PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will The Saga Collection Last?

GNT
07-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Title of the thread says it all, how long will The Saga Collection last?

A year? 2 years? Since no new films will be made there really isn't a need to change the name now, Hasbro can change the packaging every now and again like they've always done and leave the name. It would be nice to have a line that lasts more then 3 years IMO or even beat the impressive 5 year run currently held by POTF.

What does everyone think? Will the Saga collection be dead by the time 2007 rolls around? Thoughts?

knightone
07-22-2005, 02:29 AM
For now, I would guess one year. I think in 2007, they may change it to something like "The Anniversary Collection". It's not out of the question for them to keep the 2007 toys under the 'Saga" banner, but they usually like to mark events such as that with new packaging just to keep the line fresh and the products for an event unique. Even then, though, I think the "Saga Collection" is something they will revisit again and again with special one or two year hiatuses for other collections like the new TV series collection, the 3-D movie edition collections, and the Clone Wars new (and possibly classic) animated series collection(s). I think it will be something they do for figures and other toys that don't fit into the other collections, but they will release to broaden the product line since it is a classic design that is not specific to any particular movie or format.

TT8L
07-22-2005, 02:43 AM
It's a long shot, though If I were to make a bet I would take that shot and say it is either bound to re-format or cancel before it sees the light of day...

That's not what I hope for, it's my bet... if that doesn't happen I am sure it will make three years, easy.

Actually, gauging the potential I see from all of the one-shot flops of lines that come out for a season and vanish nowadays with every hit movie I would have to say that if all looks as nice as it seems to be then Hasbro is in store for a truely classic line. I know they can make it happen....

Imagine if the new line reflected the same craftsmanship and dedication that was apparent in GI Joe RAH from 1982-1992. Star Wars' fan base... it's immensa and it works off the fuel of six hit movies. GIJ had one cartoon show and a comic, though many collected only for their love of it's figures.

As a pre-teen and while I was younger still I didn't have a T.V. and I still bought all the Joe I could find because it was packaged stylishly, and produced in numerous appealing varieties to highest qaulity standards (for those of us kids that didn't beat our figures with a baseball bat... my OTC Tie Fighter Pilots have looser knees than any of the Joints of my '86 figures which I have had for almost twenty years.)

My challenge to a new line is this; stay consistent, stay driven by the desire to make product nice enough to sell itself and if the potential is met there could be a single consistent quality SW line for the next decade... and then they can make figures from the prequals (ha... sorry I had to say that, but I know it works both ways; they have a lot to work with)

Kad
07-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing until the TV series are launched.

The_Mike
07-22-2005, 09:50 AM
It will last until 2007 and then we'll get "30 Years of the The Force" Collection or something along those lines highlighting the anniversary. I just hope that whatever comes next isn't named Saga again. Might as well just go Power of the Force III.

Lady_Jaye
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Good answer Dark Jedi, I'd agree with him!!! Once we reach 2007, which is scary in itself, we'll see 30th anniversary cards!!! Which I hope look even more like the vintage figuers!!! With the huge pics on the card!!!!

Hey one can hope!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The_Mike
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
That'd be cool if we got Vintageesque packaging. But we'll probably them on all gold card with something like this as the logo:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/121/30thmockup9ew.jpg

david_kay
07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
i hope it goes for a while http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Todd_F
07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Like others, I too would like to see the Saga card last for awhile. Unfortunately Hasbro gets bored quite easily and after about ten or twelve months feels the need to "freshen things up" a bit. Even if they continue the same basic design they will change at least one aspect of it by the end of the first year. Taper a stripe, change the color of the logo, add a book or bio, change the shape of the blister... Who knows??? They'll change something, they always do. Look back at past releases for all the proof you'll ever need. The good news is, it's a pretty cool design to begin with so any small alterations won't have much effect on its overal appearence.

NCajayon
10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
I would say that this line will last around 2-3 years or at least til the 3d movie comes out. With the previews releesed, i'd say that this will make the line sell good. So far, ROTS is my favorite line, VOTC and OTC is tied at 2nd. The saga collection is already making waves(at least to me http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) this soon.. I hope they release better figures in this line.

Zombie_F_Body
10-12-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm hoping a year or two at the least. Gives me time to complete the set. There's no real rush here to move onto the next line. I figure this one may be like a POTF2 for longevity.

GNT
10-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Yeah I hope it lasts just as long as POTFs long 5 year run. Maybe Hasbro can just keep the "The Saga Collection" name and just update the packaging every year or so?