PDA

View Full Version : Scummers trip to the SW Exhibition? Who's in?

Abstractharmony
06-21-2007, 05:45 AM
So, I arrive in London on Thursday and thought that I'd take in the SW exhibition at the County Hall in the morning before I can check into my hotel, have some lunch and then hit Forbidden Planet.

I can't see this being as good as the AMAZING Barbican exhibition in 2000 but I think it'll be worth going. Tickets are quite expensive but what the heck...

I'm gonna get there for doors opening at 10am. Anyone care to join me?

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
06-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I've already seen it, and I thought in some ways it was far better than the Barbican. The only thing that lets it down is that it is very dark inside and there isn't much in the way of merchandising related to the exhibit. A nice programme wouldn't have gone amiss.

Abstractharmony
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks.

Is there any Anakin costumes on display?

06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes. Anakin's costume from ROTS is on show.

redxavier
06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
The problem with the exhibition is not that it's expensive, but that it's poorly laid out. There isn't any kind of journey to undertake (my preference would have been to move the exhibition in episodic order) - each area either has a random assortment of things in it, or concerns a particular location or planet, but there's no order or logic to their appearance. There's also not much write up about the items you're looking at. I mean, we all know that it's a Jabba concept maquette, but some details wouldn't go amiss.

Also, some rooms are really sparsely filmed, with literally only one costume in a big glass box.

The Jedi School is quite fun though, and is a good high note to end with.

Jeremy
06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
The problem with the exhibition is not that it's expensive, but that it's poorly laid out.

Correction, the problem with the Exhiition is that it is expensive and it's poorly laid out.

You don't think 16.50 for an hours stroll is s rip off? It doesn't even get you a goody bag or programme like the Barbican one did.

Jeremy

SirTristram
06-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Whoa! I didn't know it was that much...Maybe I won't even bother...I'm already going to see two shows, a film, a jaunt to FP for some GG stuff and that all does't even include flight/travel time and CE itself!!!
I was planning on hitting the Exhibition the morning before I leave, but maybe I'll just sleep in!

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
06-22-2007, 03:11 AM
I think it is what you make of it. Personally I really enjoyed it after the very few items that were on display at CIV's Archive room (even fewer at CE so I understand - the archives here will probably be housed in a broom closet), there was some great stuff from across the saga and things that I have never seen at some other Star Wars exhibits I have been to.

It was great to see the Klaatu, Barada & Nikto heads, Zam Wessell's full size speeder, Anakins full size podracer, Sebulba's Podracer, Blue Royal Guard outfit and the many other items on display.

Jeremy
06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it is what you make of it. Personally I really enjoyed it after the very few items that were on display at CIV's Archive room

That is a very good point. If you haven't seen one of LFLs proper archive exhibits then there is nothing wrong with what they have brought over. The venue leaves a lot to be desired if you want to take photos though.

Jeremy

Cperry06
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Jeremy, will they not let you take photos?? Also, should I purchase tickets ahead of time or am I safe buying them that day? (I was thinking of going on July 12th.)

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Jeremy, will they not let you take photos?? Also, should I purchase tickets ahead of time or am I safe buying them that day? (I was thinking of going on July 12th.)

I can answer this if you like. The Exhibition has no problem with people taking photos, and video I took both.

You can also pretty much buy tickets on the day at the booth outside by the London Eye. Obviously with the CE in town at the same time you cannot guarantee how busy it's going to be.

Cperry06
06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
I purchased two tickets today, just in case. Thanks for the info.

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
06-30-2007, 03:19 AM
The one thing I will say regarding photos is maken sure you have a strong flash. Some of the rooms are VERY dark. I gave up trying to photograph the Death Star Droid for example.