PDA

View Full Version : Carded figure storage containers??? Please help!

JTKenobi
04-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
I am a loose and carded figure collector. My question is regarding what people have used for storing carded figs. I am thinking about getting several of the Sterlite plastic containers to store my carded figs that aren't currently being displayed (I like to rotate) but I am not sure what size would be ideal or if there may be some better choice. Also, since the figs won't be able to 'breathe', will this be a problem? Again, any input from experience will be helpful to me (and my wife who is trying to get things tidied up).

Thanks in advance!
JT http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

echoplex
04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I use the the boxes the figures are shipped in if they don't have a star case on them. If they are protected then I'll put them in bigger cardboard boxes without the fear that they may get tossed around a little. The bubbles on the card make it very hard to store since figures come in different sizes. I'm not a fan of sterilite case because they don't allow enough air for them to breathe which will speed up the deteriation process. Just get a bunch of boxes.

JTKenobi
05-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I figured that Sterilites may not be that good. I will have to look for a good alternative that stacks well and doesn't have the 'I'm moving' look that cardboard boxes have. If I can find something that looks decent the wife won't give me a hard time.

Joeysdadjoe
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I know this is an old thread but here goes.I put the figure in a Star Case and put them in long comic book boxes.Those seem to work well.Theyre not cheap but if you buy a few you can get the cost per piece down.

Washu
01-17-2008, 05:45 AM
I use Sterlite See Through Tubs. You can still poke holes in them. The biggest issue with cardboard boxes is the "Where did I put that?" game. I have seen many collectors go nuts tossing boxes and wasting time looking for that one piece. See Through tubs allow you to look and go... Ah Ha.

bruce1179
01-18-2008, 08:08 PM
cardboard boxes have acid in them, so they are not the best solution for storing figures as that acid will leach out over time and start to destroy the cards. i personally keep my figures that are valuble to me in star cases and in comic boxes. they take up more room but look good. and sterlite boxes are not airproof so you don't have to worry about your figures being able to breath. i have my normal carded figs in plastic boxes from the container store. they fit perfect in them. and there is plenty of air movement around the lid to ward off any problems. if you have bubbles touching be sure to put some of that felt padding you can find with the moving supplies. the bubble scratches easily.

AFAFORCEMASTER
01-19-2008, 11:43 PM
i STORE MY NON GRADED FIGS IN STERILITE TUBS IT WORK FINE 2 THINGS I RECOMEND STARCASES @ SICA SALT (the little bags you find in new tennisho boxes) it helps keep moisture out!there are also oxygen removers like what you find in beef jerky pouches if its long term storage!may the force be with you

AFAFORCEMASTER
01-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I believe oxygen is what speeds up yellowing and deteir ?