PDA

View Full Version : no excitement for attakus?

ambasah
06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't know if this is old news, but as stated here, the 3 new statues have been confirmed. I'm surprised there is no thread on this? I guess not too many fans of Attakus out there? I personally love them and can't wait for these to be available. I just hope my wallet will be able to handle it!

TimProctor
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
What three pieces were announced?

well im getting my first attakus statue sat or monday. It's currently shipping. Im getting Oola.
I think the problem is that most of their human likenesses are not up to par. Gentle giant captures that better... well except for the ugly-wan statue. However, they do MUCH better with paint application and texture of cloth etc.
Oola's likeness looks pretty good. Id love to have bib, tusken, probe droid and a jawa. Money is another issue. They are so darn expensive.
From what I understand they are top notch when it comes to quality.
Im only getting oola since she is my favorite characte and they did an awesome job.
Do you have oola?

larbob
06-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Really looking forward to Series 5...not interested in another Boba but definitely in for Cody and Biker Scout. Hoping they do Dooku and Snowtrooper at some point.

DarthPotts1975
06-21-2007, 07:35 PM
i have many attakus pieces and love them all. it always seems like attakus gets a raw deal from alot of collectors. i think alot has to do with the price.

people even have the nerve to look at my collection pics below and PM me saying they love my collection except for my attakus statues.

ambasah
06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't have oola but have seen her in person - you will not be disappointed. I can understand people not loving the human characters (which I have no issues with - I seem them as simply artistic impressions of the characters) but with 2 clones and boba I thought there would be much more excitement out there.

Big thumbs up to Attakus - I can't wait for all 3 of these.

MidnightRain
06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I think the price tag is too hefty for most collectors. Gentle Giant and Sideshow are much more accessible, especially for completists. I'm looking to purchase the Padme statue at some point, but that will probably be the extent of my Attakus collection unless I have a major shift in finances. I think the quality of their work is amazing, though.

DARTHPOTTS1975, they're just jealous. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DarthCrack
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
That takes a lot of [censored] to tell someone that they don't like a part of their collection!

AlaskanStar
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I love attakus but the price tag is just too high when there are so many other companies out there vying for my money. I plan on getting the boba and I am also going to try and get the probot and gam guard whenever I can get the funds. I also have the exc. sandtrooper on order.
As far as the biker scout I am going with sideshow's version.

Darth_Scumious
06-21-2007, 11:09 PM
The Cody statue will have to be my first one.

DarthCitrix
06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
With the kind of money they're asking, I'd rather dispose of my income with GG, SS, or MR collectibles.

jalthe1andonly
06-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I have a few Attakus pieces but the cost is what keeps me from buying the majority of the line. I bought Vader 1, Boba Fett, and Darth Maul when they first came out. But the prices have gradually gotten higher and higher. Can't afford to pay $500+ for a statue. Plus the likenesses are not always spot on. The characters with masks or droids look great but the human likenesses are way off. If the prices on Attakus stuff ever came down i would be more interested. Until then GG gets the money.

Mister_Gosh
06-22-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't have any Attakus items yet, but they've been in my "if the right thing came along" category for a long time now. The Oola statue tempts me, and I'm almost certainly in for the Probe Droid.

I've also been keeping my eye on the Falcon Diorama...the right clearance price would get me jumping on that, though I'd have to figure out how to display that monster.

DARTHBORAT
06-22-2007, 01:31 AM
DP, I am psyched about Cody, but not that happy about another Fett.

I am not excited about Speeder Bike because of that kick [censored] SSC PF.

larbob
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I would have been OK with a ROTJ Boba but not another ESB version. They should have done what they did with Vader, one from ANH and then the ROTJ version, ie: different movies.

I don't collect SS PFs as the mixed media doesn't do it for me. Their Biker Scout looks great though and it's huge! I'm thinking the Attakus version should be somewhere around 28" long versus SS's 35"...may be off on that a little.

demorathis
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
They should have done what they did with Vader, one from ANH and then the ROTJ version, ie: different movies.

the first Vader was from Empire http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif...

IrishJedi
06-22-2007, 11:20 AM
With the kind of money they're asking, I'd rather dispose of my income with GG, SS, or MR collectibles.

Agreed. They don't have nearly enough accuracy or quality for the prices they command, imho.

TimProctor
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
yeah but if you want a certain character that will probably not be made by another company attakus is great. They make a lot of pieces that may not be the most popular characters.
OOLA for example. Im not buying her because I want to get into the line. Im buying it because it looks great and I have an OOLA focus/obsession.
However I must say, the tusken, bib and probe droid look sweeeeet!!
All look to be VERY well done.

IrishJedi
06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
yeah but if you want a certain character that will probably not be made by another company attakus is great. They make a lot of pieces that may not be the most popular characters.

Oh, no doubts there. And I DO like that about them.

OOLA for example. Im not buying her because I want to get into the line. Im buying it because it looks great and I have an OOLA focus/obsession.

I know, and I'm genuinely happy for you that you will be able to add that piece to your collection and complete your Oola Shrine. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DarthPotts1975
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
everybody always brings up how expensive they are. i'll be the first to admit MSRP is too much. i have bought all of mine through ebay. you can find some really great deals. other than my jabba/pipe and vader 2 i paid around $200 for the others.

AlaskanStar
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I think that the price point on their speederbike is going to be close to the sideshow version, and after seeing the SS one it would be hard to top that thing. It is massive!
In the end it just comes down to what medium you prefer, either mixed media or the Attakus. Both are excellent.

riv
06-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Attakus' aliens and helmeted statues are great (Jabba aside, which is horrid). I own the Leia and Padme attakus, but after having them out for a while, I boxed them up. The more I looked at them, the more disappointed I was. And none of their other human statues have been appealing to me (not just because of the likeness thing- but the paint jobs on the skin tones have always been waay too pale and flat).

I'm not particularly sensitive to their pricing, and I agree that Attakus is great in that it's an opportunity to get characters that wouldn't normally be done by other companies.

Which is why I'm really irritated that we're getting another Boba and another (if you count SS and GG) biker scout. Cody is neat, I suppose and will probably be a nice piece.

But what burns me is seeing the scout win out over Aayla by only 1%, when NO one is doing any Aayla stuff.

ump
06-23-2007, 01:18 AM
The quality of Attakus star wars statues are Superb!Please check this link for the new attakus sandtrooper statue,you know waht i means!:)
http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=46098&page=21

TA2215
06-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I love Attakus and I think for the size, great sculpt and paint job they do in every one of their pieces the retail price is not that high. It is also nice to know that the edition size is 1500 and no more, and of course no B&W, special accessories or other nonsense stuff to justify reusing the molds.
I actually sold all my GG bust collection to get all the Attakus pieces that I had in my wish list (no regrets here) and I am now just getting them at e-tailers price when they come out.
The human likeness on Attakus has been discussed many times part of that problem was because impositions of LFL but since I don't own any human statues from them I don't mind this either and I believe is even better that they are representations of the characters not of Mr Hamill, Ford, etc.
I own a couple of pieces from GG and SS and I believe they are great but my favorite SW pieces come from Attakus 100%.

Back into the point of this thread, I believe there is a lot of expectation for Series 5 but the Fan Poll results were not really a surprise (at least for me) I am more interested in seeing what they have in the bag for us!!!

larbob
06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
But what burns me is seeing the scout win out over Aayla by only 1%, when NO one is doing any Aayla stuff.

Stephane from Attakus Team stated that not only the winners of each of the 3 groups would be made, but others that were voted on could be considered as well..so I would expect Aayla, IG88, etc. at some point, due to the popularity in the polls, to be released.

MrPickles
06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
In literally a human "face-to-face" contest, I'd put up GG's Slave Leia statue, Darth Sidious bust, & Darth Vader Reveal Bust sculpts over anything those "Frogs" have made. Sorry..... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TimProctor
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I would have probably said that too until I got the oola statue. It blows away most of what I have seen by gentle giant.
They are better quality than the GG statues. I have owned many gentle giant pieces and have seen some of the pieces you have mentioned and they simply do not compare.
Not that GG is bad, I think they are nice. Just not as nice as attakus.
But then again, attakus has pieces im not fond of. Luke, Obi-wan and a few others...
but they have some incredible pieces, bib, oola, jawa, tusken, probe droid vader etc.
every company has their strenghts and weaknesses. To each his own though.

DarthOdium
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
i have many attakus pieces and love them all. it always seems like attakus gets a raw deal from alot of collectors. i think alot has to do with the price.

people even have the nerve to look at my collection pics below and PM me saying they love my collection except for my attakus statues.

The poor sculpting of human likeness has nothing to do with the price -its about craftsman ship. But since you mention price, the customer expectation on craftsman ship SHOULD be higher because of the price point. If you contest this, then you are just disagreeing because you are sensitive to your collection rather than looking at this objectionably.

Attakus does make some fantastic pieces (I collect a select few myself), but their human likeness just utterly blows. The Oola is the closest thing I have seen to being accurate though.

You shouldnt get all defensive if someone says they dont like your Attaus statues. If you like them, than that is all that should matter to you. If you are posting pics of your collection online for everyone to see, you should not get hurt or offended if you get negative commnents, as well as the positive..

larbob
06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Here's the army we all need! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.attakus.fr/blog/index.php/2007/06/28/110-france-3-chez-attakus

ump
06-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Here's the army we all need! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.attakus.fr/blog/index.php/2007/06/28/110-france-3-chez-attakus

Woow!Beautiful statues!Thanks for your sharing!!:)

DarthPotts1975
07-01-2007, 10:56 PM

The poor sculpting of human likeness has nothing to do with the price -its about craftsman ship. But since you mention price, the customer expectation on craftsman ship SHOULD be higher because of the price point. If you contest this, then you are just disagreeing because you are sensitive to your collection rather than looking at this objectionably.

Attakus does make some fantastic pieces (I collect a select few myself), but their human likeness just utterly blows. The Oola is the closest thing I have seen to being accurate though.

You shouldnt get all defensive if someone says they dont like your Attaus statues. If you like them, than that is all that should matter to you. If you are posting pics of your collection online for everyone to see, you should not get hurt or offended if you get negative commnents, as well as the positive..

the only point i was trying to make was that i thought it was rude that i get PM's from people telling me that attakus sucks. i would never view sombodys collection photos and then PM them saying i thought somthing sucked. i dont think expecting people to use common courtesy is being defensive.

ump
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I have many Attakus Star wars statues,Mostly OF non human are look Great and perfect!very details and perfect scupt!!some human likeness is not so good,BUT not for all human charaters.for example: Padme,han solo and luke jedi look very very Nice! i think most collectors are NEVER see Attakus statues in person,they are Only see it from pictures,BUT,I MUST SAY THIS: PICTURES ARE NEVER DO JUSTICS ON ATTAKUS STATUES.HOPE ATTAKUS WILL SHOW THEIR STATUES IN TOYS SHOW THAT PEOPLES CAN SEE IT IN PERSON. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DarthInwah
07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I have many Attakus Star wars statues,Mostly OF non human are look Great and perfect!very details and perfect scupt!!some human likeness is not so good,BUT not for all human charaters.for example: Padme,han solo and luke jedi look very very Nice! i think most collectors are NEVER see Attakus statues in person,they are Only see it from pictures,BUT,I MUST SAY THIS: PICTURES ARE NEVER DO JUSTICS ON ATTAKUS STATUES.HOPE ATTAKUS WILL SHOW THEIR STATUES IN TOYS SHOW THAT PEOPLES CAN SEE IT IN PERSON. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the Attakus Emperor which is an incredibly underrated statue. It comes with his throne which no one else to date has made except for Lego.

As with all things, some are better than others and this is also true with GG and SS. Buy what you like I say but don't rain on someone elses parade if you don't like 'em....

TimProctor
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean. Its weird how pics can look funny but the actual statue looks great. Even when I take pics of my Oola statue, it still doesnt look as good as it does in person.
Knowing this, I think Id still be tempted to get other human statue in the future. Plus, who cares if the likeness is spot on. I think all of their other things - detail, sculpting, paint etc really outweigh the likeness factor.
I see many art prints and think.. hmmmm doesnt look like luke or doesnt look like leia. To some it doesnt matter. In the end, you know who the character is suppose to be.
I like the slave leia the more I see it. It's just that artits' rendition of her. look at the sideshow leia, that not exactly that great in my opinion but its all up to what the buyer likes.
The only two faces im not to fond of so far are luke, padme and especially obi-wan. However, im sure they look much better in person as Oola does.
just my two cents.

as for taking the time to tell someone that part of their collection sucks?.. well thats just rude.

If you don't like that part of someones collection, either make no comment about them or at least say something like. "Great collection. Im not that fond of attakus but your collection looks good."
It's just as easy to say something nice as it is to say something rude.
People need to keep that in mind.

ump
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I have the Attakus Emperor which is an incredibly underrated statue. It comes with his throne which no one else to date has made except for Lego.

As with all things, some are better than others and this is also true with GG and SS. Buy what you like I say but don't rain on someone elses parade if you don't like 'em....

[/QUOTE]
Yes,Yes,Emperor is a wonderful statue!specially come with 2 royal guard beside with him!!Nearly all Attakus Star Wars statues are look perfect,Hope people can have a chance to see it in person:)

Medusa
07-03-2007, 01:32 AM
I have every Attakus statue so far and I did see Gentle Giant in person as well ... Gentle Giant just looks and feels cheaper - thats a fact ! They may have a better head sculpt from time to time but thats mostly on their NEW busts. When you hold an Attakus in your hands you recognize the craftsmanship and it does not even have the slightest feeling of being a mass product. They always come with the same edition size and they do an awesome job. It's easy to bash a line which I never seen in real ...

TimProctor
07-03-2007, 05:07 AM
I agree. There is something about them that you have to see in person to completely appreciated. They are much heavier. The paint (skin tones) are so smooth and clean. No paint runs etc. It's as if every piece was painted to perfection. As if each piece were treated as if it was for the prototype.

justabigkid
07-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I just picked up the Tusken Raider from Attackus and I was blown away by it. By far the favorite piece in my collection now. I picked it up for less than $150 shipped.

ump
07-04-2007, 02:04 AM
I just picked up the Tusken Raider from Attackus and I was blown away by it. By far the favorite piece in my collection now. I picked it up for less than $150 shipped.

Yes,Tusken Raider Look very very good,perfect scuplt ,great pose too!Hope you will get the Gam Guard soon,I'm sure that you will say "WOOOOW,PERFECT!!!" and you will love it Soooooo much!!

TimProctor
07-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Im really starting to like these attakus statues.
The likeness of the human characters is starting to bother me less and less.
However there are just 3 or 4 Id like to have right now.

TA2215
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM

AWESOME price for a great statue congratulations!!!!!