PDA

View Full Version : Since when do kids drive the line?

JediKnutt
10-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I just can't understand why people think kids keep Star Wars going. Last time I checked kids weren't the highest tax bracket. LOL We collectors keep this line going. I'm a completist, so I'll buy it all. But I don't know how many times I've heard a parent tell a child "you already have Luke, or Vader or Obi Wan or Han Solo, you don't need another one." Anyone else feel this way? I want my EU figures dang it! I want every scuzzy wuzzy from the cantina. Heck, make SA Luke drinking blue milk, I don't care. Uncle Owen with Jawa bartering action. Anything.

Zombie_F_Body
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Corporate bean counter logic, my friend.

ThorOakenfelder
10-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Uncle Owen with Jawa bartering action.

That would be hilarious. Can we get a variation with being cranky action?

CaptainJack
10-10-2005, 03:02 PM
The idea that kids drive the market is based on decades of toy marketing. Despite what collectors might think, 99% of toys are still bought by or for children. Obviously the percentage will vary accross toy lines, but kids are the driving force behind overall toy sales. If kids stopped wanting Star Wars toys, they wouldn't necessarily go away, but they would be pushed completely into the collectibles market and the quantities would go down and the prices would go up. Toy producers do tend to take collectors for granted. This is, in large part, thanks to completists like yourself. If Hasbro thinks that collectors will always buy whatever they put out, they never need to make anthing targeted specifically at collectors, with no appeal to kids.

Victor_Von_Doom
10-10-2005, 03:46 PM
I know it may seem like collectors buy most of the stuff, but for every collector buying a Darth Vader there are probably at least 100 kids buying it too. We usually see the "kid friendly" figures during the movie years, and since next year (as well as every year to come now) are not movie years, we will probably get some fan requested figures. Look at POTJ after EP1, or OTC after SAGA; we got some much needed new figures in those lines. I guarantee 2006 will give us at least one long awaited figure. Just look at Commander Cody (coming in 2006).

JediKnutt
10-10-2005, 05:13 PM
You'sa point is...well seen. (Yeah I did it, I qouted Jar Jar). Anyway, I understand from Hasbro's point of view silly collectors toys are for kids.

Rocket_Back
10-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, originally Star Wars toys were for kids. There really weren't very many collectors back in 1978. Without kids, Star Wars toys wouldn't exist right now. I do think things are different nowadays though, but not entirely. I think it's good to balance it out and make for collector and kid alike.

shellachead
10-10-2005, 06:36 PM
You didn't hear, 30 is the 20's. we're still kids!

Zombie_F_Body
10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, we just grew up http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

darkpowers
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
dude i am soooo with you here. i had this argument with another poster before. how many kids do you know with an entire wall of mint condition figures? how many kids buy the bust-ups or the replica lightsabers for a couple hundred bucks? i think hasbro needs to do a poll a re-evaluate their market. i have never, ever seen a child so much as glance in the general direction of the star wars toys. i rarely even see children in the toy sections of the stores. i believe that if they do have the toys it's primarily due to the fact that their father(the true fan and collector) bought it for them. kids today are primarily into video games and collector cards. and i think hasbro kind of already knows that due to the lack of commercials for star wars products. they dont need to advertise for adults; we already know whats coming out. and just remember: a kid friendly figure to one person is a peg warmer to another. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

imported_Vaderman
10-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, we just grew up http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well not me I'm still just a kid but I just want SA figs. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rocket_Back
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I see kids all the time hurdling through the ROTS section like there's no tomorrow. It hasn't toned down since the release of the movie either. I even saw a lot of kids at midnight madness this time around - and not because their parents drug them there. If anything their parents looked like they could use some coffee.

I see both kids and collectors around the pegs and it puts a smile on my face every time.

JediKnutt
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
I like kids.

imported_Vaderman
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
but not like MJ no just kidding. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JediKnutt
10-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Didn't want to sound like I hated kids.

Yoda4501
10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Kids do drive the line. Look at how popular the toys were when the movie came out. It is the last time this is going to happen. The big kids will always be there in the end and keep the sales going. With the little kids that get hooked today, they will drive the lines tomorrow. All of us big kids just want the best SA figures and no lame action features.

CaptainJack
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Obviously the replica lightsabres and such are not toys and are in no way meant for or driven by kids. If you don't see kids in stores, you are probaby in stores in the middle of the day, when kids are at school, or their parents are working so they have no way of getting to the store. Try going to Toys 'R Us on a Saturday afternoon. Two months from now, try moving down the Star Wars aisle without bumping into anyone. It is a natural tendancy to project ones own habits onto the world around them. Think about it. What percentage of kids own at least one Star Wars toy? What percentage of adults own at least one? Sure the adult collectors buy more, but there really aren't as many of us as you think.

darkpowers
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
where i live we have many retail outlets due to tourism and the abundance of military bases. for the most part product just sits on the shelves for months, and there is very little restock. i go various places at various times of the day. i go to all the major outlets between six cities. kids were not in school during the summer months here. new product is snatched up by collectors, which is why i say collectors drive the line. i think that even if some kids do get the toys the parents who also get the toys buy them for them. why would hasbro continue to try to improve on existing figures if not for collectors? i'm pretty sure kids aren't concerned about extra attention to detail. they never remade figures in the original line. if successful sales were dependent solely on the interest of children this line would have never lasted past the initial re-release.

Lumparrwarump78
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I am a teen and i really do help star wars going. I am also a collector. I woul buy it all but i dont have the cash. I keep a few things in box but most opened. and i totally know what you mean with parents always telling kids "dont you have a vader? How is this different?" I also hat when kids start acting like they are the biggest fans ver even when they dont even no half the names of the figures.

JediKnutt
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Exactly! How many kids are desparate for a Mon Monthma? How many people ran out at midnight and bought all 32 or 36 whatever it was all at once? Hasbro counts on that, otherwise there would not even be Mon Mothma. Kids only want major characters. Collectors are the ones who demand better likenesses, more articulation. You ever hear a kid say "man if only this were more articulated"? Or "if only this looked more like Harrison Ford". Most kids lose interest a month after the movie is over then it's back to YuGiOh and video games. Some stay excited until they finally get a Vader...and then lose interest. I can understand kids driving a line like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But if collectors had said in 1995 "I am not buying He-Man Luke Skywalker or any of these other steroid freaks or monkey faced Leia" the line would have died right there.

CaptainJack
10-14-2005, 02:10 PM
No on eis suggesting that the line would be as healthy as it is without collectors. You point out the example of Mon Mothma. True, kids don't want her, that's why the pegs are filled with her. Where are all the collectors to buy her up? It is a natural tendency to overestimate the membership of ones group. Maybe Hasbro does work for better likenesses for the sake of collectors, but, then again, a lot of figures with action features have sold too. Kids do loce interest after movie years, and, not shockingly, sales figures fall drastically in non-movie years. Is that because collectors are buying less?

DarthVice
10-14-2005, 03:35 PM
WE are not as big as kids as far as buying toys i know it may not seem that way but its true.

so... since always

JediKnutt
10-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Actually I have bought 3 Mon Mothma's. Carded, opener, one for custom fodder. I really didn't intend for this to be such an argumentative topic. And Hasbro did a good thing by making figures they knew would be pegwarmers at one per case. I think they should do more polls and more market research. I would buy a whole case of shocktroopers myself, or Tac ops troopers, and I know I'm not alone. But a whole case of Vaders? But which figures are one per case? Shock troopers. I wish they would offer these at hasbro toy shop. Or even through Entertainment Earth. Take preorders, then pack the figures out. Something. No telling how many collectors I know have given up and sold their entire collections because they can't find a new wave.

darkpowers
10-15-2005, 04:24 PM
uh bad example with mon mothma. that was a crap figure for everyone concerned. i understand where your trying to come from; my rebuttal to this would be yes collectors would probably purchase less during a non movie year. but only because hasbro produced less and offered less of the figures we actually want. unless your a sadistic completeist the average collector is not going to purchase 15 vaders just for a different pose or packaging. throw out something that's never been released before or something tied into the EU and it will disappear so fast it will make your head spin. hasbro needs to take a leap of faith and realize there is a huge demand for non major characters. i believe they could even charge more and produce in smaller quantities if they thought it was such a big risk. look at the figures that were the most popular: the EU line,ephant mon, mcquarrie trooper, r2b1,tc14,sio bibble,all the various clones. aayla secura and aurra sing probably wouldn't even have figures if not for the comics. i don't know where hasbro gets their info from but it's flawed.if they could produce nothing but characters from the games and books for one year i guarantee the sales would be better than they were for the last two so called movie years.

UTtoyfan
10-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I hope the kids buy all the #11 Darth Vaders that are plaguing stores since some cases contain just him. Anyways, I've seen lots of kids buy the Hasbro lightsabers, and a few times I've seen the parents looking for the Mr. Potato Head Darth Vaders for their children before they became abundant.

Kad
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I dunno, but when I was 7, I loved seeing new Star Wars product. I didn't care if it was main characters or not. Kids don't always go after main characters and the stuff designed for kids. I know I didn't. And I know a lot of kids who are the same.

And I DOUBT a whole year of EU product would sell better than the RotS movie year. A lot of fans and collectors don't like the majority of EU work. Shadows of the Empire worked because that was a whole multimedia blitz at one time. The last multimedia EU blitz was Clone Wars.

And characters like Sio Bibble, TC-14, Elephant Mon, etc. were only popular because they were SO HARD TO FIND! That was ENTIRELY collector driven. Kids weren't the ones hunting and paying outrageous prices for them. If they saw one and it caught their eye, they may have got one.

Galvatron397
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I think it has been a combination of kids and collectors. I think the kids buy mostly main characters and stuff with action features and I think it's collectors who buy the SA figures and all of the secondary figures, however I think we'll see a decrease in kids because of no more new movie launches. But I think there will always be that 1-in-a-million kid who will buy Mon Mothma. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mattdude
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
This topic reminded me of a recent experience at Target--my brother and I were perusing the basic figures, and this little kid runs up, with his mother in tow, and grabs hold of a Jedi vs. Separatist Battlepack. He exclaims with joy "Darth Maul! Darth Maul!" It appeared that the mother was going to acquiesce and buy this $20+ set just so the kid could have a Darth Maul. To me this highlighted Hasbro's reasons for releasing a product which I consider a piece of crap.

I think kids are indeed Hasbro's primary targets.

-Matt

A_Skywalker
10-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I think hasbro's high from sniffing to many death sticks http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ash
10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Hasbro has been pushing this kids and kids only stick with GI Joe for years so it was really only a matter of time before this mindset jumped over to Star Wars now that GI Joe is direct to customer internet sales only for 4" figures.

Now selling toys to kids is not a bad thing because just about every collector is a collector because of some favorate toy as a child. So if it were well made toys for everyone it would be a happy happy world. However along with the idea that kids are the only ones to appeal to the idea also cropped up that gimmicks sell toys. Yea I don't know where the gimmick idea comes from.

To take the GI Joe, Transformers, or any other Hasbro property lately and look at quality over gimmicks the future does not look bright for people who like quality over gimmicks. I dread the day Hasbro says 4" Star Wars ain't cool so they can force something like Sigma Six on us.

CaptainJack
10-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Hasbro has a lot more creative control over GI Joe and Transfromers than they do over Star Wars. If collectors buy all the gimmick crap anyway, why should Hasbro change their business model?

wingsofcinder
10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
No telling how many collectors I know have given up and sold their entire collections because they can't find a new wave.

No telling indeed...but I would wager that the actual numbers aren't very high at all...regardless of what people might threaten on message boards like this one.

Anyone that impatient wouldn't survive as a collector for
very long anyway, so they wouldn't have much of a collection to sell anyway.

We can sit back from the comfort of the internet and second-guess Hasbro's decisions all day long (and we do!) but ultimately I think it's pretty obvious that what they are doing with the SW line is working well enough for them. They're still making money and we're still lining up to hand them more.