PDA

View Full Version : Casting balljoints?

jokabofe
04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Anybody ever attempt - either successfully or otherwise - to cast a complete ball joint for a shoulder, elbow, or knee? I've been thinking about how to go about doing this, but I'm stumped. I think that if I cut the joint into two pieces - one having the middle piece, and the other being a "U" shape - I should be able to cast them separately. But then my problem is how to re-join them and make a functioning joint? I thought about drilling a tiny hole straight through and inserting either a) a small piece of a paper clip or b) a small piece of round plastic, like a lightsaber. I don't think I have anything that will produce a hole small enough for the paper clip, and I'm not sure I like the lightsaber idea. I have some thin plastic rods by plastruct that are about the same thickness but I'm not sure they will work.

Anybody do this yet? Or have any ideas/suggestions?

Straxus
04-14-2007, 12:00 AM
I have successfully done this however it is tricky. I will try to get arround to making a tutorial on this. I will be making some more within the next week. I will try to take pics.

spitty
04-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Jokabofe,

I've been thinking about this same question for weeks. wanted to know if there was a website that just sold ball-joint elbow and knees. Thought I remember reading some where that a japanese company did this, but cant find the post.

anyone have any idea where to purchase ball joint knees and elbows?

thanks

Bekker
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
They can be cast and its not that hard,its just a tad tricky,the best way i think is to cast in a hard plastic like smooth on 220,when you use that,the parts can be cut and heated to put back togather no problem,and no glue needed.