PDA

View Full Version : Quality of modern Gi Jloe figures...

ttubach
03-15-2007, 08:29 PM
So I set out the otherr day to buy some Pit Vipers from TRU. I brought them home, opened the packages and was shocked at the lack of quality. Granted, these are the first figures I've bough in over a decade, but I would have assumed there would be imrovements.
The weapons in paticular were really bad. The figures could not hold their rifles or move their heards to the side. Is this unique to vipers or are all modern figures made the poorly?
I was really disappointed.... Anyone else have this problem?

BingoBrown
03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Poor guy. Yeah, you're right to an extent, you just need to be informed of how to correct the problem, then you've got the greatest army building troops Hasbro has ever produced.

First, go here: http://www.marauderinc.com/servlet/Detail?no=125

If you haven't heard of him, Marauder John has been making quality 1:18 scale weapons for a while now. The Joe community loves his work, and the specific set I directed you to is precisely made for use with the Viper Pit. Well worth the cost.

Second, go here: http://www.joecustoms.com/board/showthread.php?tid=41012&page=2

There was a good discussion about the tight leg issues with the Viper Pit. Someone found out that the crotch needed to be filed down, or the crotch would eventually break. It's also suggested to replace the O-rings in the figures as well, as they shipped with really tight ones. Yes, this is all a big pain in the butt to do, but it makes a HUGE difference with the figures. I've done it to four sets, and now I have a beautiful army of 24 Vipers at a tiny fraction of the cost to buy vintage Vipers.

DarkArtist
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I like the designs for the 25th Anniversary figures but I am sad that they were scaled up to be 4 inches. Would have loved to see the same attention to detail done on the 3 3/4 scale. Still we get some of them but will be upset that I can't have them fight alongside with my Star Wars Guys.

BingoBrown
03-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I like the designs for the 25th Anniversary figures but I am sad that they were scaled up to be 4 inches.

I'm not sure that is accurate. I think a few figures (i.e. Roadblock, etc.) are taller than the others, but most are at the 3.75" inch height. There was some initial speculation that all were 4" tall, but I'm pretty sure that rumor was dispelled a while ago.

efranks
03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Everything I've read so far, inlcuding the newest newsletter from the GI Joe club, is still calling them 3.75" figures.

E...

ttubach
03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Poor guy. Yeah, you're right to an extent, you just need to be informed of how to correct the problem, then you've got the greatest army building troops Hasbro has ever produced.

First, go here: http://www.marauderinc.com/servlet/Detail?no=125

If you haven't heard of him, Marauder John has been making quality 1:18 scale weapons for a while now. The Joe community loves his work, and the specific set I directed you to is precisely made for use with the Viper Pit. Well worth the cost.

Second, go here: http://www.joecustoms.com/board/showthread.php?tid=41012&page=2

There was a good discussion about the tight leg issues with the Viper Pit. Someone found out that the crotch needed to be filed down, or the crotch would eventually break. It's also suggested to replace the O-rings in the figures as well, as they shipped with really tight ones. Yes, this is all a big pain in the butt to do, but it makes a HUGE difference with the figures. I've done it to four sets, and now I have a beautiful army of 24 Vipers at a tiny fraction of the cost to buy vintage Vipers.

yeah poor me! Lol... life is good when all you can complain about are the quality of action figures!
Thanks for the tips. Someone from DDP's forum (Gi Joe comics) just turned me onto Marauders and I placed an order right away. The O-rings are very tight, but I thik I can live with that. I've never really customized any figures, but I'll check out the othe link too. Thanks again man! I'll have to admit these are great sets for army building, I would have loved these as a kid!

BingoBrown
03-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Trust me, if you do anything you NEED to file down those crotches. It made a huge difference in my figures. Their legs were initially so extremely tight and unworkable, and after the crotch-reduction surgery, they are smooth and flawless. The best part is you won't even notice that any modifcation has been made, as it's all done to the interior portion that isn't visible when the figure is fully assembled.

I know you're reluctant to do it, but if the legs on the Vipers feel tight in the slightest, don't hesitate to file down those crotches.

RolandofGilead
03-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I picked up the old Black Crimson Guard set from Toys R Us a while ago and Marauders was the only way to make that set acceptable. They originally came with lame knives, and sticks but I was able to get quite an arsenal.

ttubach
03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Trust me, if you do anything you NEED to file down those crotches. It made a huge difference in my figures. Their legs were initially so extremely tight and unworkable, and after the crotch-reduction surgery, they are smooth and flawless. The best part is you won't even notice that any modifcation has been made, as it's all done to the interior portion that isn't visible when the figure is fully assembled.

I know you're reluctant to do it, but if the legs on the Vipers feel tight in the slightest, don't hesitate to file down those crotches.

Dude, thanks so much for the advice! I just finished my first one and it makes a BIG difference! I didn't have a small enough file or the motovation to drive across town to home depot, so I used a think box cutter and shaved off some of the crotch, it worked great!
Now I have 11 to go! Really tho, this makes a big diff, I didn't even realize how bad they were until I shaved the first one...

(maybe shaving the crotch is not the proper term I should be using! lol...)