PDA

View Full Version : KCLS Star Wars Program

Lord_Bobster
04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Howdy all!

I have posted about this on the Area Finds thread but I figured I would make the official announcement here. I also want to try to start to pin down the content of this program.

First, a little history:
My wife and I have a good friend by the name of Dawn Rutherford. She is a Young Adult Librarian with the King County Library System (KCLS). She is very involved with various forms of literature and multimedia, among those being movies, graphic novels, ect. and she participates with these issues on the national level. She is also one of the most coooolest people that I know.

She approached me about doing a Star Wars program for the kids. It will probably be at the Lake Hills Library sometime in July or August, whatever would work out for all of us to be there. The basic format would be approximately one to one and a half hours of three to five different presentations on the stuff that all of us do with Star Wars. Each presentation segment would last around 15 to 20 minutes. Afterwords, a question and answer session at different little kiosks in the meeting room (something like having a table set up with some stuff) that could go on for about another hour or so.

Here were some subjects that were brainstormed:
*The Myth of Star Wars: How Lucas came up with it and how this story still resonates with us.
*Star Wars Literature: Books, Comics, and how the written and graphic novel mediums have filled in the gaps in the action within the Star Wars Universe.
*Costuming and Prop Building: Researching, gathering materials, and building your own props, costumes, and accessories. Also, joining the various clubs (501st, Rebel Legion, etc.) and the programs that they do.
*Collecting: What you collect and why you do it. Could also entail how to start, knowing who you are trading with, reputable dealers, and the evolution of the toys and collectable markets.

This, of course, is just a basic outline and any and all suggestions will be considered. I figured with all the fellow fans, costumers, and super-collectors in the area that we all know we could really make this a great event!

You can either PM me or contact the genius who is Dawn Rutherford. Her contact information is as follows:

Work Phone: 425-747-3507 (She's available Monday, Wednesday & Thursday)

E-Mail: drutherf@kcls.org (Best Option)

Thanks in advance to all those who would like to share our passion with others who would like to do the same.

Looking forward to participating with ya'all!

Bob Benedetti

Lord_Bobster
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Great News!

The date has been set: August 4th, 2006 at the Lake Hills Library in beautiful Bellevue!

See ya all there. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dr_Zoltar
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Excellent! Bobster, would you mind posting reminders as the date draws near?

Lord_Bobster
06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
No Problem!

I'll keep ya'all posted!

Lord_Bobster
07-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Here's a reminder...

Friday, August 4th at 4:00PM to 6:00PM!

Contact Dawn if interested!

Thanks Much!

CrackTroops
07-24-2006, 04:58 AM
so we just show up? since its in bellevue its actually a possibility i might go to it...

Lord_Bobster
07-24-2006, 10:18 AM
You can just show up or you can do a presentation!

I highly suggest giving Dawn a call or e-mailing her for more info!

Thanks!

Dr_Zoltar
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Here's some additional info Dawn sent me:

Well, one of my teens asked for a Star Wars program, and I thought of Bob and his enthusiasm. Basically, I have the meeting room reserved for the afternoon, and the schedule says the program is from 3:30 on (we close at 6 on Fridays). I have no idea if there will be a lot of kids, or none...teen programming is incredibly frustrating that. What I told Bob is he can organize whatever the thinks will be fun and entertaining for teens. I think he had in mind different folks doing 20 minute talks about things they are passionate about, which is fine with me. But I'm totally flexable. Want to put up a display and talk about why things are interesting/rare? Cool. Want to talk about what it means to be a hard-core Star Wars geek? Go for it, just make it fun, is all I ask.

Does that help? Basically, it is a bit of a free-for-all, vaguely organized by Bob. Keep it clean and under the time limitations, and all should be good.

Feel free to email me with questions.

I am working hard to get the time off work to make it. But my company has a product they are trying to get out by August 7th and being in the QA department means we get slammed right before release dates. I won't know until next week if I can make it, but the desire is there. Is anyone else planning on going? In costume or not?

Lord_Bobster
07-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Vaguely organized by Bob.

To say the least! Here's the Kicker: I have to leave town that night for Recurrent training along with other things so I get shafted on this one.

Please help Dawn since I have trouble just getting home.

Thanks all!

Dr_Zoltar
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Well I for one will do my utmost to attend. The problem being I'm working on a project and I won't know until Thursday if I can get off early on Friday to make the drive to Bellevue. I think she wants us there by 4 pm at the latest, earlier if we need to change into costumes or something.

So, is anyone else going? I don't know if I can fill up two hours just by myself.

MaxWedge
07-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I plan to be there with some comics and trade paperbacks and EU novels, prepared to talk about story lines outside of the box office movies. I just e-mailed Dawn.

I'll bring 1 or both of my kids (ready made audience!) http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoshEEE
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Does she still want costumers? I can post this date on the 501st boards to see if I can get anyone interested in coming. It's a work night and right during rush hour, so it's going to be really tough, but I may be able to.

Lord_Bobster
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Anything goes!

All are welcome on this one.

Thanks all!

Dr_Zoltar
07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Go for it Josh. If I can make it, I will be bringing my Qui-Gon Jedi outfit.

JoshEEE
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I've just put it up on the GT/Alpha Base boards. I'll see if I can rustle up a few Jedi/Troopers for this. The question I have is has this been advertised at all? I know I only just saw the date (it was buried in a post I hadn't seen)....but I'm wondering if anyone there knows that this is coming? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dr_Zoltar
08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Here's the location: http://www.kcls.org/lh/direct.cfm

A little closer for you MS guys. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MaxWedge
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
From the Lake Hills Library website, here's the description of the event:

Event Type: Teen Programs
Date: 8/4/2006
Start Time: 3:30 PM
End Time: 5:30 PM
Description: Is the Force strong within you? Or do you just love the Star Wars movies, comics, books and cartoons and want to learn more? Members of the local Star Wars enthusiast society will be here to talk about all things Star Wars, their amazing personal collections of Star Wars memorabilia and much, much more! Costumes strongly encouraged!
Library: Lake Hills Library
Contact Number: 425.747.3350

MaxWedge
08-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Here's the highlights of today's meeting:

The meeting was attended by me, Dr. Zoltar and a member of Alpha Base. The latter two wore their Jedi costumes. There were about 8 teens attending and Beth. We talked about costuming, collecting, books, movies, and gaming. Most attendees stayed for the entire 2 hours and thanked us as they left. It felt a little like one of our monthly meetings, just a bunch a people talking about Star Wars. We were asked a lot of questions, so the interest in Star Wars was definitely there!

Dr_Zoltar
08-05-2006, 11:19 PM
It was good and Dawn was very appreciative of our participation. The students that were there seemed very interested in our topics.

And thanks for the comic!