PDA

View Full Version : What's the best modern 6-pack?

ttubach
03-30-2007, 12:44 AM
I vote for New Castle, but since this is a Gi Joe thread, I'll digress.

I've got to go with the Cobra Night Watch! I love that their heads turn 90 each way and they look so old school I just can't get enough of them!

A close runner up would be the Pit Vipers. Great idea but they weapons were really bad and I had to shave their crotches (I know, that sounds bad) to make them poseable.

The crimson guards and shadow guards were the best idea, but suck when you actually handle them. Their right arms are stiff and the biceps are so big they can't hold them straight down their sides. Also, the heads don't move and the helemts are way too bulky.

Whatcha think? (I don't have any of the others yet)

Flashback
03-30-2007, 07:57 AM
None of them turned out especially well IMO, but there were a few gems to be found in each set.

Cobra Infantry probably has the most flawless figures, but the guns were too big.

The Crimson Shadows were a much better CG repaint than the awful Python one from the 80s, but their weapons stunk.

The Urban Strike was very nice IMO, the only bad figure there was Storm Shadow.

2002's Python Patrol was well thought out and had some great rare molds.

Anti-Venom had a lot of interesting choices made too.

Viper Pit is marred by the ill-fitting crotches and droopy heds.

Night Watch would have been fantastic but is marred by the balloon-heads, tiny waistpiece, and skinny arms.

Ninja Strike was nice if you wanted the international red & black Storm Shadow repaints, but was otherwise way too bland.

Winter Ops was great for variety, even if the figures barely looked wintery.

Imp. Procession was poorly done, and the nice Cobra flags were not worth it.

Id say my favorite was either the Urban Strike or the Cobra Infantry. Sorry for the long post!

Darth_Soundwave
03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
The Cobra Infantry is the Best one.

http://www.ezy.net/~avenger/GIJoe/CobraInfantry/CobraInfantry03.JPG

ttubach
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Dang! I can't argue with that!

NeoMikomi
03-30-2007, 03:49 PM
That's over $800 worth of troops?

ThorOakenfelder
03-30-2007, 05:23 PM
I like the night force pack. of course, like all of them, there are a couple problems.

1. It's called nightfoce, and everyone's color scheme rehlect that except Action Man with his bright orange vest.
2. almost no concern for the mold properties when applying the checkerboard shirts. Guys with open necks are given a checkerboard tattoo, and suddenly Roadblock has a long sleeve shirt, even though his mold shows the open neck tanktop.

I still think that Flint, Tunnelrat, Beachhead, and Downtown/Short Fuze are great figs in this set.

Tusken_Raiders
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Viper 6 pack was my favorite...too bad it came out after I stop buying them...Well I did pick up 4sets..
Cobra Infantry pack...
Cobra Night Watch
Crimson Guard w/tomax or Xamot and Firefly
Crimson Guard Elite (or Ninja), except the concept of being Ninjas...

I wish they had came out with a Night Viper 6 pack..

Flashback
04-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Seconded. I wanted them in grey, and a Cobra Artic Pack with 4 Snow Serpents and 2 Ice Vipers. Ah well.

ttubach
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Seconded. I wanted them in grey, and a Cobra Artic Pack with 4 Snow Serpents and 2 Ice Vipers. Ah well.

Well thats what I wanted too, the Cobra Arctic pack that is. Have you seen the new M.O.T.H. set w/ the snow serpent and ice viper? A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

Flashback
04-04-2007, 07:40 AM

Well thats what I wanted too, the Cobra Arctic pack that is. Have you seen the new M.O.T.H. set w/ the snow serpent and ice viper? A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

I sure did. And yes they kick *****. I'm getting it, but at $25 for 2 figures, those are the only ones I'll get!

Stuja
04-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I have to go with the clown 6-pack, maybe the midget one.

dArK
04-05-2007, 07:02 AM
cobra infantry hands down

Stuja
04-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Today at TRU, I got the pit viper set, I LOVE these figures! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif I actually like the weapons they came with, great set.( Going next week to get two more)

Deak_Starkiller
04-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Cobra Viper set, followed by the B.A.T. set.

Darth_Soundwave
04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
The only thing wrong with the Vipe pit 6 pack , is that their legs are stuborm..... their thighs won't stay straight.....it makes them difficult to stand...even on a stand.

Stuja
04-15-2007, 12:46 PM
The only thing wrong with the Vipe pit 6 pack , is that their legs are stuborm..... their thighs won't stay straight.....it makes them difficult to stand...even on a stand.

Yeah they keep falling backwards.

Deak_Starkiller
04-16-2007, 01:05 AM
I had the same problem with the original 1986 Viper...I had to dab superglue on the joints to stiffen them up a bit. The backpack attached does make them backwards heavy a bit unless you balance it out with the arms holding the rifle.

ttubach
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Common problem. Someone from RS suggected that I file down the inside of the crotch. I did and now they are very managable!
"How to file down crotches of Pit Viper" (http://www.joecustoms.com/board/showthread.php?tid=41012&page=2)

Or PM me

ttubach
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Speaking of modern 6-packs, if anyone is interested in crimson guards or shadow guards check out the link in my sig... Yo JOE!

Stuja
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I wish they would make a 6-pack with the 25th Anniversary cobra figures.

Oh how great that would be! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif