PDA

View Full Version : Question on how to spot fake Uzay & YPS

Raamyah
06-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Hello fellow Scummers:

I am going to visit Germany this summer, and wanted to pick up as many Uzay figures and YPS figures while I am there. What are the best ways to spot fakes of these figures? I'd like to be armed with the latest info before I go. Do their weapons follow the same rules as the original Vintage line? I have never even seen one of these in person, so I'll be relying on the advice I get here.

Thanks to everyone who contributes, and if I find any I'll be sure to post pictures.

JohnA
06-08-2006, 01:15 PM
I am going to visit Germany this summer, and wanted to pick up as many Uzay figures and YPS figures while I am there.

It's not that easy. You seem as if you think UZAYs will be falling out of trees. They aren't even from Germany, they are from Turkey. Besides, if it were that easy don't you think all the German collectors would buy them up?

BTW I need a loose R2. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John

Raamyah
06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Ha!

No, I don't expect these figures to be falling out of trees, but it's a little more likely I would find something there, especially the YPS variant. Besides, we are going to visit some friends who are Turkish, as there is a large Turkish population in Germany. They may know where to go to find the Uzays. If not, I still get a cool trip to Germany and a chance to pick up some tri-Logo stuff.

mogwai26
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Ha!

No, I don't expect these figures to be falling out of trees, but it's a little more likely I would find something there, especially the YPS variant. Besides, we are going to visit some friends who are Turkish, as there is a large Turkish population in Germany. They may know where to go to find the Uzays. If not, I still get a cool trip to Germany and a chance to pick up some tri-Logo stuff.

dont want to destroy your dreams...but forget it...before you find some uzays here or even in turkey you win in a lottery...same chance...i had a turkish girlfriend
with cousins, aunts etc. in 3 big turkish citys...i let her ask around more than 1 time and also she helped me to register in a turkish starwars-board for translation so i spoke with a douzend of collectors there...to find uzays is also very difficult for people located in turkey...
for the yps-snowtrooper: you can forget it too, many germancollectors are visiting fleamarkets week for week to find 3-5 regular kennerfigures in a year with luck! there are no real vintage shops in germany in the size of The Earth or known places where you can buy vintage stuff...and if there is something like a mini-con the prizes are ebay-equal
a place where you really can find vintage starwars as a tourist with some help from inhabitans is Tokio in Japan, but in Germany? i am living 29years here, no way

Raamyah
06-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Wow. Thank you for the insight. I had someone in Spain tell me something similar. Too bad, but I can relax and enjoy the sights without having to scour the stores. However, people DO win the lottery every now and then...

Chad_D
06-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Well, for future reference, here is a web site I put together for this particular figure. This is the Loose variant page (http://www.geocities.com/chadmdowney/snowtroopers_loose.html). I pay for the site each month, so I might as well get some use out of it. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like to think it's a pretty comprehensive guide. Take a look at the COO and Weapons links on the left side. Each YPS/Trilogo figure also has a photo taken next to it's Kenner counterpart for comparison.

Chad

Raamyah
06-13-2006, 09:18 AM
That's a nice site. I didn't realize there were so many variations of this one figure. I assume that the white Uzay is the same sculpt as the blue one?

Thanks for the great page. I'll be telling my friends to go check it out.

Chad_D
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks,
Yes, the blue Uzay (AKA Bluestars) is the same sculpt as the white one, just cast in blue and painted a little differently. You can see pictures of the Bluestars under "Carded".

Chad

TEAMRICO
06-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I was stationed in Germany for 3 years and was hooked on the YPS Trooper, I managed to find about 3 or 4, mostly incomplete 2 Complete with original cape(SOLD one). These capes have ROUND HOLES not the "Dots and Slots" as I call them. The weapons will be either the Hoth Snowtrooper Gun OR a GI Joe Type "Action Force" variant weapon. I also managed to score an Original YPS Comic #510 on German Ebay while there. If you scour German Ebay by typing in YPS #510 you may have some luck.
The YPS Trooper had minor mold variations mainly in the eyes itself. Also so if you hold an original Kenner Hoth Snowtrooper side by side you can tell the differences immediatly in the chest area. Plus the fact that the COO was etched out of the original mold leaving the "Scar" on the back of the leg. Thats how I discovered the variant and did research to actually ID the YPS Trooper. I may, have one loose and incomplete if you are interested for reference if youd like, NO CAPE OR WEAPON, just the figure.
I have to check for you, as I have stuff in boxes still unpacked. It may be yellowed a bit.
PM me if you like some photos and comparison shots and scans of the comic book itslef.
Hunting for this guy is going to be a challenge but if you hit up local Flea Markets (FLOHMARKTS) and hole in the wall comic and antique shops then you may have a chance. But I would check GERMAN EBAY first.
Nathan