PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried, UK shipping to US

phidias_barrios
10-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I live in the U.S. and last month I won a Hammerhead baggie figure from a guy in the U.K. The figure was $35 and shipping was $10. I sent him a Western Union international MO for $45 total.

He acknowledged on Sept 19 that he received my payment and that the figure was shipped. But it's been almost 4 weeks now with no package.

Normally, I wouldn't be concerned but there were a few things that happened during our transaction that are starting to worry me now:
-When he first listed the item, I made a buyout offer of $40.
-He replied that he would be willing to take $80!
-I politely told him that was too high for me and that I would just put in my $40 bid.
-I ended up winning the auction for $35.
-Shipping was listed as $9 but he was asking me to send $55 total!
-I replied that this was kind of high and that shouldn't the total be $44? He agreed to that and I sent him $45 to be safe.
-Plus, he complained that he was charged extra fees for cashing my MO. I always thought a western union intl money was cashable anywhere with no problems?

Anyway, I haven't heard from him since Sept 19. I sent him an email since then but he hasn't responded.

My question is does UK shipping to the US normally take this long? I'm just hoping this is not a case where he wanted top dollar for his stuff, didn't get it, and is now trying to weasel out of it.

Lafos
10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Normally shipping should take approx. 5-10 days, when shipped via airmail.

ThorOakenfelder
10-16-2006, 12:56 PM
sounds kind of flaky. Have you sent him several emails? Has he posted any more items for sale?

phidias_barrios
10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
He has a bike listed for sale right now. I sent him one email which was early last week. I just sent him another one this morning. His feedback is real good - 99.7.

I'm still doing my best to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe he went cheap on the postage and shipped it by boat? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ThorOakenfelder
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
He has a bike listed for sale right now. I sent him one email which was early last week. I just sent him another one this morning. His feedback is real good - 99.7.

I'm still doing my best to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe he went cheap on the postage and shipped it by boat? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Parcel post could be 4-6 weeks

Leif_G
10-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Yup. If he sent it surface then it literally goes by boat. Not only that but the mail containers don't usually leave port until they have a sufficient load. So if the mail load was light when your package reached the port, it could be stuck waiting in port several weeks before there's enough mail built up to begin it's voyage.

Ste_Jones
10-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Phidias

It sounds like he has really scrimped on shipping by sending surface which takes 4-6 weeks as mentioned above.

If he is sending you a single baggie figure, he has already made a profit on postage as they cost approx $4 to ship in a jiffy bag via airmail which arrives in a week or less.

Does he have proof of posting?

Ste

phidias_barrios
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi Phidias

Does he have proof of posting?

Ste

I don't know. I have yet to hear from him.

Ste_Jones, on a related note, did you ever have a problem cashing the MO I sent you a while back?
I think it was back in July or August.
I sent this guy the same type of MO that I sent to you, but he claims he was charged "extra bank fees" for cashing it.

I actually wouldn't mind if he did in fact use surface mail. I have no problem being patient. His lack of communication is the annoying thing.

Thanks guys for all your input.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leif_G
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I've heard from another UK seller (whom I trust) that it does cost money for them to cash a money order, at least ones issued by banks here in Canada.

Corey
10-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Its the seller's responsibility to take into account any costs of receiving their payment before the listing is live on ebay. It's similar to PayPal fees and should never be passed to the buyer unless its stated up front.

If he accepted the $40 buyout (with terms of the extra fees) then that's something different. But this was won by regular bidding so the fees should not be passed on.

As far as the time involved, I waited 9 or 10 weeks before I received something from the UK once. The seller contacted customs and found it hung up there for a few weeks. Since he had a friend in UK customs I guess he cashed in a favor and got the package moving along.

Corey

Leif_G
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
The seller contacted customs and found it hung up there for a few weeks. Since he had a friend in UK customs I guess he cashed in a favor and got the package moving along.

Corey

When I used to work at a post office years ago, I was continually finding letters and small parcels that had fallen into cracks (sometimes literally) and had been sent months, or even the year, before. A friend of mine who worked at a US post office once found a mail bag in a storage room that contained mail that had been post marked 70 years earlier.

spoons
10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
It does cost to cash money orders in the UK, about 7 ($14). If the guy said he accepted money orders there should be no problem - its his loss. If he didn't and he was sent a MO he may have wanted to add a bit to the P&P, or send it surface mail. If he only charged you $1 extra you did well http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThorOakenfelder
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I'd still be pretty concerned if he refuses to answer emails.

Brody_Walker
10-19-2006, 05:19 PM
It might be too late now, but anytime you get parcels sent from foreign countries, get insurance and get a tracking number.

I always get a tracking number so i can see where it is up to, and more often than not I get insurance (even if it is low) just so the postal services take care of it.

4 weeks wouldn't be uncommon (I've recently had a 4 week wait from the US to the UK). But then again I just received an item that was sent on the 11th, and I received it on the 17th.

5 - 10 days is very optimistic, and personally I think 2 weeks is a decent amount of time to expect it in.

A few people can vouch for how long it has taken a parcel to arrive in the US from me....around 10 - 15 days. I think I sent a Leia to Corey a couple of months back that took only a week.

Brody

Corey
10-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Brody...

That arrived very fast...5 or 6 days IIRC http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif thanks again. With the exception of 1 shipment that took almost 3 months, most from the UK to the US have been within the 2 week window. I'm waiting on an item now that is about a week and a half.

Corey

misfit
10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I think it's a bad idea to use Western Union, especially overseas. There is no recourse available whatsoever to reclaim your money if the seller does not send the item. Ebay and Paypal won't compensate buyers who use Western union to pay for an auction even if they determine that the buyer has a legitimate complaint and the auction otherwise did not go against any policies. They recommend avoiding auctions that require Western Union.
I know all of this from experience.

Darth_Bugga
10-22-2006, 12:19 AM
As far as the time involved, I waited 9 or 10 weeks before I received something from the UK once. The seller contacted customs and found it hung up there for a few weeks. Since he had a friend in UK customs I guess he cashed in a favor and got the package moving along.

Corey

I don't see why your package was stuck in UK customs. Customs check stuff coming in to a country, not going out!
Are you sure this seller wasn't spinning you a yarn?

Trevor Briggs (ex-pat Brit)

redstar19
10-22-2006, 01:56 AM
i assume you bought the item from ebay auction.

have you file for "item not received" under Dispute Console. in doing so, it will irrate the guy whenever he logins to ebay. (hightlight message! in red).

do so within 6-8 weeks after the auction ends(sorry i can't remember the exact week)

so at least this is reported and if anything happens, give a negative feedback with a good reason. this will get the seller to do some work rather than getting away from all reponsible. if the item is lost, if there is a return address written on the package, the seller should get back the item.

I bought a B-wing MIB together with a MOC B-wing figure and did not receive it last year. it cost more than 100USD and it really hurts. luckly in the end, I got my refund.

Ste_Jones
10-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Ste_Jones, on a related note, did you ever have a problem cashing the MO I sent you a while back?
I think it was back in July or August.
I sent this guy the same type of MO that I sent to you, but he claims he was charged "extra bank fees" for cashing it.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Phidias

Sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't have any trouble cashing as such, but did get charged about 20 by my bank for paying it in. Also, I held everyone else up in the queue as my bank had never seen one before, and had to ring their head office for advice on how to deal with it. Given the choice in the future, I would always go with paypal for ease and convenience. This is not a negative reflection on our transaction as it was flawless.

Ste http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

phidias_barrios
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
As the world turns: http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I finally received a follow up email from him last week on October 19.
He said he went to the post office to investigate but didn't discover much, so he went ahead and shipped another Hammerhead baggie.
I find it kind of weird that he happens to have an extra one lying around.
Oh well, let's see....

Some of you were recommending PayPal.
I don't have the discipline to use it. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
It's too easy for me to go click and poof, the moneys spent.
At least with money-orders, I have to go through the trouble of walking to the post office, mailing my payment, and waiting the extra days to receive my package.
It helps curb my spending and I also stay out of credit card debt.

phidias_barrios
10-24-2006, 04:29 PM
I just received his package today.
The customs declaration states it was sent on 10-20-06, royal mail. That was quick!

The seller is a bit shady.
He stated that this was the second baggie figure he shipped.
However, I'm looking at it right now and it looks just like the one in the original listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230023700664&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

The creases and impressions on the baggie match up perfectly.
I'm concluding he initially was planning not to ship it but maybe his conscious got the better of him.

Anyways, I just glad I didn't get ripped.
Thanks again guys for all your input.