PDA

View Full Version : Heads up ! New repo POTF Anakin from you know who.

Bantha5
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
I knew this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Vintage-Star-Wars-1985-POTF-Anakin-Skywalker-MOC_W0QQitemZ6063097043QQihZ009QQcategoryZ52335QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) was coming, poon has been buying up loose Anakins for awhile now. He did mark it as a replica on the back. I hate to say it, but I'm impressed. The inner and outer bubble real look good. Still this can't be good for the hobby. Ryan

D. Martin
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
great.

Matt_T
06-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Wow that is impressive. I'd like to see what those custom cast coins look like in person.

JohnA
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I actually applaud him for *finally* listening and marking it. However, I don't like the idea of aluminum coins. That could be bad if others are made.

John

Bantha5
06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
John, I don't think you have to worry to much about the coins. As you know the original coins were die-struck. That gives them a very distinct look with very sharp details. In his description he state the coin is cast aluminum. When an item is cast it needs to be polished, you can even see the buff marks in the last pics of the coin(tails side). Polishing will give it a very different look and blunt the fine details. It also looks as if there is even some polishing compound remaining in the fine details of his finished coin. The coin looks very nice, but I don't think it could be passed off as the real deal. Ryan

iHu
06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
That does look pretty nice. Scandalous! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

liquidgold
06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
maybe we will soon need a new forum heading "vintage-repro"...

AJ_van_Zelst
06-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Damn!

Though I'm against these kind of customs, I have to say he did a great job in recreating the item. I already was impressed by his carded Vlix (apart from knowing that the figure was a "cleaned" version of Ryan). His Boba was good to.

Fortunately the items he has made untill now usualy are AFA graded, and thus people tend to only buy them graded. But there always be people who will be dupped by these.

Time will tell.

-Alex

Leif_G
06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Hmmm... am I seeing this right... is that punch not a POTF proof style punch?

Leif

dinorider
06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm against these as well. Really Really against them. Doesn't matter how he argues his case about it being 'ethical' or what not.

Leif_G
06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
As much as I dislike that fact that some people will try to use items like this to scam others, I have to say that I at least appreciate the effort he has made to make his fan art distinguishable. Placing a label on this item shows me that at least he is making an effort to keep his items from being abused.

Let's face it, on eBay dishonest people steal pictures of legitimate items and rip others off every day. They don't need a custom piece to commit the crime. The responsibility for such criminal acts falls on the shoulders of the persons perpetrating the crimes, and those that willfully enable them. We don't outlaw makers of knives or bullets or hold them criminally accountable for knife or gun violence, but we do expect them to adhere to specific product standards.

Look at the 'Blue Harvest' stuff. Although producing them was a criminal act from Kenner's point of view, for collectors those items seem more highly regarded than other fake prototypes. The people who originally made them to sell to collectors as actual prototypes were commiting a crime in my books. But today people are more informed and the Blue Harvest pieces are not regarded as much as tools of criminals as they are a tantilizing reflection of an actual prototype.

I'm not saying Poon's customs are comparable to Blue Harvest pieces by any stretch, just making the point that in society we don't always condemn the tools, or even the makers, just because others abuse them. If people are to be considered accomplices of a crime it is because they are at least not demonstrating a will to avert criminal activity. I believe placing that label on his fan art is a significant step in the right direction.

If he wanted to sell these as originals there's no doubt in mind he could, and that he would make more money doing it. Makers of 'Fan Art' are not going away, so what's a better alternative... that they are honest and make an effort to distinguish their items from real ones... or not?

JohnA
06-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Dakk,

I think you should take some time to read all of the markpoon arguments on this board. Though he did mark this one it's a first and the others he created caused a really big fuss on this board because of the disrespectful way he badgered people to get scans of thier proof cards after numerous refusals to help.

John

Leif_G
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Dakk,

I think you should take some time to read all of the markppon arguments on this board. Though he did mark this one it's a first and the others he created caused a really big fuss on this board because of the disrespectful way he badgered people to get scans of thier proof cards after numerous refusals to help.

John

Hi John,

I have read several older Mark Poon related threads and believe me... I'm no fan of customs in general and I'm not defending the way Mark Poon has dealt with people here. But I do applaud this step of marking this new piece and hopefully it's a continuing practice. In terms of dealing with the reality of the situation, it is at least a tangible improvement.

JohnA
06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
But I do applaud this step of marking this new piece and hopefully it's a continuing practice. In terms of dealing with the reality of the situation, it is at least a tangible improvement.

I couldn't agree more.

John

Lee_Gray
06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
It sure does look good, even though i would never buy a custom myself , it makes you wonder how many top quality customs have slipped through the net without the buyer knowing

Yehuda_K
06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
although I do applaud the item being marked as a custom, many are not.
This technology has changed the way that many of us collect. I ccurrently only buy rare items that are from a very reliable source, or items that are AFA graded.
I pass up most of the good bargain finds.

Jedi_Bri
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Same here. When shopping on ebay for a carded jawa vinyl cape, most of the time it is a recard or a stolen picture used in the auction. Truly hard to buy high priced items nowdays when dealing on ebay.

Kyle_B
06-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I could tell right off teh bat it was fake, the bubbles WAY to big to be Anakin's. Funny thing is, Poon asked me for detailed pictures of my Anakins a few months ago. I wonder who gave in and gave him them? When looking for a POTF Anakin just make sure the bubble doesnt take up the whole orange area and you should be fine. Also keep note that 99% of the Anakins have yellow bubbles.

Lennysweet
06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
I am the proud owner of one of Poon's Anakins. I just recieved it a couple days ago and was very impressed with the attention to detail and quality of materials. I have been purchasing customs from various sellers on Ebay for quite awhile but Poon's have always been the highest quality and most accurate. If you can afford to buy the real thing, more power to you. If you want the next best thing, look for a quality replica, hes the guy that makes them the best. No, not "every" detail is exact, but at least he had the integrity to print "replica" on the back and sell it accordingly. It was worth alot to me because I know his art and can appreciate it, call me crazy but I could care less about the size of the bubble as long as its clean and sealed nicely. Anyway, I give the Anakin a 10! Its by far the nicest custom carded in my collection.

MTFBWY,
Lennysweet

Ian_C
06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
at least he had the integrity to print "replica" on the back and sell it accordingly.

Perhaps you missed the part where this is the exception to his selling, and not the rule?

I have had many opportunities to buy 'replica' items, for WAY less than originals, but I feel the negatives to the hobby far exceed the positives in allowing these things ANY market share.

Ian

Speed_Racer
06-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I am the proud owner of one of Poon's Anakins. I just recieved it a couple days ago and was very impressed with the attention to detail and quality of materials. I have been purchasing customs from various sellers on Ebay for quite awhile but Poon's have always been the highest quality and most accurate. If you can afford to buy the real thing, more power to you. If you want the next best thing, look for a quality replica, hes the guy that makes them the best. No, not "every" detail is exact, but at least he had the integrity to print "replica" on the back and sell it accordingly. It was worth alot to me because I know his art and can appreciate it, call me crazy but I could care less about the size of the bubble as long as its clean and sealed nicely. Anyway, I give the Anakin a 10! Its by far the nicest custom carded in my collection.

MTFBWY,
Lennysweet

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the item. Here's some pics of mine. The coin and blister on this one are actually samples that Mark received from the factory. Yours was made with the production versions.

http://images.andale.com/f2/117/105/12417316/1149311952794_Anakin_Recard_Front.jpg
http://images.andale.com/f2/117/105/12417316/1147252567758_Anakin_Recard_Back.jpg

Lennysweet
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Trust me, I'm only a newbie when it comes to posting on RS, I just cant find the time in the day to keep up. I have been collecting a long, long time I'd like to think my opinion should count for something. Guess I shouldnt expect a whole lot of respect until I've posted 10000+ times but for what its worth, the repro Anakin is beautiful and dare I say it, better made than the production figure. Its like buying a restored 65 Ferrari, Sure, not all the parts are the originals but the modern upgrades like A/C & an FM Radio are certainly better than the original and can be overlooked my someone who isnt a hardcore fundalmentalist and who just appreciates the time and effort involved in the restoration. I also have alot of respect for collectors who won't accept anything less than the real McCoy. I bought a custom droids boba fett and never really liked it, so after years of searching I finally scored one only the bubble was yellowed and cracked and card was creased a little. Sure the repro was a perfect example but the original completed my set, and that is what drives me to keep collecting. Since I know I'll never have a complete vintage carded set, I'll take an artistic repro any day. Having said all that, if I do hit the lottery someday, and go banana's buying vintage carded, I would probably put all of my repros in a box a sell them on Ebay. My priorities have to be to my family first, and always will be, this pretty much eliminates any possibility of my spending thousands on a figure, bummer huh?

JohnA
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Guess I shouldnt expect a whole lot of respect until I've posted 10000+ times

Posts are just a number. Guys like Gus Lopez have only a handful of posts and I respect them greatly. Don't get hung up on numbers. Quality of post matter more than numbers.

but for what its worth, the repro Anakin is beautiful and dare I say it, better made than the production figure. Its like buying a restored 65 Ferrari, Sure, not all the parts are the originals but the modern upgrades like A/C & an FM Radio are certainly better than the original and can be overlooked my someone who isnt a hardcore fundalmentalist

I don't think that's a fair analogy. Since the figure is the only thing real I'd say it's it's like buying the seats of a 65 Ferrari stuck into a completely replica frame, chasis, etc. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't get me wrong, none of us would begrudge you for buying it. Our main beef has always been with Mark himself. He does great work but his tactics have always been a bit abrasive. He's not made too many fans on this board... well... except for Speedracer. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Tyler_H
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
but for what its worth, the repro Anakin is beautiful and dare I say it, better made than the production figure. Its like buying a restored 65 Ferrari, Sure, not all the parts are the originals but the modern upgrades like A/C & an FM Radio are certainly better than the original and can be overlooked my someone who isnt a hardcore fundalmentalist

I don't think that's a fair analogy. Since the figure is the only thing real I'd say it's it's like buying the seats of a 65 Ferrari stuck into a completely replica frame, chasis, etc. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

HAHA.. Love that analogy John.. It fits perfectly...

Kyle_B
06-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Heres a real one for you guys to compare it to.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/yodasmaster/untitled.jpg

David_J
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
At long last a picture of a real one so we can see the error of our ways in telling the difference between custom and fake

Ian_C
06-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Guess I shouldnt expect a whole lot of respect until I've posted 10000+ times

Posts are just a number. Guys like Gus Lopez have only a handful of posts and I respect them greatly. Don't get hung up on numbers. Quality of post matter more than numbers.

Absolutely. There are some guys who have reached 5000 posts in less than six months, and I keep wishing they'd drop out of the hobby for the immaturity and stupidity they put into their posting habits.

I find the more a person worries about their post count, the less likely they are going to be worthwhile contributing members.

Don't get me wrong, none of us would begrudge you for buying it. Our main beef has always been with Mark himself. He does great work but his tactics have always been a bit abrasive. He's not made too many fans on this board... well... except for Speedracer. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Excellent analogy.

Lenny, I didn't mean to offend. Sure, I can appreciate the exquisite attention to detail in these replicas. They are a thing of beauty, and it takes a definite level of talent I nowhere near possess to do this. It's just my opinion that the final product, while flashy, is little more than a glorified loose figure.

Ian