PDA

View Full Version : Whats our chances of seeing an AT-AT walker?

agbasp
08-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Their going for to much on ebay for me to buy an old one. I want one alot.

MasterGrievous
08-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Not very likely. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

agbasp
08-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Why not?

knightone
08-18-2005, 02:19 AM
This subject is brought up at least once a week, but it's always good to discuss the possibility of the AT-TE anf other large vehicles. Maybe if more and more people start talking about it, it might just happen one day.

Hasbro has said time and time again that molds for vehicles cost too much to make and to develop as it is. They aren't willing to do it especially if size and potential retail cost presents too much of a risk. The market for large vehicles is very small due to the prices that have to be charged. The AT-AT re-release a few years ago bombed pretty bad at retail. People just aren't willing to pay the high costs for such a large piece. I would, maybe you would, and a relative handful of others would as well but that's not enough to justify producing it in Hasbro's opinion. They'd rather produce smaller vehicles that cost less to develop, produce, and sell and take up less space on the shelves than something like the AT-TE. Smaller vehicles move faster due to the lower price tag and take up less shipping and shelf space (and therefore allow more to be stocked at one time) and thus is the more profitable direction for Hasbro to move in when considering new vehicles.

Personally, I would love to have an AT-TE. However, time and time again, Hasbro has said large vehicles such as the AT-TE and the Turbo Tank have little chance to ever be produced by them. For the time being, the only vehicles we will be seeing are either straight rehashes or slightly retooled rehashes. The best chance for us to see an AT-TE would be if it is featured regularly and prominently in the upcoming Star Wars TV series or Clone Wars animated series or for the upcoming 3-D releases of Episodes II and III (if any of those endeavors actually end up taking off). Even then, the chances are low due to the size of the AT-TE and the cost of it.

Even if they do cheat the size (like they have done with pretty much every vehicle) they would still have to scale it to fit at least a driver and a gunner and in such a way that it did not look grossly undersized. It's certainly doable, but how well would it do at retail? History has shown that it would probably sit until clearanced out for way below any cost that would be worth it for Hasbro or the retailers carrying it (remember, the AT-AT re-release ended up clearancing for $10-$20 when it's original retail was $80-$100 back in the mid-90's).

Any future vehicles from Hasbro will probably be smaller ones that haven't been produced yet. There's a plethora of small vehicles that they could tap into. With the list of small vehicles that could be made and sold for less being relatively long and potentially growing with any possible upcoming SW projects, the chances of Hasbbro actually taking the AT-TE into consideration is pretty much none.

CaptainJack
08-18-2005, 07:49 AM
The prices on eBay really aren't that bad. If you're patient, you can get one MIMB for $80-$90. If you want an opened one, you can get one for around $70. You just have to keep looking, and have some luck. Those prices are better than the original retail.

Neal
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
The AT-AT re-release a few years ago bombed pretty bad at retail.

The AT-AT was never re-released at retail ... at least not in the modern line. It can out in the POTF2 line ... and then showed up on clearance some time later.

Darth_Tedious
08-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Why not?

I agree. I could see it being an EE exclusive or something like that. I'd love to see the AT-AT re-re-released.

CaptainJack
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree. I could see it being an EE exclusive or something like that. I'd love to see the AT-AT re-re-released.

Well, they do have a mold and an exclusive run should reduce the overstock, but it still just doesn't seem like somthing they'd bother with. I think that it is possible that a non-electronic version of the same mold may show up at some point, Hasbro would need to have a good reason to do it. Maybe when ESB goes 3-D.

Wingnut
08-18-2005, 08:24 AM
I can see it in a re-release similar to the Imperial Shuttle but thats as far as it'll ever go. It needs to be a limited release because they lose way too much money with widescale.

efranks
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I can see it in a re-release similar to the Imperial Shuttle but thats as far as it'll ever go. It needs to be a limited release because they lose way too much money with widescale.

You're forgetting that a smaller run means a higher price and it doesn't matter if that's on-line or at a store. If the original price on the POTF2 AT-AT was $80 it's not going to be any cheaper than that.

Since you can still buy one on eBay for $80-$100 if you look, why not just buy one there? I guarantee that IF Hasbro released a new AT-AT it would cost more than $80.

And I highly doubt that Hasbro is going to make a new mold for a vehicle like the AT-TE when they wouldn't do it for a movie year. Maybe, if something drastically increased SW popularity and there was another event as big as a movie release, we could see something like this, but I doubt it.

E...

tk421_1_2
08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
How about an increase in the number of fans willing to spend some money on one? That would help more than just, "Hey I want one....but not for $80."

Neal
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
How about an increase in the number of fans willing to spend some money on one? That would help more than just, "Hey I want one....but not for $80."

Yup. But no ... everyone must wait until the bigger items go on clearance before they buy them. And then they wonder why we don't see many large vehicles and playsets.

_Darth_Maul_
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
dont like at-at toys if they would make them the right scale that would be awsome even though it would be alot of money
but hasbro would never do somthing like that

Lukes_Dad
08-18-2005, 08:27 PM

Yup. But no ... everyone must wait until the bigger items go on clearance before they buy them. And then they wonder why we don't see many large vehicles and playsets.

I was one of the fans (read: suckers) who bought an AT-At when it first came out for $80 - I even special ordered it from Service Merchandise. It was one of those vehicles that I didn't get with my vintage collection and always wanted. I made out pretty well when the clearance sale happened and bought 3 more. *(edited for halp-asleep grammar)

knightone
08-18-2005, 09:15 PM
The AT-AT re-release a few years ago bombed pretty bad at retail.

The AT-AT was never re-released at retail ... at least not in the modern line. It can out in the POTF2 line ... and then showed up on clearance some time later.

I was talking about the POTF 2 release. I consider that line "modern" as it marked the beginning of new production SW toys. The only ones I don't consider "modern" are the true "vintage" toys (Droids, Ewoks, POTF 1, and before). I consider it a re-release rather than a new release because it's actually just a slight retool of the vintage mold.

richie894
08-19-2005, 03:03 PM
i see brianstoys are asking $199 for a modern one!!!

Neal
08-19-2005, 03:22 PM
i see brianstoys are asking $199 for a modern one!!!

Wow ... is that all? Hell ... at prices so reasonable, you might as well buy two!
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maynard
08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Thank goodness I picked up 7 of these on clearance back in like '99 or so.
However, I really wouldn't think that it's that far a stretch for Hasbro to just put this same toy in a new box and sell it again. They've done it with A LOT of other POTF2 stuff, why not an AT-AT?

Yoda4501
08-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Exactly. They are realeasing the Falcon again in another box. The OTC one is still on many shelves until they clearance it down. Make another AT-AT please.

Mattdude
08-26-2005, 06:30 PM
dont like at-at toys if they would make them the right scale that would be awsome even though it would be alot of money but hasbro would never do somthing like that

Wouldn't a true-to-scale AT-AT be, like, the size of a horse?

-Matt

_Darth_Maul_
08-26-2005, 08:31 PM
No not the size of a hourse. heres a pic of the right scaled at-at walker: AT-AT Walker (http://threads.rebelscum.com/printthread.php?Board=UBB2&main=1322494&type=post)

knightone
08-26-2005, 09:08 PM
No not the size of a hourse. heres a pic of the right scaled at-at walker: AT-AT Walker (http://threads.rebelscum.com/printthread.php?Board=UBB2&main=1322494&type=post)

Alright then, the size of a pony. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's still a freakin' big model. If anyone, anyone at all, made that for mass production, expect to pay $1500-$2000 for it.

ObiShaanKenobi
08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
This subject is brought up at least once a week, but it's always good to discuss the possibility of the AT-TE anf other large vehicles. Maybe if more and more people start talking about it, it might just happen one day.

Hasbro has said time and time again that molds for vehicles cost too much to make and to develop as it is. They aren't willing to do it especially if size and potential retail cost presents too much of a risk. The market for large vehicles is very small due to the prices that have to be charged. The AT-AT re-release a few years ago bombed pretty bad at retail. People just aren't willing to pay the high costs for such a large piece. I would, maybe you would, and a relative handful of others would as well but that's not enough to justify producing it in Hasbro's opinion. They'd rather produce smaller vehicles that cost less to develop, produce, and sell and take up less space on the shelves than something like the AT-TE. Smaller vehicles move faster due to the lower price tag and take up less shipping and shelf space (and therefore allow more to be stocked at one time) and thus is the more profitable direction for Hasbro to move in when considering new vehicles.

Personally, I would love to have an AT-TE. However, time and time again, Hasbro has said large vehicles such as the AT-TE and the Turbo Tank have little chance to ever be produced by them. For the time being, the only vehicles we will be seeing are either straight rehashes or slightly retooled rehashes. The best chance for us to see an AT-TE would be if it is featured regularly and prominently in the upcoming Star Wars TV series or Clone Wars animated series or for the upcoming 3-D releases of Episodes II and III (if any of those endeavors actually end up taking off). Even then, the chances are low due to the size of the AT-TE and the cost of it.

Even if they do cheat the size (like they have done with pretty much every vehicle) they would still have to scale it to fit at least a driver and a gunner and in such a way that it did not look grossly undersized. It's certainly doable, but how well would it do at retail? History has shown that it would probably sit until clearanced out for way below any cost that would be worth it for Hasbro or the retailers carrying it (remember, the AT-AT re-release ended up clearancing for $10-$20 when it's original retail was $80-$100 back in the mid-90's).

Any future vehicles from Hasbro will probably be smaller ones that haven't been produced yet. There's a plethora of small vehicles that they could tap into. With the list of small vehicles that could be made and sold for less being relatively long and potentially growing with any possible upcoming SW projects, the chances of Hasbbro actually taking the AT-TE into consideration is pretty much none.

Exactly and Hasbro even said that any new vehicles would be rehashes.

sambuca
09-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Threepio says:
"The odds of an AT-AT being re-released are 3,720 to 1!"

Neal
09-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Threepio says:

"Never tell me the odds."
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

knightone
09-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Threepio says:

Those are actually better odds than what I came up with, so I think that's being overly optimistic. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rebel_Commander
03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Earlier it looked good to see one, I haven't heard an update for some time.Is there any new info on these out there?

Narukami
03-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Perhaps I am mistaken, but was there not an announcement some weeks ago that Hasbro plans to release the AT-AT this summer/fall in 'new' Endor colors?

Perhaps someone in the Group Mind will either confirm or correct my statement.

They also have plans, so we hear, to release the Hailfire Droid and the Dorid Assault Tank this fall. This is, I think, good news for collectors, army builders and kids who have "active" collections, but bad news for those individuals who hope to make a living by selling Star Wars Toys.

I know my grandson will put these re-release items to good use. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do find it surprising that prices on E-bay for these continues to run high. Perhaps they will not fall until the new items are actually on the market.

PizzatheHut
03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
At this point, none of these vehicles have been confirmed by Hasbro, and without that Ebayers will continue to bid high. Once we have an official announcement, prices will start to come down, but in the case of the AT-AT at least, the Endor version will have a different deco, so bids may still be high on the first Hoth version.

Narukami
03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
You are quite right PizzatheHut.

Good point.

I had thought the AT-AT was offcial but in fact nothing it certain until we actually see it, and even then I sometimes have my doubts...

sflamme
03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
I believe Saga 2006 would be a good time to re-release old vehicles which either were produced a long time ago (in a... whatever) or which were not particularly common. The AT-AT, AAT and Hailfire Droid are good candidates IMHO, and i wouldn't be surprised if they re-released an AT-ST as well.

At least, the odds are unfortunately more in favor of those re-releases than in favor of an AT-TE.

JediJman
03-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Isn't this already confirmed? I swear I read that an Endor version of the At-AT was due out this year. I already wrote it off - I have too many of the POTF2 at-ats to display anyway.

sflamme
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I have too many of the POTF2 at-ats to display anyway.

Can i be of any help? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CaptainJack
03-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I think its been "confirmed" by several quality sources, but Hasbro hasn't made any kind of official announcement- meaning it could be canceled, delayed, or changed at any moment.

TheCricket
03-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the Endor AT-AT was on the rumor list from the Rebelscum main page. Recently added to that are the AAT and Hailfire. That's fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

Of the rest of the previously-released vehicles, there's a bunch I would like to see. Any TIE version. The Eopie or Falumpaset from EpI. The AT-ST. The B-Wing.

JediJman
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I have too many of the POTF2 at-ats to display anyway.

Can i be of any help? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LOL! Well actually, if anyone wants a boxed POTF2 AT-AT or Millenium Falcon (I never opened either box, still mint and sealed), I do need to clear up some space so shoot me a PM.

eleavitt2000
03-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I would like to see Clone Wars stuff re-released. I would also to see the Bantha, Rancor, Han with Tauntaun, and Eopie.