PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Sensing a disturbance in the force on eBay

ClankTheRobot
09-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey quick question...

How long should I wait till I consider a seller a figment of my imagination?

I won a carded figure for less than half the going rate and the seller hasn't responded to any of my messages regarding a final price with shipping. I wanted this info quickly because he doesn't accept paypal and I need to send a money order. I'm thinking he's not too happy about the price.

I won this Saturday morning and being that its now Wednesday, I'm getting a little concerned. He hasn't put any new auctions up since, so maybe he's away or busy or something came up, but...any advice would be appreciated. In all my time on eBay, this is the first time I've had to deal with this situation.

Thanks,
Greg

UPDATE:

I received the merchandise from this seller so I guess he was just a little slow and non-communicative on accident...

For a whopping $18...
http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/Urgah_Lady_Gorneesh_Carded.jpg

Nowhere in the auction did he use the word "Urgah" for this figure. I typed just that word and didn't see this, then typed the whole name and struck gold.

I was kinda worried also because he sold a loose vintage POTF A-Wing for like $65 and I thought that was a little low.

Anyhow, it worked out. I'm sure many believe I was jumping the gun, but that was the longest I ever had to wait for an invoice. It went smoothly after that.

starwarssteve
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
There has been a few times in my experience a seller would not sell me the item because the auction ended too low for them to swallow.It really sucks but it certainly happens. The last time I won something for a very low price the seller contacted me and told me the item was stolen from his car so he couldn't finish the transaction....Sure it was buddy, or perhaps your auction for a 12 back chewie ending a 96.00 was just too much to take... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Hope things work out for ya....best of luck http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif
~Steve

Phil72
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
It's happened to me on numerous occasions, but the fact that the seller hasn't listed anything since gives a little hope...good luck! Also the people who did it to me had done it previously to others & had been left negative feedback mentioning it, so maybe worth a check through their history.

shameonyou
09-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Maybe he is just a little busy,

some sellers on ebay took a few days or even a week to send me their invoices,
maybe he is checking with the post office the shipping cost of your figure,

Don´t worry,
after all, you can always leave negative feedback on him if he try to screw you up.

flatcapandwhipet
09-14-2006, 03:15 AM
It's just happened with me...
I bought 2 Attakus figures for less than half retail, and guess what? Email from seller saying that he tried to end auction early because someone had offered him more to sell it privately http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif
leaving negative feedback was of little comfort, much rather had the statues

JohnnyD
09-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Sending someone a money order who is not too happy about the sale price does not sound like a good idea to me.Its just asking for trouble.
My advice would be to give it ten days and if you don't hear from him let it go.If you do hear from him why not offer him a little extra so he feels better about the deal or at least feels like he couldn't rip you off because you come across as a stand up guy.
I fail to see how people can sometimes be indignant because a seller refuses to part with an item for half its value.

flatcapandwhipet
09-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Sending someone a money order who is not too happy about the sale price does not sound like a good idea to me.Its just asking for trouble.
My advice would be to give it ten days and if you don't hear from him let it go.If you do hear from him why not offer him a little extra so he feels better about the deal or at least feels like he couldn't rip you off because you come across as a stand up guy.
I fail to see how people can sometimes be indignant because a seller refuses to part with an item for half its value.

"I fail to see how people can sometimes be indignant because a seller refuses to part with an item for half its value."
Can't believe what I've just read there. Had to copy and paste it so I got it right.
Just in case you are new to ebay, it say's,
You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
right before you put your confirmation bid on how much YOU value the piece to be.
Now if the seller doesn't value it at that price and hasn't put a reserve on, then thats just TOUGH http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif
And that's how you achieve market value....

sotoam
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM

So you don't have a problem if a buyer doesn't follow through due to buyer's remorse? It goes both ways here. You can't be fine with not selling to someone if they didn't get what they thought it was worth and be upset if the buyer overbids on an item and decides not to go through with it.

It's a contract. If the buyer doesn't plan to sell unless it reaches a certain price, put a reserve on it.

BillCable
09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Request the seller's contact info through eBay. Then you can give him a call.

Leif_G
09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
You can get an eBay sellers contact info and give him a call. I have to do it occasionally. When you request the sellers contact info he will also get yours.

Then if the seller still tries to avoid you I would file a report and start a dispute process. It has always worked well for me.

Leif_G
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Request the seller's contact info through eBay. Then you can give him a call.

Ah! You beat me to it!

So are we great minds thinking alike or.... ?

ClankTheRobot
09-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Bill and Leif,

Big thanks! I had heard of this process before but I'm not all that saavy on eBay policies, to tell you the truth. This puts me on some kind of path...

Johnny,

I almost can't believe you said that, but I see others have pointed out the faulty logic. I don't ask for much from eBay...I'm in a position where every pay period (2 weeks), if there is nothing major going on in my household, I attempt to get something I'm looking for in the modestly low dollar range, ie. I don't have alot to spend and there is not much that I can go for...a few figures, a few accessories, every once in a great while, a vehicle. It galls me that one of the things on my "to get" is right at my fingertips for an affordable price (for my household...read between the lines...the wifey doesn't want me spending much money on this "garbage"). Quite honestly, the figure is on a junky card and I need it to open for my loose collection (Ewoks cartoon figure w/coin). I won it for less than the loose circulated price, not to mention the coin for crap's sake.

All I want is what I won...not a hard time.

Peace and love to all, http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Greg

Leif_G
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Greg. Follow the link below. Check the 'Item Not Received' button and press the 'Report Problem' button. On the next page eBay will give you an overview of the process and soem additional links to read through.

You won't be able to actually start the process right away perhaps, but you should familiarize yourself withthe process and follow eBay's advice about things to do first (such as calling the seller).

Reporting a Problem on eBay (http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/)

ClankTheRobot
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks Leif, I will definitely check that out. I should get more familiar with these procedures since I am starting to sell some of my old junk on there right now as well.

As for this little problem, a couple hours ago, I received the invoice for it. I can't say that I'm not a little concerned about sending the money order, but its not for a fortune and maybe this guy is just slow, although the auction states that he will mail the figure within 48 hours of payment. Sssssuuuurrreeee....

I'll update this thread when I get the figure just to close it out.

Greg

Leif_G
09-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I've found that it's a good idea to not get too stressed out over slow responders. I've had a few where I had no contact for almost a week then suddenly they email me out of the blue all apologetic. Sometimes people have emergencies or they bid then go on holidays for a week and forget to let you know they won't be around right away in the event they win the auction. I've had a few deals that started out with a week long 'nothing' then they end super smooth and the people turn out to be quite nice eBayers.

Manga_Spawn
09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Ok so wait you have already paid for the item? If so then take the MO receipt call the number and see if he cashed it. If he did I would contact him and tell him you know he has his money and that you are wondering if the item shipped. With the item not recieved thing on ebay you have to wait 10 days so it maybe a while until you can really do anything. It is possible that he was just selling the few items and doesn't always have something for sale. Hopefully you get your item.

ClankTheRobot
09-14-2006, 03:46 PM
No, I haven't paid yet. I hadn't even heard from the seller until today and I won the item first thing last Saturday morning. I may have not been concerned at all, but the price was low enough for me to wonder if the seller was upset about letting it go. I just wanted some advice and thoughts about the situation...

Greg

Leif_G
09-14-2006, 06:53 PM
If his track record is good and it's doesn't represent a huge loss for him I really doubt you will have any problems getting your item Greg. The thing I would worry about is how much effort he will put into packing it and labelling it properly. For some strange reason some sellers don't seem to think doing so is their obligation.

JohnnyD
09-14-2006, 08:23 PM

"I fail to see how people can sometimes be indignant because a seller refuses to part with an item for half its value."
Can't believe what I've just read there. Had to copy and paste it so I got it right.
Just in case you are new to ebay, it say's,
You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
right before you put your confirmation bid on how much YOU value the piece to be.
Now if the seller doesn't value it at that price and hasn't put a reserve on, then thats just TOUGH http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif
And that's how you achieve market value....

Look. You can approach the guy all guns blazing screaming about contractual obligations but the fact is that on ebay they mean nothing because you would find it near impossible to enforce them.The other approach is to say "ok if you are unhappy with the deal, how can we make a deal where we both walk away feeling happy."Generally if you deal with people in a positive manner they will respond in kind.If it doesnt work out Greg I say just walk away because it isn't worth busting a heart valve over in anger and stress. I am not new to ebay and what I have learned in my time is that there is always another great deal waiting around the corner.Another thing I have learned is definitely don't send a money order to an unhappy seller because you might end up with nothing.

ClankTheRobot
09-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I understand Johnny, I just didn't get how you could say you can't believe when someone is upset by a seller that doesn't want to sell what he put on eBay to sell. It's not my fault it didn't reach the magic number in his twisted collectible money hungry head. I understand sellers don't have guns to their head making them sell the stuff once the auction is over (although they probably should http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), but NO ONE wakes up on any given day and and says "I think I'll go to eBay today and get ripped off...I have nothing better to do."

It's my right as a buyer and a human being to feel less than happy if I don't get the item that I won under eBay rules. For them to be slack in enforcing this policy shows eBay's true colors (yellow for cowardice and green for money). But I think we already now that...

Greg

Leif_G
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM

A person has a right to be indignant if someone enters into a contract with them then breaks it. A seller also has a right to be pissed off about his item selling for half it's value (although it's probably his own fault - some auctions are put together so poorly).

But just because people aren't happy with the auction outcome doesn't mean they will automatically try to stiff the other party. All of this really highlights the importance of only buying from experienced eBayers with great feedback.

ClankTheRobot
09-15-2006, 02:16 PM
You may be right about it being the seller's fault for the low price. I have a hunch, although I could be offbase, that the auction wasn't seen by as many people due to the seller's lack of one word in the character's three word name. There were 2 other bidders who, luckily for me, were trying not to pay too much for it either.

I had searched for auctions with this character by typing in one specific word and didn't find it, but upon further inspection, it came up a different way.

JohnnyD
09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
It's just the lack of compassion that gets me.How about walking a mile in the other guys shoes before making comments like "thats just TOUGH."(Not you Greg)
But I wouldn't call them "money hungry" just because they want a fair price for their item.And please don't give me the quote about "market value" because that is so misused on Rebelscum.
That fact that the seller made a mistake in the title of his listing must surely make you feel some compassion for him.By intentionally preying on people who make such a mistake you are creating an unfair playing field from the start.I don't see how you can be angry if the guy realises that fact and doesn't want to go through with the deal.Take a moment to consider how you would like to be treated if you were him.
I just don't believe in laughing at people and shouting "sucker!"
I understand it is a contract but some concepts are greater than contract law.Above all I have to agree with Dakk. You should only buy from sellers with good feedback and reiterate my main point to keep away from deals that look like they will go bad because often they do.

JohnnyD
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Let me just add Greg that you may have misunderstood.The 'indignant' comment did not relate to you at all because you did not come across that way.Hope you didn't take offense and take the rest of my advice/opinion as simply an attempt to help you out of your situation without ending up in some huge stressful hassle.

ClankTheRobot
09-15-2006, 10:56 PM
No, its ok Johnny, I don't feel offended. It's been a lively discussion and thats what we're here for. I suppose I do feel some compassion for the seller, especially since I have recently become a seller myself (who hasn't seemed to sell too much). Eh, I guess its just a more completed hobby these days than it used to be. Sometimes there are too many options and too much to remember...it makes it hard to even keep everything straight.

Well, my payment is in the mail...let's see if it comes through ok.

Greg

flatcapandwhipet
09-16-2006, 01:07 PM
It's just the lack of compassion that gets me.How about walking a mile in the other guys shoes before making comments like "thats just TOUGH."(Not you Greg)

That's aimed at me right?
Let's get things straight here, we are all "grown-ups" on here, correct?
You have to be a "grown-up" person to list on evilbay, correct?
Now, as a "grown-up" person you have to take responsibilties in life, and if you do things in life that you later regret then, and i'll say it again, TOUGH. That my friend is about learning life's little lessons.

And please don't give me the quote about "market value" because that is so misused on Rebelscum.

Let's just see what the Oxford English Dictionary has to say about this shall we...
• noun the amount for which something can be sold in an open market.
As a democratic free country in which we both live in i think you must appreciate that....

flatcapandwhipet
09-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Clank, I can only commiserate with you my friend, it has happened to me all too recently, but then again I have sold collectables through evilbay below "book" price.... you takes these little knocks in life, it makes you a bigger man, and unfortunately for you the seller doesn't want to be a bigger man.... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

flatcapandwhipet
09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
And please don't give me the quote about "market value" because that is so misused on Rebelscum.

Oops almost forgot to add to my last posting...

• noun the amount for which something can be sold in an open market.

So lets see what the Oxford English dictionary says about open market... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

open market

• noun an unrestricted market with free access by and competition of buyers and sellers.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JohnnyD
09-17-2006, 04:34 AM
Wow! Thanks for clearing that up for me flatcrapandwhipet http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish they'd a teached it to me that way in younabercity http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

flatcapandwhipet
09-17-2006, 09:18 AM
no problem JohnnyD, http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif and the next English lesson, is Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen.... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

flatcapandwhipet
09-25-2006, 06:32 AM
does anybody know who the 'eck darksidefinger is on ebay?
Every time i try to win a sketch card he buys it. It's got to be someone with the same size pockets as Bill Gates http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif