PDA

View Full Version : Warning to eBay Users - Keep On The Lookout!

Jedi_Rainman
05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
I was recently bidding on a Mace Windu SE AP and of course, I lost the auction. A few days later, I got a 2nd chance offer for the initial $1,000 I had bid and that included insurance and shipping. All seemed well as I kept in contact with the seller, but then something hit me, how could I have a 2nd chance offer when there were atleast 6 or 7 people with higher bids than me, plus in my eBay account in the "My Messages" section, there was NO 2nd chance offer in there as I know it always has been which made me suspicious. I contacted the seller directly by getting his eBay info and his response to me was "sorry, that saber is gone! thanks" http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Something else that stuck out like a sore thumb was the fact that in the auction, PayPal was accepted, but the e-mail 2nd chance offer stated he would only take Western Union Money Transfers and that he was overseas currently and that once the money had been transfered, that his wife would ship it to me directly from the USA. One more thing that made the e-mail look legit was the fact that all of the links were the exact links that eBay used their e-mails, so be aware!

I have since forwarded every single e-mail to eBay and they declared all of them "spoof" or phish" e-mails. I just wanted to make sure the prop community new and old members were aware of this scamming, so they would not become a victim. As alot of people here on the boards say, "If its too good to be true, then it probably is!"

If by chance you ever question an e-mail that you received from an auction, forward it to spoof@ebay.com and they will get back with you in a matter of minutes!

Thanks Guys/Gals,

Jedi_Rainman

*Special Thanks to "growltyger"

Vedder818
05-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the tip. You also helped me out when I had a question about a possible paypal scam (which it was) Thanks again.

Mastercoco
05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
This really brings up how secure those ebay direct message contact really is? recently when people try to msg me or when I try to msg the other ppl by using my ebay account, the other person doesn't seem to be getting the message. Instead I get a copy of my own message and it looks like I messaged to myself. But when I check under sent messages, it did show that it was sent from my account name to the other person's account name. Even after making everything so "secured" and difficult to handle, those spoof messages still gets through. Ebay really needs to do a better job at this to make it a safer community.

diason3
05-18-2006, 06:59 AM
I had a similar problem come up a couple months ago. A person kept sending a message to my email saying that he has never bid on any of my auctions. He kept sending them until one day he sent an email asking why I was bugging him. Apparently someone was emailing him, posing as me telling him that he had to pay for an auction item. He gave me the auction # and I did a search of the auction#. The search came up with nothing. I told him to send all of the emails that he recieved to Ebay's security department. Apparently, they took care of everything because he has not contacted me in a long time. Since then I have changed a lot of info on ebay so that it never happens again to me.

Darth_Vexed
05-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Good catch! And thanks for the warning!!!

sithmasterjedi
05-18-2006, 07:17 AM
I read about a similar scam on spawn. but get this, the link he clicked on to report spam was also a set up. the spam report never made it through to ebay or something like that. I can post a link if it's against the rules I guess philip or one of the mods can edit it.

Jedi_Rainman
05-18-2006, 07:18 AM
I'd say that if you intend to report spam or these e-mails, then make sure you log into your eBay account first and then send it. That way you know that you are actually on eBay and sending it to the proper people, not the scammer...

Actually, do as eBay states...Type in the URL http://www.ebay.com and then log in that way you know your on the official site!

sithmasterjedi
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM
exactly

growltyger
05-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Sorry it didn't work out, since I know you really were hoping for the saber, and it sounded like such a great deal. At least you still have the money for something else, and I'm sure something as good or cooler will eventually turn up.

I'm always a little nervous about ebay second chance offers.

Darth_Vexed
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
As Jedi Rainman said, legit offers will come through eBay's My Messages. That's a sure way to know it's real.

As far as wondering about them... 2nd chance offers are a great tool for sellers! Let's say you have 5 of the same item... If you list them all up at one time, you've likely flooded the market and will probably not maximize what you could make. Plus you have 5 listing fees and 5 end of auction fees.

However, if you just list one item up. The other 4 winners are forced to bid on that one item, and the price will likely go for more. Then the seller can choose to make several offers to the runners up if he likes the bids they made. Also, the seller only incurs end of auction fees for these items if the runner up accepts, and there's no listing fees!

Plus with 2nd chance offers, once accepted, they show in eBay just as if you had won the item. So you can still get and leave feedback, etc...

ortiz34
05-18-2006, 01:59 PM
1.I got one of those last year for a 1:1 han carbonite, i didnt bite

2.all the more reason to ONLY pay via paypal for online purchases.

3.as always, if you arent sure the transaction will succeed, dont do it, there will always be another one
(that goes for buying from classifieds here as well as ebay)

pmrjulio
05-18-2006, 02:01 PM
That seems to be a common "modus operandi" for frauds, as you have a list of people that want that item.
It happened to me with a Maul saber, but the person was accepting Paypal. Beware these MAY come from E-bay directly, as the scam I suffered did.

The chain of events is scary:
1. Did not win auction, I was offered 2nd chance offer. I pay.
2. Send message to seller, never answers.
3. Feedback start droping like a rock (98-97-95-95-94%)
4. Freak-out! E-mailed back, no reply.
5. Filed complaint with paypal.
6. Received message from another buyer: "Did you received a 2nd offer from (fake name)? He scam us and 7 more buyers"
7. Someone answers back the Paypal complaint: "It was not me. Someone stole my account".
8. Paypal answers: "You won the case, but no funds recovered".
8. Call Credit card: Credit received.
9. Paypal send a e-mail: "We received information you filed a claim with your credit card. You should file a claim with us". They forget to say they suck on it. For the claim to work, the seller needs to have a positive feedback of 96% or more more and have a positive balance in their account, AND you will be charged $25 by Paypal.

But another story happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Anyway, I paid an item with DIRECT FUNDS from account balance (Person had 98% positive over 600 transactions).
Item never received.
I E-mailed seller multiple times: nothing.
Seller changes username (never good).
I requested info from seller (E-bay) AND found sellers address using internet.
Multiple calls and e-mails were sent.
File a complaint with paypal.
Seller closes E-bay account.
More calls and e-mails were sent.
Happy ending: the seller credited me back.

I'm so lucky!. As I did not suffer the $25 claim fee from Paypal.
Now unless I know the seller, no direct funds payments. And beware of sellers that have 5-10 negative feedbacks monthly(specifically it they are about not sent items).

growltyger
05-18-2006, 02:12 PM
This really doesn't surprise me. I'm sure the credit card immediately after crediting you, took the money from paypal. Paypal as a business is in it to make money, if they can get you to pay $25 to file a claim, that's $25 more they have made. I think your credit card is more likey to try to protect you, because you can easily switch to a different CC company, paypal at the moment doesn't have as much competition.

9. Paypal send a e-mail: "We received information you filed a claim with your credit card. You should file a claim with us". They forget to say they suck on it. For the claim to work, the seller needs to have a positive feedback of 96% or more more and have a positive balance in their account, AND you will be charged $25 by Paypal.

Jedi_Rainman
05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Indeed...If you do pay with PayPal, use a Credit Card to do so and make sure the seller has a CONFIRMED address

05-18-2006, 02:23 PM
It's nice to know that email address. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks!
I haven't had any problems like that yet, but I'm sure something wil come up at some point.

Jedi_Rainman
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey, no problem...

I'm glad this thread is helping others out...Just doing my part in trying to give back to the community! I figured that I'm not the only person to get these spoof/phish e-mails and that this would help to keep people informed on what to do and what not to do! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif