PDA

View Full Version : CE - Your thoughts?

Lordpercy
07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
So, for all of us people with Saturday / Sunday only tickets, what can the lucky Friday people tell us about CE?

What are things to look out for and what were your particular highlights?

Cant wait for tomorrow!

Wuher
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
You cannot wait - I think there is alot of us http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SteveSith
07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
To be honest, I wasn't impressed. The opening ceremony was ok, getting everyone pumped up. When you go inside the autograph hall its plain to see the problems. A huge line starting to build for Mark Hamill before he even got there and only a handful getting autographs of the other guests, mainly for Prowse and Bulloch, probably for those new to conventions, most of the other guests were twiddling their thumbs.
The merchandise stalls were unimaginative, a lot of them had nothing to do with Star Wars and were selling photos and toys of other genres. No rare toys and games, no limited editions that I could see a la CIV.
A big bouncy castle (?) type assalt course to promote the Royal Military. Whats this got to do with Star Wars? It took up most of the space in the main hall. Didnt get to see the one-man Star Wars show but im assuming that was the highlight, with good reason.
Overall not as good as CIV. Disappointing and poorly planned.

ravenblaze
07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
To be honest, I wasn't impressed. The opening ceremony was ok, getting everyone pumped up. When you go inside the autograph hall its plain to see the problems. A huge line starting to build for Mark Hamill before he even got there and only a handful getting autographs of the other guests, mainly for Prowse and Bulloch, probably for those new to conventions, most of the other guests were twiddling their thumbs.
The merchandise stalls were unimaginative, a lot of them had nothing to do with Star Wars and were selling photos and toys of other genres. No rare toys and games, no limited editions that I could see a la CIV.
A big bouncy castle (?) type assalt course to promote the Royal Military. Whats this got to do with Star Wars? It took up most of the space in the main hall. Didnt get to see the one-man Star Wars show but im assuming that was the highlight, with good reason.
Overall not as good as CIV. Disappointing and poorly planned.

I agree to an extent apart from Prowse,Hammil,daniels,Parks and Bulloch the other ques were very quiet!

JediBigBad
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Once I was inside the main hall it was great..apart from aforementioned bouncy castle.

The problem was getting IN to the hall. I, with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and a mate queued by door S1. As we got near the entrance we were told by an Excel Official this door was closed and we were to go to door S4 to gain entry.

Upon arriving at S4 we were told by a very nasty supervisor that we were lying and just trying to sneak in. I said why would I bother when I was a Hyperspace member and could just stroll in with my family passes... He got extremely rude and sent us back to S1 where the guy that had sent us to S4 said he didn't have a clue what we were on about but let us in anyway!

Boy was I fuming! Threatened to go all Sith-Lord on his a***!

SteveSith
07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree to an extent apart from Prowse,Hammil,daniels,Parks and Bulloch the other ques were very quiet!

Well I was only in there 4 times during the course of the day and I know a lot were just in there to get some time with Hamill. His one hour talk was excellent though but I stick with my original thoughts on the overall 'event', even though ive now had time to cool off and reflect.

jedicouncil
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Ive necer known anything as unorganized as the Hamill que. not one of the crew or security knew what was going on. They tried to form a que in one direction before letting us into the actual line, then the crew member on the end of the line started letting people just enter the line without joining the premilery que, then when everyone was complaining they stared a separate que going in another direction before telling all the people in that que that they wouldnt get in unless they joined the back of the other que. All in all a total shambles. I ended up queing for almost 3 hours - so much for virtual queing!

ravenblaze
07-13-2007, 02:37 PM
90 percent of the staff were numptys

the one guy who was manning the bulloch que was a legend though he couldnt do enough to help people and was very friendly http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JediClare
07-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I've just come back - great day in my opinion (although some problems as stated above - Hamill queue etc). I'm exhausted.
My highlights
Anthony Daniels was charming & talkative, & happily allowed photos to be taken.
Sandi Finlay/Matt Wood/Matt Sloan were so cool & friendly.
Mark Hamill was a legend. We were told not to talk to him as he will chat too much, but he happily chatted to me when I got his autograph - nice guy. He went out of his way to hug people for their candid photos too. Very fan friendly.
Warwick Davis - his celebrity interviews were so funny.
The tribute to Michael Sheard during the Imperials talk.
The Clone Wars trailer - awesome. Saw it twice.
Mark Hamill's talk was very interesting & humourous - I was sitting just beside his wife & daughter. He spoke about the Biggs/Luke deleted scenes.
Ian McDiarmind's opening ceremony talk - he is a funny guy!!!
Downsides:
The official photographs used for the signings are very cheap IMO.
Lack of organisiation in the autograph hall for Mark Hamill.
Being in queues for about 41/2 hours today.....
Not getting a goodie bag http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Need to walk round the dealers tomorrow/Celebration store.

All in all - a good time. Now I must sleep...........

JediBigBad
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Gotta agree with JediClare....the photo quality was cheap.....almost like tissue, very thin!

jamie2497
07-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

Couple of questions for people who went today.

1. How much were the 2 exclusive figures and were they readily available?

2. Was there any trouble getting into the shows? Like being compeltely full?

3. Did you have to leave like 20 mins early to get into a show or could you arrive within a few minutes?

Thanks

Jamie

Tim_Z
07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Can you actually see Mark Hamill without queueing ? I.e. say from 10 metres or so away or is he (and other guests) shut away in booths ?

How about other guests ? Is it acceptable to take photos without asking ?

Thanks,

Tim

JediBigBad
07-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey guys,

Couple of questions for people who went today.

1. How much were the 2 exclusive figures and were they readily available?

2. Was there any trouble getting into the shows? Like being compeltely full?

3. Did you have to leave like 20 mins early to get into a show or could you arrive within a few minutes?

Thanks

Jamie

I can't answer your questions about the shows as I'm leaving that until tomorrow, but the figures were available from the shop at I believe £15 for the C3PO & R2D2 concept and £10 for the Luke concept. I did see other dealers tho selling the same figures at slightly cheaper and also very extortionate rates.

As for the quality of the figure....I wasn't impressed but that is just my humble opinion!

J

JediBigBad
07-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Can you actually see Mark Hamill without queueing ? I.e. say from 10 metres or so away or is he (and other guests) shut away in booths ?

Thanks,

Tim

The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side. Mark and Anthony are on the right as you go in surrounded by a small booth which obscures the view if you are not in that line and don't happen to be tall enough....there are also plenty of people to growl at you if you are caught taking a pic!

Again...just my experience!

Tim_Z
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks,

Tim

The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side.

Thanks for the info JBB.

So I'm ok taking photos of those in the open area ?

Cheers,

Tim

SteveSith
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Wasnt any trouble getting in, never really got too busy, the only busy part was Mark Hamill's line and he is in a booth so you can still see him while your in the Autograph hall but you cant take photos because some goon tells you to put the camera away. At least they arent charging to look!

I think its general courtesy to ask anyone first before you take a photo of them, I know of some guests from previous shows dont allow photos to be taken of them.

Why do some people think that by wearing a staff badge means they can forget their manners? One of the staff today was really rude to a young family in the dealers room. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JediBigBad
07-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Why do some people think that by wearing a staff badge means they can forget their manners? One of the staff today was really rude to a young family in the dealers room. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There was far too much of that today from both CE staff and Excel staff.....

threedarths
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
The biggest problem I found today was the staff employed by both CE and the Excel had absolutley no clue as to where anything was taking place. Many times I was asked on the stall where anything was.

As for the experience as a dealer: - Much better than C IV the event looks better, I agree with Stevesith about the number of tables which have been taken up by people not even selling anything Star Wars, which I find unbelievable. As for sheer foot traffic through the door, it seemed very busy.

Roll on Saturday, doors are opening at 8.30am tomorrow, so as to allow the huge numbers expected to get in.

Nick

Brody_Walker
07-13-2007, 05:21 PM
I had no hassles in taking photos of Mark or of the other actors. What hassle I did have revolved around paying £85 for an autograph. Though I've been told it had something to do with my cheap Australian nature...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/brodi-wan-kenobi/Friday024.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/brodi-wan-kenobi/Friday027.jpg

Lee_Gray
07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Good to have met you raven i think some cheap magazines are in ordered http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I must agree about the amount of times I asked members of staff where things were and they didnt know, took me forever to find out the palitoy room was upstairs

was good as i left the event at 7 though as on stage was mark and ian having a laugh

cant belive all the posters for the medallions had a typo on them though for the word twelve they all said twelwe

Lee_Gray
07-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Strange seeing that yak face with a gun in the store, as it was the one i use to own as i remembered the mark by the side of the bubble

wonder if you brought it from me or the person i sold it to you brought from them, i was going to buy it back but i saw the reserved sticker on it http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adam_Burges
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks,

Tim

The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side.

Thanks for the info JBB.

So I'm ok taking photos of those in the open area ?

Cheers,

Tim

I got shunted away by some security around him saying I had no ticket so I wasn't allowed to take pictures, I still managed to take some from a distance though.

Lee_c00per
07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Weren't the people helping out in the autograph hall meant to be Malki's people? That may expalin the rudeness

SteveSith
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Looks like some people here were among the lucky few that managed to get some shots of Hamill. I was standing quite far away near Lightning Bears table (he was never busy so I wasnt in anyones way!) and with a good zoom lens I attempted to shoot but was stopped by staff, he did have an American accent so it wouldn't have surprised me if they were Maki's drones. Sounded similar to my twang so I jokingly asked where they were from and they just walked away!

Sarahjedi0
07-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I have a one day ticket for sunday which im not looking forward to now, a friend went on friday and emailed me to say that she and her man thought it was 'dreadful' http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bouncy Castle? why?????

Microgynon
07-14-2007, 05:05 AM
I enjoyed my day there on Friday. I got my exclusive figures and was told I could have as many as I wanted by the staff just got one of each though. (Skywalker was £10 of the TRU stall and C3p0 and R2 were £15 from the CE shop)

Sadly, the autograph hall was very disorganised and certainly the worst I had in terms of the way it was organised, the security staff there were very aggressive especially the guy with the dreadlocks who kept shouting at people to get back in the queue, when they attempted to walk over to signers who were just waiting around doing nothing. There was also no signs to indicate that you needed a £3 coupon to purchase a picture and not one member of staff mentioned this on the three occasions I purchased autograph coupons, I'm glad I knew in advance that you needed it could of potentially been very embarrassing. The quality of the pictures were very poor, agreed they seemed to be printed on tissue paper.

I couldn't work out which queue to queue in to meet Jeremy Bullock so I gave up in the end.

I met Peter Burroughs, Simon Williamson, Matt Sloan, Garrick Hagon, Sean Crawford, Anthony Daniels and Dermot Crowley. Mike Edmonds had run out of pictures by 15.00 so I said I'd come back and see him on Sunday.

Anyway all of them were absolutely brilliant and great to talk to.

The dealer area did get very crowded at times and there was gridlock in some stalls usually due to people with pushchairs and prams blocking the way. The stalls were quite limited in what they were selling and only one of them had the new VTSC figures - strange!

Other then those minor gripes, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow.

I hope CE becomes an annual thing.

supersaber
07-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Once I was inside the main hall it was great..apart from aforementioned bouncy castle.

The problem was getting IN to the hall. I, with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and a mate queued by door S1. As we got near the entrance we were told by an Excel Official this door was closed and we were to go to door S4 to gain entry.

Upon arriving at S4 we were told by a very nasty supervisor that we were lying and just trying to sneak in. I said why would I bother when I was a Hyperspace member and could just stroll in with my family passes... He got extremely rude and sent us back to S1 where the guy that had sent us to S4 said he didn't have a clue what we were on about but let us in anyway!

I had problems with this guy as well. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We told him that we were hyperspace members but he made us que up and then we were told by someone else it was the wrong line. We then go were we are surpossed to go and that guy says we are trying to push in. He then takes my friends ticket and says that he called him a ****!

We were so shocked that he said that as my mate didnt even open his mouth!

In the end in took us nearly an hour to get in. None of the staff knew what they were doing.

Sarahjedi0
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM

I had problems with this guy as well. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We told him that we were hyperspace members but he made us que up and then we were told by someone else it was the wrong line. We then go were we are surpossed to go and that guy says we are trying to push in. He then takes my friends ticket and says that he called him a ****!

We were so shocked that he said that as my mate didnt even open his mouth!

In the end in took us nearly an hour to get in. None of the staff knew what they were doing.

Im going on the Sunday and if we get any rudeness or cluelessness aswell i am going to put it in writing, not to CE, but to Lucasfilm. We should all do that so they know how mismanaged it is.

JediClare
07-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Me again - my quick day 2 report:

There seemed to be about 30% more visitors there today.
Low points -
Didn't get in to see the Anthony Daniel talk
Trying to find some where to stop for lunch - the food areas were packed & the queues very long.....
Tried to look at the art work, but it was packed. Some lovely stuff there though....
People pushing in on the celebrity talk queues... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The autograph hall was packed late morning/early afternoon for the Hamill signing. He was being shielded from photos from anyone other than who was in the queue for this auto. I did get a glimpse of him posing for a photo with a fan and Mark was holding an ignited full scale green lightsaber!!!!
Where were Jerome Blake & Angus McInnes or Mary Oyaya????? I couldn't see them at their tables.
High points -
Daniel Logan - what a sweetheart!! I am now officially a fan of his - very chatty, nice, young lad. Wish I had had longer to talk to him, but had to dash off to the McCallum talk.
Rick McCallum talk - found it interesting (but no 3D preview). He said the live action tv show could go to 400 episodes if everyone likes it. Also said that he thinks Lucas will tinker with the 6 movies again at some point.
He took a screenplay/script from a fan for consideration for the live action show, plus a fan made dvd (I think)
The Boba Fett talk with Jeremy & Daniel. The sound over they did to the Luke/Owen/Beru scene from ANH made me cry with laughter (yucky soup jokes etc - hysterical).
Warwick Davis - again!!! He just doesn't stop does he? Talk about hard working. He ran down to the stage from the top stairs in the Fett talk, it was funny as he wore himself out. He is such a joker.
Costume Paigent. Baby Yoda won in the under 16's - so cute. Ray Park & Jeremy Bulloch appeared to give the prizes. The information cards Warwick had for each contestant worked fine for about the first three people, but it then went down hill. Whoever wrote those note cards should be shot. Warwick was giving descriptions on how a jedi clock was made, whilst a Padme lookalike was on stage etc. It was funny and seemed to go down well with the audience and Warwick pulled it all off so well.
Seeing Rick McCallum outside the Excel at the end of the day. Getting his autograph, personalised to me, plus a candid with him. He is so cool and I am chuffed http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In summary, IMO day 2 was good. For me Daniel & Rick were revelations. Roll on day 3 & BDW's....

JediClare
07-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I hope CE becomes an annual thing.

I'm right there with you buddy http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JediBigBad
07-14-2007, 03:06 PM
The only things that would have made today even better than it was were the following:

1) More space between dealers
2) More toilets
3) More Slave Leia's
4) More staff on litter patrol so that I don't slip on left-over noodle boxes!
5) More of the Star Wars soundtrack, other than the one piece they seem to play over and over
6) Did I mention the slave Leia's?

J

LKraan
07-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Just came back and me and my son had a blast!
We're completely wrecked now since we flew up and down today.
Didn't get to do everything I wanted to to but had a blast anyways.
Expected a lot of people to come but didn't expect it this busy.

Some more space between dealers I agree with because it was just way too packed to shop comfortably. Actually maybe a good thing since I already spend more than enough http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah....more Slave Leia's!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tetsuo/misc/slave.jpg

LITTLEOBIWAN
07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Where was she, I missed her.....
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lord_Tumnayar
07-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Any word on the Cantina band performance thing?

Vorhees
07-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I've had an awesome time both days and expect to have tomorrow as well.

I don't bother too much with merchandise, anything I common such as toys l'll get it at later date delivered to my door but the stalls do seem overcrowded and the official store is stupid with its argos style ordering but no pens around and nobody really knowing where they should be walker.

Food lines looked very long but if it's that way on Sunday and you have an hour to kill do what I did today: DLR back to Canning Town then Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf - in an hour I was there and back with a Wagamamas and 2 Tiger beers inside me http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Merch aside though definate plus points:

Only about an hour from my house
The Vault
What's New With Hasbro
Lucasfilm Archives
Vader Helmets
Palitoy Room
Behind The Scenes Clone Wars
Modelmakers
The lego set ups where cool
Tat competition
The costume pagent was a nice way to end the day today
501st making everybody feel at home
Seeing both Hollys from Red Dwarf
Star Wars Arcade

Hoing to catch these or part of them tomorrow

Collecting 101
Unproduced Toys
One Man Star Wars
Vintage Auction
Working with walking carpets

Lee_Gray
07-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Cool about Rick clare, they came up trumps with him and Mark....be even cooler if next time lucas turned up

DarthQuiche
07-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Today was well crowded compared to Friday, but a good 2 days so far for me.
Got my Fett Maquette & CE Figures. Had a chat, auto & pic with Steve Sansweet, Got to see all the shows I wanted - clone wars, R2, Luke, 3P0, Rick McCullum, 1 Man Star Wars, Fanboys Rough Cut & the Pagent (No Leia's in it http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

Plus managed to bump into Rick before his show and get an auto & pic.

Roll on tomorrow for Ray Park & Billy Dee, plus a bit more shopping. Not looking forward to work on Monday tho!

ps Baby yoda came third, it was the great Lego Darth Vader that won the kids costume contest.

SteveSith
07-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Hello http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JediClare
07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
ps Baby yoda came third, it was the great Lego Darth Vader that won the kids costume contest.

Silly me - of course it was the excellent lego vader who rightly won. It was funny seeing him trying to navigate the stairs though. That costume was really cool.
Brain overload from today.... now time to sleep.

Wasn't Rick cool!

bikerscout
07-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow, now I'm really jealous - that slave Leia pretty much trumps any of the CIV Leias. But what I wanted to say first is that your shirts/clothing for CE are WAY better than what was offered at CIV. I'm jealous!!! But I already dropped my $ on a shirt & CIV hoody.
from LA,
bikerscout

JediClare
07-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Day 3 -
It was HOT in the Excel today - in the afternoon the temperature was positively scorching. Very surprised as I thought the whole complex was air conditioned....
Today's highlights for me -
The Ray Park talk. Warwick Davis arranged a re-inactment of Qui Gonn/Mauls death scenes with him playing Obi Wan. An audience member played Qui Gonn & some youngsters were the crew - they created the laser beam effects with cling film!!!
Now I thought I could not laugh any harder than I did yesterday at the Fett talk, but this re-inactment had me laughing just as hard. It was hysterically funny, and I
L O V E D every minute of it. Ray answered a question re his black eye seen in the dvd extras, I never realised he had trouble with a neighbour which nearly cost him a job. Anyway - his interview was very well done & interesting. I didn't get his autograph here, but will definitely be heading for his queue at the LFCC.
The Billy Dee Williams talk. He is smooth, isn't he? Maki did the interviewing - his mobile went off in the middle of it. Ironic isn't it, especially as the audience were told to switch theirs off. I enjoyed his interview though. Billy also did some singing (can't remember the song at the mo).
Got my autographs from Billy - took about 40 minutes. The queues for Prowse/Bullock & Park seemed quite long over lunch and into the afternoon. Was definitely not surpised with Bullock & Park as they are just so lovely.
Lows
Didn't get to see the one man Star Wars show http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif . I did over hear bits of it over the three days so I guess it is not all bad.
Missed out on the fan club lounge meet & greet today as I felt ill (with the heat). It was even hotter down where the lounge was...... So I didn't get to the lounge at all during CE.
Where was Jerome Blake & Mary Oyoya? Why where there not notices telling us what had happened? Especially when Jerome's sign was left up the entire weekend.
Angus McInnes photos were so bad I didn't bother with an autograph.

In summary, today was great - just as good as yesterday & Monday. I got to meet & get autos with Hamill on Friday, Rick on Saturday and Billy on Wednesday, amongst others.
The autograph coupons were a joke. Some celebrities were obviously unhappy with the prices and some didn't accept coupons for their photographs ( I guess as the quality was so bad). Every Star Wars celeb I met seemed genuine and nice. I wish the autograph hall had been better arranged (OPX style). If CE does return to the UK (and I hope it does) I pray they get Ben on board. I felt sorry for some of the signers with no queues. God if they'd had great photo selections and a more reasonable price I am sure they would have been in demand. It is a shame - a real shame.
I didn't get to do everything I wanted to over the 3 days. There just wasn't enough hours in the day. I've lost count of how many queues I stood in, and how many cool clones/stormtroopers I saw. I thought I had lost my mind due to the heat when I say a butch looking ANH Leia with messy buns and thick black hairy legs & sandals in the Waterfront canteen today.........until I realised it was a man!!!!! Did anyone else see the chap walking round Friday & Saturday with a full length winter coat on? Don't know how he coped in today's heat. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I met some great fellow fans and enjoyed our chats (during the queues mostly). I've never seen so many lightsabers before in my life.
Feel a bit low now the whole thing is over - I'd been looking forward to it ever since it was announced. I wish that Lucasfilm would realsie all the celeb interviews on a DVD or via StaWars.com
With first class fan friendly celebs (Davis/Bullock/Logan/Park/Hamill/McCallum/Wood etc etc) the Star Wars legacy will certainly live on. Can't wait for The Clone Wars, am even more excited about the live action series (so hope it features Boba). I even felt like a kid again during the convention - the magic and spine tingles I got as a youngster when I first saw the movie resurfaced again.
For a first attempt at a Celebration convention, I don't think Europe did so bad. They need to do some tweaks though to iron out the kinks. But from what people said about C1, it was to be expected.

SteveSith
07-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I heard from friends that went Saturday and Sunday, they said similar things as already said above, more rude staff, more Harry Potter dealers and more confusion with the autograph lines and coupon system. The photos were terrible quality, they were so thin they would wrinkle within 1 month of storage in an album or frame guaranteed.
Its a pity to see that only a handful of the guests were in demand, most of us on the forums were telling CE management and they didnt listen, citing that theres 'so much other things to do'. Although true in part, the 'other things' of interest were largely thanks to the talent of the guys giving performances on stage and not thanks to the management, their rude staff or most of the cowboy dealers.
I agree with JediClare I hope Official Pix take over next time or even Showmasters, anyone with a bit of prior knowledge of organising shows and will actually listen to the public's views.

JediBigBad
07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Two of the guests I went to meet refused to take my photo token and gave me the picture for free because they were upset with the quality of the photos...had to agree with them. Very poor quality.

redxavier
07-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I just went on Saturday and had a blast. I didn't get around to seeing the two events I most wanted to see (the crew talk and modelmaking) but did see the LucasArts presentation and The One Man Show, which was a real highlight for me. Absolutely hilarious. Twin sister!

I was a bit mystified why they didn't use the other half of Excel and give everyone some much needed space. There was a 10 minute line to get tickets, and then a 30 minute line to get into the hall.

There was some disappointment on my part for not being able to see any of the signing guests. They were all positioned as far from the hall entrance as possible - obscured by a whole host of people in queues.

The big props were a great touch though, and a big thanks must go to all the folks who dressed up. The Art Show was great as well, and I picked up a print from Cat Staggs.

Unfortunately, the art show folks ran out of the smaller tubes half way through Saturday. Since many of the prints were of the small to medium size, they should have anticipated the demand better.

Turbowars
07-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Just came back and me and my son had a blast!
We're completely wrecked now since we flew up and down today.
Didn't get to do everything I wanted to to but had a blast anyways.
Expected a lot of people to come but didn't expect it this busy.

Some more space between dealers I agree with because it was just way too packed to shop comfortably. Actually maybe a good thing since I already spend more than enough http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah....more Slave Leia's!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dude, is that your hand on her ***? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JambeDavdar
07-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Well it was my first convention in over 10 years and I will be honest and say that it was a mostly hollow experience - partly my fault really.

Good Points
- Seeing all the costumes and the effort that people had gone to.
- Seeing kids enjoying themselves.
- A good turn out
- Had a 20 minute chat with Dave Barclay and Toby Philpott - very nice guys!
- Got to put faces (and say hi) to a few names I've known online.

Bad Points
- Took me 55 mins to get in! A huge queue that took me 15 minutes to find the back of!
- Too many queues - but I guess that can't be helped.
- Rude staff who clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing.
- Bad design of the autograph area. If you didn't want to join the queue, you simply couldn't see any of the 'stars'. The queue should also have taken people by the other 'stars'. When I spoke to Dave and Toby nobody was in their queue. They were simply ingnored and very bored with it all.
- Queued for an hour to see 'one man star wars'. Didn't get in, so waited a further hour to see Anthony Daniels. After only 15 minutes of Mr.Daniels mortifying display, we just had to leave. Making the audience clap him and welcome him for over 10 minutes was just unbearable. Perhaps he doesn't get enough love from home. I actually thought he was slightly sloshed. Very weird indeed.
- Not enough info on what was where. For one, nobody could tell me where I had to go to find the queue to get my Hyperspace landyard. Perhaps I should have done a little more reseach.
- The vast majority of the floorspace was taken up by traders.
- I was sickened by the presence of the Army and Navy. "Do you kids enjoy watching people killed on films and games? Wanna do it for real?" Very distasteful and cast a real shadow over what was otherwise a family event.

Well I certainly learned a lesson. I should have gone on friday.

IAN1138
07-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I had a great time all 3 day although i had to eave early today and missed Lando.
Went to alot of talks which were great and had some nice noodles.
The one thing i did not like was the rapper DJ million dollar or something like that, cool, great, wow every sentance they needed another Warwick as he was great.

Me and some other people were waiting in the queue for Rick and as we started to move and come round the corner NO QUEUE. We been waiting in a queue on the other side of the excel watching the Mustafar fight and had not relised the queue was already moving, run alway there just in time to get in. 400 episode yes please.

LITTLEOBIWAN
07-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, what was the deal with Anthony Daniels, I found it *@%?, what a ......

Lez
07-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I went today with my little daughter, arrived around mid day & pleased to say no queues getting in.

This being a first for both of us it was some what confusion in the least to know what was going on & where. Yes I printed off my little schedule & managed to visit one of two areas but the time it was taking just queuing up limited us to what we could do & see.

Today was so hot it was uncomfortable.

Have no idea what the Army thing was all about, I went there for Star Wars & paid good money, my daughter seemed impressed with it but not after seeing the 150 metre que to spend about 30 seconds on it, same goes for the climbing wall. Perhaps this should have just been called the kids zone as to be fair some alturnmate distraction is required for some of the family that do get dragged along.

I did have a good day, now wished I had gone over a few days which will have enable me to see a lot more of the talks.

Was nice meeting up with Jeremy & Josie & thanks for the Rebescum badge, hope everyone manage to picks there's up.

JediClare
07-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I should have gone on friday.

I wished you'd been there Saturday, and in the Rick McCallum talk. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give him copies of your documentary dvd's.

I also agree about the lack of information on the schedule/activities. When I attempted to find my way to the fan club lounge even the staff couldn't tell me where it was!!!

redxavier
07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
- I was absolutely sickened by the presence of the Army and Navy. "Do you kids enjoy watching people killed on films and games? Wanna do it for real?" Very distasteful and cast a real shadow over what was otherwise a family event.

I hardly think that was the line of thinking. They were targetting young men from 17 to 30 attending the show - of which there were thousands. The bouncing castle was a bit odd of course, but I don't doubt that it was a lot of fun for kids.

Well I certainly learned a lesson. I should have gone on friday.

I now realise I should have gone two days instead of one. I was unable to attend the Saturday events I wanted because there were too many things in the main hall to do, and it was difficult to time things well. Hearing about how good the Hamill talk was has also been a bit disheartening. Friday would have been excellent for all main hall stuff (less crowded too).

Having said that, I did go to the LSO concert on Friday night, and that was absolutely fantastic. Great music, and a solid half hour or so of Star Wars music - where the crowd went wild!

Herb
07-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I went on Saturday and had a good time the highlight being the Tattoo show. It was Great to meet Shane, and see everyones Star Wars tattoos! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The downside of the event was the queing. When i first arrived at the show around 9.30am i joined a short line and entered S1.
I then visited the Scummers stall, picked up my badge from Jeremy, thanks! next i bought the exclusive McQuarrie figs had a quick look around and went out S4 to register in the Platinum Suite for the Tattoo comp.

When i came back downstairs at 11.30am to go in S1 again, i discovered to my horror the queue was now snaking outside the carparks and through the unused halls. it was awfull.

Aside the queues i had a really good Star Wars day http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bollux
07-16-2007, 01:33 AM
The queues were awful on the Saturday, it ended up just being a shopping trip for me! If you were willing to lose most of your day then you could have got into the celebrity stage!

Did anyone go to the model making talk in the platinum stage? The presenter was terrible, "WOW" "AMAZING", some fella that wants to be a rapper apparently!

JambeDavdar
07-16-2007, 02:06 AM
I should have gone on friday.

I wished you'd been there Saturday, and in the Rick McCallum talk. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give him copies of your documentary dvd's.

I should have added that I gave the Jabba crew copies of my docos. Dave Barclay in particular was a very nice guy. Toby was also very accomodating but has been ever since I contacted him when I was making 'Returning to Jedi'.

I should also say that the group of friends I spent the day with were very disheartened very quickly. So by the time I met up with them they pretty much wanted to leave. So I think I was dragged down with them. I wish I had managed to call Scott (Aficionado) back, but my phone ran out of battery and my only option would have been to carry on alone, something I wasn't very keen on. Many regrets really. Oh well. We live and learn.

BenW6
07-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Well i had a great weekend. Had a 3 day ticket and loved every minute. Friday was the best day. Lots of room to move around and could spend lots of time at the dealer tables without getting smacked into by an evil mother using her buggy as a weapon.

Saturday was too packed but i spent most of the day in the celebrity talk stage to avoid the masses. Sunday was a bit better but it deffo felt like the event was winding down

Highlights for me included the McCallum talk (amazing) and the Hamill talk. The Billy Dee Williams talk was one of the oddest things ive ever seen. I really dont get that man. He was asked some really good questions and just brushed them aside, even replying to one question with 'i dont really care' Way to go Billy, really added to your 'amazing' reputation with fans http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Not too keen on the guy who conducted the talk either. I knew Maki had a bad rep and now i can see why

Picked up some great bargains and loved the overall atmosphere of the event. Met some cool people too which is always a bonus

I for one hope they do another Celebration next year. Ive been going to conventions for a long time and this is the first one in years where i had a genuine buzz about the event. I really had a great time

ds9619
07-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Well, I take back what I said. Wasn't looking forward to it that much....indeed. Absolutely loved the two days (Sat and Sun) that I was there. Now that I am finally back home it's a bit of an anti climax and wished that it was all happening again this weekend but alas no.

Barry did a wonderful job and clearly there seemed to be more on offer than just what was on the listings i.e the general atmosphere. I was so impressed with the amount of people who travelled there seeing T shirts for the German and Polish garrisons. My kiddo also spoke briefly with Allison Sohn (mutual love of Stormtroopers) and found her to be very approachable. Also a huge thanks to Mr Bulloch for very kindly posing for a photo with my son when he was required elsewhere. As I have said thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Now for the negative points, what benefits other than early entry was there for the fan club members? Nothing that I saw anyway, but saying that early entry was an absolute bonus. I agree that the army and Navy shouldn't have been there. I was there with my 5 year old and he now thinks if he joins the navy he will get to battle on Geonosis. Wasn't impressed with that. Also didn't like the layout for the Tantive IV exhibit. There just seemed to be a huge throng of people at the front always hogging what view there was and when we finally did get to the front found that the 'crew' members were always spoiling photo shots by being in the way. In relation to the remarks about rudeness the only two occasions that I saw were (and dare I say it) American ladies. One lady refused to get out of the way of marching stormtroopers (idiot) and recieved a sore shoulder for her efforts and one didn't like being nudged out of the way for again, marching stormtroopers "don't push me, don't push me" she shrieked. Well get out of the bloody way then, everbody else managed.

I wasn't sure if I would travel overseas to go to one of these but now that I have experienced it I probably would.

Thanks everbody concerned for such a great weekend.

Fantasticmrcox
07-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Wow!!! What a fantastic weekend http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am so knackared after it all. There were so many highlights for me man i'm still buzzing. I was there from thursday to help set up. And from the start it was amazing. Within the first half hr i had already shoke hands with steve sansweet what a top bloke, and mark hamill( http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gifWOW)What a nice guy!!!. Then just wandered round watching everything getting set up.

I was working up in the Palitoy Archives for david tree and spent the most treasured days of my life in there. If any of you missed this room you missed a cracker. Just an amazing room with the most beautifull palitoy figures and toy displays. Spent it with some great friends and met plenty of new ones. Showing simon pegg round the archives on sunday was a certain highlight such a nich guy and very clued up on vintage sw. And also having steve sansweet come in and thanking us for the work we were doing and a general chat and i got my collectors excycopedia signed http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bumped into charles ross in the corridors and had a good chat and a laugh love that guy to bits shame i could'nt catch the show this weekend sorry charlie maybe next time.
On the saturday met rik macullum and got my a picture and autograph took with him.
Man i could go on and on and to say thanks everyone for making my weekend a blinder and Mark cheers for that swap mate looks like i wont be having that one night with your beautifull lady, Doh!!!! Cheers mate.

Abstractharmony
07-16-2007, 05:17 AM
My thoughts? Absolutely amazing!!!!

I was one of the volunteer staffers over the weekend and despite being very hard work and missing the two events that I really wanted to see (McCallum & Daniels) I still thought that it was one of the greatest weekends I have ever had.

I'll be very honest here to I don't know where Derek Maki gets his bad rep from. Truly. I had to interact with the guy all weekend and at no point was he anything but friendly and curteous towards me.

I had the unenviable job of wrangling the Mark Hamill queue on Saturday afternoon and trying to repair the complete hash that the Excel security staff had made of it. Keeping 700 people calm, updated and happy (as they could be) for 5 hours was certainly not something that I will forget for a very long time.

I hope if you were in the queue I made things a little easier for you.

Even with this potential flashpoint between Coolwaters and the Volunteer staff Derek was amazing in keeping Mark and the fans happy.

A special shout out must go to Danny from Coolwaters for keeping me updated with the situation throughout the day so that I could relay it on.

So there you go folks - derek Maki - Great Guy! Spread the word. I'm sure that a lot of the people who slag Derek on this board have never even taken the time to talk to him or realise what a tough gig he has. Remember, it was only because of Derek that ANYONE got to meet Mark on Friday or Saturday and for that I am certainly grateful.

I did feel sorry for the Artist Alley folks as they certainly seemed, to me, to be shoved out of the way with nothing really to point you towards them and I'm sure a lot of folks missed out on getting some truly wonderful pieces from them.

Dealers weren't really up to scratch to be honest. The usual suspects, not really anything groundbreaking but I did pick up some real bargains so it's all good.

Costumes? Excellent. Really great to see a lot of kids dressed up over the weekend.

The only downside for me was the bald guy in the balck combat pants in the Platinum Suite over the weekend. He was SO rude. At one point went up there to see if they needed any assistance for the Clone Wars session. I had my pass on and my crew shirt and stepped through the door 5 minutes before they let the public in and this guy came screaming up to me shouting 'GET OUT, GET OUT' in my face and generally being a bit of a c@ck. I really had to reign myself in to prevent a huge argument from starting. I can't believe some people can be so rude.

Props to Barry & Crew for organising it, Sarah and all at ImIE for sorting the volunteers out, Jeremy for the Rebelscum passes (very cool), all the scummers and other star wars fans that I spoke to over the weekend for truly making it feel like a community and lastly for Unclegeorge for giving the nod for a European convention.

See you in 2009?....

Scott_Manton
07-16-2007, 05:48 AM
My girlfriend and I only went on the Sunday. Overall we had a great time, as this was our first Star Wars convention. Here are our high points and low points:

Highs:

Gus Lopez's un-produced Star Wars toys talk.
David Tree's Palitoy room.
The medallions given out in the collectors panels.
The Lucasfilm Archive.
The Lego stand.
All the staff at the Rebelscum stand. Thanks for the badge Dan!

Lows:

Having to queue for everything for hours.
Missing Friday and Saturday.
Toys priced far too high.
Not enough vintage sellers.
Stands crammed together, even though there was loads of space left in the hall.
Not enough slave Leia's!

I think next time we'll go for all 3 days, as it's a great event, but can't be seen in one day. Cheers.

jediknight49
07-16-2007, 06:14 AM
I agree with many of the plus and minus points people have listed on the forum re queues, costs, auto Hall, security ect..

My main complaint was the Guest Theatre & Tanative IV experience.

People being allowed into the show 10 minutes after it had started. Even shows that were 15 mins late, people arrived late. people leaving in droves during the talks, disturbing everyone around and in front of them.Sound level of the show was low, not loud enough.

The Tanative IV was far too close and loud to the Theatre. Really struggled at times to hear the talks. The sound of the Experience was over playing what the guests wee trying to say.

This needs working on for the next CE show http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

07-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Thoughts On Celebration Europe
Just thought I would throw in my thoughts. As if anyone cares ;-)

Bad Points
Security and CE staff didn' have a clue.

Poorly organised queuing.

What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue. Added to this you had to get a photo ticket for £3 which wasnt advertised anywhere at the event or mentioned by the staff selling tickets. Some of the guests didn't really know about it either.

One of the worst things was the quality of the photos. The actual print quality was ok but the paper was the same as posters (not quite tissue paper as some have said) rather than photo paper. I ordered my own pics from a website but unfortunately they didn't arrive in time.

The venue was ok but did anyone venture into the surrounding area? What a S**t hole. I know earls court isn't available because of a contract with showmasters but it's a shame there wasn't somewhere nicer - especially when there were so many international visitors there. Not really a great first impression of England.

Snot nosed screaming kids on sat/sun - and stupid parents.

Never did find the SG rooms.

Mary Oyaya didn't turn up AGAIN! Has anyone ever been to an event where she did turn up. I remember her dropping out of an event before and whe it was announced on the website the reason for her not attending was given as 'Total Unprofessionalism' ;-) None of the work conflicts or unforseen circumstance that they normally site.

Good Points
Decent number of guests (finally).

Shannon McRandal was fit :-)

Sandi Finlay was charming - despite jetlag.

Lots of costumed people. Thanx you made the event a lot more colourful.

Exhibition hall looked good with all the prop recreations.

Different exhibits aimed at different age groups. Lego stands, assault course snowspeeder photo op for kids. Loads of other stuff for older attendees.

Random thoughts
Lots of costumed people but obviously a lot were just people with their own costumes rather than members of the various garrisons. It was a bit dissapointing when the took their helmets off to reveal just your average geek underneath. I know UK garrison say that helmeted members cannot take their helmets off in public and have to stay in character when in costume. I think it would be good to extend this as a code of conduct to all costumed visitiors.

Considering the number of visitors from the USA I was surprised to see only one massively obese person (and I think he was a Brit ;-).

I thought the slave leias were all great. Takes a lot of guts to wear one of those bikinis even when you do have a good body. Big respect to the 'slightly curvier' lady in the Leia bikini. I loved all of them but for those of us, like me, who like the larger lady, it put a smile on my face.

Lots more costumes on show than your average UK con. Think the Americans go in for it a lot more than us in the UK (hope you didn't have too much trouble getting those blasters through airport security). Did anyone notice that visitors from different countries seemed to dress as certain groups. I may be reading too much into this but does anyone else think it was a bit weird to have so many Germans dressed in imperial officer uniforms which were originally based on WWII german officer uniforms. I mean, there isn't anything wrong with if as such, but you would have thought that they would have realised the implications of this and chosen another costume.

One thing that did occur to me when I was daydreaming whilst standing in one of the many queues...Also for that matter does anyone know of any small people who go to events as jawas/gonk droids/ugnauts because that would be freakin' cool. All the kids there seemed to be in jedi/vader/clontrooper costumes - What about it UK garrison - How bout at one event dressing up all your kids as jawas. Who wouldn't want to see a dozen life size jawas running around?. Im sure the kids would get a kick out of people wanting a pics with them too.

What happened to Seth Mcfarlane? Was he there?

Whats the issue with the Army & Navy being there? Its Star WARS celebration. Anyone notice the key word there? Anyone notice all the people in costumes at CE with guns? Did the rebel alliance win with diplomacy?Did you cheer when luke blew up the death star and killed several million of people?
One for the reason was to provide the assault course to keep the kids occupied. I was more offended by the anti-war vader mask in the vader helmet gallery. All you hippies seem to be offended by the mere notion of the millitary. You need to get a grip.

Anyone notice one of the chewies needed to spend more time in the local kashyyyk gym ;-)

I think I need a costume. I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym so im too bulky to fit in a stormtrooper costume. Any ideas anyone?

Fantasticmrcox
07-16-2007, 06:34 AM
I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym so im too bulky to fit in a stormtrooper costume. Any ideas anyone?

Where was he? Was he near the exit in the fan section?

Andy_Preston
07-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, I had a great time, really glad I decided to go in the end. Photos here... Webshots CE PIcs (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559900002OuGbPK)

On Friday I arrived too late for the Imperial actors talk, so missed the Michael Sheard tribute, which was a shame. I went first to the autograph area, was able to have a quick chat to many of the guests I know, and got autographs from several cast and crew who I'd not met before. I then had a look round the main hall - thought this was quite commercial with a lot of shops, corporate stands and even the army and navy (which I have to say seemed a bit odd). The best parts were the droid builders area, the artists area (where I bought a nice Ralph McQuarrie print), and the Dagobah, Millenium Falcon and Tantive IV stage areas. The Tantive IV was particularly impressive, with the UKG assisting members of the public to recreate the filming of the opening scenes from Star Wars. There were also a number of fan made displays, including a fantastic Jabba with the Rebo Band, an AT-AT, X-wing, snowspeeder (got a nice pic of my friend Dom in his pilot outfit with that one!), speeder bike, and a snowtrooper with cannon, as well as an original prop Podracer. One thing that stood out was the number of people in costume, ranging from the UKG and other European clubs, to home-made outfits of all kinds. I've never seen so many Master Replicas lightsabres! In the South Gallery, I had a good look at the fantastic Palitoy archive - congrats to all responsible for that, I saw pieces I didn't even know about. I then managed to get into the Mark Hamill talk despite a huge queue, and also spent an hour and a half in the fan club lounge chatting with ILM modelmakers Lorne Peterson and Danny Wagner - Lorne especially is a great guy to talk to with loads of stories.

On Friday evening the opening ceremony was held, with Steve Sansweet from Lucasfilm introducing Mark Hamill and Ian McDiarmid, and I then rushed off to Canary Wharf to see the London Symphony Orchestra playing a concert of movie themes including half an hour of Star Wars music.

Saturday was more of the same - I got in an hour early thanks to my fan club membership (turned out to have been an excellent decision to sign up last week!), then spent 3 hours queuing for Mark Hamill's autograph but had chance for a quick chat and a photo when I met him. I had a good look at the Lucasfilm props ( shame there were only half a dozen items). It was great to see David Coulthard's Red Bull Formula 1 car in the Star Wars livery, from the Monaco Grand Prix a couple of years ago. There was also an art exhibit of customized Vader helmets by various artists, which was interesting if a little bizarre! I also had chance to talk with Norman Reynolds (original trilogy production designer) in the fan club lounge, and to hear Rick McCallum's talk on producing the prequels - as well as catching him for an autograph. It was also nice to spend a bit more time talking to some of the actors and crew members in the autograph area, especially Jay Lag'aia (Captain Typho), Dave Barclay (Jabba puppeteer), Michael Culver (Captain Needa), and Dave & Lou Elsey (creature shop). Outside, I caught the UKG setting up for their group photo, which was impressive, although meant that I missed the screening of the new movie Fanboys - I also missed the setting up of the Darth Vader balloon earlier in the day.

On Sunday I again arrived early to get Billy Dee Williams autograph and a photo, and visit the CE shop for souvenirs, then had more time looking round the various exhibits. Then went into BDW's talk, which was interesting - he even sang at one point! Another highlight was talking with original trilogy producer (and Jeremy Bulloch's brother) Robert Watts in the fan club lounge, before having to come away to get the coach home.

All in all an excellent weekend and I really hope they do another one in a year or two's time. The only real negatives were the poor organisation and stewarding, and the huge number of people in the main hall on the Saturday and Sunday. But otherwise the weekend was a blast!

Cheers,

Andy

Bollux
07-16-2007, 07:37 AM
IF I go again I will probably go for at least 2 days, the sheer amount of people and poor organisation on the Saturday meant that I could do little else but shop. I did get some nice things though

ds9619
07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Whats the issue with the Army & Navy being there? Its Star WARS celebration. Anyone notice the key word there? Anyone notice all the people in costumes at CE with guns? Did the rebel alliance win with diplomacy?Did you cheer when luke blew up the death star and killed several million of people?
One for the reason was to provide the assault course to keep the kids occupied. I was more offended by the anti-war vader mask in the vader helmet gallery. All you hippies seem to be offended by the mere notion of the millitary. You need to get a grip.

I am not a hippy having done my time in the British Army and now I handle guns in my Police role. I am one of the Pro Empire lobby and as such don't knock the ethos behind Military might but I, as did some other parents I spoke to, was not impressed with desperate tactics to recruit by HM Forces. Star Wars is escapism not realtity and I don't want to force that on my kiddie.

Sarahjedi0
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Well finally managed to get online to post my review of CE.
Unfortunately I thought what most have said on the forums is true. A lot of it was fun though and everyone showed the stereotype British qualities of making the best of things and have a good time. People were in good spirits and the atmosphere both outside and inside were good.

Unfortunately it seems no-one has really sat down to plan the layout of the Event. The Excel is much bigger than this, was only a small section used deliberately to make it look full inside?

One dealer had a great collection of Star Wars artwork and while flicking through his work there were also pieces showing nude females, nothing to do with Star Wars and VERY innapropriate for this event.

The Army bouncy castle! I know the Star Wars films are themes of War, hence the title but confusing fantasy with reality like this was not on. Why were the Army there recruiting anyway?

The autograph hall was a mess. No-one knew what was going on, even the staff. One rude staffmember with spiky blonde hair was told by someone to 'p*** off or you'll get whacked'. Wisely, p*** off he did. The general rude attitude was really unnecessary and i'm not accusing British folks as some of them had American accents so quite possibly Maki's 'volunteers' as noted by others. Maki himself was also rude, ushering people through as quickly as possible and ignoring people with queries. Its clear to see he's taking a slice of the fees so in-and-out was the order of the day. He's a terrible presenter too as anyone who sat in on the Billy Dee Williams talk will testify.

I have never seen such poor photos at any show worldwide, worth a written complaint to Lucasfilm on their own. Very cheap grade and worthless. The guests were bored, not many were interested in Philpot, Ankrum, Bear, Barclay, Crowley, Edmonds, McRandle (why?), Viskocil, Wagner. Some names arent on the website. Why?

Overall the negatives outweighed the positives. Most of the faults are basic and should have been identified in the planning stage, if there was one. I would like to hear the official explanation for all the above, especially for the somewhat tired guest list and cheap and nasty photos. I get the impression from previous posts from the organisers that they have a 'I know best' attitude. They dont and its now been proven. Do we get an explanation?

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I had a great experience at CE, and my only negative feeling was that I didn't have enough time to spend at the RS booth to meet with everyone who came around. SOrry for not making the effort to dress the stand up more, but (as many of you might know) all ourpromo material got delayed by USPS.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
One dealer had a great collection of Star Wars artwork and while flicking through his work there were also pieces showing nude females, nothing to do with Star Wars and VERY innapropriate for this event.

[/QUOTE]

This should have been reported to CE staff, or even brought to my attention. If you know who the offending dealer is please PM me their details and I'll pass it up the ladder. I'll also let CE/IMIE know about the rude volunteer in the auto hall.

Jeremy

jediknight49
07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Overall the negatives outweighed the positives. Most of the faults are basic and should have been identified in the planning stage, if there was one. I would like to hear the official explanation for all the above, especially for the somewhat tired guest list and cheap and nasty photos. I get the impression from previous posts from the organisers that they have a 'I know best' attitude. They dont and its now been proven. Do we get an explanation?

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to hear what the organisers have to say about the comments people are making.

90% of the comments are about the same things, so its quite clear we all have the same issues. Its not like its one or two people saying things, it's a large collective.

I had one other point to mention, and that was there were lack of areas to grab a sit down. My legs were aching from all the queuing, and it was especially difficult for my g/f (who has had ACL surgery recently). We found only the small area near the food stands to sit. Could have done with another area.

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 10:52 AM
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.

there were lack of areas to grab a sit down

[/QUOTE]

Haven't you been to a Celebration before? Event organisers hardly ever put down seating areas because the floor space is too expensive. There were seats out in the Boulevard though, and though I don't know what ACL surgery is I would have to question your g/f's decision about coming to such an event.

Jeremy

matt76
07-16-2007, 10:54 AM

This should have been reported to CE staff, or even brought to my attention. If you know who the offending dealer is please PM me their details and I'll pass it up the ladder. I'll also let CE/IMIE know about the rude volunteer in the auto hall.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

I spotted a dealer that had naked women drawings granted nothing wrong with it but there is a time and place for it and an event like this is not the place. His stand was near the top near the CE shop it was one of the end stalls, but I can't remember what it was called. His 'Naked Ladies' was showing on the outside/end of the stall so if you was walking past and happened to look you had no choice to seem them.

I couldn't find your stand, I asked loads of people and they just looked at me blankley, I really wanted to meet and say hello and get my badge http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Abstractharmony
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
The main problem with the CE stewards/volunteers (although abbviously not all of them - I'd have wilfully slapped the spiky blond for you!) was trhat whilst there were many volunteers signed up a lot of them jumped ship as soon as they realised that they'd have to do a bit of work leaving a relatively small group of us to work our bottoms off and there not being as many people around as would have been nice.

John Dixon especially who was the floor manager for the Autograph Hall needs to get a medal for the amount of pressure he was under from all angles.

So if you want to blame anyone I think we can safely lay the blame at the people who wanted a free shirt without wanting to actually crew.

Dustin
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, this is the first Euro Event of this kind, it will get better next time.

We've had 4 events like this already in the US and we're just finally getting the hang of it ;-)

baby steps.....

Nick_Macarty
07-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Well Iím exhausted, but it was worth it!

Meeting so many people, including the guys from the US was a real treat. Enjoyed banging into Mark Hamill Thursday or Friday morning, chatting with Steve Sansweet at my booth was just so enjoyable.

Meeting a lot of the UK guys, and putting a face to a name really made the event for me. I also had a few old school friends turn up at my Booth Iíve not seen for years, so lotís of talking.

I simply loved the Rebel Blockade runner Corridor; I could have taken that home with me for sure.My only gripe was the distance to the toilets. Haha

Sorry I didnít get to say bye to everyone, but Iím sure we will still be in touch often.

A big thanks to Dave Tree and the contributors, for the Palitoy Archive.

My thanks to Chris G for presenting me with a frame set of Gold medallions. Simply Awesome! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And a big thanks to Barry, and the guys at Cards Inc for putting this show together, and giving me and my family a great weekend out.

-Nick

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 11:37 AM
baby steps.....

A very good point DLR. People expected too much, and forget that this was a first for EUrope.

But on a high note the attendance figures were better for CE than C4!

Jeremy

Stu_H
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I really enjoyed it

Postives
I meet a load of people who I never spoken to before, but everyone was Star Wars Related, so you had a common thread
The Collector Panels were great! Thanks all!! Any one who stands up and talks about any thing in front of a room is always great.
Collectors Meet on Friday night.
The Medallions a thing of greatness!
Anyone who took the time to dress up! The kids just loved it, those kids will remember meetinbg Vader for years!
Star Wars on the big screen
Meeting Billy Dee and Mark Hamil
Meeting Steve Sansweet in the bar
Meeting Rick McCallum
Jedi Fight on the bridge
Hasbro Figure Poster
Trading card Freebies (Thanks 501st, Norwich Collectors, Cartamundi)
The Fox pub!

Negatives
Friday's Mark Hamil Queue was a joke and beyond silly. The Excel centre had no idea what was going on a virtual system, well actually virtually no system.
The amount of people on Saturday it was packed!! Glad I did all I need on Friday.
The postiion of the panels and Palitoy display. No one knew they were there on Friday!
I hardly saw any Rebelscum badges, something to identify more people at the next Celebration Europe2 will be needed!!
People queuing for something they had no idea about?
People trying to grab Medallions just to sell, the amount of people talking, leaving and just being plan rude was really bad I was annoyed the presenters must have thought worst.

To all those I meet then hi, I did enjoy it, its our first event, the next one will be better

07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I think there were a few chewies. There was one who I think is associated with Uk garrison who was the best because the was the correct height (on stilts).

07-16-2007, 12:27 PM
What is the problem with this? i have seen playboys on sale at most other uk events. This isn't a kids event its for everyone. Plus i assume, as it was an artists stall, that they were drawings/paintings of nude women not photos. Nudes like you may see in any gallery in London.

I had a great experience at CE, and my only negative feeling was that I didn't have enough time to spend at the RS booth to meet with everyone who came around. SOrry for not making the effort to dress the stand up more, but (as many of you might know) all ourpromo material got delayed by USPS.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

stylie_steve
07-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I had a great time at CE. Being from NZ I don't get much of a chance to attanded anything like this and I really enjoyed myself but spent way too much money!

Got all my exclusives including the Animated Boba Fett Statue which is great and had no hassles getting any autograph or exclusives. Awesome time!

SteveSith
07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue. Added to this you had to get a photo ticket for £3 which wasnt advertised anywhere at the event or mentioned by the staff selling tickets. Some of the guests didn't really know about it either.

Agreed and I know after going to conventions and talking to many guests, most say they are very reluctant handling money from visitors. Thats why some shows have assistants or coupon systems to counter that. However most organisers dont trust assistants with money as they are usually just volunteers!
Like you I would rather just give the guest cash when you meet them, it all goes to the organiser anyway and are easier than complicated coupon systems that no-one understands.

I dont agree with your other point about the naked lady artwork. It doesnt matter wether its art or a photo it doesnt belong at a Star Wars event. Granted it was in Europe though!
I doubt reporting it would have made a difference as most of the staff let us down with their lack of manners and knowledge it seemed they would have ignored any issues we raise.

Big_Phil
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
The dealer area was crammed on Saturday and Sunday. You could barely move. Kept me busy though.

Not surprising I seen no one. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DarthInwah
07-16-2007, 01:41 PM
sounds like CE was fun! and sounds like things don't change!!

1. Lines Lines Lines
2. sounds like Ben and official pix need to make the trek to Europe!
3. I think that Slave Leia is americano. She was at the CIV master replicas party

thanx for all your posts UK Scummers

mousedroid
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue.

I'm not sure how it worked at CE, but at some conventions, celebrity guests require a "guaranteed" signing fee to attend. The way this works is that the guest and the convention agrees to a set minimum the guest will get for their time - $5,000, or $10,000 for example. The guest then charges a certain amount for an autograph $10, $15, $20, etc. If they collect less during the weekend than their "guarantee", the convention is required to make up the difference. If they make more, they keep it all.

You'd like to think that none of the guests would be unscrupulous enough to pocket any of the money and low-ball the organizers to increase the amount they get (i.e. claim they didn't make their guarantee while pocketing $1,000 that put them over their minimum), but it's a risk many organizers won't take. That's why there's often a trusted convention volunteer sitting with the guest and/or a voucher system. Not that the guest couldn't throw away some of the vouchers if they have a guarantee, but otherwise they have to turn them in to get their money and the organizers know exactly how well they did - that also helps the organizers decide whether that guest was a big enough draw to invite them back in the future.

On the other hand, some large conventions in the US don't pay guests to attend - San Diego Comic-Con is one, and perhaps Dragon*con is the same way. That's why you'll often see the guest themself, or one of their friends taking the money, because the Con has no real financial stake in how well they do.

LKraan
07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
baby steps.....

A very good point DLR. People expected too much, and forget that this was a first for EUrope.

But on a high note the attendance figures were better for CE than C4!

Jeremy

I doubt that the everage visitor expected too much. The people here are probably a little bit more picky than the average visitor who doesn't go to these events on a regular base. Good to hear these comments though if the organisation uses it to make the next one even better.

I had never been to a Star Wars convention (the tiny one in the Netherlands a couple of years back doesn't count http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and I had a great time.
I've been to a lot of work related conventions and this one came accross as professionally organised and well thought out.

I really liked the balance between the commercial part/vendors and activities.
There was more than enough to do for me and for my 5 year old.

How big is the change for another CE in 3 or 4 years?

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
What is the problem with this? i have seen playboys on sale at most other uk events.

This event was heavily marketed to families and it contained children's activity areas.

Nudes like you may see in any gallery in London.

True. There is a difference between art and pR0n.

If they were provocative images then they would have asked them to be removed.

Jeremy

stevehuk
07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Considering the number of visitors from the USA I was surprised to see only one massively obese person (and I think he was a Brit ;-).
I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym

I for one Find this offensive as I was there with my daughter, remember you were probably once a snot nosed screaming brat!

Also I found your next comment offensive as I like the rest of my family are of the full bodied figure and are british through and through, I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

Mabey i'm wrong. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway apart from your comments I enjoyed my time with my family and friends at Celebration Europe!

DarthInwah
07-16-2007, 02:25 PM

I for one Find this offensive as I was there with my daughter, remember you were probably once a snot nosed screaming brat!

Also I found your next comment offensive as I like the rest of my family are of the full bodied figure and are british through and through, I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

Anyway apart from your comments I enjoyed my time with my family and friends at Celebration Europe!

yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

Probably a comment by a teenager, obviously without children and likely without a significant other....

JediBigBad
07-16-2007, 02:43 PM

yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

Probably a comment by a teenager, obviously without children and likely without a significant other....

Hit the nail squarely on the head there I think....someone needs to get a life I reckon!

07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Actually, toby Philpot and Daver Barclay were saying that they were told that they would have assistants but they didn't get any. This was on friday so i don't know if they got assistants later. Only a couple of the regular Guests seemed to have assistants (Matt Sloan and Kenny Baker)
but I think they were their own people. Can understand some guests finding handling money distasteful but I think assistants are a much better idea than vouchers.

[/QUOTE] Agreed and I know after going to conventions and talking to many guests, most say they are very reluctant handling money from visitors. Thats why some shows have assistants or coupon systems to counter that.

[/QUOTE]

07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
[/QUOTE]I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

[/QUOTE]

fo∑rum (fŰr'əm, fōr'-)
n., pl. fo∑rums also fo∑ra (fŰr'ə, fōr'ə).

1. A public meeting place for open discussion .
2. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
3. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience

A forum is a place for discussion and debate. You don't have to like peoples views (or the people). Personally I find some of the recent posts criticising the army/navy involvement offensive. But everyone has a right express an opinion.

As far as I am concerned, more than anything else, CE was about the attendees. I was making comments about the attendees. Personally i think that is valid. If you don't then refer to my previous paragraph.

Please also note that I have made positive comments about a fuller figured attendee (one of the slave leias) earlier in this thread.

07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
[/QUOTE] yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

[/QUOTE]

It seems that offending people on rebelscum is like shooting fish in a barrel (or gungans in a bacta tank). Since CE is over I will be going back to the more relaxed and liberal surroundings of the Showm*****s forum where people have a sense of perspective.

Just one last reply though. Sorry Cracker but your psyschological profile of me is a little off. Im 28 and have a g/f. Don't have kids but have worked with children in the NHS. I like kids - just not brats.

MattCharlton
07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi guys,

Just signed up so I thought I'd say hi and make my first post a relevant one.

We had three day tickets. Without a doubt Friday was the best day - it was quiet http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif We were at the front of the queue for Mint Imperials, got straight in and managed to get in the middle on the front row. I had the pleasure of being the first person to wish the rest of the CE visitors well with the classic "May the Force be with you" when Warwick asked me to go and talk to him on stage.

http://mattcharlton.co.uk/photoblog/images/20070713205755_img_0247.jpg

We enjoyed ourselves Friday, took everything in and paid a visit to the Empire stand where one of the staff members asked me what I thought - I told him I was disappointed and I'd expected more. He seemed suprised at this and asked me to elaborate - I just explained that there didn't actually seem to be all that much there.

The army and the navy took up a third of the hall - what the hell were they doing there ffs? Come and join the navy.....yes you're in a hall full of star wars fanatics (most of them, like me are a little tubby around the mid section - the last thing we're going to do is join the navy). Just seemed a waste of space.

The lucasfilm archives......4 items in domes - I expected a walkthrough impromptu museum ala what I'd walked through in Bradford at the Art of Star Wars exhibition. Shouldn't have even warranted a mention in the publicity.

The staff at the Excel were a complete and utter farce. They were regularly upsetting fans/misinforming them, there was no co-ordination. Even the guys in red polo shirts that were organising Mark Hamill's appearance were getting very annoyed with them.

Saturday and Sunday were a nightmare - the queues were stupid. The queue went all the way around the hall....3/4 of the people in the queues did not know what the hell they were queuing up for. This could have been circumvented by use of the tannoy to announce what event was taking place on the celebrity stage next.

The worst example of this I saw was for the Indy old boys talk. The queue was huge and every seat was taken in the auditorium. There was no text on the screens to show what was taking place. As soon as people realised that it was Warwick talking to three guys about fx sequences and miniatures on the indy films all but around 200 people got up and left. This was so rude - but if people were only there for a day and thought that the ray park thing that was on just before was going to be repeated all day then who can blame them?

Nobody knew there was a schedule, nobody knew what was going on.

That aside, I had a great time and I'll go again if the rumours are true about it becoming something thats a little more regular.

Some of the US visitors I spoke to did say that the autographs were twice as expensive as CIV - should that perhaps be addressed rather than the old 1:1 £-$ conversion we see all too often?

There were also constantly people with regular orange lanyards in the hyperspace lounge - but noobody to tell them they weren't allowed to go in there.

I think at times there were too many people in the hall for it to be enjoyable. There was nothing in the North halls. It would have been expensive (I'm sure they made enough money from tickets, etc) but they could have used both side of the Excel, had a couple of stages set up with proper queing systems, signs up to state what was on next/currently, all staff singing from the same hymn sheet as it were so that they all gave out the same information and everything ran more smoothly.

Have you ever seen so many ForceFX lightsabers before? I decided not to take mine in the end.

Matt

stevehuk
07-16-2007, 03:57 PM
No matter how you hide behind forum rules you must accept that some of the attendees (myself included) are members here and will be offended by comments made about children even if you don't have a problem with fuller figured people then you must accept that to insult the children who attended the event was out of order, I have grown up with Star Wars I was born in 1977 so I am growing old with Star Wars and it made me feel great to see the younger generation having so much fun and remembering back to my own childhood. We were all young once remember.

Just because you did not agree with the children there having fun you do not have the right to come into this forum and call the children snotty nosed screaming brats and their parents stupid!

I found that comment insulting to myself, my Wife and my Daughter!

I must say that I did agree with some of your comments about other parts of the event but I just hope in the future we can learn to accept that the Star Wars universe belongs to all ..... YOUNG & OLD (& those in the middle http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

jedicouncil
07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I attended Fri and Saturday and aside from meeting Hamill the main highlights for me were meeting and getting autographs from those not signing in the autogrpah hall. I managed to get Lorne Peterson, Don Bies, Norman Reynolds, Robert Watts and Rick McCallum, aslo managing to get my photo taken with the last three.

Friday was great as we were able to look around the stalls and art etc freely without mad crowds of people. My only complaint was the organisation (or complete lack of it) for the Hamill que. Ive honestly never seen such a shambles in all my life. I ende up queing for almost three hours, with some people who joined the que an hour after me getting seen almost an hour before me - what a complete joke!

I was completley ignorant of the need to get a token for the photos and just gave each guest I met the autograph tokens and they all happily signed one of their photos for me, with none of them mentioning the token. I only found about it on the Saturday when Brian Muir's helper (not sure if it was his wife), mentioned it but told me not to worry about it. A special mention for Dave & Lou Elsey who were two of the nicest guests I have men at any con. They were happy to chat and told me they didnt care if they got anything else out of the event as they had just met Stuart Freeborn and that had totally made their weekend. (on a side note I was near the front of the que when Staurt and Kay went up to see Mark Hamill and it looked like quite an emotional reunion).

With the exception of Brian Muir, I managed to get all of the autographs I needed (from the hall at least) on Friday so Saturday should have been a more relaxed day, which it was up until approx 11.30 when hundreds of extra peolpe started to appear and it seemed as though we were crowded in like sardines. I did manage to see a few talks though and really enjoyed the Star Wars One Man Show and the Anthony Daniels talk. I was literally just leaving for the day when I saw a couple of people standing, getting posters out with pens in their hands. I went to see what was happening and Rick McCallum was coming out after his talk. By the time he came over to us there were quite a few of us and a lot of pushing and shoving going on which security failed to manage. However, I was lucky enough to get two pics signed and my photo tken with him so I went home very happy. Robert Watts was a true gent, I met him (and Norman) for the second day running and Robert even told me where he was likely to be on Sunday in case I had anything else I wanted signed.

I have to agree with everybody else on the extremely poor photo quality and have to say that was a major let down on a otherwise great couple of days.

I will post a link to my photos on the photo thread once I have them all uploaded, sorry if I have bored anyone by going on a bit

jr2d2
07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
My thoughts, a really great event, loads to be ironed out for future CE events (and we have to assume there will be right?) but that happened with the original Celebration events and now look at it. I'll have a brief ramble, hopefully someone will take note.

A lack of an information area was disturbing, and finding the fan club lounge, panel room, palitoy archive, etc was tricky. Fortunatly I took the advice of C4 attendees and made time to learn my way around while it was quiet (fan club membership has many perks).

The queues should have been more organised. At one time I figured the queue for the celebrity stage (at this time snaking around the hall all the way to the exit) actually had people queuing for three different shows. That should have been controlled by the staff better but I actually think the layout was to blame as well.

I'll probably have more to say once I collect my thoughts more but I really enjoyed it despite the sat and sun crowds.

redxavier
07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Why were there queues at all for the events? Did they not open the doors to the stage until mere moments before it started?

Fortunately, I didn't do any queuing. We walked straight into the LucasArts presentation, and then came out and walked into the One Man Show via the side entrance next to the Jabba dais after it had started.

One thing I did notice was a staff member just standing around at the top of one of the stairs just letting people hang around - blocking other people from coming up. There was so many free seats on the Saturday showing.

jediknight49
07-17-2007, 02:59 AM
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.

there were lack of areas to grab a sit down

Haven't you been to a Celebration before? Event organisers hardly ever put down seating areas because the floor space is too expensive. There were seats out in the Boulevard though, and though I don't know what ACL surgery is I would have to question your g/f's decision about coming to such an event.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

I have not been to a Celebration before. I am not awash with cash to afford trips to the USA.

ACL is the same operation that many footballers have. Its reconstruction of the knee ligaments.

Regarding questioning my g/f's decision to visit, we had paid over £50 for her to go to this event in January and we were not going to throw that amount of cash away.

Just a few more seats were required in my opinion.

I doubt she will go again. She was not that impressed with some of the things on show. She thought parts of it were like being at M'robillia in Birmingham!

One final point. Why were joe public allowed in at 9.25 on Saturday and just after 9 on Sunday when i, as a FAN CLUB MEMBER, was suppose to have exclusively the first hour to browse and shop ect..????

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Why were joe public allowed in at 9.25 on Saturday and just after 9 on Sunday

Because the line was so huge and the managers at ExCel wanted to keep the Boulevard clear for safty reasons, they got CE organisers to open the doors early.

I'm not sure if you were aware that the Early Bird hour started early on Saurday and SUnday as well.

Jeremy

Lordpercy
07-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Finally got internet access so I can post my thoughts (been itching to talk about it all since saturday only to have internet problems at home)

I was there Saturday - got to Excel at about 10 to be greated by the largest crowd i've seen at an event like this ever - the queue was the full lenght of excel and one and a half times around the car park

Despite this hour long wait to get in, 99% of people queued patiently and chatted happily, while watching all the mini Anakins and Obi Wans batter each other around the car park with those pop up lightsable

As for the 1% of queue jumpers (you know who you are!) - i hope you all get large pointy stones in your shoes http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The show itself was fantasic - although I have to admit that it was so packed up until 2ish that I had considered leaving early

Highlight no. 1:

Getting to be a rebel soldier on the battle of the Tantive IV and dying valiently and very dramatically
(sadly the missus didnt get to video the finished film - but I got a photograph and a great memory)

Highlight no. 2

Garrick Hagon - What a legend! Chatted to him for about 5 minutes and he was a real gent, possibly one of my favourite autograph experiences (and thanks to Rebelscummer Kornel for taking a photo for me with Garrick)

So many other great things, and it was great to see ThreeDarths as always, looking very harrased on his very busy stall!

Downsides:

1. Need more money for all the awesome things to buy!
2. Only had a one day ticket - wish i'd gone all three
3. Didnt manage to get into any of the talks http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Overall, just a generally great time

ROLL ON CE II

SFBanks
07-17-2007, 07:09 AM
I quick run down on my day at CE (Saturday)

04.30 Got up and headed for Glasgow Airport to catch my plane to heathrow.

08.00 Got the underground at Heathrow to Excel via the DLR

09.40 Arrived at Excel to find a great crowd and que to get in the length of the centre.

10.15 Entered the main hall and headed straight fot the rebelscum booth to collect my badge.

10.30 - 11.30 Wandered through the main stalls and picked up a MR Qui Gon LE and 2 GG Bly busts.

11.30 Feeling hungry my wife and I headed to the boulevard to get some early lunch. Glad I went early because just as I was eating the que for food was up the stairs!!

12.00 Decided to go to the Crew Talk but inly stayed about 15 mins because We could not hear anything that was said.

12.15 - 13.15 Qued for the 1 man star wars Trilogy. Only to be que jumped as I was going in by a man and his 2 kids as we were going in. I had a word with him and told him we had been queing for an hour and he just gave me abuse and marched in!!

13.15 - 14.15 One man Star Wars Trilogy.... Absolutely amazing!!!!

14.30 - 15.00 Went to the official store to buy some presents for my son and nephew. Also picked up a fridge magnet for myself http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15.00 - 15.30 Sat down and had a well earned rest with a cup of tea!

15.30 - 16.00 Walked round the artist stalls and pondered a few purchases.

16.00 - 16.30 decided to go back to the official store and bought a MR Shadow trooper helmet!

16.30 - 17.30 LF Archive and Vader Helmets. Thought there would be more in the Archive

17.30 Headed back to Heathrow.

19.00 Had a nice dinner relaxing in Heathrow Airport.

21.30 Flight back to Glasgow.

00.00 Arrived back in my house!

A very long day, but worth it. I would definetly go for a three day pass the next time so I could see more talks etc.

I also think the should have used both sides of Excel and spread everything out a bit better. Saturday afternoon you could hardly move.

If you have read this far then congratulations!

SteveSith
07-17-2007, 07:17 AM
http://www.grantgb.com/vaderproject/020.jpg
Quite appropriate and credit to 'bbb' for posting this photo and credit to 'The Vader Project' guys.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
16.30 - 17.30 LF Archive and Vader Helmets. Thought there would be more in the Archive

LFL is nervous about loaning too many of its highly valuable props out and with two travelling exhibitions (Europe and USA) currently monopolising several thousand items you have to understand that you can't have everything.

What they should have done was given out some kind of voucher for tickets to see the Exhibition. WIth that many fans in town you think they'd have made more of an effort to promote the Exhibition. All I saw was a small kiosk at the bottom of the escalators up to the Platinum level. And all that had in it was a bunch of leaflets.

Jeremy

MattCharlton
07-17-2007, 08:33 AM
We were told on the Friday that we'd get 20% off if we took our 3 day badges. Didn't think it was worth the effort, anyone that had been didn't have much good to say about it.

Doesn't sound like the exhibition was of the same standard of the "Art of Star Wars" one.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
We were told on the Friday that we'd get 20%

[/QUOTE]

Jezzum, talk about good communication. You'd think that they wouldn't want the numbers huh?

Thanks for the info though.

I agree with you - AoSW was awesome. And you got a goodie bag and the ticket price was nearly half that of COunty Hall.

Jeremy

MattCharlton
07-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I think it was less than £6 when it was up here in Bradford.

They did a special event where they had a marathon (all 4 films that were out at that times - shown I-IV-V-VI and entry to the AoSW exhibition for £30.

That was a brilliant day http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just wish I'd gone to the exhibit a few more times whilst it was here. I still have the goodie bag somewhere.

mattman81
07-17-2007, 10:31 AM
All-in-all, I thought CE was brilliant. It had good and bad points, the bad ones mainly being it needed to be bigger, much bigger (and apparantly CE2 will be twice as big) and the rapper doing the interviewing at Plat. suite 3 was utter, utter rubbish.
The Mark Hamill panel was the best I've ever been too, and the atmosphere was fantastic.

I think everyone was surprised by the number of attendees (45,000+) and personally I'm really pleased about that (even though it meant huge over-crowding) because it secures the shows future and for a test run, they know exactly what needs to be done for CE2.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Funny thing is, I finally got to meet [censored] Vaughan, with whom I have been boun cing emails for nearly 10 years.

He is the manager of the Bradford IMAX and he put that event on http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeremy

marky242
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
So any rumours as to where CE2 will be held?

Wuher
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
My guess is Germany

But thats me

Regards Wuher

I'll be in the beerkeller(sp)

Sylvius
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Highlight no. 1:

Getting to be a rebel soldier on the battle of the Tantive IV and dying valiently and very dramatically
(sadly the missus didnt get to video the finished film - but I got a photograph and a great memory)

I volunteered for this on the Sunday and had a great time doing the scene, I just made sure I got selected!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice photo at the end and I videoed my performance on the TV screen after it! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sylvius

matt76
07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I really enjoyed watching Fanboys the only thing that let it down as the sound system. Was it just me or did anyone think the sounds wasn't right at times it was notable during talking parts, not sure this was cause it was a rough cut or that the base was turned up to much.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I volunteered for this on the Sunday

Sylvius, you made a big impact on the guys putting on the Experience. They got out your tape just to point you out to me.

Sylvius is in the bottom right of this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/sylvius1968/TantiveIV.jpg

Jeremy

Sylvius
07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I volunteered for this on the Sunday

Sylvius, you made a big impact on the guys putting on the Experience. They got out your tape just to point you out to me.
Jeremy

Nice that I made everyone laugh at the same time! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd like to thank them personally for giving me the chance to act and do a memorable scene! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just wish I knew how to transfer my video recording to a computer! I wouldn't even know where to start! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sylvius

On a side note, is there any way of emailing someone there to thank them personally for the opportunity given to act out the scene? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David_Tree
07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
My thoughts in short - bloody knackering.

Nick_Macarty
07-17-2007, 03:27 PM
My thoughts in short - bloody knackering.

Same here. We only stayed in the Hotel for 2 nights, and we bought back 2 weeks worth of washing. Wife brought everything but the kitchen sink. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Nick

SteveSith
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Did anyone catch Mark Dermul's talk on fan collecting upstairs? I didnt even know when it was on but a friend said it was too full to get in and only caught some of it. Very interesting he said it was too.

jr2d2
07-17-2007, 04:25 PM
A few of the panels were full, I tried to get into one half way through but wasn't allowed, I must say one of only four or five I missed.

I saw Mark Demuls presentation I think, which one was it again, I will only know if I know the topic.

I further thought, and it is panel related in fact. Could we have had less (or condense them down). I was keen to do nearly all of them (which I did in fact manage) but it was a bit over kill imo. Especially Friday with all those half hour ones. For me there were other things to do at CE other than the panels and I only just managed to do all I wanted to but I was rushed of my feet all weekend. Four days would have been good, I think the crowds proved that could have been pulled off.

Overall however the panels were fantastic, I didn't go to them just for the medallions, although a nice bonus. I know loads more stuff I never used to know even in areas I wouldn't have expected. All credit to the guys and gals that seemed to be there all weekend doing all the work and those giving up there time to talk about there specialist topics.

I think we needed slightly more floor space and as I mentioned before this includes a better layout.

More thoughts to come http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mattman81
07-17-2007, 04:28 PM
My guess for CE2 is the ExCel again, but they'll use all of it. It makes sense having it there again, and although it would be fairer to have another European City host the show, it didn't stop them holding CII & CIII at the same venue. Of cause, it's far too early to speculate, but there where plenty of hints CE will return.

BigBadDaddyVader
07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I had a total blast.Three days of pure Star Wars and meeting up with other members of the original prop community.
Personal highlight was meeting my absolute and complete hero Mark Hamill.Luke Skywalker was and remains one of my role models and to actually meet him and,more importantly I feel,for him to be such an ace guy was a fantastic moment I will never forget.He talked with me,shook my hand,signed my Norman Harrison-made Luke ROTJ saber and this is a pic i will forever treasure:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2957/hamilllj3.jpg
Only downsides:
Missed Charlie Ross' one man show on every day as it clashed with other things
T-Shirt sizes woefully mis-described.XL is definitely more like a medium
The Archive display was frankly a joke.Totally pitiful.I have more screen-used pieces in my damn bedroom.Three screen-used props does not an archive display make.Hugely disappointing.
Other than that the atmosphere was amazing and seeing McDiarmid at his first convention was very special.When the generator went down during the showing of Star Wars I am CONVINCED it was 400 Star Wars geeks using the force brought that thing back to life!
One last gripe is that they could have had the decency to show the theatrical edition rather than the 2004 DVD edition seeing as we WERE there celebrating the 30th anniversary of it's release.That was pretty poor form I thought.
But overall like I say I had a total blast.I have never been to a deal like this as they never have anything in Northern Ireland-no conventions at all for stuff like this.Great to be around everyone there for the same reason-the love of Star Wars.Special atmosphere for me anyway.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kronet
07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Garrick Hagon - What a legend! Chatted to him for about 5 minutes and he was a real gent, possibly one of my favourite autograph experiences (and thanks to Rebelscummer Kornel for taking a photo for me with Garrick)

I think that was me, perhaps. Hope the photo turned out okay!

I just wanted to touch on the highlights of my two days:
Meeting Mark Hamill for the brief minute or so I had.
Talking with the guests in general. Most if not all seemed real enthused to be there.
Talking with the artists in the Artists Gallery, and the "Art of Ralph McQuarrie" guys. They had a limited number of artists proofs from McQ's collection for £10 - I thought that was a steal!
Meeting Nick from ThreeDarths with whom I've dealt with previously. His stall was one of the more busier but still took time out to have a quick chat and point me in the direction of the RS booth.
Getting to see fellow Scummer Nick_Macarty's customs in person, they are incredible.
Having a chat with Cristian and Cortney Macht from The Force Among Us.

How about the Belgian 501st? If I'm not mistaken, they were responsible for most of the props in the venue; the AT-AT, the Snowtrooper w/ E-Web, the speederbike, and the awesome Falcon lounge and corridor. It really helped with the immersion.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8908/intut9.jpg

malla
07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Got home around 1:30 am this morning.......after what should have been an 8 hour flight.....but ended up being an 8 hour flight with a medical emergency landing and 9 hour layover in Newfoundland while Canadian officers confiscated the plane...... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif (seems a young lady had a possible drug overdose due to a possible drug smuggling mishap...or so the rumors went) But we finally did arrive to the US....and I made it home....I'm exhausted... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif....but very happy http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CE was great. Heard that it had a bigger turnout than C4......but not sure if that's true.

I know there were problems all around the convention but I thought it was great just the same. I heard that the photos were not what had been ordered http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif and the printers delivered them late with no time to make any changes. What a shame for everyone. But after I frame them and hang them on my wall.....they'll look good... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Some of you were not happy with the long wait to get in. But compared to some conventions, they were short! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif And at least the weather was nice. Try waiting in a long line in freezing rain, or worse... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I compared CE with the NY Com Con. After attending SDCC for a few years and then attending the NY Con last year........what a big difference. It was their first convention and NY had sooooo many problems. For one, Firemarshals shut the show down, not allowing anyone to come in. What a mess.
This year was their second convention..and NY was much improved. So, possibly like NY Com Con.......CE, being the first time con.......has some things to work out if they do another con.
Like the saying........you learn by your mistakes.
If they do have another one........I'm sure gonna try to make it!!

JediClare said: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Being in queues for about 41/2 hours today.....

[/QUOTE] But you got your autograph, right?? I remember at one convention......sat in line for 6 1/2 hours....and DID NOT get the autograph! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lee_c00per said:
Weren't the people helping out in the autograph hall meant to be Malki's people? That may expalin the rudeness

[/QUOTE] Actually most of the people helping out in the autograph hall weren't Maki's. There were GenCon staff, their volunteers and Security people too. And unfortunately, with all situations where there are 'volunteers'.....sometimes they would rather have fun than do their jobs. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif So some of the confussion and problems were due to those people.

Steve Sith said:
I attempted to shoot but was stopped by staff, he did have an American accent so it wouldn't have surprised me if they were Maki's drones. Sounded similar to my twang so I jokingly asked where they were from and they just walked away!

[/QUOTE] If you were stopped by someone with an American accent, they weren't Maki's guys.

JediClare asked:
Where were Jerome Blake & Angus McInnes or Mary Oyaya?????

[/QUOTE] Angus was there......sitting next to Ian Liston. I heard that Jerome wasn't feeling well and he got there late on Friday. Not sure if he was there all day on Saturday or not, but he didn't come until very, very late on Sunday.
And Mary must have canceled at the last minute...she wasn't there. I've seen her before though, so she does come to cons.

To everyone who posted pics...... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks! They were great. Like usual, I go to cons and hardly take any pics. Then kick myself later. So it was good to see everyone else's.

One last thing. It seemed that Mark was having a great time. I've seen him a few times before and this was the first time he appeard to be really enjoying himself. He spent time with the fans and stayed late to make sure everyone got their autograph and pics. Cool!!!

MattCharlton
07-18-2007, 01:56 AM
I really enjoyed watching Fanboys the only thing that let it down as the sound system. Was it just me or did anyone think the sounds wasn't right at times it was notable during talking parts, not sure this was cause it was a rough cut or that the base was turned up to much.

It wasn't just you. We were just behind the reserve seats at the front on the left hand side (just behind the director) and the sound levels seemed too high for me - it caused audio distortion and made some parts of the dialogue difficult to hear.

It was the audio system rather than the rough cut. Fabulous film, will be watching it at the cinema when its released.

CE2 could be held at the NEC in Birmingham - its larger, easier to get to for most people (as its central to the country). If they decide to hold it at the Excel again thats fine - but they need to use both sides of the building.

Nick_Macarty
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
I forgot to mention that I had Brian Doyle come to my Booth, thats "Action Figure Digest" UK reporter. It was good to finaly meet him, and have a quick chat, take pictures etc.

-Nick

SteveSith
07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
CE2 could be held at the NEC in Birmingham - its larger, easier to get to for most people (as its central to the country). If they decide to hold it at the Excel again thats fine - but they need to use both sides of the building.

I would like CE2 to be at Excel again, it deserves another chance to get it right. The location is stunning, very beautiful with the River Thames right next to it and the Jedi V Sith battle on Excel bridge was against an amazing backdrop. I can see why they would want to do it somewhere else in Europe but I would like the next one to be at London again and at the Excel, and, like previous posters have said, please use all of it this time!

Jeremy
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
with the River Thames right next to it

I hate to burst your bubble but the Thames was a mile further south. It was the Royal Victoria Dock that was next to ExCel.

I hope that this doesn't affect your opinion of ExCel.

And for the record - I agree with you. ExCel would be a good place to repeat CE at some point. I'd also like the other European cities to get a bite at the cherry.

If you aren't convinced picture a nightime Jedi battle on the Eiffel Tower (http://www.hulubei.net/tudor/photography/photos/E/i/Eiffel-Tower-1-1000x1500.jpg) or the Brandenburg Gate (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/0/0a/Brandenburg_Gate_at_night.jpg) at night.

Jeremy

Malc
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I had a fantastic weekend and it's sparked my interest levels back up as for the last couple of years (after a house move and having to pack up my collection) it had been tailing off a bit.

It's made me want to get the spare room sorted out to display my plastic, to finish off the part collections I have and to start new ones. More important than that it's made me realize there's loads of great people involved in this hobby and it's made me want to be more social about it all instead of locking it all away as a hidden secret.

Anyhow my thoughts on the show...

The good:

Just the fact that Europe got a Celebration
The 501st and the great props that they provided & the prize draw in which I scored a RU prize
One Man Star Wars - awesome show, if you missed it you missed out
Costume Pageant - worth going just for Lego Vader & the dude on the Tauntaun
Collectors Panels - I only caught a couple but both were great
Tattoo contest - some nice ink on show (and some not so good), I wish I'd entered my upper arm Vader cover up ink now
Anybody who had the courage to dress up - respect to you all you brightened my days
Lego stand - some fantastic set ups especially the Falcon and hanger
Free medallions - I only got one but it's cool none the less
Mark Hamill - I don't care if he charged £85, it's Mark Hamill and he can do what he likes
Preview of the Clone Wars - looks awesome and I can't wait
Anything I bought, the current fave being my mini Shadow Stormtrooper helmet and plush Vader
Artwork - some great stuff on show and managed to pick my better half up a Mr Men ltd print which kept me in her good books
Propstore - a bit of a shortage of Star Wars but I love some of the stuff they had on display especially the (about £13,000?) Arnie jacket
Steve Sansweet - I see & hear about that much on the net it felt like I already knew him but it was great to see him in person
Warwick David - legend and always great entertainment
Being surrounded by people who have no issue with you being a Star Wars geek

The bad:

Lack of information - generally there was a lack of communication and you had to find some things by chance
The program was out of date and I couldn't find an up to date schedule from the staff - thanks to the guy who heard me and gave me one he had
Paying for a lanyard - a bit of a liberty in my opinion and should have been included with the ticket price
The lines for the Vader project
The Vader project - waiting for a long time maybe I expected too much but overall I was disappointed
Archives - they weren't bad as such but just small
The rapper who presented the Tattoo contest & Model-makers, he didn't seem to know anything about tattoos, modelmaking or Star Wars and was generally a pain in the backside.
Dealers could have done with more room between them as it was gridlock at time

A lot of people are banging on about the Forces being there but before you criticize I think you need something answering - did they take up space that somebody else (a Star Wars based company) was willing to pay for? I doubt it and in that case I would rather they fill the space than nothing. It gave the young kids something to do and there was no hard sell by the forces - it was about promotion not recruitment and that was aimed at the adult men there I would have thought. That a youngster might get interested is no bad thing - by the time they can join they'll realize what it's all about so no need to get all panicky about it.

I'm sure there was other stuff as well but overall I think it was a massive success, sure their were problems but it was a first and most firsts have issues - let's hope we get another and that lessons are learnt.

David_Tree
07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
A lot of people are banging on about the Forces being there but before you criticize I think you need something answering - did they take up space that somebody else (a Star Wars based company) was willing to pay for? I doubt it and in that case I would rather they fill the space than nothing.

The bad:

Archives - they weren't bad as such but just small

I think you just answered your own question. 99% of the feedback I had was concerning the location and the size and space I had to create The Palitoy Archive. Most people could not figure out why an exhibition unique to the event was in the most tucked up, out of the way place with no sinage pointing to it - and for a lot of people, it was the highlight of their event too.

I've got no probs with the Forces there, as they provided entertainment to the event in the form of bands etc, however giving space to non-Star Wars exhibits over those that are hidden away isn't helpful. I know there are wider implications and organisational issues connected to it, but thought I'd offer a different perspective for a Star Wars event, rather than the political one.

I would have given my right arm for more space, I'm sure more people would have seen it and you'd be happier that the Archives were not so small.

Dave.

Malc
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Aplogies I was talking about the Lucasfilm Archives (was that the 4 heads in a dome downstairs in the Platinum rooms?), no critism of the Palitoys was intended.

But if that's the case then I stand corrected and I'd rather have had your room downstairs (and bigger if you wanted more space) where everybody could have seen it. Unfortunatley I missed it, I noticed you when I went to the tattoo talk and was going to come back but then forgot which if yould been given downstairs space I'm sure me and many others wouldn't have done.

redxavier
07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Wasn't there an actor from Red Dwarf at his own stall? I thought that was inappropriate. It's not a SciFi con after all.

Nick_Macarty
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah he was opposite my booth, with another actor from "Red Dwarf"

The next day at the same booth had Colin Baker (Dr Who), and Paul Darrow from Blakes 7. There was even the guy who played Squid head a few rows down, at his own booth.

To me, it just add's a little extra somthing to the day.

-Nick

BradG
07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I had a great time. I spent 98-99% of my time in the autograph hall. I got a lot of autographs and took a ton of pictures. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

malla
07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
BradG says---
and took a ton of pictures

[/QUOTE]

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif Picture?!?!?!?
.......... Let's see pictures!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ds9619
07-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but I haven't seen it. Sylvius and I spoke about there being a DVD of the event. There were certainly cameras involved at the official side. Does anyone know if this is in the pipeline? I think it would be worth a tenner for the nostalgia alone.

ponda_barfly
07-19-2007, 03:51 AM
I agree about the tatoo comp, it was great fun, but good grief is was so badly hosted! That rapper fella was the worst presenter I have ever seen, asking the same three uninspiring questions to every competitor. "how long have you had it?" "Did it hurt?" "how many sittings did you have?" and to top it off asking one girl if she went septic.Nice. I cant belive they let him host two things.

Yeah the red dwaf thing was odd, though when I walked past they both looked bored as nobody was coming up to them, hardly a suprise though.

mattman81
07-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Yes, that rapper bloke was a disgrace and should never, ever be allowed to host anything again. I rather suspect he's never actually seen Star Wars for one thing, and he used the F-Word during the John Mollow talk which with Children around, wasn't really wise. Apparantly he was chosen by Mary Franklin of Lucasfilm.

ponda_barfly
07-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Yeah that guy was dreadful...

He made Warwick Davis look like Parkinson. I thought Mr Davis did a splendid impression of Alan Partridge with some truly stinking intros. Favorate being during in mint imperials on friday morning he brought on some guests by saying "lets hope they dont get too hot under the coller, as I welcome..." Genuis!

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
[99% of the feedback I had was concerning the location and the size and space I had to create The Palitoy Archive.

I think Malc was referring to the Lucasfilm Archives, Dave.

Sylvius and I spoke about there being a DVD of the event.

There were a lot of camera crews there - mostly from UK/European TV channels. If LFL had their own unit thee then I hope the footage will get included on a Celebration DVD with the footage they shot at C2 and C3 which, to my knowledge, has neer seen the light of day.

Personally I wasn't overjoyed to hear that the Forces would be using it as a recruiting drive, but they didn't approach it that way and the Navy stand drew context with Star Wars.

What I was really happy about was being situated right next to one of the pumps that kept the obstacle course blown up. It was a relief to have some fresh air in there.

My only complaint about the Army is that they didn't make the 501str guys go through the obstacle course. That would have been hilarious!

Jeremy

Lee_Gray
07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
More to the point I wonder what the feedback was to George Lucas and what he thought

would be great if there was another CE and he actually made an appearence as to me that would make the event even extra special

BradG
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I am now going through the 639 pictures I took at CE as well as the star wars show at the county hall. I will be posting the pictures I took on my web site very soon. I even got an obscene photo. thanks to the actress who played sly more (cant think of her name at the moment) and tim dry. Did anyone else get an obscene photo. of one of the star wars actors at CE???? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brad

silmarien
07-19-2007, 11:30 AM
This was my first convention so I really didn't have a term of comparison... having said that, I had a great time and I really hope we'll have another convention in Europe in a couple of years.

The Best:

- Meeting fans from all around the world! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- The One Man Star Wars Show: I'm sorry I left this for Sunday, if I had gone to see it before, I would have gone again the next day! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was the funniest thing I saw in a long, long time and a perfect entertainment for fans, with all the in-jokes. ęWhen I left you, I was but the learner... and CanadianĽ! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- The 501st parade: if they had put the Emperor in it, it would have been just like the parade scene on ROTJ!

- The Mustafar Duel reenactment: one word... wow! The guys even looked a bit like Anakin and Obi-Wan...

The worst:

- I was a little disappointed with the organization of the Collector's Panels. On the first day, no one explained that you had to sit through three half an hour panels to get a medallion, so I got up and left at the end of two.

- While I realize this is a measure of CE's success, the crowds on Saturday and Sunday were just maddening. Maybe next time they get a bigger venue?

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
The Venue itself is plenty big enough - there are halls that run further down and all along the opposite side. I believe it is a great venue - it just needs to expand into more of those halls.

Obi

SteveSith
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I am now going through the 639 pictures I took at CE as well as the star wars show at the county hall. I will be posting the pictures I took on my web site very soon. I even got an obscene photo. thanks to the actress who played sly more (cant think of her name at the moment) and tim dry. Did anyone else get an obscene photo. of one of the star wars actors at CE???? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brad

What do you mean by obscene? Im intreagued

JediBigBad
07-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Maybe next time they get a bigger venue?

I can see it now....."Hell yeh, lets get a bigger venue! It'll hold MORE people!"

Beth6
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
So here are some thoughts from a 'minor' signing guest's point of view.
The contract for CE was signed at C4 in LA. Barry was there, but did not bother to introduce himself or similar. Actually we never spoke to him (he doesn't answer emails either).
Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves, which apparently was approved of by the management, but turned out not to be.
The contract stated clearly that guests would be paid on the Sunday (last convention day) before departure.
This was done for the big guests instantly...everybody else is still waiting!
Barry is now on holiday for a few weeks and Cards Inc. promises the 'check will come tomorrow'.
As far as we are concerned, this is beyond rudeness. We turn up on time, keep the contract conditions etc. and then have to wait weeks for the money we earned? Oh I forgot our name is neither Mark Hamil nor Ray Park...that's probably why! (Note: I have nothing against either of them!!)

Sorry to sound sarcastic but it is more than a joke now.
Spending all day on the phone to get some sense out of somebody from Cards Inc. when it is clearly their job to make sure everybody gets paid.

Not impressed!
Oh and before everybody starts on about Derek Maki...it's not his fault, he's ringing Cards Inc. on a daily basis as well!

SirTristram
08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
So, you guys did NOT get to set your prices?
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better.
I'm sorry they are giving your guys (Sans Mark and Ray) he run-around. I hope it doesn't impact too greatly whether or not you will do more conventions. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sarahjedi0
08-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Looks like theyre a bit late! Whats the estimated time we can expect the explanations please?

Jeremy
08-03-2007, 12:42 PM

According to Beth6:

Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves,

[/QUOTE]

Unless I am reading this wrong they did get to set the prices.

Jeremy

SirTristram
08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

According to Beth6:

Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves,

Unless I am reading this wrong they did get to set the prices.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

The rest of the line read as follows: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves, which apparently was approved of by the management, but turned out not to be.

[/QUOTE]

This sounded like they had to change what they set as dictated by the management. Or they were simply chided for doing it themselves. Either way, there seemed to be quite a discconnect with the guests....not least of which was with the artists. They were particularly upset.

SteveSith
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Just sounds like there was no communication between the management and workforce, which kind of explains why the staff didnt seem to know what was happening.

LITTLEOBIWAN
08-05-2007, 09:32 AM
If its true, thats terrible.......
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Stu_H
08-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Shocking!! Get this sorted ASAP!!

Jose_Fiuza
08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Shocking!! Get this sorted ASAP!!

It's a wee-bit late for that, don't you think? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SteveSith
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM

Looks like theyre a bit late! Whats the estimated time we can expect the explanations please?

I highly doubt there was any intention to provide an explanation, which pretty much sums up the whole mess.

Beth6
08-13-2007, 06:48 AM
To clear some confusion, I guess I ddin't explain it properly.....
The prices were set for us by the organisers, we asked to lower them as we thought it was too much and a rip off for the fans. We were told that's no problem, but on the day our old high prices were back on display, so we simply changed them. Apparently the management didn't like this...

We did get paid in the end, but that was us ringing up Cards Inc. every day.
There are still some guests waiting for their money.

And not once a word from Barry!! Nothing! Not before the event, not during, not after. Guess he's still on holiday http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif