PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

effexseven
08-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Anyone else get these messages from supposed "Ebay members?" -

Hey, listen buddy, i don't know what kind of game are you playing with me. If you don't answer me i'll be forced to report you at ebay and i assure you that you will be suspended from ebay. This is the final warning.

cata2000x

I was getting these even when I was away from EBay for nearly a year!
So, anyone else get them?

Leif_G
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM
They are likely phishing emails designed to get your eBay log in info. They do this by getting you to respond to the fake member by logging into their fake eBay login page (by clicking the 'respond' button they conveniently provide in the email). If you check in your 'My eBay' messages on the eBay website you will not likely find them in there, which means eBay didn't send them.

Always browse to the eBay site manually. Never link on a link to get there. Ans especially never use your log in after clicking a link to get there.

sotoam
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Yep, they are phishing scams. I get them all the time. Just delete them or mark them as SPAM.

shameonyou
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
First of all forgive me for being such an ignorant but,

what kind of damage can a person do by knowing your ebay password?

I mean, I know that you can get bad feedback comments but what else can they do?
I mean, what is the point?

Chad_D
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
They can bid for you. A lot of people probably have the same password for their paypal account too.

shameonyou
09-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah well, they can place bids using your name, an some people are carless enough to use the same password for their paypal accounts, I can understand that,

but what if you donīt have the same password for your paypal account?

then itīs useless?
are they like hoping for the best?
is like winning the lotery right?
I mean, what are the odds? is it just a prank?

I just donīt see the point

anakin_collector
09-01-2006, 01:29 AM
The scammer can post fake expensive items for sale under your name, and have the winner send them the money. They usually target ebayers who have not been active for a while.

Chad_D
09-01-2006, 01:45 AM
are they like hoping for the best?
is like winning the lotery right?
I mean, what are the odds?

That's what phishing is. These people try this with hundred or thousands of people simultaneously with mass emails until they hit the jackpot. It doesn't bother them if the majority don't respond. It only takes a few, and a few do respond. Then a few of those have the same password for everything else. The odds are good even if it's one out of a thousand.

is it just a prank?

Nope.

Leif_G
09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
First of all forgive me for being such an ignorant but,

what kind of damage can a person do by knowing your ebay password?

I mean, I know that you can get bad feedback comments but what else can they do?
I mean, what is the point?

While some amateur phishing might be with the purpose of using your account to buy an item (or many) or ruin your account (or both), most have another purpose.

Actually, this is what hardcore phishers do...

They steal your eBay ID, then minutes later you have tonnes of scam eBay autions opened up in your account. The money from these auctions goes to the crooks and you are left holding the bag for the scam auctions.

I'm not kidding... people have literally lost thousands of dollars in a single sour eBay auction.

Leif_G
09-01-2006, 09:09 AM
And while I'm on the subject of security. That same misconception about what phisher's are after corelates to general computer security as well. Most people think hackers are after something they have. They figure that since they don't have much on their computer they are safe or that no one will bother hacking into their computer since they are not rich and full of secrets.

The fact is most real attempts to hack your computer are for a single evil purpose. To use your computer to commit another, much more serious crime. Hackers never use their own computers for such things. They use what are known as 'zombies'... other people's compromised computers.

shameonyou
09-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Oh man!
that really sucks,
I was so blind, I didnīt realized that before,
thank you for being so informative.