PDA

View Full Version : DVD question...

doktornowhere
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I have heard that Sony now has the rights to the original TV series. Is this true? Is there a date set for re-release of the seasons? Thanks

ThorOakenfelder
07-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I have heard that Sony now has the rights to the original TV series. Is this true? Is there a date set for re-release of the seasons? Thanks

From what I understand, those rights have lapsed as well.

notanerd
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
If so, do you think Rhino would be interested in picking the rights back up? I am kind of hoping for a re-release of the series at a lower price, but considering the movie out this year, any release would most likely be sky high, pricewise.

MegaPrime33
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah Sony opted to not re-release the original series on DVD. I have no idea why. Right now the only ones are the Rhino ones that were previously released.

NickRyder
07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Which honestly makes no sense whatsoever. I mean why make a movie and not release the source on dvd? Look at when Spider-Man, Daredevil, X-Men and Fantastic Four came out they released small sets of selected cartoons. Why not release even a "best of" collection on DVD? I'd like to see the whole series, but honestly even 5 or 6 episodes on a DVD with maybe the trailers or something would be cool

boff123
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
they advertised the rerelease on the 20th edition of the cartoon movie dvd but i guess they decided against it. i found a complete g1 set from a guy on amazon. it came out to 81 shipped. it is a chinese boxset with a nice metal case, a keychain, postcards and 15 dvds. it is the full run of gen 1 episodes plus the movie. i heard the video and audio very pretty good (i havn't watched them yet), you just have to set the audio to english as the default is chinese. this is an official chinese release, not a bootleg.

i also remember seeing a larger boxset for 130-150, it comes in a nice wooden box with the autbot logo, the same dvds and extra plus a figure.

Kuali
07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
they advertised the rerelease on the 20th edition of the cartoon movie dvd but i guess they decided against it. i found a complete g1 set from a guy on amazon. it came out to 81 shipped. it is a chinese boxset with a nice metal case, a keychain, postcards and 15 dvds. it is the full run of gen 1 episodes plus the movie. i heard the video and audio very pretty good (i havn't watched them yet), you just have to set the audio to english as the default is chinese. this is an official chinese release, not a bootleg.

i also remember seeing a larger boxset for 130-150, it comes in a nice wooden box with the autbot logo, the same dvds and extra plus a figure.

I bought this same set. It is great. It came in a nice tin box with a bunch of little knick knacks. The vidoe and sound quality are great as well. It was well worth the $75? I forget. All I know is I watch it ever night.

boff123
07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
i just started watching them today, the quality is quite good. i used the 360 to play and it played in english language. i am happy i bought this set.

MegaPrime33
07-15-2007, 07:15 PM
The asian box set i heard was pretty good, but the rhino release from a few years is by far the best out there. They dont make it anymore, but ebay will undoubtedly have it.

boff123
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
true but it going for insane prices. the asian boxset is not bad at all. you get to see that the original show had a ton of paint errors and voiceover screw ups. various times starscream is painted like thundercracker or skywarp, thundercracker sounds like soundwave etc.

MegaPrime33
07-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Rhino has those same mistakes, along with sound effects mistakes as well. I still say so far its the best sets out there, and worth every penny, even if you have to overpay.

Shock_Fett
07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I am also looking into buying the G1 DVD's.

What makes the Rhino edition so much better then the asian one? Just curious becuase you are talking about 300-400 dollar different in price.

For me to spend the difference, it would have to be a HUGE difference.

Can you please inform me of the justification of the cost?

Thanks

MegaPrime33
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
There are some pretty decent extras on them, there are no subtitles like the asian version, some cool easter eggs, I believe they have some old toy commercials too. I personally haven't seen the Asian set, but have heard from some who have who had the rhino version and said rhino was better.

Shock_Fett
07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
So it's not in English http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Man now I have to save up for the Rhino verision.

boff123
07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
not true, you can add the subtitles if you want them, otherwise the default on the xbox 360 was english with no subtitles.

Shock_Fett
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
not true, you can add the subtitles if you want them, otherwise the default on the xbox 360 was english with no subtitles.

YES!!!!!!! Im just going to get the cheaper one then for 100 bucks.

I am not paying 500 for the Rhino set.

Thanks

MegaPrime33
07-16-2007, 04:21 PM
You know you can get the rhino sets individually from season to season a lot cheaper than if you buy them all in a set. I saw a few auctions just now and one was like 60 for one season. I still think its the best way to go.

Shock_Fett
07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
hmmmm, never thought of that http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Guess my impatience always gets to me first.

Ackbars_No1_Fan
07-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Answer's simple - get the fantastic UK Region 2 versions from Metrodome. Good price, okay-ish extras, and all the episodes! Plus, they've gone the extra mile and also released boxed sets of the Japanese Headmasters and Masterforce series.

It's rare, but sometimes we Brits get something better than our American cousins!!

RDM
07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok...I just bit the bullet and purchased the Chinese set from Amazon!!!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait to sit and watch these with my son.

Shock_Fett
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Let me know how you like it.

Also which set did you get the Tin Collection Set?

RDM
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Let me know how you like it.

Also which set did you get the Tin Collection Set?

Will do.

Here's a link to where I bought it:

Amazon Transformers DVD Set (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000BP80ZQ/ref=dp_olp_2/102-2109486-4764121?ie=UTF8&qid=1184782700&sr=8-1)

I purchased from the first guy on the list (It seems both he and the seller below him have raised their price $8 since I bought this an hour ago... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

boff123
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
yes that is the same set i have. the keychain is cheap, the tin and cards are nice as well as the comic style packaging. the discs and in bags inside the comic pages.

the 1st disc is cut material but the quality is kinda crappy. the 2nd disc is the real beginning of the series.

i found it funny that when the decepticons wake up first, they reassemble the other decepitcons but just leave the autobots there. they could have destroyed them right there, but of course there would be no series then.

RDM
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Looks like the sellers on Amazon are starting to realize what they have...the price on this set has increased again to $96.53. It's also currently ranked at #34 for Amazon DVD sales. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JediMaster82
07-21-2007, 11:37 PM
I bought the chinese boxset for $58 shipped on ebay about 2 weeks ago. It just shipped out last week so I should have it sometime this week or early next week!

No way I was about to spend between $400-$500 on the Rhino set.

boff123
07-22-2007, 10:08 AM
the end of season 1 is great, it has the insecticons, constructicons vs the dinobots and a dual between megatron & optimus. really enjoying the sets, i did notice that a couple of episodes are out of order but does it really matter cause they are still all there.

Shock_Fett
07-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Does anyone here truly know if the Rhino set is better then the Asian one in quality and sound?

I want the best one and really need an answer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-25-DVD-WOOD-BOX-SET-COLLECTION-SEASON-G1_W0QQitemZ150144035035QQihZ005QQcategoryZ617QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

How about the one linked?

SSIntimidator
07-23-2007, 07:23 AM
So the Chinese set, when you set the audio to English is it Cullen, Welker and all the rest of the original voices?

I have season's 1 and 2 (both parts) on the Rhino DVD and really, that's all I needed when they came out. I couldn't really stand anything after the movie so I never bought them, but this is interesting.

Course it would be my third movie DVD, do I really need that!

JediMaster82
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
So the Chinese set, when you set the audio to English is it Cullen, Welker and all the rest of the original voices?

I have season's 1 and 2 (both parts) on the Rhino DVD and really, that's all I needed when they came out. I couldn't really stand anything after the movie so I never bought them, but this is interesting.

Course it would be my third movie DVD, do I really need that!

I read that it is. Everything is the same as the Rhino. Just the menu and wording (inside of box) is in Chinese but once you switch the audio to English it's just like the Rhino dvds.

SSIntimidator
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Very tempting. No chance I could pull this off right now and have the wife not notice though. I'll have to wait till the buzz dies down a little bit and then search for it.

RDM
07-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I received my set yesterday and have watched 2 episodes with my kids so far. I didn't even have to set the language. The episodes started up in English. The packaging is very cool but I agree with others who would prefer something a little more solid for the discs.

RDM
07-25-2007, 01:53 AM

Yes.

JediMaster82
07-25-2007, 06:43 AM
I just got my box set in yesterday. Watched the first 3 episodes. Awesome!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I started it, the audio was in English already but the Chinese subtitles were up. So I had work on getting that off. It was basicially a random push of a button to fix it. Took about 15 minutes to finally keep it in English and not have the subtitles on. Once I was set to go it was great. All original voices and all. For $58 shipped, I think it's a great deal. Better than paying $350-$500 for the Rhino set.

SSIntimidator
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I just got my box set in yesterday. Watched the first 3 episodes. Awesome!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I started it, the audio was in English already but the Chinese subtitles were up. So I had work on getting that off. It was basicially a random push of a button to fix it. Took about 15 minutes to finally keep it in English and not have the subtitles on. Once I was set to go it was great. All original voices and all. For $58 shipped, I think it's a great deal. Better than paying $350-$500 for the Rhino set.

$58 shipped, where from? I haven't seen it for less than 80.

bikerscout
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
all of those episodes are great - worth the money even if you have to spend 60 -$80, $100. Just finished watching "The Ultimate Weapon" a few days ago, they just don't make cartoons now like they used to. Longing for the past.

LandoGriffin
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I was able to borrow the first season from a fellow scummer. Glad I did - these held up better than I thought they would.

Shock_Fett
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know why the Rhino set has more DVD's then the Asian one?

Is it because it was recorded on a faster speed cause a hit to quality?

JediMaster82
07-25-2007, 08:56 PM

$58 shipped, where from? I haven't seen it for less than 80.

It was on ebay. The seller had about 10 listings with about 20 available in each auction. 2 days after I bought mine, I received an email talking about a delay and then he ended all of his listings. A week later he said it was shipped and I have not seen anymore listings from him http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GI_Joe
09-13-2007, 05:18 PM
i got the chinese set, and so far i love it! it took a couple trys to figure out how to get it in english. the only problem i have is that it was advertised as 15 disks, but the book only has 14 in it. am i missing a disk or was the ad a typo?

Cosmic_Cow
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I have Rhino S1 and part 1 of S2 as well as the Heroes disc that's supposedly S4 and that's fine with me. While i'd love to finish the series, i'm not about to shell out more $$ unless they re-release these...

MegaPrime33
09-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I have all 4 seasons of G1 from Rhino. I really can't see it getting any better than that.

Jedi534
12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Anything new on the G1 DVD Re-Release? Is it just not going to happen???