PDA

View Full Version : The Final Frontier?

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Anyone planning on making this all-encompassing line their last stint in collecting SW action figures?

I'm considering it, due to the cost of collecting, and the fear of running out of room for it all. If Hasbro does this right, it could be a good place to end it.

Killer185
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Nah, I'm still waiting for a great EU line! I will never give up until they make a 56 figure EU line at least! :grin:

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Really? See I wasn't even going to collect the first EU line until starfox gave me a great deal on the entire set. I don't like EU very much, aside from the Dark Forces/Jedi game line, the CW cartoon, and SOTE.

But good luck on that :grin:

Killer185
07-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Yay, actually I love tons of the EU characters I bet Hasbro will give in at some point and make a line much like the SAGA Collection...

KOTOR 1 and 2, 10 Figures.
Jedi Knight Series, 8 Figures.
Empire Comic Series, 6 Figures.
Star Wars Tales, 7 Figures.
Star Wars Thrawn Triology, 8 Figures.
Star Wars New Jedi Order, 8 Figures.
Dark Empire, 5 figures.
Star Wars Ewok Adventures, 8 figures, including one 20 inch Gorax.
Shadows of the Empire, 7 figures.
Other Star Wars Books, comics characters, 12 figures.

Well that's my list! :)

07-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I haven't yet thought about stopping my Star Wars figure collection.
I would like to have one of every figure, no matter how they were released, with one exception:
I refuse to recognize the POTF2 Deluxe figures with the Rescue Heroes accessories.
I will consider my collection complete without them.

The EU figures have been pretty good so far, especially the Clone Wars and concept art figures.

I guess I would stop collecting if Hasbro started releasing the same characters and sculpts in different packaging until the end of time...

Real_Scooby
07-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone planning on making this all-encompassing line their last stint in collecting SW action figures?

I'm considering it, due to the cost of collecting, and the fear of running out of room for it all. If Hasbro does this right, it could be a good place to end it.

Well, that depends on what toys, if any, the TV shows will spawn.

For me, the future will become a little cheaper. I only plan to get the needed resculpts, and only a few of the repaints.

07-17-2005, 03:47 PM
I only plan to get the needed resculpts, and only a few of the repaints.

I have always collected this way, so my collection may be "complete" before every figure has been released.

TripleHHH
07-17-2005, 03:49 PM
For me I called it the end of the line at the ROTS figures, only picking up the ones I really wanted. But with the promise of cool new packaging and some new figures, (ex commander cody) I think I'll pick some of these up.

IrishJedi
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I stopped collecting the Hasbro toys after TPM. Now, I just pick up an item or two here and there... which is what I will likely continue going forward. I am far from a completist now and have "grown up" to appreciat the higher-end collectibles from Master Replicas, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, etc a lot more than anything Hasbro does.

However, I did collect the entire VOTC line (including 12"). That was aces. Best thing by far that Hasbro has done since they got the current license. And the CLONE WARS figures were pretty cool, too. Too bad Hasbro seems to have abandoned the idea of producing more of these in pursuit of their usual rehashing. Oh well... at least most of Hasbro's terrible decisions end up saving me money now. :p

07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I suppose the "end" of your collection depends on what you wanted to collect in the first place...

I'm not sure if I'm an absolute completist, but I would like to have the entire range of 3-inch figures.

That is, unless they become so redundant that collecting them becomes uninteresting.

IrishJedi
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
That is, unless they become so redundant that collecting them becomes uninteresting.

See, to me (and others no doubt) this started happening YEARS ago.

07-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I see your point, it does seem that way.

I like things that have a definite start and a definite finish.
For example, Japanese television series, as opposed to those in the US, which go on until they become tedious.

I started thinking this during the Saga range, but ROTS has a lot of great figures, so I'm back in action.

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Not me. A lot of people wre turned off when OTC hit, but I stuck with it and went ahead and bought my 4th and 5th carded Cantina Han's. But now that I have 1995-2005, I think this will be the best place to stop.

There's no point in collecting things to throw them in a box.

07-17-2005, 04:21 PM
I'll continue collecting as long as they continue releasing new characters and figures. So far so good.

07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I also collect Non-Star Wars figures.
They are all one-offs or super-limited production, so it's possible to have all 4 or 5, or the entire set of 10.
It's more difficult with SW, but I still really enjoy it. It will be kind of amazing when I have them all.

I guess my logic is that if you have them all, it's not clutter. :grin:

07-17-2005, 04:27 PM
There's no point in collecting things to throw them in a box.

I agree whole-heartedly!

It's supposed to be fun, and for me it still is, so I guess I won't be quitting any time soon.

TripleHHH
07-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Its fun when you can get the store displays to put your figures in. It really makes your collection stand out. It makes you feel like your in a toy store. :cool:

07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I never thought of that!

ThisIsMadness91
07-17-2005, 04:56 PM
There are so many EU ideas, I don't think I'll let this line be my last...unless Hasbro forces it to be :D.

Dhivael
07-17-2005, 06:03 PM
2018 is the contract expiration, ill reassess my habits then.

Neal
07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Personally, I'm not ready to stop collecting any time soon. I've been collecting Star Wars figures in one form or another for most of my life. I'd feel like a part of me was gone if I stopped now, or if the lack of a viable line forced me to stop.

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 08:28 PM
But in all actuality, ever since Saga 1 came out with AOTC, all people ever do is complain. Too many repaints too many rehashes too many action features not enough articulation not enough lame-o background characters (have you red any of Rune_Haako's wishlists? I've neer heard of 90% of them!). And even in the movies Jar Jar sucks, the PT is too childish, too many OT changes, too much CGI, Anakin fell too fast, Anakin whines too much, ewoks suck, blah, blah, blah.

Why do people collect something they hate so much? I just want to find a good stopping point to stop spending all my dough on SW.

MadPerry
07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
not sure if i'll lose interest. hasn't happened yet. it is completely in hasbro's hands. if they keep the line fresh, i'll keep on buying. if it gets stale, see ya. i'm so hooked on collectibles, i'd just find another line to buy.

Killer185
07-17-2005, 08:37 PM
But in all actuality, ever since Saga 1 came out with AOTC, all people ever do is complain. Too many repaints too many rehashes too many action features not enough articulation not enough lame-o background characters (have you red any of Rune_Haako's wishlists? I've neer heard of 90% of them!). And even in the movies Jar Jar sucks, the PT is too childish, too many OT changes, too much CGI, Anakin fell too fast, Anakin whines too much, ewoks suck, blah, blah, blah.

Why do people collect something they hate so much? I just want to find a good stopping point to stop spending all my dough on SW. Good story...

MadPerry
07-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Why do people collect something they hate so much? I just want to find a good stopping point to stop spending all my dough on SW.

if collectors did the math, they might realize how much "new" we actually get(with the exception of vehicles-particularly large vehicles). each year has seen more product than the year before. granted, a number of those items have included rehashed figs. but, this year alone has seen nearly 100 newly sculpted figures!!! all of the preview ROTS, ROTS basic, pack-ins from playsets and vehicles, battle packs(obviously not all), early bird kit, battle arenas, evolutions, and deluxe. this is only counting the 3 3/4" line. don't forget galactic heroes, force battlers, buddies, mpire, etc.. all you gotta do is look past the repacked/rehashed/repainted stuff.

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh, I can look past it just fine. I'm just sick of fellow collectors complaining incessantly. In fact that's part of the reason I will be changing gears after this Saga line.

JayRendar
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm with Killer on this one, I wont stop collecting the 3 3/4th figures until after I see a substantial EU line produced.

IrishJedi
07-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm just sick of fellow collectors complaining incessantly.

Oh, please. Was it not you who posted the following in the KOTOR 3 thread:

"God, I hope [they don't make a KOTOR 3]. I've already wasted $100 an who knows how many hours of my life not finishing these retarded games."

You know what they say about glass houses and stones...

MadPerry
07-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh, I can look past it just fine. I'm just sick of fellow collectors complaining incessantly. In fact that's part of the reason I will be changing gears after this Saga line.

the complaining annoys me as well. it's become the thing to do on the forum. before anything is even anounced or shown, the [censored] and moaning starts.

MisterKenobi
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm not complaining about the figures that we all collect. And speaking of a video game that doesn't even exist (and hopefully never will) is hardly the same as all the complaining about SW action figures (which along with props happens to be the basis of this site).

The only thing Hasbro that I've ever complained about is the Unleashed flop that came out a few days ago. And I'm definitely not alone on that one.

But let's not try to start a flame war, mmmkay? I just wanna know who's quitting and why.

the complaining annoys me as well. it's become the thing to do on the forum. before anything is even anounced or shown, the [censored] and moaning starts.

Don't it make your brown eyes blue? I have been overwhelmed with excellence with ROTS. But then I come to share my enthusiasm here on the boards and people are complaining about action features and pegwarmers. When the 'last 12' news came out it was 100 board members complaining about rehashes when I was totally stoked!

Chrispy
07-17-2005, 09:31 PM
I will continue to collect, because I have yet to lose interest in it and I am still young, 14, so I have plenty of time to collect, if that makes since. But I do think that Hasbro should stop releasing figures after this Saga line for a couple years and give everybody a break...

TripleHHH
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
If theres one thing hasbro will never do, its ending the figure line. Their contract with lucasfilm doesn't end till 2018. Then they might give it a break.

wampa1500
07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I actually stopped collecting after Episode 1. I only bought a few POTJ figures and then a few AOTC figures when they first came out. When ROTS figures hit the shelves the collecting bug hit me again. Now I'm only a few figures shy of being up to date. The problem I had was I HAD to collect everything. Now I'm just sticking with the carded 3 3/4" figures. I'll probably stop after I run out of room, but I have to get a house first to see how much room I really have to display them. ;) Thats on the agenda for early next year.

I also started collecting MOC vintage figures. If I have all the new stuff why not have the older stuff like I did when I was a kid? :grin:

IrishJedi
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
I will continue to collect, because I have yet to lose interest in it and I am still young, 14,

Wow, you ARE young. Most of us have been collecting for twice as long as you've been alive... and that's no exaggeration.

Cool to see the young 'uns are still into the hobby, though!

TripleHHH
07-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Does being 16 still count as being young? :grin:

Deak_Starkiller
07-17-2005, 11:21 PM
This line will continue to appease me as long as the quality is acceptible and consistent. I've collected nearly everything from some 70's and mostly 80's nostalgia from Transformers, Joe, MASK, Sky Commanders, RoboCop, Wheel Warriors (yes!), and a couple I can't off. So far, of those, Transformers and Joe are the ones I still collect, but they don't have the appeal I had with them from decades ago. Transformers, up to Cybertron continues to be impressive, but it's getting expensive to collect and Joe is pretty much getting down to rehashes on the exclusives, TRU and KB. I don't prefer to get Joe online, and Sigma Six is pretty much a bust. As long as I can drive down to store and find a good/new Star Wars figure and vehicle on the pegs and shelves, I'll be saving up my wallet til the end.

07-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree that for some collectors, complaining is part of the experience.
It can be quite annoying to hear so much complaining.
There's more to Star Wars than Clone Troopers...

My collection will be complete when there are no more new figure sculpts to add to it.

blaster_E11
07-18-2005, 09:32 AM
i only buy the figs i like, so i'm not planning to give up after rots

Jedieb
07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Endless complaining...
Mindless gushing...

Take your pick, they're both part of collecting and natural responses. Realistically, most people fall somewhere inbetween. Some just closer to one side of the spectrum than the other.

I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. I grew up with the OT, started up again in the early 90's and haven't let up since. As much as I'd like there to be some kind of finish line in sight, I don't see one coming anytime soon. Hell, when 2018 rolls around we'll probably see a new company grab the line. That would probably get me started all over again.

The_Mike
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I plan to go completist on this line and look for it to be my last BIG 3 3/4 collection. After that I plan on replacing figures that are resculpted better and grabbing anything that catches my eye...

Fisto
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I stopped collecting Star Wars figures for a few years and have only recently been picking up the ROTS characters that I really want. However, I'm looking at this Saga Collection as a new beginning. I plan on getting them all, repackages or not, due to the fact that I sold all of my old POTF figures and vehicles. (I miss them now...)

07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
If Hasbro resculpts the entire POTF2 range, I'll ditch that part of my collection, and never have to see muscular SW characters again!

07-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Personally, I'm not ready to stop collecting any time soon. I've been collecting Star Wars figures in one form or another for most of my life. I'd feel like a part of me was gone if I stopped now, or if the lack of a viable line forced me to stop.

I couldn't have said it better myself Rayne.

I wasn't around back in the 70's or early 80's to collect the vintage figures, but action figures were always a love of mine as a kid, though I never really understood why, I just loved them. GI Joes, Ninja Turtles, the list goes on and on.

But it was Star Wars that did it for me. I actually started collecting the POTF2 figures BEFORE I even saw the OT. Once I saw Star Wars though my life was changed forever.

I've been collecting ever since and its just a habit now. Collecting figures for me is an addiction I cannot and don't want to overcome. If Hasbro ever cancels the line, then I'll be really, really ticked. For now the occassional rehashes don't bother me all too much, being a loose collector and all, I'm just glad I've got something fun to collect and something that combines the two things I love most - Star Wars and action figures.