PDA

View Full Version : If ALL figures were SA....

tauntaunweequay
10-21-2005, 08:42 PM
EVERYONE always seems to want more articulation. SA SA SA SA its always an issue with each and every figure that gets released. So heres my query, lets just say for the sake of argument that MSRP on basic figs is $4.99.

If Hasbro were to make ALL future figures as SA as possible while maintaining a high quality on all other aspects( sculpt, paint, packaging) how much more per figure would you be willing to pay? $1? $2?? More???

Slambo
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
50 cents, maybe a dollar

However, sa is about the same price as action features or accessories.

I would prefer sa to action features but not be willing to give up accesories.

Zombie_F_Body
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I'd pay more to guarantee no more rehashes in the main lines. If they want to keep cranking out #2 Anakins and Cantina Hans for exclusives and cups, cool, I don't buy those anyway (OK, I did buy the Boba Fett one). If new scuplts cost more then that's cool, I'd pay a couple of bucks more to insure some of the crappy molds of the past never surface again. Or that "close enough" molds from the past never get put in the place of what should be a totally new sculpt (looking at you Endor Confrontation Luke).

Yeah, I'd be down paying more for better quality stuff.

tauntaunweequay
10-21-2005, 08:52 PM
50 cents, maybe a dollar

I wouldnt want to lose any accesories, so lets keep them in the mix

You do realize sculpting something to have major articulation costs money right? And that to cast the figure in plastic will need more molds for more parts.

Slambo
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
50 cents, maybe a dollar

You realize sculpting something to have major articulation costs money right? And that to cast the figure in plastic will need more molds for more parts!

An action figure is an articulation, so to eliminate the action features and subsitute an additional articulation costs about the same.

tauntaunweequay
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Well yeah ok, read my edit though about the accesories.

Come to think of it Marvel Legends are SA and 6" scale and $8. So it can be done, but ML's reuse A LOT of parts, and the suuuuuuck http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

E_CHU_TA
10-21-2005, 10:01 PM
i would be willing to pay less for SA.
i prefer figures that will last, if the figure actually looks good and has basic articulation then im happy.
i doubt well see all these sa figures in antique stores and garage sales and they like in 20 years like we see vintage figures now, because these are not made to be played with and last.

i still like fisher price adventure people, those were built to survive a fallout.

Yoda4501
10-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Id pay more for SA figures like the VOTC line. If figures are SA then I am more likely to buy 2 of a figure I like. I collect MOC but open figures if they are worth releasing from their packages. I dont think they would cost more since the cost will go up anyways with time. A lot of ROTS figures are SA and they cost the same as previous lines. I think special packaging warrants and increase in price as in the VOTC line. The exclusives at Target are just horrible IMO.

Habs98
10-21-2005, 11:22 PM
If all figures were SA, complaining I think would be at a minimum.

Not saying it would stop though!!!

pjal84
10-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Keep in mind also it's harder to sculpt details and keep proportions right with figures if they have lots of articulation, especially in 3.75" scale. People would have articulation then they'd be complaining about the inaccuracy of the sculpt. Granted for figures that wear armor or some other clothing besides cloth/fabric, it becomes harder to blend the articulation.

Gothiczartan
10-21-2005, 11:40 PM
EVERYONE always seems to want more articulation. SA SA SA SA its always an issue with each and every figure that gets released. So heres my query, lets just say for the sake of argument that MSRP on basic figs is $4.99.

If Hasbro were to make ALL future figures as SA as possible while maintaining a high quality on all other aspects( sculpt, paint, packaging) how much more per figure would you be willing to pay? $1? $2?? More???

They need SA similar like those GIJoe Figures (http://yojoe.com/action/) has!

http://yojoe.com/action/82/82swivel/2grunt.jpg

http://yojoe.com/action/swivel/scarlett.jpg

pjal84
10-22-2005, 02:30 AM
That Joe has a nasty scowl...

Billy_Ray
10-22-2005, 03:14 AM
I, for one, would definitely not want Joe style articulation. While it is great as far as Joes go, over time the joints become looser and looser until figure is just all flibbidy dibbidy. My brother has plenty of vintage joes and this is what happens to them, trust me. Also, the little rubber band thingy that basically holds the whole figure together can wear out over time and/or snap. I guess if you keep your figures carded or never pose them than they might last longer...but then what's the point in articulation if thats the case?

I like Hasbro's "super articulation" just fine and, while I would love to see it on each and every figure...well, each and every figure doesn't really need to have it. So, if it helps to keep the cost down to only SA some figures, that's fine with me...as long as the big H uses it on the right figures. I mean think about it...an SA Aunt Beru or Sio Bibble? Defnitely not needed...SA Jango Fett or Darth Maul...heck yeah!

Zombie_F_Body
10-22-2005, 03:21 AM
I feel the pilot Kenobi from ROTS was the perfect level of articulation. VOTC and evoultions rocked, but Kenobi was a basic figure so that could conceivably be used that SA and basic price can come in the same package.

Another thing that dawns on me is how would everyone feel if main characters were reserved for a VOTC style line only. That way we get the definitive version of all the main guys. Leave the Derlins and CPT Antilles to the basic sets with moderate articulation. In the future each line would have 2 price levels (kind of like how the new Transformers are going).

CaptainJack
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
ROTS figures had such a large production run with such high sales expectations that the cost of an SA figure could be spread out over a larger group. Future lines will be smaller, so SA will be more expensive per figure sold. Prices will probably go up anyway, but I doubt we will see a fully articulated line (whcih we don't need anyway). We'll see enough articulation on the figures that need it. Personally, I would love an SA Sio Bibble http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Blight
10-22-2005, 09:06 AM
The cost of it's a non-issue. Any of us on this board would buy them even if they were 8 to 10 bucks. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kad
10-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm happy with Obi-Wan Pilot articulation on figures that really need it (main characters, troopers, action sequence figures).

Some figures simply do NOT need the "super" articulation. Characters that do literally nothing in the movies but stand around don't need everything balljointed.

Darth_Anton
10-22-2005, 02:10 PM
...there would be much rejoycing!

Seriously though, I'd pay more. I just hope they would make less to offset the expence.

Victor_Von_Doom
10-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I'd pay more, but only on some figures. For instance, getting an SA Grievous Bodyguard, I'd pay a dollar or two more, because the figure we have now is crappy. However, I'm not going to drop $10 on a SA Malakili. I guess what I am trying to say as long as the articulation is movie acurate, I will pay more.

10-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I, for one, would definitely not want Joe style articulation. While it is great as far as Joes go, over time the joints become looser and looser until figure is just all flibbidy dibbidy. My brother has plenty of vintage joes and this is what happens to them, trust me. Also, the little rubber band thingy that basically holds the whole figure together can wear out over time and/or snap. I guess if you keep your figures carded or never pose them than they might last longer...but then what's the point in articulation if thats the case?

I like Hasbro's "super articulation" just fine and, while I would love to see it on each and every figure...well, each and every figure doesn't really need to have it. So, if it helps to keep the cost down to only SA some figures, that's fine with me...as long as the big H uses it on the right figures. I mean think about it...an SA Aunt Beru or Sio Bibble? Defnitely not needed...SA Jango Fett or Darth Maul...heck yeah!

Ditto.

I've got bins upon bins full of Joe's from my younger years and almost every one of the joints on each figure is loose beyond belief. To add to that, if you wanted to find a certain figure of a character you'd have to not only find the upper body but the lower half as well since most of them fell apart due to the rubber bands wearing.

And I agree with many others who have said that SA is good for certain characters, but there is absolutely no reason you need a SA Aunt Beru or Salacious Crumb any other character that hardly moved in the films. We don't need statues either, but we don't need so much articulation that it either ends up killing the figures in the long run or is just plain useless.

Lady_Jaye
10-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I, for one, would definitely not want Joe style articulation. While it is great as far as Joes go, over time the joints become looser and looser until figure is just all flibbidy dibbidy.

ROTFLMAO!!! Hilarious!!

Anyhow I would want them to continue the current trend, but fix the elbow articulation!! It just's not really too much fun having to twist the elbow and then the hand into the right position, ruins the moment!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Kids want to play, not have to pause to make his arm bend!!

Also use double joints like on legengs!! At it is possible, look at their new 4 inch line!!!

Gothiczartan
10-22-2005, 08:37 PM

I sais SA almost like joe figures and not with the o rings.

SA: ball jointed shoulders, elbows, knees, waist, heels and neck, swivel wrists/feets

just like this Figure (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=OTC/VOTClukeanatomy.jpg&text=Anatomy%20of%20an%20Articulated%20Farmboy)!

Blight
10-22-2005, 08:45 PM
That figure is ugly without his shirt.

E_CHU_TA
10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
[/QUOTE]

And I agree with many others who have said that SA is good for certain characters, but there is absolutely no reason you need a SA Aunt Beru or Salacious Crumb any other character that hardly moved in the films. We don't need statues either, but we don't need so much articulation that it either ends up killing the figures in the long run or is just plain useless.

[/QUOTE]

thats exactly what i thought.

as far as joes go, i have actually been wishing all these years that they would switch to a more star wars like solid body actually.
if they resculpted the first couple years of joes to actually look pretty similar and made them without the o ring and the hard shiny smooth plastic they would be awsome.

DSIILuke
10-23-2005, 12:53 AM

I sais SA almost like joe figures and not with the o rings.

SA: ball jointed shoulders, elbows, knees, waist, heels and neck, swivel wrists/feets

just like this Figure (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=OTC/VOTClukeanatomy.jpg&text=Anatomy%20of%20an%20Articulated%20Farmboy)!

Id get all of um if the main characters had articulation like that.

MisterKenobi
10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
For the most part, I don't care about articulation as a MOC collector, but they are fun to play around with and pose sometimes. I guess I would pay $8 for them. No more though. And they MUST have soft goods especially for Jedi robes a la Evo Ani.

Ash
10-23-2005, 08:40 AM
If you play with any toy long enough the joints are going to go out. I've seen old Star Wars toys where the arms just hang down because the joint has gone out. So it's not fair to say the Joes are somehow worse because I've got old GI Joe figures with joints tighter than some of the new figures. Plus it only takes a few minutes and a screw driver to repair the O-ring. Makes far less work for the customizer as well.

Back to topic though.

I'm not sure how much more I'd be willing to pay, but I do know that I would buy more figures if they were all super articulated. Honestly I'm more about how I can pose the figure over how the joints effect the sculpt. Then again I'm an out of package collector so my needs will be different than the in pack collector.

GI Joe style, Mirco Man style, or even Super Hero Showdown style I'm just a mark for articulation over everything else.

ThisIsMadness91
10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
One figure costs about 7 over here. I might be willing to buy one for up to 10 with a decent sculpt and SA.

The_Truth
10-23-2005, 01:07 PM
What happens after all figures have 14 points? Everyone will probably complain more and ask for even more articulation or say everything is inaccurate still.