PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question re Head Swaps

DarthJace
05-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I've been tiptoeing into head swaps because a) I hate the heads on the new Luke Ceremony and Death Star Trooper and b) I don't want all my DSTs to look the same.

For the DSTs, I've found that Cass and Tagge from the Briefing set work great -- with the helmets on they're different faces but not obviously Cass and Tagge. (I got another Briefing set for replacement legs for the DSTs.) But the Cass and Tagge heads sit too low on the peg, and it's hard to get them to stay. Same problem with VOTC Luke X-Wing head on Luke Ceremony peg.

So: What's the best substance to stick inside the head to make it sit higher and last a bit? Something as simple as wadded-up paper, or should I think differently?

Many thanks -- it's a pleasure to lurk in this forum and see what y'all come up with daily.

Jeditaz
05-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Probably not the only solution out there, but its usually easier to swap the neck pegs...so you will have to do some cutting and glueing. Just cut the neck peg off the figure you are using the head from, and cut the neck post off of the figure you are putting the head onto. You may want to drill a really tiny hole into the parts to be joined, and glue a piece of paper clip or something in to strengthen the post. Now...looking at the Ceremonial Luke neck peg and the X wing Luke Neck peg...you will have an issue. There is not really much of X wing lukes neck showing, where Ceremonial Luke has a v neck shirt on....so you will have to do some matching up etc. But that is the only way I have found to solve the ball jointed head problem. Hope that helps. If you need me to specify or anything, let me know.

Kozy
05-06-2007, 01:50 PM
even a little bit of modeling clay would work - it's not permanent but you should be able to sit the heads at the height you want.

Oddball
05-06-2007, 02:45 PM
I use both crazy glue and sculpty to fill in holes. Then I redrill them to the correct size. The clay is easier. Fill in the hole, cook it up, then redrill. 15 minutes to 30 minutes tops.

Jedi_Master_Ben
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
DO NOT BAKE PLASTIC!!!!! YOU WILL RELEASE HARMFUL CHEMICALS INTO THE AIR AND RUIN YOUR OVEN SO YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COOK FOOD IN!!!

With that said, the best thing you could do is get your self Fixit-Sculpt. The stuff is a NON-HAZORDOUS epoxy that mixes 1:1 of a part A and part B putties. There is a 3 hour work time, but for what you are doing, just fill the head with some Fixit (make sure you have water for your tools, its covered in the instructions)) and pop the head back on the neck post that has been dipped in water. If the head is still low, put some more Fixit until you reach the desired hight for the head.

Good luck and show us some pics when you are done.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Obi_Wannabe
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Probably not the only solution out there, but its usually easier to swap the neck pegs...so you will have to do some cutting and glueing. Just cut the neck peg off the figure you are using the head from, and cut the neck post off of the figure you are putting the head onto. You may want to drill a really tiny hole into the parts to be joined, and glue a piece of paper clip or something in to strengthen the post. Now...looking at the Ceremonial Luke neck peg and the X wing Luke Neck peg...you will have an issue. There is not really much of X wing lukes neck showing, where Ceremonial Luke has a v neck shirt on....so you will have to do some matching up etc. But that is the only way I have found to solve the ball jointed head problem. Hope that helps. If you need me to specify or anything, let me know.

I agree with Jeditaz that swapping the neck-posts is easiest. I use a similar method and reenforce the neck-post with a small piece of wood. Use a tooth pick or the smallest dowling in the craft dept of Walmart. Bamboo, such as in bamboo skewers, is a lot tougher that dowling or tooth picks. Another hint: drill the hole firts. You can mess up the neck post by trying to drill it after you cut it off the body.