PDA

View Full Version : The Gaia Theory Thread (no politics or religion)

ShaakTi
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Incase your out of the know about what the Gaia Theory is it's basically this:
A good read and summary of the Gaia Theory (http://www.gaianet.fsbusiness.co.uk/gaiatheory.html)

Basically it's where the Earth will kill us off before we kill it off, pretty interesting if you ask me. It seems a little to Final Fantasy The Spirits Within-ish to me. I just wanted to get other opinions and discuss this interesting Scientific Theory.

Darth_Big_Boy
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
It may not be political or religious now but I can see it getting there. I'm going to leave it open but as soon as it turns that direction it's closed.

iHu
07-06-2005, 02:45 PM
I've long appreciated the "super organism" theory, that we are like cells on a larger entity. But I split on Gaia b/c I try to employ reductionist AND holistic thinking to my worldview.

The fact is the sun is heating up, and we now lie at the very leading edge of the solar system's "habitable zone" as it pertains to the sun. Earth will be baked to a hard, seared crust loooong before the end of the solar system.

Many people belieive we are only at the cusp of human understanding of planetary and celestial events. There is a lot of confusion in this intellectual awakening period, and a lot of interesting theories rising up out of it. If anybody posts anything more of substance here, I'll post more on the topic. I usually save this kind of conversation for The Well or other forums.

But to simplify, I believe the Earth is alive and is obviously the base creator of all organisms and systems that occupy its topmost layers.

The most important thing everyone should take away from Gaia theory is this:

"Due to the effect known as hysteresis, damage once done is very difficult to undo. Our experiment with global warming cannot be halted when we are uncomfortable with the effects; by then it may be too late. And once a species is extinct, it cannot be restored. We are just one part of a larger system, and are reliant on that system for our continued existence. We harm it at our peril."

It's astonishing how we as a society collectively choose NOT to use and practically apply this knowledge in forethought.

Michael_Knight
07-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey, I mentioned this in the Environmental discussion thread. Of course, I do adopt this theory. It's nice to see that our arrogant upbringingins of us being master over the Earth has all but dissapeared in recent decades. The reason why this notion hasn't fully dissapeared is because it has evolved into us being the cause of Earth's destruction, which is as much a fallacy as believing we control the Earth. People think these erratic weather phenomena that have covered the globe is the result of our meddling with it, and I believe that as much as I think we influence recent increased solar flare activity, which in otherwords is next to nill. The Earth put us here, more or less anyway, and allowed us to create cities, machines and whatever else we think is of our design.

On the other hand, if we have even the smallest fraction of a difference in Earth's equilibrium, such as our contribution to global warming, then it should be a red flag that we have a moral obligation to fix it and this is Earth's way of telling us, because if need be, it will squash us like the bugs we are and then go back to the way it was. All these phenomena are nothing more than cycles in the larger scheme of things and it's not like we were never privy to this, because our ancient cultures were. At the risk of sounding like a new-ager again, it is good we are coming into the Aquarian age, an age that is documanted in many belief sytstems, and it is supposedly one of enlightenment where we will finally shed our outdated beliefs and prejudices and finally see the larger picture.

iHu
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM
MK17, you dirty hippy! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gaia theory forces people to really unbound from selfishness, which sadly most Americans are quite happy with as a state of perpetual being. One way or other, something very humbling has to happen in order for people to "snap out of it" and take action. We are not colelctively self-aware enough to execute balanced-Earth actions and activities...yet.

Uuuhrrr...grow on this, you will.

ShaakTi
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I have an idea of what would humble people...but I can't post it here or the thread will be locked, so if you wanta know just PM me bitte.

Darth_Anton
07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Fun fact:

This idea often got pitched as a Star Trek episode by new writers, but the powers that be never let if fly.

Tyler_H
07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Humans could destroy the earth easily if they wanted to...

Remember in the Cold War when there were enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth something like 30 times??

Of course, that would have meant killing us all, and we dont want to do that, so the Giai theory is moot.

We could so kick a planets butt if we wanted to.

iHu
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Fun fact:

This idea often got pitched as a Star Trek episode by new writers, but the powers that be never let if fly.

I don't watch Trek, but it's fantastic idea for them to run with, all these years they've seemed quite open to weave in "theories" both real and sci-fi. I saw that one Trek movie that was quite full of pro-environment proaganda (which I support) -- that one with the whale and the whale sounds, and that monolithic "destruction engine" thing? That sequel film speaks to Gaia, somewhat, IMO...

iHu
07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Humans could destroy the earth easily if they wanted to...

Remember in the Cold War when there were enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth something like 30 times??

Of course, that would have meant killing us all, and we dont want to do that, so the Giai theory is moot.

We could so kick a planets butt if we wanted to.

Actually, your *** would be grass, no? But not the planet's. Nuke war is an extreme upsetting of balance, Earth produces the nuclear winter in response and then you die. Misappropriate the Earth's radiactive forces, and again...you die. Earth "wins" in this scenario, IMO. It cares very little whether or not you are along for the ride. That's a bug-out, but it seems true to me.

Killer185
07-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Its a cool theory but don't really believe it... We'll kill each other first... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Willy_Wampa
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Recall reading a few books on this. "Voice of the Planet" by Michael Tobias folows a guy who finds a 'living computer' which allows him to talk to Earth. (The cover claims it was made into a mini-series with William Shatner, but I've never been able to track it down) "Ishmael" and "My Ishmael" are more or less the same, except the sequel is told from the point of view of a young girl. Both feature a telepathic gorilla. I've been told some of the ideas from "Ishmael" were used in the film Instinct, but I've not seen it.

Anyhow, don't know if I buy into the Earth as a self-aware entity thing, but I do think that life in it's various forms is connected and that the harm of one living thing will sooner or later harm the rest. With the exception of literally blowing the planet to bits, Earth is going to survive wether we kill each other off or disrupt the place so much we can no longer live here.

Dan_Cziraky
07-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Fun fact:

Well, there was that one episode from the original series where they encountered a primative people that worshipped Va'al. It turned out to be a supercomputer that literally controlled every aspect of the planet: weather, plant life, and even the health and well-being of the animal life. People who rejected or threatened Va'al ended up being vaporized by lightning strikes, as I recall. Of course, Kirk & Co. had to come in and say, "Screw the Prime Directive, this computer won't even let these people engage in biological reproduction! Scotty, phaser it out of existence!" This left the population confused, miserable, and at an utter loss at how to even have children, let alone raise and care for them! Also, the computer pretty much made sure the crops in the fields grew, so I guess they were completely unprepared for things like crop failure and starvation. Ah, good ol' Kirk!

Anyway, I think this was as close as the ST writers were ever allowed to get to the Gaia Theory. Too bad the last ST film, Nemesis, tanked at the box-office. This might have made a decent film plot.

BactaReality
07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow, what a great story Dan.

As far as the Earth having a separate being, well, that's about as far a stretch as they come to explaining the laws of physics.