PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Swap Meet

Jeremy
03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Need to thin out your collection? Don't want to have to hire a table in the dealer's area? One of the less-talked about events of Celebration Europe will be a swap meet that will allow collectors a chance to meet up and trade or sell their excess pieces.

The idea is that this will mimic a car boot sale by giving you a table so that you can sell your unwanted toys, or finish off a classified sale/trade that you have been conducting through Rebelscum. The important thing to remember is that this is a non-dealer area and the tables are free for a limited duration (say an hour or two).

So, if anyone can think of any suggestions to make this area of CE (which is my brainchild BTW http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif) a success please post them here. You can also use this thread to make a post if you are going to take a table, what you might have (no exhaustive stock lists please) and when you'll be attending. Remember - NO DEALERS.

In related news, the Rebelscum table will be directly opposite the Swap Meet area so you can all pop over to see myself, Jose and Stephane. Sadly Peter is unable to attend due to his recent illness. (The Fan Site area will get its own thread soon as details are finalised.)

Jeremy

Jeremy
03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Bump - is no one interested in this? Please post your opinions, because the organisers are watching and they'd like to know what you think.

Jeremy

ODB
03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Its a cool idea in principle but I suppose the major draw back is that its very dependent on what people bring with them, I would imagine the dealers with bring some of their 'high' end stuff as it may well shift with the number and level of collectors being there, but individuals might not be too bothered.

Plus I suppose there are questions about how do you publicize what you have (will there be a central notice/swap board or do you have to stand around?), will there be somewhere to store items so you don't have to lug them round with you.

I suppose to make it work well it needs loads of publicity so people not only check it out but bring stuff with them.

Jeremy
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for posting ODB

I think that there will be people who hear about CE and just go for the day. They're going to find the price of SW collectibles a bit daunting and might like the cheaper prices in the swap meet.

Good point about storage though, and yes people will just have to turn up and pitch their wares.

Jeremy

Lee_c00per
03-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Sounds like a good idea but like has been said, it's storgae that's the problem. I have a couple of autographs that i'd like to get rid off.

I'm trying to sell my 2 signed posters but no one seems interested on ebay as i guess they assume they're fake

Jose_Fiuza
03-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Will there be any questions raised at the entrance, for people getting in with collectibles and such?

ChrisGeorgoulias
03-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Jeremy, that's an awesome idea! However, I can't think that dealers would be in favor of it. If that was tried in LA I bet you would hear a LOT of dissent from people who just paid $1000+ to set up there and you're offering essentially the same thing free of charge.

I wish you luck because I'd love to see it! But make sure it will fly with everyone first.

-chris

Jeremy
04-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Access is free for both buyers and sellers, and the time you can is limited so that dealers won't get too pissy. I'd imagine that this is where a lot of junk that dealers won't touch will get sold.

Jeremy

Wuher
04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Didnt they do they in there hotel rooms at C2 and 3 ??

Maybe post what you have and so who is interestede in coming along

Mark

Hope to see you all there

threedarths
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I am sorry but as I am one of those people who has paid over £1000 for tables at this show.......I have to make my feelings known on this situation.

My first question is why should there be a swap meet within the hall at all ? When dealers are having to pay upwards of £500 for one table to then find people being given table space for free taking business away from the dealer area.

Celebration 3 there was a fantastic swap meet which took place at the Omni Hotel on the Friday night of C3. I know this as I went as a member of these forums and purchased a number of items for my own collection. Why can't this be repeated again but at Celebration Europe.

Is this officially going to happen ? because if it does I believe that the organisers are going to have to set a number of very strict and I mean strict guidelines to which people must stick to, including only items to be swapped and not sold.......if you are selling then you should be classed as a dealer and as such you would then have to pay for tables for the whole weekend ie at £500 plus VAT per table.

Nick

Jeremy
04-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Didnt they do they in there hotel rooms at C2 and 3 ??

Maybe post what you have and so who is interestede in coming along

The idea is that instead of conducting sales in teh corridors of hotels like it is some dirty secret people can do it out in the open and enjoy the atmosphere generated.

And FYI Nick, swap meet is an American term for car boot sale: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+swap+meet I don't think it wil lthreaten your business. The idea is that people get rid of their junk, not their ultra new stuff so chill Winston.

Jeremy

threedarths
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
It may well mean that in the US but sorry here in the UK swap meets are generally known as Toy Fairs here.....

I can just see that when this idea is more widely known about by people who have paid for tables at the show, it could be met with a lot angry people to say the least

The whole swap meet last year at the Omni was a great place to meet fellow scummers face to face and swap and buy a few fantastic pieces away from the show. This included dealers as well turning up with pieces that they wanted to sell away from the stalls and to fellow collectors. I have to say that I did not feel like a dirty secret person and was welcomed by all the US guys, as I would hope we would show them just as good a welcome when they come here.

I am all for the swap meet idea but it really does need to be monitored correctly and strictly.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
The idea is that people get rid of their junk, not their ultra new stuff

[/QUOTE] I would have to say that some of the bits and bobs I saw last year at the Omni were in no way to be called junk. An ESB Prototype Box for the cancelled Han Hoth doll, 4 Modern Kenner Quality Control sample figures were just a few goodies to see the light of day at this swap meet

Nick

CE_Office
04-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I have been watching people’s thoughts with interest. Clearly it’s a split of opinion, but things seems to have lost steam and the debate seems to have closed.

I hope I can set the debate going again

The idea behind the potential Swap Meet area was to provide the visitors to Celebration Europe (And by visitors I mean the GENERAL PUBLIC and not dealers or exhibitors) with a safe secure and organised location in which to trade or exchange Star Wars items.

This was particularly aimed at younger or casual collector who may be put off by some of the more formalised trading/dealing that goes on in hotel rooms in the evenings and to encourage new potential collectors into the hobby. To a young person getting into collecting it can a daunting experience.

It was also aimed at international visitors who may be wanting to bring one or two unique items from their own country to trade for items not available in their location and who may not speak English as a first language and therefore might be put of or totally unaware of a more ‘private’ trading event in a hotel room.

Only general admission badge holders would be permitted to use the swap meet area and the trades would be regulated to ensure fair play. People would also be restricted to the number of items they could ‘post’ as trades. We do not want to 'steal' sales from dealers who have invested in Celebration Europe and we value their custom, I personally feel that a trade is very different to a purchase and the visitors will participate in both equally. In fact the Swap Meet area could encourage sales at the dealer tables as it will act almost as a 'trading floor' in a stock market and will help to set demand and perceived values.

In essence the potential Swap Meet area is intended as a social networking area, by putting it in a defined area it means it is open to a wider audience and could hopefully be a lot of fun. there is absolutely no commercial benefit to us in having a swap meet area, in fact we will have to spend money to create it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated shall we have one or not? Floor space at Celebration Europe is now at a premium with almost all the dealer tables and floor space sold so I am keen to free up any space I can.

We listen to RS and we value your opinion.

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Good answer Sprout.

I for one hope that this clears up any doubts and ends the debate.

Jeremy

Nick_Macarty
04-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Is it possible to bring the Wife, and trade her for a younger model? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Nick

Jeremy
04-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Only if you have a full service history, and she is the Slave Dancer variation.

Jeremy

Nick_Macarty
04-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Only if you have a full service history, and she is the Slave Dancer variation.

Jeremy

Sounds good to me. I may even have the box for her too. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Nick

Jeremy
04-15-2007, 06:18 AM
She's no good without a box.

Phnar phnar.

Jeremy

Jose_Fiuza
04-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Do you think traders here could post their lists already? This way members attending would know in advance what to count on (or look out for).

Of course I don't mean to ignore our trading section, but...

Jeremy
04-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm going to bring some junk down and leave it out for anyone who wants to take it. No charge.

Jeremy

thechosenbun
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
this is a great idea jeremy, ive been sending and recieving pms about buying trading and sellingduring ce, the biggest problem is logistics, everyone having to arrange a meeting place in a city they dont know and carting their "crap" around, it just doesnt make sence.
this is a great idea and the people running ce should be thanked for allowing us to use the floor space free of charge.
ps to the dealers who paid 500 a booth, anyone buying from a dealer is doing so because they want quality, i cant see there being much of that at the meet. more a case of people wanting to loose some items, but if there is there is.
in any case it will allow the buyer freedom of choice which is always good for the economy http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BradG
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I will be bring some star wars cast crew patches for any one interested in trading or buying.

I also have and will be bringing a (UFO) star wars cast crew patch. (I call it a (UFO) patch cus other collectors claim to have one but are un-willing to show any proof of such patch) Any way any info any one can give on the (UFO) patch would be great and its for sale if the price is right.

thechosenbun
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM
jeremy is there a form or anything that needs filed or is it a case of first come first served? also a stupid question but just so everyone knows, is this just for AUTHENTIC starwars, no repro, transformers, heman ect..........
tel

thechosenbun
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
ps if this is where were doing the lists im bringing
vintage mocs x10-20 probably
afa 80 4lom
afa 75 sand skimmer potf version
blue snag and cantina adventure
a few boxes items but theyll be small
if anyone is interested in anything else let me know. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif
tel

Jeremy
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
jeremy is there a form or anything that needs filed or is it a case of first come first served? also a stupid question but just so everyone knows, is this just for AUTHENTIC starwars, no repro, transformers, heman ect..........
tel

No, no form. It is an honor system but I don't think there is any limitation on what you can/can't bring. Though obviously SW is going to be the most obvious and popular item.

Jeremy

Nick_Macarty
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
this will help me out pretty well, as I have a carrier bag full of Star wars bits I was going to post on Ebay.

I'll save em and bring em to CE with me. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Nick

garindan
05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
As a dealer - this idea sucks like a vacuum cleaner. The whole idea of having a dealer area is that you charge dealers to buy and sell things. £500+VAT for a stall is severe enough, but to allow *any* such non-equitably charged affair to go ahead, at the venue is absolutely 100% wrong. Why exclude dealers to offer trades? Have we done something wrong paying stall rent? It sounds harmless to your general member of the public if a few pounds here and a few pounds there gets exchanged. However if someone 'private' brings along £2k worth of kit to peddle then you have problem. The owners of the choice items will become known to those interested and once that happens money can change hands if the offer is right. How do you know they are 'private' collectors and not dealers? What if a dealer wants to 'swap' some of their 'private' collection but not have a stall? Who is to say who is who? How do you stop someone selling something rather than trade? The social networking area will act as a competing sales area no matter how it is set-up and as such any dealer would be against it and would have expected to know about it before booking their stall quota.

I don't have a problem with something happening in a hotel somewhere as the content, custom and organisation is self regulated, but something on the venue is totally inappropriate.

thechosenbun
05-28-2007, 02:24 PM
most people will be bring about 1 or 2 bags worth of gear so its not a big deal. fair enough the competion will hurt but then you also have collectors with extra money who may spend it on the dealers. also this might get more people to come to ce.
you said you dont mind selling going on in hotels.
thanks thats big of you.
the fact is most people cant afford to pay 500gbp for a table so are forced to trade in hotels, this is a great way for the organisers to show the people theyre not just doing it for the money
tel

garindan
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
most people will be bring about 1 or 2 bags worth of gear so its not a big deal. fair enough the competion will hurt but then you also have collectors with extra money who may spend it on the dealers. also this might get more people to come to ce.
you said you dont mind selling going on in hotels.
thanks thats big of you.
the fact is most people cant afford to pay 500gbp for a table so are forced to trade in hotels, this is a great way for the organisers to show the people theyre not just doing it for the money
tel

I think you mean £600 for a stall not £500....

Ok then - boot on the other foot - you just paid £600 for a stall and need to turn over a good amount to even draw level for the event and hear that there is a competitive room where your customers are hanging out trading goods and a few deals for cash going on. Would you be pleased for them and all that? It is like owning a restaurant and allowing people to come in and eat their own food whilst you sit at your counter like a lemon.

If this was a fair for the kind hearted and not to make money out of, why are the tables soo expensive and entrance fees soo high? Why were the show exclusive droids at CIV $20 a piece and not standard retail for something equitable? Lets put this into perspective - this isn't an event where the organisers are trying to break even so everyone can have a lovely time! This is high paced marketing and profit engineering scenario.

The reason collectors would like to have the 'swap-meet' at the venue is so they have more chance of trading it or selling it to get something they want. That is the same reason why dealers have paid the stall rent fee. There is no difference other than the huge price one - which is why dealers are going to be very upset if this happens.

Andrew

BradG
05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Andrew,
Whats the big deal??
there is going be hundards and thousands of fans comming to CE!! I think you are getting all stressed out over nothing.

Lee_c00per
05-30-2007, 04:04 AM
I have some 8x10 photos and a couple of 30x40 signed posters that i want to et rid of. I tried selling them on Ebay but they didn't sell as everyone seems to think that anything signed on ebay is fake thse days

I wouldn't mind swapping them for some Autograph Vouchers or merchandse like action figure

Big_Phil
06-06-2007, 06:19 AM
My name is Philip and I'm a dealer.

(all - we love you Philip)

I've read every post and took on board what everyone is saying.

I don't make a living out of dealing. I'm a part timer. I have a full time job and I do this in my spare time. I don't deal in cutting edge latest releases. I buy older figures in bulk and sell on to the collectors with a small mark up.

Now, here's my view....

I'm paying £500+vat for the table. I have to take two days holiday for the event. I live in County Durham so have my travel costs. I need to hire a small van to get my stock to the event. I then have to pay for a hotel. Oh, and then pay for the cheap food :-) I need to sell a LOT of figures!

I don't feel threatened at all really about this swap meet thingy. You have to remember than fans are also travelling from all over the country and the last thing they want to be doing is lugging boxes around with them. They'll maybe bring a couple of carrier bags with odds and ends to swap and that'll be it. They may find something they've been after for years!

I want to go to CE for the event as I do with any other event I attend, and hopefully, I'll sell enough figures to pay for the trip. I know I'll probably miss out on a lot but I have a friend who is travelling with me and we'll taker turns in looking after the table. I generally go to Memorabillia. I enjoy the weekend away, not just the event. I sell Star Wars figures to partly fund my visit.

I would actually like to extend a hand to the people on this board. If you're sick of lugging a load of gear around with you, come visit my stall and I'll hold on to it for you to make the rest of your day enjoyable. There's nothing worse than buying a load of exclusives at the beginning of the day and then carrying them around with you. Hopefully, you'll also buy two or three cheap figures from me :-)

You are potentially going to be one of my customers, I'd like to help you out in any way I can.

Philip
StarWarsCrazy

thechosenbun
06-06-2007, 06:50 AM
thanks philip we love you http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif
this is a dealer that knows how to make money and look out for his customers.
very generious offer mate im looking forward to meeting you at ce
tel

Dean_C
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi there Philip,

might i say what u HUGELY generous offer i think that is.

Well done mate!!!

if more people at the show take this kind of attitude, itll be a show not to miss!!

Dean.

( ps ill see you there if i score a SIDESHOW JABBA!)

Lez
06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
After reading through the various comments it's nice to know that an area like this will exist, on the basis it will be for a short periods of time over the event I can't see how this will impact on the dealers much, if anything it may spark of an interest to buy a more expensive item (that's what happen to me a few years ago, bought some thing cheapish then it was down hill afterwards as the items I generally wanted could only be picked up from the trade especially the newer items.

I do believe this will need to be monitored as it could be abused by all parties, but hope in the good spirit it is being set up that this is not the case.

Those people that do bring items with them will be in small amounts, I can't imagine anyone wanting to bring to much as they could be lugging it around all day.

Well I hope to be going & it would be nice to meet up with some of people from here, I won't be bringing anything to trade sorry http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Philip appreciate your kind offer, I may take you up on it but at the very least if manage to attend I will say hello. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt76
06-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Philip, that is a great offer!! I would happily visit your table and fingers crossed you will have a few figures that I am missing in my collection.

BTW on behalf of everyone else 'We Love You' LOL

Big_Phil
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll be wearing my RebelScum badge. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention my dealer name to make it easier to find me but here it is.

Star Wars Crazy

Admin, feel free to alter this post if I've broken the rules.

BradP
06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
dont think anyone has really posted what they are bringing so I will start.

I will have:
+few character keys from acme
+Large ESB trading cards some sealed some open(37 total/30 makes a set)
+PSWCS patches
+DC club patches
+Japanese trading card dealer envelope set(yamakutsa??)
and a few other things that I scratch around for in the next few weeks.....
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jose_Fiuza
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I'll be bringing some bagged European Burger King ROTS food promos and will try to swap them for the few American ones (Mace, for instance; all bagged) I don't already own (I'll bring a list).

lordstarwars
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Cheers Phill
I will call to your store have a look at you merchandise and take you up on your kind offer. What happens if the bags get mixed up? Will you have enough room?

JosephY
06-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Great idea Jeremy!!

3 guesses as to what I'll be bringing to trade and sell.....

See you all in 2 weeks!!
J

Big_Phil
06-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I was planning on taking some tape along and a black marker so they're easily identified. I guess if I run out of space, it'll be first come, first served. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnA
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
3 guesses as to what I'll be bringing to trade and sell.....

Old combs/brushes still left in your house? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13 days to go for me. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Jeremy
06-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm going with hair nets and styling gel.

Jeremy

Nick_Macarty
06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Welcome back Jeremy. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Nick

JosephY
07-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm going with hair nets and styling gel.

Jeremy

Nah... Chris G. has the market cornered on styling gel. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif