PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of Hasbro's lame exclusive figures?!

JayPee
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
me too! read about my hatred here: http://brokenfrontier.com/columns/details.php?id=336

tk421_1_2
10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
How does Hasbro offering 'exclusives' tire you out? If you don't want it, don't buy it. Seriously let your wallet do the talking. Hasbro is not holding a gun to your head telling you "Buy it!".

Threads like this one and the Best Buy Exclusive Thread seriously need to be locked- mods, please look into it these repetitive/duplicituous posts which really do nothing for the collecting community.

Luke_Skywalker77
10-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I completely agree with TK421! If you don't like it, don't BUY it! That is why it is an exclusive, because Hasbro KNOWS if the figures were mass produced, they wouldn't sell to begin with!

Call a crappy toy an exclusive, and folks like you will grab them up anyway just to say you have them, then you go off and [censored] about it! It's not Hasbro's fault. Theyr'e a business set out to make money. You, the collector have the option to buy it, or not. Buying it will only give Hasbro more reason to spray paint a POTF He-man Luke bright pink, and slap a monkey Leia head on it, then slap a 12.99 price tag on it and sell it only at Target! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GamorreanGuard
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I love exclusives so I'll never get tired of them. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But agree with TK421 and Luke_Skywalker77, if you don't want them, then don't buy them.

E_CHU_TA
10-04-2005, 09:59 PM
i wouldnt mind exclusives, my only problem is they are never there.
so where are they? surely they make enough for demand?
but then theres people who if they walk in and theres 20 they will get them all because they are suppose to be rare.
people get it because you want it not because its rare.

my only other problem is and once again its an availability issue.
there are no kay bee toys here at all, there are no k marts here at all.
theres only 1 target remotely close to me.

i actually work at wal mart and we always get the lamest exclusives, there the only ones i see and there the ones i dont want.

and i do think internet exclusives are kind of unfair.
believe it or not there are still people with no internet access.
which means they cant get entertainment earth stuff, and they cant go to ebay to get stuff either.
and then all the people who can get all these things always want to be kind of smart azzed and shiddy to alot of people that have a really hard time getting these things.

Yoda4501
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
After the first few exclusives, I dont really care. I picked up the first three but lost interest because having too many exclusives is just boring the hell out of me. How many versions of Anakin #2 are they going to release within a year. I'll pass on the rest of these.

GNT
10-05-2005, 04:08 AM
Follow me for a second in this example...let's say theres 56 000 collectors who collect figures on a constant basis. If Hasbro makes 100,000 of each figure everyone can get one and everyone is happy http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now if Hasbro makes an exclusive figure with a run of say 20,000 if it's a new figure then theres going to be alot of demand for it with only every 1 in 2 collectors being able to get it. Now if it's an old figure (touched up, maybe a new weapon etc) then people who miss out wont be to disapointed as the figure has been made available once before.

Not only that but it's cheaper to use an existing mould then it is to create an all new figure that'll have a limited run.

Smudger9
10-05-2005, 06:05 AM
I personally like exclusives but there are problems with them, especially living in the UK.
The idea is good... make a figure that probably wouldnt sell that well and offer it as an exclusive.... essentially I see them as figures for collectors which is nice.
However, there are problems.... most dont reach the UK and those bloody bloody bloody scalpers that make money out of them.
So keep the exclusives coming as long as they arent army building figures... the Target clone was a mistake and a bugger to army build with.

Darth_Anton
10-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm not a fan of exclusives either, but some of them are cool, like the upcomming Wedge and all of the clone exclusives.

Yodajedi
10-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Are you tired of Hasbro's lame exclusive figures?!

YES! I haven't found any of the retail exclusive figures. The only exclusive from this year that I bought was the Covert Ops Trooper.

Kneel_Before_Zod
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Tell them how you feel right here:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1372588&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post14115591372588

Seize9
10-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm tired of people complaining that they are tired to be honest. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kneel_Before_Zod
10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm tired of people complaining that they are tired to be honest. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hypocrisy is thy name.

Seize9
10-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Hypocrisy is thy name.

http://forum.electroalliance.net/images/smiles/headscratch.gif

efranks
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Hypocrisy is thy name.

I do not think that word means what you think it means. He was possibly being facetious, maybe even ironic, but not quite hypocritical.

E...

Victor_Von_Doom
10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
I like exclusives...to an extent. It seems this season we've been getting hit with them even more than usual. If its a old figure repackaged, thats fine by me (I'm a loose completist). If it is a short run figure, like TF Vader, or even Lava Vader, that I don't like. There is the thrill of the hunt escpecially when it comes to exclusives, but its not thrilling shelling out $200 on eBay.

Kneel_Before_Zod
10-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Hypocrisy is thy name.

I do not think that word means what you think it means. He was possibly being facetious, maybe even ironic, but not quite hypocritical.

E...

I'm aware of what it means. I supposed that he wasn't being facetious or ironic, in which case he was being hypocritical. Were he being facetious or ironic, then I would be misinterpreting intentions, but not misusing the word.

Seize9
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Hypocrisy is thy name.

E...

I'm aware of what it means. I supposed that he wasn't being facetious or ironic, in which case he was being hypocritical. Were he being facetious or ironic, then I would be misinterpreting intentions, but not misusing the word.

How am I being hypocrytical?

I'm one of the few here who isn't always complaining or bashing Hasbro ALL THE TIME.

I have never once said "hey, I hate exclusives but I still buy all of them", or "that exclusive really sucks but here is my money". If that was the case, yes you could call me a hypocrite all you want, but it's not.

I like exclusives...I love them actually. Have always since I started collecting back in 95.

Lame exclusives (like the lave Vader which I didn't buy), I do have a problem with you could say, but still you won't find me crying about them, or catch me starting threads about them, cause in the end how do they really benefit anything? there are tons of threads like these, always with the same old story.

For the record Zod, I've always appreciated some of your posts (I been lurking behind this forum for a very long time, and if I'm not mistaken you used to post on the Florida collectors section a few years back), but sorry man, I just don't agree with you on this one.

Habs98
10-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't mind the Exclusives, it's the availability that annoys me sometimes.

10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't mind the Exclusives, it's the availability that annoys me sometimes.

Are there actually collectors who don't like the figures and vehicles that are released as exlusives? Maybe I shouldn't ask.

I thought the availability of the exlusives was the actual complaint here. The lack of availability, really. Retail shops can only do so much to prevent scalping, though; it's almost impossible to regulate. That's frustrating, but there's not much that can be done about it. Except maybe to wait for people who bought more than one to sell their extras at a reasonable price in the Rebel Scum Classifieds...?

Kneel_Before_Zod
10-05-2005, 01:47 PM

Hypocrisy is thy name.

E...

How am I being hypocrytical?

I'm one of the few here who isn't always complaining or bashing Hasbro ALL THE TIME.

I have never once said "hey, I hate exclusives but I still buy all of them", or "that exclusive really sucks but here is my money". If that was the case, yes you could call me a hypocrite all you want, but it's not.

I like exclusives...I love them actually. Have always since I started collecting back in 95.

Lame exclusives (like the lave Vader which I didn't buy), I do have a problem with you could say, but still you won't find me crying about them, or catch me starting threads about them, cause in the end how do they really benefit anything? there are tons of threads like these, always with the same old story.

For the record Zod, I've always appreciated some of your posts (I been lurking behind this forum for a very long time, and if I'm not mistaken you used to post on the Florida collectors section a few years back), but sorry man, I just don't agree with you on this one.

You complained about people complaining - that's all. It really wasn't a big deal. Sorry I said anything.

I did post in the FL section a few years back - before I moved out of the state.

10-05-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm tired of gimmicky exclusives (Lava figures, Holiday Vader), but then again I also like those figures because I don't have to buy them, which means more money to spend on other things worth buying (ie. 99% of the rest of the ROTS line).

But Hasbro should put more effort into making the exclusives they do release better.

Seize9
10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
You complained about people complaining - that's all. It really wasn't a big deal. Sorry I said anything.

I did post in the FL section a few years back - before I moved out of the state.

It's all good.

NS_Stormtrooper
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm not tired of Hasbro's exclusive, but BOY! Do they stress me out!

Darth_Anton
10-05-2005, 06:21 PM

Me too. This is suposed to be fun, isn't it?

JayPee
10-11-2005, 10:21 PM
you guys have got me all wrong. i think exclusive figures are awesome. i've seen most of them and had the opportunity to buy many of them but didn't. why? because they're lame! if any of you read my column, which was the reason for this post, you'd see all i ask for is an original figure! not just a repaint of an older sculpt. or just giving the figure a friggin' baby and calling it an exclusive. and i love clone troopers, they've been all i've bought from the ROTS collection. but giving a clone trooper a new paint job is not worth an extra $10, i don't care how limited it is.

Habs98
10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
If there was going to be an Exclusive they should limit it to 1 per store maybe once a year. To me that's Exclusive, not this 7 different figures and vehicles that are a Target exclusive. I think the Holiday figures are a great example, once a year!!! This years kind of sucks but it's something you look forward to each year which makes it pretty cool to have.

The_Truth
10-11-2005, 10:39 PM

Me too. This is suposed to be fun, isn't it?

I don't even know anymore...

StoneWallAdam
10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Here my $.02. I don't mind exclusives. If people like them and buy them then GREAT. I had one Lava Vader from target. I bought it even though I hated it. In fact, I almost did not buy it. Anyway, after seeing it go on ebay I could not bring myself to open it. Why, because I wanted someone who MOMC collected it to have it. Better someone enjoy it in the case than for me to always look at it and say to myslef "what a piece of crap"

Anyway, I recently sold it for a small profit. What did I do with the money? Bought Clone and Sith evolutions and opened both! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bottom line, if you like it buy it and if you don't like it don't buy it. One's collection is one's own collection. My collection can be complete and totally satisfying without exclusives. I do not need or have to have every exclusive to be happy!

By the way, it seems to be Target exclusives and the way Target handles them that has really turned me off of Target and SW Target Exclusives. Some will disagree and say other stores do the same but for me and around here it has been Target. I don't plan on buying Lava obi and Anakin but if I see them and like them then I may just buy them. It's the quality of figure and the Coolness of the figure that determines if I buy. Evolution Sith and Clone have both quality and coolness, so I have both and they are opened. Lava Vader had some coolness but not enough in my own opinion to forgo the money (used on both sith and clone evolution). I look at it like this: I trade in my Lava Vader for a sith and clone evolution. Its basically the only figure in a year of collecting that has increased in value. BTW, I don't sell on ebay. If I want make money then all I have to do is ask for OT at work. My employer would be more than happy to give me all I want. Not bragging but just for example. I can almost earn what I sold that Lava vader for in about one hour of OT.

Star Wars is a hobby not a business. Which leads to my last point. People are buy several Exclusives and some are shelling out big bucks for exclusive because they think they are going to be worth something! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif What a joke. Not only do they collect SW Exclusives to try to make a profit but the potential to make a profit is so small. Anybody, want a complete collection of POTF2, EP1, POTJ, Saga, or ROTS can easily buy one for retail or many times less than retail on ebay! Collecting to make a profit to me is much different than collecting because you really dig SW figures. I am not saying that the latter is superior or passing judgement on what others do with their own money. To each his own. But to me there is a difference, right or wrong.

Ok, I am done ranting. I guess if the scalpers and hotwheel guys and Target employees don't buy them all and some are left I may just have to check some Target exclusives out and see if I like them enough to buy. The Target exclusive Jedi Starfighter is on my want list, here is hoping I get a shot at purchasing it!!

Adam

Yoda4501
10-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I too get tired of dealing with the scalpers. Making an exclusive draws all the blood sucking scalpers out of their caves and just makes it harder for true colletors. I personally am getting tired of some of these exclusives. I am done with them after the Target Clone. I wonder why Hasbro couldn't have used the ROTS #11 for the Lava Vader since they used the ROTS fiugres of Anakin and Obi Wan. They also put out exclusive clones figures that weren't event in the movie. Im tired of exclusives and will only buy the ones I like if I ever see them. I got my Target clone through a trade. I never saw them on the pegs. They also cost too darn much money. I never complained about the VOTC figures costing $12 but $13 for these exclusives is too much. Its just the standard packaging and a bulcky case that dont secure the figures like the star cases do. Yes, I am tired of exclusives.

JediKnutt
10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
My problem with exclusives is not all the stores seem to get them at the same time. They should be limited to 1 or 2 per customer if they are a limited edition. Like the Lava Vader. That way one guy can't go in and buy every single figure by the case fulls and stick them on ebay for double, or triple, the price. Wal-Mart exclusives are usually no problem to get because there are so many WM stores and they all get them about the same time. Not true of Target, Kmart, TRU or KB. I say limit them somehow and have them at all stores at the same time.

JangoandBobaFett
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Theyre not lame!