PDA

View Full Version : Tie Fighter Tampering!!!

Bosski
08-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Argh! Now this really bugs me! I went to Target today and found 2 of the new Tie Fighters with larger wings, one for me and the other for a friend. When I got home to open it up, I noticed that someone cleverly and carefully repackaged the KB Toys version Tie Fighter, or at least just the smaller wings, and returned it to Target. It gets worse! My friend calls me and he found the same problem with the other one that I picked up for him!!! It's bad enough when you do this with one ship, but two?! What, does this guy have to have a fleet of these or something? Check your Tie Fighters before you buy them. Look for extra tape and stress creases on the box from opening/reclosing.

Mattdude
08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
That's disgraceful, sorry to hear about that Swiski. I hope you're able to get your money back!

-Matt

tk421_1_2
08-29-2005, 06:20 PM
When I bought mine, I was specifically notified that if the tape on the packaging was in anyway tampered with that it was not returnable.

Having said that I have no fear that mine were tampered with since the pair I bought was still sealed in it's original carton. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

_Darth_Maul_
08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
That realy stinks.
Why are peolple like that.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sorry that happened to you.
Good luck with finding another one.

JS7
08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey -

Sorry to hear about the TIE tampering - which Target were they from??

LIToyKing
08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
didnt you notice the wings were not the size of the box when you bought it?

tk421_1_2
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM

He's got a good point- now that I'm looking at mine fresh from its case- the wings are visible through the packaging on each side. Maybe you were so happy to find it you didn't actually take the time to look??? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

_Darth_Maul_
08-29-2005, 07:45 PM

He's got a good point- now that I'm looking at mine fresh from its case- the wings are visible through the packaging on each side. Maybe you were so happy to find it you didn't actually take the time to look??? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ya those are some good points.

Zam
08-29-2005, 09:00 PM
I remember about two years into Star Wars collecting I met a scalper (forgive me I did not know it at first) a older guy who was on some sort of disablity. Anyway he went around buying the big AT-AT when they first hit-he would remove the 2 packed-in figures ( Commander& Driver) then take the AT-AT back get his money back! Claims he was getting $20.00 each for the figures at a flea market . You could not tell the figures were gone because there was not a window on the box- Needless to say after that I no longer hung around him! Crooked

Toonimator
08-29-2005, 10:20 PM
I remember about two years into Star Wars collecting I met a scalper (forgive me I did not know it at first) a older guy who was on some sort of disablity. Anyway he went around buying the big AT-AT when they first hit-he would remove the 2 packed-in figures ( Commander& Driver) then take the AT-AT back get his money back! Claims he was getting $20.00 each for the figures at a flea market . You could not tell the figures were gone because there was not a window on the box- Needless to say after that I no longer hung around him! Crooked

Wouldn't happen to have been a San Francisco scalper, would he? That must be why the $20 discounted AT-AT I got was missing the figures!! (and the side cannons)

Never occured to me back then that people would take the figures and return the toy... You only need to look at the GIJoe section of the Los Feliz/Glendale TRU to find the swipe-and-return practice going strong, with many Cobra gliders missing the pack-in figure (or carrying a Gung-Ho in its place), and around 6 of the Gung-Ho/Viper 2-packs contain 2 Gung-Hos and have had the Viper art in the bubble removed to help mask the fraud. TRU doesn't care, either, despite their "right to refuse" return policy. A thief's just gotta say "It was like this when I bought it" and they get their money back. This just still ends up back on pegs & shelves at full price, even when it's obviously incomplete, damaged, or fraudulent (how many times have you seen a CORPS figure in a GIJoe 2- or 5-pack? I've lost count myself)

GSDFanatic
08-29-2005, 10:53 PM

That's not scalping, that's just flat out being a thief. I can only picture some kid opening up his "new" toy to find the figures missing. People like that deserve to be clubbed in the kneecaps. The thief that is, not the kid http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, why does it seem like all scalpers are out of work on "disability"? God i hate them.

As far as the tie-fighter situation, don't stores keep records of people who make returns? I know when I used to work in retail we had to ask for a driver's lisence when someone made a return. Chances are they have that bum's info in the computer. I know that technically you can't prove that he did anything since he can just say he also bought them like that but maybe it will raise a flag the next time he comes in to return something.

Bosski
08-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I got my money back with no problems. I wish I would have examined the box and the product inside the window before buying it. I was in a hurry during lunch when I bought them. This was a Target in New Berlin, WI.

The_Truth
08-29-2005, 11:37 PM
That's really messed up. Do these people have no soul?

IslandOfSodor
08-29-2005, 11:53 PM
That does suck. So how big exactly is the box for this?

tk421_1_2
08-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I got my money back with no problems. I wish I would have examined the box and the product inside the window before buying it. I was in a hurry during lunch when I bought them. This was a Target in New Berlin, WI.

Something's not right here- the large wings fit snuggly in the packaging. The old Tie wings are little more than 1/2 the size of these wings- they would have rattled as bad as the kernal of popcorn in the bag. How could you not have noticed something like this???? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I smell prefabricated story.

Deak_Starkiller
08-30-2005, 03:52 AM
It gets worse!

Oh my! Hasbro could have packaged the Saga TIE pilot, and you would gotten the POTF2 version! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete_Windu
08-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Man, some people just flat out stink! If you don't have the money for a toy, when why the heck are you collecting...then you figure since he wanted it so bad that he had to steal it that he'd think twice about other collectors...what a jerk...this world can do without all of those people!

Bosski
08-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Something's not right here- the large wings fit snuggly in the packaging. The old Tie wings are little more than 1/2 the size of these wings- they would have rattled as bad as the kernal of popcorn in the bag. How could you not have noticed something like this???? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I smell prefabricated story.

What do I have to gain by prefabricating a story? I'm not looking for sympathy or attention. I have the receipt and took them back with no problems. People are getting clever with their repackaging skills and somehow I missed the cover-up when I bought them. There was a lot of extra black colored cardboard tucked inside. I thought that was just Hasbro's way of inserting extra packaging reinforcement.

CaptainJack
08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
BTW, why does it seem like all scalpers are out of work on "disability"? God i hate them.

This is an alarming trend that I have seen more than a few examples of. The disability system helps a lot of people who really can't work due to physical or mental disabilities. Unfortunately, it is also ripe for abuse. It is difficult and time consuming to prove that someone is able to work, so many questionable claims go uninvestigated for a long time. The kind of people who abuse this system to make money without working are exactly the kind of people looking to make money by cheating anyone and everyone. They also have plenty of free time on their hands since they "can't" work.

Darth_Pain
08-30-2005, 12:54 PM

That's not scalping, that's just flat out being a thief. I can only picture some kid opening up his "new" toy to find the figures missing. People like that deserve to be clubbed in the kneecaps. The thief that is, not the kid http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

As far as the tie-fighter situation, don't stores keep records of people who make returns? I know when I used to work in retail we had to ask for a driver's lisence when someone made a return. Chances are they have that bum's info in the computer. I know that technically you can't prove that he did anything since he can just say he also bought them like that but maybe it will raise a flag the next time he comes in to return something.

HEY, I was on disability, http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Man, I hate theives! Funny thing is, I used to be one when I was in my early teens. Then, I guess I realized what I was doing was hurting other people and now I'm like a friken boyscout w/o the corny outfit. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BobaMOTSU
08-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Some people can stoop so low. What would you compell you to do something like that to begin with!?!?!?!?!?!? Don't we have enough problems already, famine, war, pestilence, death, and now toy tampering!

Todd_F
08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
That sucks, really it does, but why assume it was done by a scalper? It could have just as easily been done by a very dishonest collector, God knows there are several that frequent these forums. They have no regard for others property and little, if any, tolerance for their fellow collectors collecting habits and opinions. Iím not trying to stick up for scalpers, but some of us need to stop blaming everything on them. Some of us need to stop being so naÔve as to think that a fellow collector could never do something so crappy because, Iím here to tell ya, some could! Stiill crappy nonetheless.

Darth_Anton
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tip. I would not have thought someone would pull that one. Now I know to keep an eye out for it.

Zam
08-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't happen to have been a San Francisco scalper, would he? That must be why the $20 discounted AT-AT I got was missing the figures!! (and the side cannons)

Never occured to me back then that people would take the figures and return the toy... You only need to look at the GIJoe section of the Los Feliz/Glendale TRU to find the swipe-and-return practice going strong, with many Cobra gliders missing the pack-in figure (or carrying a Gung-Ho in its place), and around 6 of the Gung-Ho/Viper 2-packs contain 2 Gung-Hos and have had the Viper art in the bubble removed to help mask the fraud. TRU doesn't care, either, despite their "right to refuse" return policy. A thief's just gotta say "It was like this when I bought it" and they get their money back. This just still ends up back on pegs & shelves at full price, even when it's obviously incomplete, damaged, or fraudulent (how many times have you seen a CORPS figure in a GIJoe 2- or 5-pack? I've lost count myself)
Yeah- No this guy was in Dallas,Texas -Funny thing is this was 1997 and he is still at I seen for the first time in years at WAL-MART during the Midnight Maddness ROTS in April.
I was buying the 12" Vader-Anakin set- he said "Nobody will buy that thing from you-it costs too much! Get some Clones!"
He said he is all over Ebay now- wish I knew his Ebay id!

knightone
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
That sucks, really it does, but why assume it was done by a scalper? It could have just as easily been done by a very dishonest collector, God knows there are several that frequent these forums. They have no regard for others property and little, if any, tolerance for their fellow collectors collecting habits and opinions. Iím not trying to stick up for scalpers, but some of us need to stop blaming everything on them. Some of us need to stop being so naÔve as to think that a fellow collector could never do something so crappy because, Iím here to tell ya, some could! Stiill crappy nonetheless.

Exactly. When the ROTS Mega 2-packs started showing up, how many people were on here either bragging that they had or saying they were going to switch out the Bail Organa figure for a second AT-TE gunner figure? Very, very uncool. Especially for those of us who found a bunch of Bail Organa two packs. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

kitt1987
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Glad my TIE is authentic then! I had asked a Target employee if I could get one (showed him the DCPI #) and he happily went back to get one...this was 5 minutes before they closed. Would you believe the dude came out with two freakin' cases and asked me how many I wanted? I just told him one considering the bloody price, he obliged me and put the remaining three on the shelf. What a good lad! I've got my ONE....now if only they'll re-release the thing at a cheaper price I'd get more!

Darth_Anton
08-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Here's my question. I finally pick one of these up last night. How can you not notice the panels? They're huge and in plain view. I know I've over looked some obvious things before, in fact, I held some ROTS figures, looking at them all excited for about two minutes before I noticed that the figures had been swapped with saga/POTF2 figures, but I'm not too sure I could have walked out of the store with swapped solar panels.

DouglasMcc
08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
As others have pointed out, the side panels of the box should be a dead giveaway. However, I put more blame on the return desk than a customer. Now, collectors should notice this. Average customer may not (they do not see all the advance pics.. and some of these repackagers are very good). The people at the return desk should be able to tell in this case that its the wrong item. Now, they may not be able to accuse the returner (could actually be a previous returner or maybe an employee) but they shouldn't put them back on the shelves.

If you are going to do something like this people - and I am not condoning it - have the decency to tell them its defective. At least then, they won't put it back out on the shelves.

tk421_1_2
08-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Here's my question. I finally pick one of these up last night. How can you not notice the panels? They're huge and in plain view. I know I've over looked some obvious things before, in fact, I held some ROTS figures, looking at them all excited for about two minutes before I noticed that the figures had been swapped with saga/POTF2 figures, but I'm not too sure I could have walked out of the store with swapped solar panels.

That's what I was trying to figure out- the new panels are SOOO big, you'd have to go through ALOT of trouble to swap them out and put in enough packaging to make it look like you could return it. I don't want to offend anyone but this really doesn't make sense.

Darth_Anton
08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
That's what I was trying to figure out- the new panels are SOOO big, you'd have to go through ALOT of trouble to swap them out and put in enough packaging to make it look like you could return it. I don't want to offend anyone but this really doesn't make sense.

Swapping them out isn't hard, it's getting them to stay in place without rattling around, that's the trick. I would say you would have to tape them to the package, i.e. the window, otherwise, they wouldn't sit well in the package.

DeathSquadron
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
This makes me angrier than the two AT-ST pilot Solos I found today masquerading as Commanders Bacara.

Dhivael
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
This makes me angrier than the two AT-ST pilot Solos I found today masquerading as Commanders Bacara.

LOL i actually woulda baught one lol. sometimes this seems like a good way to get old figures LOL.

No issue with TIE Tampering, as i got two freash from a case :P