PDA

View Full Version : Ebay trolls

tykrazen
05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I just had this happen to me and I need to vent --

Last week I sold a rarish vintage Star Wars item. Prior to the auction end a bidder e-mailed me and asked if I could reduce my shipping costs. I explained I couldn't as they were the prices I was quoted by the post office and that if they felt the shipping was too high, they should factor that in if they decided to bid. The person bids and wins the auction.

I then receive an e-mail from them telling me my shipping charges are too high and that I must reduce them or they would leave negative feedback. I refused. The next day I received negative feedback. I opened a non-payment dispute and I offered that if the person provided a postage paid box, I would waive the shipping charges -- they still refused and threatened to take me to safe harbor.

Here's where it gets really interesting. I listed out the breakdown of my shipping costs:

Postage $4.25
Delivery Confirm $0.35
Box & Bubble wrap $0.65
Insurance $1.35.

He then told me there was no need for insurance or delivery confirmation (I should mention that his feedback left for others is full of negatives for damaged item complaints so no way was I waiving those) and THAT I COULDN'T CHARGE FOR the box or bubble wrap!

I pointed out that ebay does allow for cost of packaging to be included in the fee. Nothing I was doing was violating ebay policy. I asked again why he felt he didn't have to pay the invoice.

He started sending ranting responses that included a slur against me and an exclamation that he would fight to the very end against all sellers that overcharge on shipping. (Obviously I had become the target of his personal vendetta).

Then came the coup de grace. An explicit and threatening e-mail to me. Obviously he has been reported to both his ISP provider and to ebay safe harbor. You always hear about buyers being bullied by sellers, but I feel like I'm the only seller ever bullied by a buyer.

What's even more bizarre is there is a trail of feedbacks he has left against other sellers, charging them with the same thing (overcharging for shipping) and every single one of them gave into the guy. I don't get it.

Have any other ebay sellers here been the target of a "crusader" like this?

Chad_D
05-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Sounds like a turd to me. I wouldn't give in. He's in the wrong.

Jedi_Bri
05-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I never understand why someone complains about shipping charges if they are clearly stated up front (which they were you said). You should not have to explain yourself one bit on the breakdown of the shipping. Whether a seller wants to charge $10 to ship a $1 box, that is his preference. As long as the seller clearly states that shipping cost up front in item description, there is NO reason a buyer can gripe about it.

A buyer can easily work this shipping price into his bid. If he cannot do the math, then that is his problem IMO. It just really gets on my nerves when a buyer starts quoting ebay policy saying " you cant charge me for handling". Well, ya know what, A seller can charge for handling. Maybe that seller pays a packing service. Or maybe he doesnt want to spend 10 hours a week packing boxes for free. No matter what the reason, any shipping stated up front prior to bidding cannot be disputed.

I do get upset when buying off ebay and the auction says "shipping to be determined at auction end". Then after auction, the seller says $8 to ship a loose figure. I have a little bit of a beef with that.

As far as your problem, some buyers just cannot be satisfied. They think only one sided. These type of people should really find better use of their time rather than spend it trying to bicker over a couple dollars when they knew good and well what the shipping was to start.

There, how bout that for my little rant of the day. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Valeda_Kor
05-02-2006, 07:38 AM
You may be able to get the feedback removed. Here is part of eBay's policy:

Feedback left by a member who bid on or purchased an item solely to have the opportunity to leave negative feedback for the seller, with no intention of completing the transaction.

He obviously knew your policies, and elected to bid on the item, and then I'm very sure planned to neg you if you didn't give in to his demands.

Report this to eBay. The link is too long, or I would post it. But if you go to the Help section, type in "feedback removal." The first topic concerns Feedback Abuse. Click on that, and at the bottom is a link to fill out the form.

Use small words (LOL), and you'll want to copy the text from his abusive e-mails. That will help. Good luck!

tykrazen
05-02-2006, 09:04 AM
This has been reported to ebay for several reasons including the ones you mentioned -- this guy is clearly in violation of ebay policies -- I just hope ebay does take action against him. I'd hate to see him do this again to another seller.

gratefulhan
05-02-2006, 12:19 PM
This has been reported to ebay for several reasons including the ones you mentioned -- this guy is clearly in violation of ebay policies -- I just hope ebay does take action against him. I'd hate to see him do this again to another seller.

Hey,
Do not give up this one. It sounds as though this person has managed to get away with this scam for a while now and he probably believes that this situation will have the same result. Essentially, other sellers have enabled this person to get away with this for a while and he will try it again. This person really needs a good a$#-wooping.

Since you already have filed non-payer and other complaints with Ebay, I would suggest one other thing: Keep him angry. I would start with negative feedback if you haven't already done so, to act as warning for other future sellers. I would also relist your item and make sure you put him on the blocked bidder's list. Hey, why lose money over this person? One final thing would be to periodically send him emails concerning the situation. I would say that you should keep a professional tone in your emails and save all of his responces.
Basically all of this will enfuriate him even more and it will really help build your case up against him. I'm not saying that you don't have a good case right now, but if Ebay is slow to act, then you can send this huge list of email responses and hopefully that will speed things up a bit. I know all of this sounds bad but you can attempt to use his anger against him. This reminds of Enter the Dragon when Bruce Lee demonstrates the art of "fighting without fighting", if you get the reference...

I'll admit, I could be wrong with suggesting this, but in the end what is the worse that can happen, he stays mad at you? The bottom line is that he shouldn't get away with stuff anymore.
Rick

iHu
05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Amazing, the stupid crap people go through to save $2, or is that 65 cents? What a no-life lowlife. F that guy for even stressing you out about it.

Bryan_X
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
What's his Ebay username?

Xx_Ice_xX
05-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, what is his username and email?

Doug23
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
It's strange how anyone can say you're not allowed to charge for the box and bubble wrap when it's listed as P & P, Postage AND Packaging and not just postage. I've been lucky not to run in to this myself, I just had a guy ask if I could reduce the price any further on multiple bids, I eplained that it was the lowest I could possibly go and laid out the cost much as you did. He accepted and that was that.
I don't want to sound pushy but I think you should post his ebay user name so other people can avoid dealing with him.

Hope it works out for you mate. If not, send him an empty box with a note advising he send this to next person he deals with if he feels he's being conned.

All the best.

tykrazen
05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm still waiting for ebay to take action on this so I'm not posting username at the moment -- once they finally respond, I'll post it here so everyone can block this loon.