many euro-based friends who say it probably isn't popular enough to host such an event. It comes down to money, and the simple fact is there's much more earning potential in the UK then anywhere else in Europe. London is also easy for most to reach given the number of airports and transport links. While it would be fairer to move CE to another Country, I think the safer bet is to keep it UK based, especially if you want more money pumped into the show to increase its size (which it needs very much).

Wuher
07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Anywhere as long as it happens

but every 2 years is good for me

Mark

Brody_Walker
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
How about Sydney, Australia where the prequels were shot? You'd get interest from Asia (China, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan) plus also interests from New Zealand.

Plus due to the good exchange rate (well at least to the UK - the US is going the other way at the moment), it wouldn't be too expensive regarding accomodation, internal travel and food.

I'm happy to have it in London as it was/is 5 minutes commute from my place, but equally happy to see it hit the Southern Hemisphere sometime soon.

(Surely you'd want to see something like a Toltoys showcase!)

Brody

Jeremy
07-20-2007, 04:52 PM
How about Sydney, Australia where the prequels were shot? You'd get interest from Asia (China, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan) plus also interests from New Zealand.

You couldn't call it Celebration Europe if it were in Australia though.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Jeremy

Brody_Walker
07-20-2007, 05:00 PM
ha ha I was totally off topic. Nice pick up Jeremy.

You gotta remember, I'm an Aussie living in The UK. I get very confused. In saying that I'm still gunning for a Celebration event out in Oz.

Nick_Macarty
07-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Would the NEC be a good size & location for CE? It's either that or Wembley. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd be hapy to have it at Excel again though. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Nick

Jeremy
07-21-2007, 01:40 AM
You gotta remember, I'm an Aussie living in The UK.

What bar do you work it?

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeremy

Brody_Walker
07-21-2007, 05:23 AM
You gotta remember, I'm an Aussie living in The UK.

What bar do you work it?

Jeremy

Mate, I work it at all the bars http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jr2d2
07-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I would love to go to a CE event in another European country. Not sure how popular it would be as the UK had Europes largest fan base although I did see some excellent turnouts from certain countries around Europe at London. It would give a me a good excuse to learn that language I am always promising my self I will learn.

Celebration Australia sounds like a fun idea though.

I think any foreign (in terms of non us) Celebration event should be done in an alternate year to a US one. Just my thought.

Jeremy
07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
the UK had Europes largest fan base

Germany has a fanbase of equal size.

Jeremy

Lee_Gray
07-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Earls court is easiest for me to get to and been there a few times before

I too think that it should be atleast two years apart as then it would keep fresh

Jose_Fiuza
07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Since we're in a European Community (whether some people like it or not...) I'm of the opinion that CE #2 should take place in *any* of the other countries capital's. Let's say, for argument's sake, that we're part of the "United States of Europe".

With all due respect, the UK and London have had their CE. And a spectacular at that. It's now time for other countries/cities to be able to host their own.

Portugal, for instance, has had in the recent past a phenomenal — and successful — experience with the "STAR WARS In Portugal" expo. [Note to Jeremy: when's my feature article (with photos) on this going to be published here on Rebelscum.com?]

We've organized major (and I mean MAJOR) events like the International Expo in 1998 and the Football Euro Championship (2004), plus a yearly Tennis Grand Tournament, at Estoril. We've had Formula 1 for any years (and now we host one the FIM World Motorcycle Championship races) so I think it's safe to assume we're also potential runners-up in an hypothetical future CE.

The main goal should be: let there be a second CE! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 07:27 AM
that we're part of the "United States of Europe".

I quite like the term "European Union". It's catchy and it works.

Jeremy

Skylover
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
not CE, but I would like to point France and Germany already have official events. With their next editions in october for Paris (SW Reunion 2), and march for Düsseldorf (Jedi Con 2008).

But I wouldnt mind if one of them get the next CE !

karnorjax
07-25-2007, 05:10 PM
well Id say GENT in Belgiium

its very central and the EXPO center is superb I went there last year for the i love techno dance festival too see Kraftwerk..!