PDA

View Full Version : Stop freaking out, there wont be rehashes

Josh
08-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Ive been seeing everywhere people worried about rehashes, If I recall correctly, at the Hasbro pannel at SDCC(that I was in the front row for), They said they will be having an even mix of collector value and play value, also all the new figures will be new sculpts with near or SA! So relax http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

_Darth_Maul_
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
we are not freaking out just wooried cause alot of rots are rehashes

CJHawk
08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Personally I'm not freaking out about this, but it is my understanding that both Barada and Boba Fett from the Carkoon wave will be rereleased/repainted figures. So the line at least starts with repeats. I wasn't at SDCC so my information is only secondhand from sites like this. Wasn't a comment made that the Hoth wave would feature several figures that will be a first in the line. I would agree with Josh's assessment that there will be lots of quality figures to come. I am just under the opinion that there will be a handful of repeats thrown in the mix too.

Smitty
08-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Wasn't a comment made that the Hoth wave would feature several figures that will be a first in the line.

Oh god maybe finally a Major Derlin figure. Major Derlin played by John Ratzenberger aka Cliff Clavin!

-cs™

ThisIsMadness91
08-03-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm not bothered about rehashes. If I have it, I'll just leave it and move on. If I don't, it's a good way to pick up a "new" figure.

dirtnapper
08-03-2005, 07:21 AM
I think everything is going to a-okay with the saga line. Maybe this is Hasbro's time to shine. I guess we will just have to wait and see. How exciting!

Darth_Anton
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
There will be rehashes. I has been confirmed that half of the first wave are indeed rehashes. I don't care myself, it just means that there's less figures to buy. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nagauthier
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Ive been seeing everywhere people worried about rehashes, If I recall correctly, at the Hasbro pannel at SDCC(that I was in the front row for), They said they will be having an even mix of collector value and play value, also all the new figures will be new sculpts with near or SA! So relax http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

An even mix means that at least half of the figures will be repacks. As far as Hasbro is concerned, Cantina Han has great play value for kids, and they're probably right to some extent. Really, you can't read too much into it when they say stuff like that. It's their job to be vague at this point. Obviously they're not going to come to a panel and say "Get ready for 50% rehashes next year!" It's bad PR.

08-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Yet again, clarification on this type of statement is needed. ROTS weren't rehashes of figures (maybe two or three), they were more like rehashes of figures. However, given the fact that ROTS was a movie and that therefore it was a "movie year", character rehashes are required.

And whats funny to me is seeing everyone proclaim their intentions to either quit collecting altogether (as if someone has a gun to their head) or to become deeply angered and go off on a tangent, while I then go and read a topic all about "figures you'd like to see". What do I see when I go into those topics? I see a lot of people asking for resculpts/rehashes, or I see some idea's that just plain boggle the mind ("Imperial Pilot" Darth Vader? Tell me, what is an "Imperial Pilot" Darth Vader besides a demand for Hasbro to take any one of the 432,076 Darth Vaders that exist and toss him into the new packaging?)

But I'm with you Josh, I'm taking it easy and trying my best to look at the brighter side of things, rather than focusing on the hand full of (slightly) negative things we've gotten and blowing them out of proportion and fearing for the worst next year. So far, 2006 looks good, which is a very good thing.

ThorOakenfelder
08-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Rehashes, repaints or repacks, I don't care, I am just hoping there will be some figures I want to buy. If not then I'll have some extra money. Considering the ROTS figures i've gotten that I am really excited about, I have good hopes. Sure there's a bunch I didn't buy, but that's just because I didn't want them anyway. It's relaxing not to need to collect every piece on every packaging variation. POTF2 burned that out of me.

magillafett
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM

Oh yeah. That's true. I can't believe that [censored] Hasbro gave us 60 bew sculpts and 12 REHASHES!!!! [censored]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluesparrow
08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't consider a new sculpt of a character variant that has been done in the past a rehash. If that counts as a rehash, count me in. Probably 99% of the figures I want have been done, but I never bought those imo inferior sculpts, and don't want them. I want new versions, because the new versions are almost always better.

The only characters not done are completely unimportant background characters, and I personally could care less about them-- there's a reason they weren't done in the FIRST 27 YEARS of toys. I realize some people do care, but in any case, realistically how many characters are there left they can do that haven't been made before? I'd much rather have a new, better sculpt of ROTJ final duel Luke before we get a figure of the random character one of George Lucas's daughters played.

What I consider to be a rehash is an old sculpt repackaged with a different paint scheme.

E_CHU_TA
08-03-2005, 12:20 PM

And whats funny to me is seeing everyone proclaim their intentions to either quit collecting altogether (as if someone has a gun to their head) or to become deeply angered and go off on a tangent, while I then go and read a topic all about "figures you'd like to see". What do I see when I go into those topics? I see a lot of people asking for resculpts/rehashes, or I see some idea's that just plain boggle the mind ("Imperial Pilot" Darth Vader? Tell me, what is an "Imperial Pilot" Darth Vader besides a demand for Hasbro to take any one of the 432,076 Darth Vaders that exist and toss him into the new packaging?)

WHAT!!!???
who the hell wants another darth vader?
there are still so many characters i want, that have never seen the light of day.
and people keep wanting another vader, or han or luke.
i cry everytime they make another lead hero figure that isnt really needed.

on the other thread here i see people debating on the 500th vader and how many figures have actually been made, i wonder if you took away all the vaders lukes hand leiahs bens and chewies and r2s and c3p0s except for one of each, then how many would we be up to?

Habs98
08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Some rehashes aren't that bad, Boba Fett for example looks great in any package so another one of him is no big deal. As for others, I really do not want another Cantina Han Solo.

EeChooTaa
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't consider a new sculpt of a character variant that has been done in the past a rehash. If that counts as a rehash, count me in. Probably 99% of the figures I want have been done, but I never bought those imo inferior sculpts, and don't want them. I want new versions, because the new versions are almost always better.

The only characters not done are completely unimportant background characters, and I personally could care less about them-- there's a reason they weren't done in the FIRST 27 YEARS of toys. I realize some people do care, but in any case, realistically how many characters are there left they can do that haven't been made before? I'd much rather have a new, better sculpt of ROTJ final duel Luke before we get a figure of the random character one of George Lucas's daughters played.

What I consider to be a rehash is an old sculpt repackaged with a different paint scheme.

I completely agree with this. I would take a quality Luke figure that needs an update (Stromtrooper Disguise, Final Duel, Bespin...) or any other hero/major villian over the guy who Luke sells his speeder to or another Elan Sleezabaggano (ughhh) type figure.

DSIILuke
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM

I completely agree with this. I would take a quality Luke figure that needs an update (Stromtrooper Disguise, Final Duel, Bespin...) or any other hero/major villian over the guy who Luke sells his speeder to or another Elan Sleezabaggano (ughhh) type figure.

I agree with this 110% Im sure everyone knows I want a ROTJ DSII Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. Its my dream figure that I want really f**king back. I would also love a SA Stormie Luke and Bespin Luke before a Cantina alien or Jabba's Palace alien.

nagauthier
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM

A little kid I saw at Target with his mom yesterday. They'd been all over town looking for a Vader for the kid's birthday and couldn't find one. I know it's easy as collectors to get frustrated by multiple versions of old characters, but there is a market for them. We're not the only ones buying these toys and that's a good thing. Hasbro needs to keep the most recognizeable characters on shelves for wider audiences who don't know or care why we want 4 different Imperial Dignitaries. Main characters sell and are needed to keep stores ordering the line.

PizzatheHut
08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree, core characters should be on the pegs at all times. If that means repackaging previous sculpts, so be it. Everyone, kids, adults, parents, collectors, you name it, should have the chance to decide what they want to buy. It's fierce competition out there for action figure collectors young and old, and the stores and Hasbro need to recognize this by continually stocking major characters at all times.

CommanderRedd
08-04-2005, 12:51 AM
That's some good news that they will be pretty SA.

INDY
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I also agree that major chracters need to be on pegs all the time. I can easily see Hasbro doing releases in sets of 4 or 5 figures at a time with 2-3 being repaints or just re-releases. I didn't buy a lot of the OTC because I wasn't intersted. The same goes for the new stuff. If they do a good repaint, I might pick it up.

ThorOakenfelder
08-04-2005, 02:01 PM
WHAT!!!???
there are still so many characters i want, that have never seen the light of day.
and people keep wanting another vader, or han or luke.

This would be the people dissatisfied with the previous versions, or the new collectors who never got into it before, because they were too young, kids that don't know who Dannik Jerriko, Kittik Keedkak, Aks Aak, Meena Tills, Dengar, Lobot, Cloud Car Pilot, Snaggletooth/Zutton, K-3PO, R-3PO, R4-M9, etc. are. And personally, most of those characters I could care less about, give me better and more interesting MAIN characters. not entire lines of peripherals.

i cry everytime they make another lead hero figure that isnt really needed.

on the other thread here i see people debating on the 500th vader and how many figures have actually been made, i wonder if you took away all the vaders lukes hand leiahs bens and chewies and r2s and c3p0s except for one of each, then how many would we be up to?

What kind of a toy line would we have then? If there were no Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Chewbacca, Lando, R2, 3PO, Obi Wan, Anakin, Emperor, Qui-Gon, Padme, Yoda, Storm/Clone troopers, or other mains, I would feel almost no urge to purchase this line. Can you imagine the fun you would've had as a kid playing in your cantina playset with Greedo, Walrusman, Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, a couple Jawas, a Power Droid, and a tusken raider? Or kids now being told that they can't get a Vader because one was released 28 years ago and the collectors decreed that there was no need to rehash that figure? I feel sad for the kids who want to collect and can't find anything but Senators and Separatists and clones and battle droids. Jedis who got a split second of screen time and Neimoidian Warriors and Wookiees. Everyone complains so much on this board, it makes me wonder why they collect since they hate it so much. It's like I wonder if anyone ever thinks, "gee, I love my Star Wars toys. I am so glad that I spent thousands of dollars and hours on accumulating. I love talking to people and sharing ideas. I can't wait to see the new items that Hasbroare going to release."

Well, I declare that I am really happy with the Star Wars toys in my collection. I have enjoyed the search and discussions with other star wars collectors. I like meeting people who share the same interest as me and can't wait to see what Hasbro is going to release. I really hope they will release more of the figures I want and also release figures that I might not necessarily want to buy, but other collectors will be delighted with (I hope). I'm going to go home and change my collection display, because I really like my toys. And the ones I don't like, I am happy if someone else buys it and is happy.

Michael_Knight
08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Besides movie years and the initial release of POTFII, Hasbro has always released waves of only three or four newly sculpted figures with repackaged figures so there's nothing new here for the past ten years now. Hell, sometimes Hasbro only releases one new figure in an assortment, (i.e. the first rebel fleet trooper, and the new Mustafar Sentry).

Masterfett
08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't mind rehashes if I was never able to find the figure, but Hasbro always releases the same Damn rehashes like Luke x40, Han x40, Vader x50, ect! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif Somnething Different Please!

Deak_Starkiller
08-05-2005, 05:08 AM
I also agree that major chracters need to be on pegs all the time. I can easily see Hasbro doing releases in sets of 4 or 5 figures at a time with 2-3 being repaints or just re-releases. I didn't buy a lot of the OTC because I wasn't intersted. The same goes for the new stuff. If they do a good repaint, I might pick it up.

It will always be that way. To mostly issue figures that have never been released with each subsequent line is sort of a narrow vision. This line is another opportunity in Hasbro's eyes to capture another audience of Star Wars collectors, both hardcore and casual alike. That's always been Hasbro's approach. They'll continue to sprinkle in a few background/secondary characters into the mix. I feel though they should really start listening to the fans who demand these. Now where's my Hoth Soldier with trench turret?!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DSIILuke
08-05-2005, 11:34 PM
There will always be rehashs, the trick is hopefully their the better sculpted version of the character and/or prehaps a character that was hard to find back when first released. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ObiWanJabroni
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
After the last Saga series, I was tired of all the rehashes. I don't really want to buy the same figures, over and over again. I didn't even bother with last year's Saga series, and I'm sure that I won't bother with this one.....unless they make something cool and new that I want to take out of the package....yeah....

i_know
08-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm a new collector, and have decided to collect mainly what is new from VOTC on; since that is the line that got me into collecting. I played with star wars toys as a kid, and this line got me back into buying them 20 years later, cause of the amazing quality, articulation and likeness. I wish they would just go through the whole old line, and give them the VOTC treatment, cause i would buy them all. In my eyes they've created a new standard for the Original Trilogy characters with the VOTC figures, evolution vader, and the evolution sandtrooper that I hope they continue with.

If they rehash figures from previous line's i just won't buy them, but if they release new sculpts on par with the ROTS line then I'll buy those up. (i purchased tarkin, and the red royal guard from ROTS). Hopefully the newly sculpted figures will be even better than the ROTS line, and have articulation like the VOTC figures.

Josh
08-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Whoever said no one wants more vaders, more vaders the better.

The_Truth
08-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Whoever said no one wants more vaders, more vaders the better.

Seriously I can't get enough of them.