PDA

View Full Version : Was the VOTC line really THAT great of an idea?...

AdamMc
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Just goes to show you....An intentionally vague seller + uneducated/ancy bidders =

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Yoda-Empire-Strikes-Back-ESB-RARE-Kenner-NR_W0QQitemZ250022935072QQihZ015QQcategoryZ751QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

thematrixatenemo
09-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Alright I'll bite. How do you know? I see the sticker that is falling off, but other than that? I'm just getting into vintage stuff, so I want to get educated.

Phil

Blight
09-02-2006, 07:32 PM
erm..the figure isn't vintage.

AdamMc
09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Several things stick out to me that reveal that this is a VOTC Yoda.

1.) I have never seen a carded vintage Yoda with the robe hanging open...If one DID exist, it would require that the belt was either never put on, or it was erroneously put on UNDER his robe. You could imagine the unlikelihood of either happening.

2.) Look at his legs. The vintage Yoda legs are identifyably separate, and you can typically only see Yoda's ankles and feet, while the VOTC Yoda has a brown cloth covering the legs (making them look like one big brown piece in this photo.)

3.) The shape of Yoda himself. There is a DISTINCT head mold difference between a vintage Yoda and a VOTC Yoda.

4.) The picture is intentionally taken from far away to hide these facts. Check the seller's other auctions. He offers close-up pics of all of his vintage pieces - why not this one?

5.) The seller makes it clear that he will never accept returns or offer refunds under any circumstances. He highly encourages all questions to be asked up front.

6.) The seller describes it as
"Star Wars Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back Kenner not custom made. Rare collectible action figure," and the title of the auction is "Star Wars Yoda Empire Strikes Back ESB RARE Kenner NR." Never once does he say VINTAGE figure...I think it is reasonable to assume he left out this term to ensure he can claim that he sold exactly what he advertised, which technically, he has.

It's a classic example of an educated seller taking advantage of one of a billion uneducated collectors. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I sent the high bidder a friendly warning, but I don't know that he received it in time to make a difference.

Jim_Mc_Callum
09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
It is VOTC Hasbro alright (funny how its Canadian too http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif , what a coincidence). His R2 and 3P0 auction is VOTC and not original either. An easy way to tell is the roundness of the bubbles.

Jim

sotoam
09-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Also, that R2 has a 3rd leg.

ThorOakenfelder
09-03-2006, 01:19 AM
I love how hw not only took them out of the clamshell cases, but also punched the tag. That's completely awesome.

I have to say that if you're bidding on an item like this and decide that you're going to pay $60 or more for it without researching or knowing anything, then you get what you pay for.

Mike_S
09-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Well, not everyone out there's an expert, so don't go blaming the buyer.
The seller obviously knows what he/she is doing and is trying to be deceptive and sneaky.

E_CHU_TA
09-03-2006, 10:09 AM
cant you file a report to ebay for misrepresentation.

spoons
09-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Not that I particularly want to defend the seller as I'm sure you are right, judging by how he describes his other auctions.

But..he hasn't even listed it in a vintage SW category. Its under SW, other. You'd be hard pressed to make a fraud case against him. If someone buys a modern figure advertised within a modern category there's no problem.

ThorOakenfelder
09-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, not everyone out there's an expert, so don't go blaming the buyer.
The seller obviously knows what he/she is doing and is trying to be deceptive and sneaky.

I do blame the buyer for their part in this. $20 is my limit for uneducated purchases. If someone is going to spend more than $20 for something that they don't know about they should go onto the internet to try to find out something about the item before they continue. I mean, if you looked at the completed auction, there was a carded yoda currently for sale, if you follow that link, it was obvious that the figure in the packaging was different.

It's not like it was a load of repro weapons, where 100% of the blame rests on the seller's shoulders. The buyer needs to do their due dilligence. I'm not defending the seller because that's a nasty thing that they did intentionally, but the buyer obviously required a $60 lesson in researching their purchases. Sure the seller is trying to be sneaky, but if you do a search for Yoda on ebay, you'll find a ton of VOTC and vintage figures to compare against.

michael_mensinger
09-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Very well stated, Thor! I agree with you 100%. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

ThorOakenfelder
09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
actually there's something else I find shady here. There were 3 people willing to shell out more than $10 for this figure? why don't I believe that?

buck16
09-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Sellers who call such items "RARE" should all get reported for misrepresentation. This seems to be a pretty clear case of that.

ThorOakenfelder
09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Sellers who call such items "RARE" should all get reported for misrepresentation. This seems to be a pretty clear case of that.

You'd have to report every single Ebay seller out there. That seems like a monumental amount of time used.

Rocket_Back
09-03-2006, 01:15 PM
The seller here is being dubious but the buyer is being, for lack of a better word, dumb. "Uneducated" might have worked better, but it only takes a minute or two to check on something like this, so I think dumb is the best word here. Anyone willing to dump $60 on something without spending a minute (and it really wouldn't take much longer) researching what they're buying, deserves the hard lesson (not that the seller isn't being deceitful, because (s)he is and its inexcusable).

Chancellor_Peter
09-03-2006, 02:01 PM
It's a classic example of an educated seller taking advantage of one of a billion uneducated collectors. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Summation in simple layman's term : A Fool and his Money is soon Parted.

JohnA
09-05-2006, 12:18 PM

This was a joke, right? I just want to be sure because rare is really such a subjective word. If you collect modern stuff and you can't find a figure at all in your area it *is* rare even if it's is falling off the shelves in other areas. If you are talking vintage I'd bet with 10 different collectors you'd get at least 5-7 different answers about what rare is. To some a blue Snag or a Yakface is rare while to others a 65 back Hoth Trooper is rare while there are those that say stuff like a Luke in robes HC is truly rare. It's really just perspective. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides, rare is a marketing phrase overused to attract attention but far from against the rules.

John

Matt_T
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Agreed, John! "Rare" is a relative term, and he does not identify what he is comparing it with. If he said this is a rare item because there are more people interested in owning it compared to the number of them made - then no, it's not rare. However, if he is comparing the number of these in existance w/ the number of molecules in the universe, then yes, it is quite a rare piece. The point of this exercise: ignore the word "Rare", and ignore people selling items who use subjective terms in a misleading way. Again, it goes back to some responsibility resting on the buyer.

Matt