PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow PF figures and real hair

JimCorrigan
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
I really don't want to be one of those people that complain, especially since I really like the PF figures released so far.

But, how much cooler would the Luke, Han and especially Leia figues have been with "real" hair? (It does'nt have to be real human hair, but a real hairlike substance.)

I mean, even Barbie dolls have a full head of hair on them and those cost, what? 20 bucks? A far cry from $275 per figure.

Now I know that these are technically "statues", and that's true, but they are also something more as they have real cloth costumes. So why not go ahead and give them some hair too?

And as long as I'm complaining, how come the Grevious's lightsabers don't light up like Vader and Obi-Wan's?

riv
02-14-2006, 02:34 AM
It's because "real" hair is impossible to style in a realistic fashion at that scale. Same reason why 90% of figures with real fabric clothing just don't look right.

Why do you suppose Ken has plastic hair? Barbie has "real hair" because it can be long and hang limp. No styling required. Short, men's hair would be impossible to do anything with.

SiteC
02-14-2006, 03:23 AM
I think real hair looks bad enough on 12" dolls, I can't see it looking any better on a figure twice that size. The only thing with real hair I want to see in premium format is Chewbacca or a Wampa, which they wont ever do http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for grievous' sabers, I'd imagine since he was such a difficult character to realize as a statue as is, including electronics would have comprimised the sculpt.

JimCorrigan
02-14-2006, 12:56 PM
It's because "real" hair is impossible to style in a realistic fashion at that scale.

Why do you suppose Ken has plastic hair? Barbie has "real hair" because it can be long and hang limp. No styling required. Short, men's hair would be impossible to do anything with.

I'm sorry but this is the year 2006. We've got robots on Mars, 3" thick plasma monitors that you can hang on your wall, an underwater hotel in Dubai and doctors just did a face transplant on a woman.

And yet we can't get realistic looking hair on a 20" statue?

I would guess the reason Ken has plastic hair has more to do with cost than the actual ability to do it. Maybe that's the reason the PF figures don't have hair?

Who knows, maybe you're right Riv. I just think it would be cool.

JimCorrigan
02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
The only thing with real hair I want to see in premium format is Chewbacca or a Wampa, which they wont ever do http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oh man. How cool would THAT be.

riv
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry but this is the year 2006. We've got robots on Mars, 3" thick plasma monitors that you can hang on your wall, an underwater hotel in Dubai and doctors just did a face transplant on a woman.

And yet we can't get realistic looking hair on a 20" statue?

I would guess the reason Ken has plastic hair has more to do with cost than the actual ability to do it. Maybe that's the reason the PF figures don't have hair?

Who knows, maybe you're right Riv. I just think it would be cool.

And just like those other advancements, I'm sure realistic hair on dolls/statues is high up there on the list of "achievements" we as a species should be currently striving for http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In all seriousness though- go buy any doll with lifelike hair, and then cut it short and see how easily it can be styled. The shorter the hair, the more rigid it becomes. In order to scale down human hair and style it the same way, the width would need to be reduced as well- from something like 20-100 microns to maybe the width of 1 micron or less.

Somehow I don't see Sideshow or any other company pioneering the technology to fabricate and attach hair at a microscopic level. Even if the technology existed, I'm sure the expense would make it prohibitive for mass-produced "toys".

The sad truth is not everything scales equally.

elwood49
02-14-2006, 09:36 PM
It's because "real" hair is impossible to style in a realistic fashion at that scale.

It's definitely not impossible, just prohibitively expensive. Check out the Cinemaquette T-850 from Terminator 3 as an example of that. It uses real hair that is hand punched, and looks EXACTLY like Arnold. Of course, it also costs $1,200.

riv
02-14-2006, 10:00 PM

It's definitely not impossible, just prohibitively expensive. Check out the Cinemaquette T-850 from Terminator 3 as an example of that. It uses real hair that is hand punched, and looks EXACTLY like Arnold. Of course, it also costs $1,200.

Actually, that statue is an excellent example of what I'm referring to. Look at how short his hair is and how it's basically just standing straight on end. Try to part that 'do or make it do anything other than stand straight up and I think you'll see what I mean (and no cheating with hairspray! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)