PDA

View Full Version : Visiting LA, looking for good stores to shop at

bm459
07-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm going to be visiting Los Angeles & area in early August and I'm looking for some suggestions on good stores to hit. I'm staying in downtown LA, but I'm going to be visiting Anaheim for a day, so I will be travelling around a bit. I'm in to modern and vintage action figures as well as Lego. Can anybody point out the good places to hit?

Thanks!

mactoys
07-04-2005, 03:54 PM
The problem with the LA area is there are so many collectors and scalpers. We all know were all the stores are and within 24hr(usually when the store opens) pretty much everything good is cleaned out. As for secondary market (vintage), you can try Frank and Sons, it is a drive but there are alot of scalpers there. Its opened Wed night and Sat day. I havent been there for a year, so I dont know how much SW stuff is there.

bm459
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the tips. I Googled Frank and Sons -- it looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to pull myself away from my conference on Wednesday night, but I'm going to try!

By the way, are there any good places that I can get to quickly from downtown that would have a Wal-Mart, Target or TRU that I could get to using the metro?

mactoys
07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Not that I know of, downtown is pretty much empty of Target Walmart and TRU. Check that, take a cab to the toy district...its a dump but there are one or two stores with some figs, 99 percent of them are mexican crap but there are a few gems...but dont go down there at night or even late in the day.
Pretty much downtown LA is a hole, if you are around Staples Center and the convention ctr it is ok, if you get a chance see the public library it is a cool design. But if you get too far from the main downtown it is scary.

richie894
07-31-2005, 09:56 PM
i went to frank and sons a couple of weeks back. its mostly sport collectables - baseball cards etc. however there are about 6-10 star wars stands. i tend to find though you can get the stuff cheaper on ebay. plus its a drive. its about 30-40 mins east of downtown l.a. - its worth a look though!

richie894
07-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Not that I know of, downtown is pretty much empty of Target Walmart and TRU. Check that, take a cab to the toy district...its a dump but there are one or two stores with some figs, 99 percent of them are mexican crap but there are a few gems...but dont go down there at night or even late in the day.
Pretty much downtown LA is a hole, if you are around Staples Center and the convention ctr it is ok, if you get a chance see the public library it is a cool design. But if you get too far from the main downtown it is scary.

i live in l.a. its fine. i live in glendale, work in santa monica. every city has its dodgy areas. the only area i would stay clear of, is crompton - thats where the gangs hang out. numerous times, have i walked around downtown on my own, sometimes night - had no problems. just use common sense.

SyphoDiaz
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I pass through down town every night on my way from work. Its not all that bad, unless you go through the "SKID ROW" Area. Thats the worst part of L.A. you could ever imagine. Looks like straight hell. But if you P.M. I could hit you with some of my spots.I plan on hitting up my spots this weekend. Let me know maybe we could go on a mission together if your still in town on Saturday. Let me know -- Mike