PDA

View Full Version : New "Question from Ebay Member" Email Scam

bobodohn
05-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Not sure if this one has been covered, but it's new to me...

I received an email disguised as a question from an Ebay member regarding an item I was supposedly selling. It looked very legit... even with a "link" to the item in question. Since I have no auctions up at this time, it sparked my interest and I clicked on the link. That sent me to the "Ebay sign in page." And, yep, I fell for it and signed in. I didn't realize it was a fake until after I signed in, it took me to a random, legitimate Ebay Seller's page. Then, I noticed that the original "item" link on the email was directing me to some foreign site (something I usually check on these types of emails prior to clicking).

I quickly went back into Ebay and changed my password.

Just a heads up!

Leif_G
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes, this has been going on for awhile now. I think it's been discussed in a few threads here already but it sure doesn't hurt to discuss it some more. I'm quite certain many more people need to hear about it yet.

philraymond
05-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I make it a rule to NEVER click on any ebay links in emails from ebay members or click on any links that come in emails relating to paypal and/or ebay in any way.

Go directly to ebay to read and respond to all messages. Go directly to paypal to manage that account. Never ever click on links in emails to take you to those sites.

Phil

BillCable
05-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I got tagged by the same exact scam. Luckily I realized what was going on and went in to change my password before they could hijack my account. This one was particularly clever - the URL of the link started http://cgi.ebay.com/. I've never seen one like that. Now I know.

gorkoracing
05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I received this very email yesterday. I noticed it was full of a lot of code as my emails from ebay usually are but show the pictures and such at the bottom of the emails this one did not have that so I thought that was odd. I read back through all the code and found that message saying hey i'm interesting in an item of yours let me know about a deal or something like that. Odd because i have nothing for sale but i thought MAYBE it was another member who saw something i won and wanted to try to buy it off me so I clicked a link in the code which took me to that faked ebay login page. I looked at the address and it was definately not an ebay signin address so I closed it and deleted the email. I would post the link up here to warn people but i'd be afraid someone wouldnt read these posts and click on it and get duped and I dont wanna help whoever is doing this scam out.

craignwo4life
05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I seem to get these quite often from "seemingly" ebay and paypal.

Whenever I get anything slightly suspicious I always forward it to ebays spoof e-mail address to let them deal with it!!

Mike_S
05-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I've noticed a few of these emails in my inbox in the past week or two.
I never open them, delete them straight away.