PDA

View Full Version : Are all VHS movies (studio movies) recorded on SP?

Eight_Nunb
06-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I say this because I bought 2 VHS movies on Ebay recently, which you can't get on DVD. I knew before buying that they were slightly used.

Well, when i got them in the mail i suspected that they were bootlegs/fakes. The quality sucked. But the ebay seller denies it (of course). Now i see that when the movie plays on my VCR it plays in EP mode, instead of the usual SP mode (which most retail VHS movies play on that i've seen).

So should virtually all VHS movies play on SP record mode? Do i now have proof that these tapes i bought are copies/fakes?

Sith_Lord_Cptn_Winkee
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
From my experience (as both a collector of videos and as a professional in the multi-media field), everything I've seen officially released has been in SP. I don't have any two tape sets any more (traded up for DVD), but long movies tend to be split at or around the 2 hour mark.
I looked up one of our suppliers here at work, and they carry up to T180s, which are 180 minute tapes in SP mode. Studios of course have their tapes custom cut so that there's not a lot of space at the end (another sign that a tape is bootlegged). I really can't see a reason for a manufactured tape to be in EP or have the extra space and those are the first two give-aways for me. If the quality is bad that's another. An old original tape might have some stretching (causes that funny thing sometimes you see where the top of the picture bends) or may have a drop outs (from where the magnetic part of the tape has started to deteriorate) but a lot of static, drop-outs and audio hiss is usually caused by low quality and multiple generation dubs. Safely you can probably get away with dubing an original once (making a 2nd generation dub) and dubbing that (3rd gen) is iffy, but beyound that it goes down fast. Often bootleggers are selling 6th, 7th, or 8th gen dubs, which I've seen are are crap. I could probably go on but that should answer your question, I'm betting it's a dub and not even a 2nd or 3rd gen one. The seller probably doesn't even know.

Edit: What are the tapes, pm me, I might be able to help or find a better copy.

Trex
06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I don't remember any movies ever being released in anything but SP mode, but I could be wrong. As a matter of fact, my sister picked up Titanic on VHS way back when and gave it to me because she didn't like the movie. That was on two tapes because it was so large. If they really wanted the quality to suck, they could have squeezed it onto one tape..

Eight_Nunb
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Well i just checked one of the movies, and it lasts for 2 hours and then when i ejected the tape after the movie stopped there was about half of the tape left unused. So thats 2 hours of left over tape.

So i guess it seems they are probably fakes.

But i also asked for a refund from this seller i got the movies from off ebay, and the seller won't give me a refund unless i send the tapes back first. I'm weary of doing thus because 1) the seller sold me bootlegs and & might not give me my money 2) the seller just recently made their feedback comments "private", and 3) the seller listed they were from the U.S. when they were actually from Canada.

what to do?

Trex
06-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Did you pay with paypal? File a grievance/complaint through them.. If it goes through, you can get your money back.. That plus negative feedback if they ever decide to make their feedback public again..

Eight_Nunb
06-28-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah i payed with PayPal. I want to avoid all the hassle of going through ebay/PayPal to get my money if i can. But i my sister says that its probably best to keep the tapes until i get a refund because at least i have proof of the bootlegs.

But i will report this person for sure after this is all over. Crap i hate this, what a pain in the butt. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Monkeywrench
06-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Did you pay with paypal? File a grievance/complaint through them.. If it goes through, you can get your money back.. That plus negative feedback if they ever decide to make their feedback public again..

I agree. If you feel that strongly about it, file through Paypal. As for the seller, making their feedback private wont prevent them from receiving neg. feedback on a sale.

If you get Paypal to side with you, Im sure you will have to send the tapes back, but ship the tapes with a tracking # so there can be no dispute.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Lady_Jaye
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
If you get Paypal to side with you, Im sure you will have to send the tapes back, but ship the tapes with a tracking # so there can be no dispute.

That's the real trick huh!!!! Getting pay pal to side with you!!!

Swiss_Army_R5
06-28-2005, 06:26 PM
which movies are they? You may be able to tell by the sticker on the front of the tape.

Some tape thats just sit get a bit degraded over time. Who knows what or where this guy had them.

ezehogan
06-29-2005, 01:03 AM
SP is the standard, but I know that some WWF tapes were cheaply made and were in EP mode.

I even got one from the early 90's in LP mode!

But as for studio movies... I've never had a single one that wasn't in SP. I'd say you have a fake.

i4imperial
06-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Is the seller in the US? If so, tell him you want your money back immediately or you will report him to US Customs and submit the tapes as evidence.