PDA

View Full Version : new at-at?

yodamaster
08-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Hello all. I am new to the boards. I was wondering if there has been any word regarding another at-at being released. I know the tie fighter will be in the new saga line but do not know of any other vehicles. Thanks for any info.

CommanderRedd
08-06-2005, 10:14 PM
No word of a AT-AT yet. I hope they will. The kenner one is superb.

knightone
08-06-2005, 10:14 PM
The last time the AT-AT was released at retail, it basically tanked so chances are pretty slim for a re-release. However, with Hasbro, anything is possible but nothing has been announced as of yet concerning an AT-AT.

Killer185
08-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Don't even expect a rehash... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ranat
08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
I doubt they would re-release the AT-AT.

GNT
08-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Pass, it'll cost an absolute fortune if they released it in this day and age, while I doubt we'll see it for some time unless it was a limited exclusive then it might stand a chance but nope don't want to see it again anytime soon.

Deak_Starkiller
08-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Ditto. But my dreams upon 'improving' it would be a correctly proportioned head. I wouldn't mind though if it would accomodate one figure this time though. The interior could feature troop seating with perhaps accomodation for a speeder bike...better yet, give us a Hoth speeder bike w/Hoth biker scout like the Lego version. I'd shell out some dough for that.

LIToyKing
08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I hope so........

I dont mind picking up another 12 at-ats for $10 a piece after they discount them again for not selling!

NuteGunray
08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd like a new AT-AT since I don't have the POTF2 one.

i_know
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
$10 a piece for an imperial walker?

knightone
08-07-2005, 01:36 PM

That's how much they clearanced for at many chains after it failed to sell. A good number of people made out pretty nicely with $10 AT-ATs. Unfortunately, I was not one of them. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dhivael
08-07-2005, 02:33 PM
which sucks becaus i paid the 90 price tag... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif if they release another at under 50 ill pick up another http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luke_Skywalker77
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Well they did rerelease the Falcon which shelfwarmed nicely, and theyre doing it again for the ROTS line, only this time 20 bucks cheaper. Hopefully next year the AT-AT will be rereleased as an exclusive around the 39.99-49.99 pricepoint!

efranks
08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I hope so........

I dont mind picking up another 12 at-ats for $10 a piece after they discount them again for not selling!

Which is exactly why I don't think they'll be released again any time soon. If they were $90 8 years ago they probably aren't going to be any cheaper released again. And it would probably cost more if it was an exclusive (retail or on-line).

If it was released again I bet most of you asking for it here wouldn't pony up that much cash for it. Because if you would, you'd go to eBay and get it now. You can find them for retail price if you look.

E...

JEDITOMKATT
08-07-2005, 06:25 PM
It would be nice to see the At-At again. The POTF skiff and AT-AT are both missing from my collection

Lukes_Dad
08-07-2005, 08:30 PM

That's how much they clearanced for at many chains after it failed to sell. A good number of people made out pretty nicely with $10 AT-ATs. Unfortunately, I was not one of them. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I thought these were blown out at $10-$20 each because of Hasbro factory overstock and the deal that they made with Toys R Us and KB?

knightone
08-07-2005, 09:37 PM

I thought these were blown out at $10-$20 each because of Hasbro factory overstock and the deal that they made with Toys R Us and KB?

"Overstock" is a good term to cover up a product that failed to move at retail. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's not good for a company to let on that an $80 piece of merchandise had to be discounted to $10 because people wouldn't fork over the cash to cover the high price tag.

_Darth_Maul_
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
not sure if out yet but there going to be a limited edition at-at mineature figure for the game

tk421_1_2
08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
And you can pretty much write-off Hasbro making an AT-TE. Penny pinching 'collectors' wouldn't buy it back in 1998- no way we'll get an AT-TE in our lifetime.

Anywaze, if you look on ebay- the POTF2 one is currently selling for about $100-120 which is less than what you would have paid for at retail. Go figure that one out. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Seize9
08-08-2005, 01:56 AM
How is it less though, weren't those like 89$ when they came out?

I ended up getting mine from Ebay for 60$ shipped a few years ago...that was after I had totally slipped with the KB sales-I saw them once for 20$ and didn't pick them up. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tk421_1_2
08-08-2005, 02:16 AM
How is it less though, weren't those like 89$ when they came out?

$89 < $100 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tyranusspotting
08-08-2005, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't mind another one IF they completely redo the head and alter the torso a bit. They legs and the guns can stay the same, though.

Wishful thinking but how about a remote controlled version?
Galoob could do it, so I guess it would be even easier to do on a 3 3/ 4" scale. Then again, more expensive to produce.

Remote Controlled Action Fleet AT-AT Walkers (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/remotecontrolkbjcpcompare.jpg) http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LIToyKing
08-08-2005, 07:14 AM

yes, TOYS R US discounted them to $10 as well as the 12" HAN & TAUN TAUN years ago.

stylie_steve
08-08-2005, 08:08 AM
I doubt this vehicle will see a rehash. Its just too big and expensive.

Things like this and the Shuttle are the things you should have brought first time around as I really can't see Hasbro wanting to rehash them at a later date.

If you missed one try Ebay, it'll be your best chance of getting one.

canadadry
08-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Well maybe they can just make an AT and then people can buy two at a time.

Trooper31
08-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Although I don't think they will offer this again, our best hope is when the 6 pack DVDs come out in 2007 (I'm assuming here) or possibly when the films are released in 3D or in cinemas again.

Michael_Ritter
08-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I remember at one time it was rumored that TRU had bought out Hasbro's overstock for pennies on the dollar. I remember hearing figures were costing TRU 1-5 cents and the ATAT cost them somewhere around $1. I don't know how accurate the numbers are but they are what I heard back then.

I walked into my TRU and saw a stack of 6 ATATs at $10 a piece and only bought 2. And how many figures sold at the $1.97 price tag? I have lots of stormies and FF Fetts from that sale.

Regarding a new ATAT, don't count on it. Hasbro has repeatedly said high price point vehicles do not move. Even the new ARC170 sits at $30 and the falcon at $60. A non electric ATAT with no figures would still be in the $60-80 range. Sorry.

Mike

Habs98
08-08-2005, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't mind a new one since the last AT-AT I owned was the Vintage one.

Yoda4501
08-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I would love to see another AT-AT walker. I dont have the POTF2 verion so it would be something I would definitely pick up. I doubt it will happen but I can dream. I would like to see a lot of playsets made also, like Dagobah and Ewok Village. Hope they make some new vehicles and touch them up.

efranks
08-08-2005, 11:19 PM
So, I guess the obvious question is; if all you guys want an AT-AT, even the POTF2 version, why don't you just go to eBay and buy one?

I think I know the answer; you don't want to pay $80 for one.

But the fact is, even if Hasbro put it out, it probably wouldn't be any cheaper than that. So why not just buy one on eBay? If you want it that bad, $100 shipped isn't such a bad deal.

E...

Yoda4501
08-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Id like them to make a newer updated version with changes to the POTF2 version. Ebay is always an option but most go for over a $100 and they retailed for under $100 if Im not mistaken.

i_know
08-09-2005, 04:42 AM
My armchair product maker tells me that this price point is complete BS. There is no way that there is so much more plastic then say the Falcon that this can't be a $50 item. The majority of the piece(the body) is a hollow piece of plastic. They should make it so that the buyer has to assemble the legs themselves thereby cutting down on the box size, and the space that the store has to use to make room for it. Maybe this is how it was anyway. Someone let me know.

Tyranusspotting
08-09-2005, 04:52 AM
The legs weren't assembled on the POTF II version either.
I would only be interested in another AT-AT if the head was redone, same with the neck which is mostly leaning down, due to the turning feature. If they could fix that and have the feature still existant, that would be great. The body could be modified a little as well.

Slambo
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
How about a whole AT-AT vehicle set, that's accurately scaled. It would be about two feet tall assembled, so it's not too big. Include 40 non articulated (probably a fetal position or knees up sitting) snow troopers, and both two assemblable AT-ST walkers and 5 Hoth speeders. This way way you can fit inside it's advertised cargo. They could make this exclusive either to the Times Square TRU in NY or to FAO (if it still exists). Either way, target towards NYC parents as a Christmas present and tie in to the DVD release (include a free DVD).

Another idea, is they make it into a carrying case that includes a commander (Veers) and a Driver. This could go for thirty-fourty dollars and would sell like hotcakes.

Yoda4501
09-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I think its a long shot they will rehash the potf2 version. Getting an even bigger AT-AT that is more to scale, it will never happen. It would be cool but it would cost too much money

Slambo
09-21-2005, 12:00 AM
It wouldn't cost too much to Hasbro.

CaptainJack
09-21-2005, 07:27 AM
it might not cost all that much to Hasbro, but it alos would only sell about 7. What you describe would probably retail for about $1,200. There is obviously some demand for a re-release of the AT-AT, but since people don't like to pay full price for large vehicles, I still see it as a long shot.

Slambo
09-21-2005, 07:50 AM
If Hasbro wants to make money, they could sell it for 100 dollars, targeted towards the NYC and sell a lot of them. Alternatively, they could do a carrying case with detachable legs.

efranks
09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
If Hasbro wants to make money, they could sell it for 100 dollars, targeted towards the NYC and sell a lot of them. Alternatively, they could do a carrying case with detachable legs.

Huh? I think you've lost touch with a little something that I like to call "reality."

E...

Slambo
09-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Um, I know that's true, but which part of my post gave that away?

E_CHU_TA
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
so why do they make this new big miniatures at-at for $50 but not rerelease ours?

knightone
09-24-2005, 01:30 AM
Um, I know that's true, but which part of my post gave that away?

Do you remember an FAO Schwartz exclusive a few years ago that went by the name of Imperial Shuttle? It was a $100 exclusive sold through a high end toy store/catalog in NYC and elsewhere. It bombed. It bombed bad. The AT-AT bombed as well when it was in wide release, what makes you think it would do well if the same or similar toy was an exclusive aimed at the high end market and in such a very specific geographic location?

Slambo
09-24-2005, 11:42 AM
The shuttle had no storage room or pack-ins. If you look at my post, you notice that mine has both.

Slambo
09-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I'd rather have a minis scale AT-AT than a Hasbro one.

efranks
09-24-2005, 12:45 PM
You need to keep a few things in mind. The original AT-AT sold for $80 - $90 depending on what retailer you went to. It's a large vehicle so the box is going to be quite large. Even the POTF2 box was huge and it came unassembled so it would still be a big box.

What stores, in non-movie years, carry large vehicles like that? Not WM or K-Mart. That leaves you with KB, TRU and Target. Since there is a good chance that WM wouldn't carry it, that leaves Hasbro with having to make it an exclusive. TRU will take large vehicles and Target likes exclusives. The other option is on-line exclusive. All of those choices have drawbacks.

Exclusives usually mean a slightly higher price. Meaning that even if Hasbro could sell this at a lower price by reusing the vintage/POTF2 mold, the fact that it won't be a wide release means that it probably wouldn't be lower than $80 again, at least. Possibly more. Pack-in figures may or may not impact that price since, as an exclusive, they'd reuse a figure. If they threw more than 1 or 2 figures in the price would definitely go up.

If it was on-line not only would you have to deal with a higher price, you'd have to deal with shipping. On a vehicle this size you're looking at $10 at least. Now you're getting close to $100 on this vehicle.

People are unwilling to pay $100 for a vehicle no matter what you think. The FAO Shuttle was $150. When they couldn't sell it for that they dumped their stock and it showed up at KB for $50 - $100 (originally $100 but even they discounted it). That's a LOSER for Hasbro and the retailer. Probably nobody wants to take a chance on a $100 vehicle again, which has to be one of the reasons that we didn't have a vehicle in that price range for ROTS which was a movie year.

The fact that you can go to eBay NOW and get a POTF2 AT-AT, sealed in box, for $100 makes me wonder why you'd want one in stores anyway? If they did re-release it the best you could hope for is the same vehicle with possibly new paint. And you might even get it without the electronics which may or may not be a selling point for some. If you are willing to pay $100 for this vehicle go buy it now.

The problem with a lot of the people here that say they want this vehicle is that they don't want to pay $100 for it. If they did, they could own it now. They want it to come to retail at $100 again so they can NOT buy it and wait for it to hit clearance. Why would Hasbro do that? I wouldn't, it's bad business.

There is also a difference between the POTF2 version and the WOTC mini version. The POTF2 version is larger with more assembly and movable parts. That means it's more expensive to manufacture. So, while you can sell a mini for $50 you can't sell the POTF2 version for that much. And really, $50 is a LOT of money for that mini, but it is large and cool and new.

The other thing with the mini is that it's a different market than the POTF2 version. It's for the game market with some crossover appeal. A POTF2 version is aimed at toy/figure collectors. Gamers may or may not be into that. They will, however, drop $50 for a game piece. There are some people that don't game but were MicroMachine and mini fans that are collecting these pieces, not to play the game, but because they're cool. That makes a $50 mini AT-AT a possible hit, so, it got made.

So, while I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't have an AT-AT that would like to buy one, I'm pretty certain that unless something major changes, Hasbro isn't going to release it again. If you don't mind spending $100 for an AT-AT, go buy a POTF2 version on eBay. And if you want a re-sculpted version of the AT-AT? Well, there's even LESS of a chance that'll happen. Especially one that is closer in scale to the 3.75" action figures.

Slambo
09-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I'd be willing to spend $100 of Holiday money to get a properly scaled AT-AT with storage room and pack-ins. Heck, I'd spend $100 for a mini AT-AT, two mini AT-STs, and 40 mini Snowtroopers.

Masterfett
09-25-2005, 01:17 PM
To be quite frank the Shuttle never made it my way or I would have bought one! Secondly what would you rather of had the Shuttle or an re-issued AT-AT? My vote goes to the AT-AT.

eleavitt2000
09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
I keep retelling my sad story whenever anyone says yea, or nea toward vehicles or repaints.

I had every toy released from 1995 through the beginning of 2002 except for the Fambaa and the last three POTJ figures. I bought at least one of everything. I even had two 1998 AT-ATs and a B-Wing, and two Target Y-Wings. Sure when stuff was clearanced at TRU and KB, I bought a few more.

Sadly, in 2002 I sold everything to a prominent over-priced oneline retailer headquartered in a small town in Wisconisn for less that I had paid at retail. I had to at the time because my wife was making me choose between Star Wars and G.I.Joe at that time.

I started over in late 2004 and in 2005, am content with my collection. I am happy that all of those POTF2 figures do not need to be purchased again, because better versions of those characters exist.

Nevertheless, I now would like to see things released.

The Saga and OTC lines satisfied many of my needs. Now, I need certain vehicles and figures re-released like R2-Q5, R2-B1, Teebo, Sio Bibble, Gungan Warrior, R4-I9, R2-R9, the AT-ST, the AT-AT, the Y-Wing, the B-Wing, the Imperial Shuttle, the TIE-Bomber, the TIE Interceptor, the Snowspeeder, and Luke's Electronic FX style Dagobah X-Wing.

I hope in the coming years these see the light of day again.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I own two Target "large-wing" TIE Fighters bought for $40 each and I won a U.S.S. Flagg and a Terror Drome. I may be the exception, but I vote with my wallet.

clonedjedi
09-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Shuttle never made it my way or I would have bought one.
I to never saw one, or AT AT for that matter.
I am all for hasbro putting the at at and the shuttle on the hasbro website. That way no store is screaming about shelf space. They could keep it forever just in some warehouse, so when the next star wars collector comes around the can get it from the website. or not

CHEWIE
09-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I have 4 of the POTF2 AT-AT's, and the vintage sculpt is still a thing of beauty to me.

If they re-released it, I would love to see it marketed as a ROTJ version, maybe with some sort of screen-scene esque pack-in of Vader, Luke, and the Imperial Officer who hands Vader Luke's lightsaber.

One thing for sure though, they'd never be able to make something like this to scale. It would be about 5 feet tall!

As for the AT-TE, I wish they'd make it. But I see that as highly unlikely for the same reason that TK421-1/2 said.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Slambo
09-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Funny, you say that. I bought my AT-AT solely for the Endor scene. It just doesn't fit with my other Hoth vehicles.

CHEWIE
09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Funny, you say that. I bought my AT-AT solely for the Endor scene. It just doesn't fit with my other Hoth vehicles.

Slambo, I'd like to see a pic of your Endor scene. Maybe you could open a thread in the custom dioramas section?

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Slambo
09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I could send in a picture of my cluttered basement. I am but a few pieces away from having everything I need to make all of my scenes. I'll try to clear out some space to set up a quick Endor surrender scene.

Philip_Marlowe
09-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I wish I still had my AT-AT. It just didn't make it through all of my Hoth Battles as a kid.

Slambo
09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
What happened to it?

CaptainJack
09-26-2005, 07:25 AM
The vintage AT-AT was not really built for rough kid-play. Eventually, the thing can't stand up anymore, then the legs won't stay on. Once the legs broke, it was a flying vehicle, but then the cargo bay door and the "neck" wnet and it had to be put out of its misery.

Slambo
09-26-2005, 07:30 AM
If you have it, I'd buy it off you for shipping cost and a few bucks.

CaptainJack
09-26-2005, 07:36 AM
It was disposed of about 20 years ago.

Darth_Tedious
09-26-2005, 08:11 AM
I used my AT-AT like more of a playset than a vehicle. I still have it in mint condition. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish I had picked up a POTF2 AT-AT though.

Hasbro has to re-re-release the AT-AT. Even if it's an EE exclusive or something.

knightone
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I'd be willing to spend $100 of Holiday money to get a properly scaled AT-AT with storage room and pack-ins.

Unfortunately, something like that would cost a great deal more than $100, even if it weren't an exclusive.

As for storage space in the shuttle, it doesn't matter, it's not a selling point. The features of a toy aren't the primary selling points at all. Price is. Once a toy gets over a certain price, most consumers (collectors or not) won't touch it. The AOTC gunship had difficulties selling and it was only $40. You may be willing to pay $100 for an AT-AT re-release, I may be willing to pay that, but those that are willing make up only a handfull of the market. Heck, I'd pay $200-$300 for an AT-TE (several of them, in fact), but I have a feeling I'm in an extreme minority in that respect.

Sithmatic
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I would certainly love to have an AT-AT even though I don't have any space to display it its still my favorite vehicle!..I regret not buying the POTf version when it came out!.. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CaptainJack
09-26-2005, 12:38 PM
All the people who regret not getting a POTF AT-AT, check eBay, they really don't sell for all that much. Many times MIMB ones go for around original retail including shipping. If you want it loose, its not much less, but they do sometimes go for between $60-$80.