PDA

View Full Version : Question about ebay shipping on multiple items

sjr5740
06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I have a quick question about shipping on multiple items from ebay. In the past when I have purchased items from a seller they have always sent me an invoice and when I have purchased multiple items from a single seller they have always combined shipping costs. Because of the amount of money which can be saved on shipping by purchasing multiple items at once I started seeking out sellers who listed multiple items because I wanted to save on shipping costs.

I recently won several items from a seller who listed many items. However, I have yet to receive an invoice from the seller and if I go to the pay now area of My Ebay the shipping comes out to over $30 for 5 loose figures.

I emailed the seller and asked for an invoice and a shipping discount but received no reply. I do not know how to proceed at this point if I pay the full shipping cost I am going to insist he send each figure seperately to justify his shipping costs or give me a shipping discount.

If anyone has had a similar problem and could let me know how they resolved it I would appreciate it.

Regards

SJR

Fit_Kisto
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
You should ask first before you bid or buy whether the seller will combine shipping on multiple wins. I ALWAYS do this first. If they say no, move on. But just keep hammering him with invoice requests. This should justify you not paying for the items if it comes to that. You'll probably encounter feedback issues though.

toxictoyzz
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
hi! i would contact him, sayin that he should combine shipping, if he doesn't, then insist on the items being shipped in 5 separate packages as you said before. if he doesn't --> file a claim!

sjr5740
06-22-2006, 07:32 AM
That is exactly my plan. I suspect he is trying to recoup ebay and paypal fees without explicately saying so and he has a few questionable feedback posts about demanding extra payment after a check was cashed and a few that say things like "item received thats all I can say"

I probably should've asked more questions before I bid. But he had exactly what I needed and even with the inflated shipping I am getting quite a few complete POTF figures cheaper than I have seen them sell for in the past.

I am refraining on posting the sellers id until things get resolved, as he listed many items so he may just be slow in responding but if he does not combine shipping I have no problem letting people know to avoid this seller.

SJR

TEAMRICO
06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I always ask if they combine shipping for multi-win auctuion.
You and I both know it does not cost $5 to send a single LOOSE figure. I dont know were these sellers get thier shipping info. Usually they get a few dollars off the top form the postage. I have recieved items that cost a dollar or so to ship when I paid 3 or 4! I hate that with a passion.
My sales and trades are always sent for exact cost. No suprises when it comes to that. I have a personal battle with the Post Office(Monopoly) which is a whole different topic. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I wont give them one cent more if I dont have to!
Hammer them with emails or demand that they use every cent to ship each piece. If they wont, demand a refund.
Usually they will work with you so they dont have to wrap 5 differnt figures and make up mailing labels etc.
My 2 cents.

sjr5740
06-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I usually dont mind paying a buck or 2 extra in shipping if the shipping prices are reasonable as it does take some time to go to the post office and the packing materials do have some cost. However, in this case it is ridiculous as I know it does not cost more than $10 to send 5 loose figures even with priority mail and delivery confirmation. What is really pissing me off though is that the seller does not even return emails even though I tell him I am not paying until I receive and invoice as all sellers have always sent me an invoice.

SJR

ShadowTrooper
06-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Do the request user information thru eBay, which will give you his name and phone number, because he gets notified thru eBay that you have requested this. Sometimes that will jolt the seller into contacting you. But, if the auctions did not mention shipping discounts, you're probably out of luck. Like someone else said, that make the seller ship everything separately.

sjr5740
06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
I actually sent ebay customer service an email because I think this violates their excessive shipping charges policy ala this example:

Sony 2 GB Memory Stick Pro Card
BIN: US $37.35
Shipping: US $26.99 Standard Shipping Service

Explanation: The seller states that the item will be shipped “Standard Shipping Service” and not an Overnight service. Given the small size/weight of this item, overall shipping charges are inflated.

Since the figures will be combined and he stated standard shipping service in his auction given it is not an overnight service and the small weight of the figures the charges are inflated.

I will also try the request user information route as well.

Thx

whitekite20
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Post deleted by James_F

Fit_Kisto
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
What the hell??

ClankTheRobot
06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
what am I looking at here???

sjr5740
06-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I think we need some serious mod action in the vintage forums. I don't even know what that is a picture of!!!

Jedi_Bri
06-23-2006, 01:49 AM
I would be patient with his response. If he does not combine shipping, I would not pay! I think combined shipping is expected unless a seller says they do not in their item descriptions. Handling fees are fine, but $30 for 6 figures is quite excessive.

I do beleive your seller just has not sent a combined shipping invoice yet though. Without them sending the invoice, ebay will just add up all the seperate charges as they did with your auctions i assume. Possibly the seller is taking the box to post office for an exact quote. I have seen ppl do this with every box they ship because they want to be exact with the shipping.

sjr5740
06-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I dunno it has been close to a week and I have requested an invoice twice. I just don't want to get hit with a non payment dispute because I have not problem paying for the figures I just have a problem paying such excessive shipping fees.

SJR

gratefulhan
06-23-2006, 11:28 PM
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this seller pre-packaged everything individually. The seller is probably mad because he/she has to open 5 packages and combine them now. The seller could also be attempting to make out the shipping as ohter have suggested. Well, a couple of theories to explain his/her actions.

I will admit that I not completely familiar with all of Ebay's policies and dispute resolution services but, I would guess that there will be two outcomes:
1.) With some possible mediation, a logical agreement can made. Which go from him combining shipping costs and you getting the items to both of you mutually agreeing to simply end the transaction.
2.) No agreement is met for what ever reason and you get slapped with a neg feedback and non paying bidder. He will probably leave you 5 negatives in that case, but it will only count against you 1 time becasue it is all from the same seller. As far as the non-paying bidder thing, well that sucks but it won't damage you as long you do not have any previous ones.

Bottom line is that you should not give up the fight on this one because irregardless of what the Ebay policy is, the seller is still wrong if they are trying to charge you that much for shipping. Hopefully, this person is just slow and you can get your figures with out any more hassle.

Rick

spoons
06-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Hi

I agree with everything said previously, but the bottom line is if they didn't state they offered postage discounts you don't have a leg to stand on. The problem with the e-bay excessive postage policy is that individually the pieces aren't excessive just almost excessive.

If he does send them as one package you may be alright, problem is you've now given him/her a heads up and I'll doubt they will do this.

If you wont pay the excessive postage just take the negative feedback and learn for next time.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Andy

sjr5740
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
At this point I don't even want to give the seller the business because he won't even respond to my emails so how do I know if he prepackaged everything or what is going on. He hasn't even sent me an invoice like I requested twice so if he cannot communicate then I have no reason to follow through on the transaction until he does let me know what he wants to do.

Jedi_Bri
06-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Agreed. If he wont even give you a simple explanation, then I wouldn't want to buy items either. Another thought, maybe he does not want to sell items now. Did your bid win at a good price. I have won an item before where my bid was low and the seller ignored me as if I never won any items. Like if he ignored me, the auction would just go away and disappear. Who knows. Good luck with that one.