PDA

View Full Version : BoTPoC Wave failure in lack of new characters:

Inigo_Montoya
10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Three needed resculpts, and three repacks with minor paint or accessory tooling, is disappointing when taking into account the lack of any never before produced, or modern resculpted characters.

A coinciding DLX assortment may bring Hermi, and/or a critter or two, but we should have been treated to some overdue Basic vintage Nikto skiff guards' modern resculpts, or anything other than a straight repack of a POTF2 CS/SC Barada.

I hope the BoH wave dosen't then include four repacks.
Nice for the wallet, bad for longtime collecting.

The_Kilted_Fett
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm expecting half and half like this for the forseeable future. "Cost effective" for Hasbro, re-sculpts for new collectors, new sculpts for older collectors so we don't give them the proverbial bird and walk away.

They still coulda gave us the Kithaba re-paint though
**razzun-frazzun Hasbro mumble, mumble**

Boushh
10-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't mind the half and half situation since we're at least getting some new sculpts or new figures being made. At least the three in the Carkoon wave that got the resculpt treatment are some that direly needed it. Would it be better to get all six newly sculpted figures? Of course, but we all know how Hasbro works and I for one didn't expect all new figures. The ones that got retooled look decent, so I'm not too disappointed. This wave just happened to consist of some figures I've been wanting in an updated fashion, so I'm quite pleased with it overall. The packaging is wonderful, if nothing else. I might try to get this entire collection on card just because they look so nice in the packages. I'm sure there will be a few that I'll be reluctant to pick up, like the Boba Fett (as if we really needed another one of him http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I can deal with the ratio of new figures and resculpts versus retooled figures and reshashes, as long as they are done well. There are some that I didn't pick up in the previous lines that I'd like to have another crack at.

Darth_Broem
10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Well I wish it was all new stuff as well. Hasbro is just not gonna go for that. Especially now that the films have ended. I am hoping for some nice resculpts with SA of the main characters and good additions of obscure figures.

Most likely we are probably going to get a good dose of repacks/repaints/rehashes with some resculpts and a few characters that have not been done before. That may or may not be to bad. I just hope it's not 70% or more repaints/repacks/rehashes.

RogueWompRat
10-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm fine with repacks now, as long as we get some unproduced character soon. It's not as if I'm going to have enough money to be buying figures left and right anyways.

MisterKenobi
10-07-2005, 08:50 PM
The point to me is, they look fantastic, even if they are old sculpts. We've never had a modern Barada on a card, or a Wedge, and now we are getting them. And as long as they repack good sculpts, you shouldn't complain.

Inigo_Montoya
10-08-2005, 02:23 AM
POTF2 Barada's decently sculpted, but where's the articulation, or the need for another stab at it? How about a repacked Ree-Yees?

Barada could have been a repaint, or resculpt, to eventually figure in the actual vintage Klatooinian, Kithaba.

Boushh
10-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I would have preferred the Ree-Yees repack myself. I've been waiting for Hasbro to slap him on a new card and put him out again.

NS_Stormtrooper
10-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Barada is one of the last POTF2 Jabba's Palace figures I wanted repacked. Ree-Yees, maybe the Nikto or Klaatu from the Skiff Cinema Scene would've been better picks. Even a C-3PO with green Jabba slime.

I would've atleast wanted new arms with more articulation for Barada. Then Hasbro could've packed him with a Vibro-blade instead of that odd blaster. His legs seem strange to me too. They're thick around the knees and narrow at the thighs.

GNT
10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
We've known for months Hasbro was going to release a wave with half new and half old figures, it doesn't worry me to much but I wish they picked a better selection of figures that haven't been released in along time. Barada has been in the gift set and possibly more sets over the last few years, let's see some characters again that haven't been re-released!:

Malakili - Thus time make him one per case, and a new staff
Saelt-Marae - Could've used a new paint application, it's been years since we've seen him last.
Weequay - Would prefer a new one but a reissue with new paint could've worked.
Ree-Yees
Pote Snitkin
B'Omarr Monk
Oola and Salacious Crumb
Droopy McCool
Joh Yowza
Max Rebo
+ the numerous band members
Luke Skywalker - Jabba’s Palace
Holographic Luke Skywalker - Jabba's Palace
R2-D2 - Jabba’s Sail Barge
Rapertunnie - Jabba's Palace
J’Quille - Jabba's Sail Barge
Tanus Spijek - Jabba's Sail Barge
Dengar - Jabba's Palace, no backpack with blaster

stylie_steve
10-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I like this wave!

The die hard collectors get 3 new resculpts that we have all been wanting for years and the newbies can get those as well as three nice looking repaints. I am a old time collector from 1995 and still are impressed by the repaints so I will most likly buy this whole wave!

i_know
10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I like this wave too, the only thing dissapointing is that we can imagine there may be as few as 9 newly sculpted OT characters. (if they keep doing 3 new, 3 old)

Hopefully they'll continue the VOTC line with a couple characters from each movie as well, although i get the feeling that there's no chance of that.

10-09-2005, 03:40 AM
I like this wave!

The die hard collectors get 3 new resculpts that we have all been wanting for years and the newbies can get those as well as three nice looking repaints.

I like this wave too!

I'm sorry some collectors are disappointed, but remember that so far in 2005, we've had 68 new figures with 5 variants that I know of. Yes, some of them were repaints, but Cat Miin and Passel Argente, were never before available as basic figures. We've also had all new deluxe figures, many of which were very cool, and we have some interesting exclusives on the way, like the Droid 5-packs.

The first wave of the Saga Collection is pretty nice. With the possible exception of Boba Fett and Baraca, the resculpts, and even the repaints, are much-needed figures. I plan to replace my POTF2 Leia, Chewbacca, Han Solo and Bib Fortuna with these new releases.

I know it's different for on-card completists, but we choose our collecting style, and we have to live with it, I suppose...

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boushh
10-09-2005, 03:51 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself, Monsieur! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJHawk
10-09-2005, 09:25 AM
The three new figures we are getting all look very nice and I can skip the repacks since I've already gotten them. I would echo Inigo's sentiment for this wave in particular that is disappointing that there weren't more new characters. I fully expect Hasbro will repack figures for a long time coming and I'm ok with that, but Jabba's Palace has so many cool characters that have yet to be made that I would like to have seen more for this wave! Some of the other wave's, Naboo or Hoth for instance, I would be pleased with a 50-50 ratio of new to old. Just because there isn't as much diversity of characters from those waves. Lets face it the Jabba's Palace and the Cantina has lots of great eye candy background characters.

If nothing else we should have gotten Kithaba instead of Barada. I would think that would have been a win-win for old and new collectors alike. Also, while I do think all 3 of the new figures justly deserve new sculpts I'm disappointed that there isn't at least one never seen before sculpt in the wave.

Oh well, enough critiquing. I can't wait for these to come out.

Darth_Tedious
10-09-2005, 10:33 AM
One thing about this wave that has me thinking is the re-release of Barada.

It seems odd for Hasbro to have put him in this wave as opposed to a more prominent character like Klattu or Weequay. This has me speculating that Hasbro has re-sculpts planned for both of these characters.

Weequay REALLY needs a new treatment. It's basically been the same figure (with minor alterations) since the Kenner days!

10-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, Monsieur! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow, thanks! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, Darth Tedious, I think we will see the more prominent ROTJ characters released throughout the Saga Collection. Naturually, though, Hasbro will want to get the most out of the sculpts they already have. That means we might see the other two Skiff Guards, originally released in the POTF2 Cinema Scene, and again in a TRU exclusive mulitpack, repainted and released on single cards.

Smudger9
10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I dont have a problem with the repaints and resculps but I was hoping for at least one completely new character for each wave.

sambuca
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
This is a toss up for me. The Han, Leia, and Bib I will get for sure, the others I will have to see in person. The I will know.

Dark_Destiny
10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't get you folks. You want repacks? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Darth_Tedious
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm hoping that the Carkoon wave is just the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe, like how the OTC collection was a bit rushed, there was a bit of a rush for a ROTS series follow-up so the Carkoon we will be the most lackluster of the new Saga line and the best is yet to come.

Boushh
10-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Yes. Sometimes I like repacks. If it happens to be a figure that I missed out on in a previous release, maybe on a new cardstyle that I really like the look of, perhaps a slight retooling or better repaint...sometimes a repack is ok to me. I'd rather have seen Ree-Yees or Ephant Mon repacked in the BoC wave instead of the Boba Fett, but I can live with the Chewie and Barada figures. Don't get me wrong...ideally I would love to see six all new sculpted figures, some updates (love the three that got the updates!) and some platic debuts of other characters who have been left out of the toy line so far, but I've accepted that this will probably not ever be the case. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think that overall, the selection in this wave is a great introduction into the new Saga line. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't want repacks, so I just don't buy them. A resculpt is different though; it's a new figure. Even a good repaint, such as Chewbacca as Boushh's bounty, can be a welcome addition, because it can be a replacement figure for collectors who open figures and display them diorama-style.

Slambo
10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
what's the difference between the following:
rehash
repack
repaint
resculpt
retool

Boushh
10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I can relate when it comes to replacing older figures with newer, better sculpts as they come out. The Chewbacca repaint is going to be great just because of the better chain as far as I'm concerned. I'm really excited to see how much the new Leia, Han, and Bib look with all of the newer JP figures from the last couple of years.

Boushh
10-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Rehashes and repacks are basically the same thing-a figure that was released at a previous time getting a second release in a newer line (on a new card). Retooled figures are figures released in a previous line getting some slight changes made to them and then getting a second release. They might have some different points of articulation or different accessories on their second run. Repaints are older figures getting an updated paintjob and a second release. Resculpts are what we ideally want (other than never before made figures being released for the very first time). They are brand new, updated sculpts of older figures, usually with better articulation, paint application, accessories, and likeness to the character.

10-09-2005, 08:02 PM
what's the difference between the following:
rehash
repack
repaint
resculpt
retool

I'm sure there will be other answers, but...

I take rehash to be a general, and sort of deragotory way to describe anything that is re-released.

I understand repack to mean the same exact figure being re-released without any changes, but in different packaging.

A repaint is a figure that uses the same sculpt as has been used before, but with a different paint application; sometimes it's very subtle, but sometimes it creates the appearance of a completely different figure.

A resulpt is when the same character design is sculpted from scratch to create a new mold; although it's the same character, it's a completely different figure of that character.

A retool is, if I understand the jargon, is a figure that is re-released with minor changes to weapons, accesories, or articulation; it's the same figure, from the same sculpt, but it's been changed slightly from the original release.

That's how I understand those terms.

EDIT: Boushh types faster than I do, or has a faster Internet connection. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think what some collectors were hoping for in the Saga Collection is not only resculpts of previously existing figures, but a figure of a character that has never been sculpted before. I'm sure this will happen at some point in the new collection...It has in every other collection!

Darth_Tedious
10-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Sounds good to me. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Me too! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MisterKenobi
10-10-2005, 12:37 AM
POTF2 Barada's decently sculpted, but where's the articulation, or the need for another stab at it? How about a repacked Ree-Yees?

Get over it. You all would still complain like there's no tomorrow. Ree-yees was already available as a carded basic figure. Barada wasn't. How can you gripe about a repack but then say you want a different repack?

Boushh
10-10-2005, 02:08 AM
I'd prefer Ree-Yees because that wave didn't get a lot of shelf time due to it being toward the end of the POTF2 line. Just happens to be a figure that didn't get widespread distribution in large numbers. Barada, at least, got a repack already in the Skirmish at Carkoon battle pack. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, so I can complain about the repack choices all I want. It doesn't change anything, but the selection of characters does happen to be the point of this thread.

10-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Touché!

I think what may be annoying Mister Kenobi though, is that some collectors seem to want any figure they don't have in their collection repacked and readily available. But, part of collecting is searching for things that are not readily available. It can't all be re-released.

Or, maybe he was just being crabby. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darth_Tedious
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
The one thing that I would like to have seen done with Barada is a bit of kit bashing to give him bendable legs and arms.

Using existing parts wouldn't have taken much.

Inigo_Montoya
10-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Get over it. You all would still complain like there's no tomorrow. Ree-yees was already available as a carded basic figure. Barada wasn't. How can you gripe about a repack but then say you want a different repack?

Try getting with it for once.

Distribution:
POTF2 Skiff Guards SC < POTF2 Ree-Yees

Number of times released:
POTF2 Barada = 2
POTF2 Ree-Yees = 1

Most recent rerelease:
POTF2 Barada

Figure that could have been repainted to become the vintage 'Barada' Kithaba:
POTF2 Barada

Best choice of two by Hasbro's method of repacks:
POTF2 Ree-Yees

POTF2 Oola was never a Basic figure, but it seems she'll suffice enough for you.

10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I had to read your post 2 or 3 times to really get it. Next time, a diagram or some kind of graphic representation of the logic would be helpful. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That was a kind of joke. I think you're saying that Ree-Yees was only available once, and Barada was available twice already, so Ree-Yees would have been a more welcome re-pack than Barada for a third time...Yes?

You're correct, Barada was available the first time in the POTF2 Cinema Scene, and the second time as the Saga Multipack. He could have been repainted, and slightly retooled as Kithaba. Mister Kenobi is correct too, though: Barada was never avialable as a single carded figure.

Which only matters, of course, to on-card collectors. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Boushh
10-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Sure, a retooled or repainted Barada would have been better than just a repack, and Ree-Yees might have been a more welcome repack altogether; the bottom line is that different people want different figures. We all have different collections and we add to them for different reasons. Some people are army builders, some carded completists, some like to set up dioramas, some focus on a particular character or film...we all have our thing. I just would have preferred Ree-Yees over the second Barada repack, despite it being his debut as a single carded figure in a basic line. I still might pick one up because I think all of these figures look great on the new Saga cards, so I won't die because of the difference of opinion I have with Hasbro. For those out there that missed out on Barada the first couple of times, this will be a welcome opportunity to pick one up. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Well said! I especially like this idea:

We all have different collections and we add to them for different reasons. Some people are army builders, some carded completists, some like to set up dioramas, some focus on a particular character or film...we all have our thing.

I think the Saga Collection will include some pleasant surprises, if the uniqueness of the Bib Fortuna is any indication of things to come. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boushh
10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree completely. Sure there's going to be figures throughout that somebody won't want, but others will. I am looking forward to the new Saga line.

Daigo_Bah
10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I think at the very least, Barada could have been repainted with the red pants (which is the color of the one on the skiff) and simply a resculpted head for differentiation from the cinema scene one. Re-tooling is much better than rehashing, IMO.

10-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Re-tooling is much better than rehashing

I agree, but at the same time, this is true:

there's going to be figures throughout that somebody won't want, but others will.

I think the new collection will have a lot of surprises...Mixed in with a few re-releases, naturally.

Inigo_Montoya
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I like this wave too, the only thing dissapointing is that we can imagine there may be as few as 9 newly sculpted OT characters...

Unfortunately we only got three.

Hem Dazon - Alien Cantina Patron: Awesome.

Moff Jerjerrod - Commander of Death Star II: Awesome.

EG-4 Power Droid - Prop in Echo Base: Awesome, but completely unexpected, and something maybe only 300 fans have ever really desired.

Where's some other Cantina Patrons, any Jabba's Palace denizens or guards, Jawas, CZ-3, resculpted Sim Aloo, Kithaba, Wooof, Vedain, Romba, Lumat, or Vintage-style Warok?

DSIILuke
10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I like this wave too, the only thing dissapointing is that we can imagine there may be as few as 9 newly sculpted OT characters...

Unfortunately we only got three.

Hem Dazon - Alien Cantina Patron: Awesome.

Moff Jerjerrod - Commander of Death Star II: Awesome.

EG-4 Power Droid - Prop in Echo Base: Awesome, but completely unexpected, and something maybe only 300 fans have ever really desired.

Where's some other Cantina Patrons, any Jabba's Palace denizens or guards, Jawas, CZ-3, resculpted Sim Aloo, Kithaba, Wooof, Vedain, Romba, Lumat, or Vintage-style Warok?

What about Chief Chirpa, or Bren Derlin?

Inigo_Montoya
10-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Both are resculpts, not what i_know and myself had in mind.

If you're referring to the extended list of Vintage figures I want resculpted, then you're right, I had gotten off track at that point.

Seems we'll also be getting a never before produced Yavin IV Rebel Sentry w/ Crow's Nest, and Dutch Vander body's kitbash of (possibly) a never before produced X-Wing Pilot character, in Wave 8 - Yavin IV & Death Star.

Inigo_Montoya
10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Edit: I really did intend to edit my previous post.

CaptainCharisma
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
The new Boba, at least, is kit-bashed with the VOTC legs. And I'm psyched to be getting a Hem Dazon and a Republic Commando. Can't wait to see the sculpts!

-DD

Inigo_Montoya
10-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Are you sure? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The SAGA Boba (TPoC) also has articulated knees.