PDA

View Full Version : AFI 100 Best Quotes

kengar
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

Anybody catch this last night? I was flipping back and forth during commercials and it was pretty good. "May the Force be with you" was #8. There are alot that were left off. I thought, "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes", should have made the cut.

Neal
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
I thought, "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes", should have made the cut.

Yeah, I agree ... and it's a travesty (dramatic, I know) that "No. I am your father" wasn't anywhere on the list, much less in the top ten.

Lady_Jaye
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
You didn't happen to saave the list did you??? The server is too busy!!!

Neal
06-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Here you go:

1. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn,” “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
2. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse,” “The Godfather,” 1972.
3. “You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am,” “On the Waterfront,” 1954.
4. “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore,” “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
5. “Here’s looking at you, kid,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
6. “Go ahead, make my day,” “Sudden Impact,” 1983.
7. “All right, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up,” “Sunset Blvd.,” 1950.
8. “May the Force be with you,” “Star Wars,” 1977.
9. “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night,” “All About Eve,” 1950.
10. “You talking to me?” “Taxi Driver,” 1976.
11. “What we’ve got here is failure to communicate,” “Cool Hand Luke,” 1967.
12. “I love the smell of napalm in the morning,” “Apocalypse Now,” 1979.
13. “Love means never having to say you’re sorry,” “Love Story,” 1970.
14. “The stuff that dreams are made of,” “The Maltese Falcon,” 1941.
15. “E.T. phone home,” “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,” 1982.
16. “They call me Mister Tibbs!”, “In the Heat of the Night,” 1967.
17. “Rosebud,” “Citizen Kane,” 1941.
18. “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!”, “White Heat,” 1949.
19. “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”, “Network,” 1976.
20. “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
21. “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti,” “The Silence of the Lambs,” 1991.
22. “Bond. James Bond,” “Dr. No,” 1962.
23. “There’s no place like home,” “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
24. “I am big! It’s the pictures that got small,” “Sunset Blvd.,” 1950.
25. “Show me the money!”, “Jerry Maguire,” 1996.
26. “Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?”, “She Done Him Wrong,” 1933.
27. “I’m walking here! I’m walking here!”, “Midnight Cowboy,” 1969.
28. “Play it, Sam. Play ’As Time Goes By,”’ “Casablanca,” 1942.
29. “You can’t handle the truth!”, “A Few Good Men,” 1992.
30. “I want to be alone,” “Grand Hotel,” 1932.
31. “After all, tomorrow is another day!”, “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
32. “Round up the usual suspects,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
33. “I’ll have what she’s having,” “When Harry Met Sally...,” 1989.
34. “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow,” “To Have and Have Not,” 1944.
35. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat,” “Jaws,” 1975.
36. “Badges? We ain’t got no badges! We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!”, “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre,” 1948.
37. “I’ll be back,” “The Terminator,” 1984.
38. “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth,” “The Pride of the Yankees,” 1942.
39. “If you build it, he will come,” “Field of Dreams,” 1989.
40. “Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get,” “Forrest Gump,” 1994.
41. “We rob banks,” “Bonnie and Clyde,” 1967.
42. “Plastics,” “The Graduate,” 1967.
43. “We’ll always have Paris,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
44. “I see dead people,” “The Sixth Sense,” 1999.
45. “Stella! Hey, Stella!”, “A Streetcar Named Desire,” 1951.
46. “Oh, Jerry, don’t let’s ask for the moon. We have the stars,” “Now, Voyager,” 1942.
47. “Shane. Shane. Come back!”, “Shane,” 1953.
48. “Well, nobody’s perfect,” “Some Like It Hot,” 1959.
49. “It’s alive! It’s alive!”, “Frankenstein,” 1931.
50. “Houston, we have a problem,” “Apollo 13,” 1995.
51. “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ’Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”, “Dirty Harry,” 1971.
52. “You had me at ‘hello,”’ “Jerry Maguire,” 1996.
53. “One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know,” “Animal Crackers,” 1930.
54. “There’s no crying in baseball!”, “A League of Their Own,” 1992.
55. “La-dee-da, la-dee-da,” “Annie Hall,” 1977.
56. “A boy’s best friend is his mother,” “Psycho,” 1960.
57. “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good,” “Wall Street,” 1987.
58. “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer,” “The Godfather Part II,” 1974.
59. “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again,” “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
60. “Well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into!”, “Sons of the Desert,” 1933.
61. “Say ‘hello’ to my little friend!”, “Scarface,” 1983.
62. “What a dump,” “Beyond the Forest,” 1949.
63. “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?”, “The Graduate,” 1967.
64. “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”, “Dr. Strangelove,” 1964.
65. “Elementary, my dear Watson,” “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,” 1929.
66. “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape,” “Planet of the Apes,” 1968.
67. “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
68. “Here’s Johnny!”, “The Shining,” 1980.
69. “They’re here!”, “Poltergeist,” 1982.
70. “Is it safe?”, “Marathon Man,” 1976.
71. “Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain’t heard nothin’ yet!”, “The Jazz Singer,” 1927.
72. “No wire hangers, ever!”, “Mommie Dearest,” 1981.
73. “Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?”, “Little Caesar,” 1930.
74. “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown,” “Chinatown,” 1974.
75. “I have always depended on the kindness of strangers,” “A Streetcar Named Desire,” 1951.
76. “Hasta la vista, baby,” “Terminator 2: Judgment Day,” 1991.
77. “Soylent Green is people!”, “Soylent Green,” 1973.
78. “Open the pod bay doors, HAL,” “2001: A Space Odyssey,” 1968.
79. Striker: “Surely you can’t be serious.” Rumack: “I am serious ... and don’t call me Shirley,” “Airplane!”, 1980.
80. “Yo, Adrian!”, “Rocky,” 1976.
81. “Hello, gorgeous,” “Funny Girl,” 1968.
82. “Toga! Toga!”, “National Lampoon’s Animal House,” 1978.
83. “Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make,” “Dracula,” 1931.
84. “Oh, no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast,” “King Kong,” 1933.
85. “My precious,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,” 2002.
86. “Attica! Attica!”, “Dog Day Afternoon,” 1975.
87. “Sawyer, you’re going out a youngster, but you’ve got to come back a star!”, “42nd Street,” 1933.
88. “Listen to me, mister. You’re my knight in shining armor. Don’t you forget it. You’re going to get back on that horse, and I’m going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we’re gonna go, go, go!”, “On Golden Pond,” 1981.
89. “Tell ’em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper,” “Knute Rockne, All American,” 1940.
90. “A martini. Shaken, not stirred,” “Goldfinger,” 1964
91. “Who’s on first,” “The Naughty Nineties,” 1945.
92. “Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!”, “Caddyshack,” 1980.
93. “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!”, “Auntie Mame,” 1958.
94. “I feel the need — the need for speed!”, “Top Gun,” 1986.
95. “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary,” “Dead Poets Society,” 1989.
96. “Snap out of it!”, “Moonstruck,” 1987.
97. “My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you,” “Yankee Doodle Dandy,” 1942.
98. “Nobody puts Baby in a corner,” “Dirty Dancing,” 1987.
99. “I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!”, “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
100. “I’m king of the world!”, “Titanic,” 1997.

kengar
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Once the server frees up, they also have a list of the 400 that were nominated, the ESB quote was there as well as a couple other Star Wars quotes and the snakes one. The focus on Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Casablanca are a little ridiculous. You can guess the average age of the people who voted.

Lady_Jaye
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Snap pit of it Moonstruck??? What kind of crappy quoe is that??? Nothing unique about it, I've certainly never heard of it!!

Anyhow thatnks Rayne for the list!!!

Neal
06-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Snap pit of it Moonstruck??? What kind of crappy quoe is that??? Nothing unique about it, I've certainly never heard of it!!

That quote works better in the context of the scene. Nick Cage tells Cher that he's in love with her, she then slaps the sh*t out of his face twice, and then yells, "Snap out of it!"
I've never seen Moonstruck , but I've seen that scene many, many times. I understand why it made the list.

Lady_Jaye
06-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Well I've never seen it either, not have I ever seen just the scene!!! I still think: "No, I am your father" is a better scene and quote, definately memorable!!!

And I agree with Kengar, way to many quotes from some movies that just aren't relevant anymore!!! I mean where's:

"I'm your Huckleberry."

"What are you??!!" "I'm Batman"

"K-Mart sucks!" - Rain Man

"Hellooo Sidney."

"I'm funny? How am I funny? Am I a clown to amuse you funny? Do I make you laugh? Tell me how am I funny? - Goodfellas

At least they got in my favorite horror movie, Poltergeist's famous,: "They're here!"

kengar
06-22-2005, 12:17 PM
The lack of the "huckleberry" one really surprised me, that one wasn't even nominated.

The other thing I didn't like was that Pulp Fiction and Tarantino in general were left completely off the list--the guy writes great dialogue and they included none of it.

As far as delivery by actors, I don't think Kevin Spacey or Christopher Walken had one quote on there, that's ridiculous.

Killer185
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Personally I think that list kind of sucks... Oh well that's AFI for you! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Victor_Von_Doom
06-22-2005, 02:55 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
The focus on Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Casablanca are a little ridiculous

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I hadn't even heard a couple of those quotes before.

Jagdohh_Fett
06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Man I watched most of this and two quotes I was waiting for were "Yippie-ki-yay, motherf*****" (Die Hard) and "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (The Princess Bride), but they didn't make the top 100 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif. At least that Cool Hand Luke quote made it, though I liked Newman's version of it better towards the end of the film.

kengar
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Man I watched most of this and two quotes I was waiting for were "Yippie-ki-yay, motherf*****" (Die Hard) and "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (The Princess Bride), but they didn't make the top 100 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif. At least that Cool Hand Luke quote made it, though I liked Newman's version of it better towards the end of the film.

Both of those were among the four hundred nominated anyway. The Val Kilmer quote from Tombstone didn't even get a nomination.

Monkeywrench
06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he did'nt exist" is one of my favorites that didnt make the cut.

Is it just me or is Patrick Swayze this generations [censored] Clark?

Neal
06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Is it just me or is Patrick Swayze this generations [censored] Clark?

As in he doesn't look like he's aged a day? Somewhat ... but not entirely.
He has a rather scary look about him now, and his enormous head seems larger than ever.

Wingnut
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Psst...Steroids.

Monkeywrench
06-22-2005, 03:36 PM
LMAO! Yeah, I was referring to how he has aged.

Mobile_Artillery
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
The focus on Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Casablanca are a little ridiculous

I agree. I hadn't even heard a couple of those quotes before.

[/QUOTE]

Me too. There were a LOT of quotes from those movies. I'm glad to see "Houston, we have a problem" made it (#50). I guess it's just because I saw the movie recently, but that quote and a few others deserve what they got. Some other ones shouldn't even be on the list. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Swiss_Army_R5
06-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Tarantino in particular was left out because AFI doesn't want to have bleeped lines. Thouhg at leas thtey could have had..."B.K.-Bill are you going to be good? Bill- I've never been good but i'll try to be sweet."

Radio show today did whole program on lines that should have been in there. IT made me realize that no John Wayne lines are in there. And lots of Eastwood isn't.

NO Princess Bride either. Not having Fezzini or Inigos famous lines is just wrong.

E_CHU_TA
06-23-2005, 06:23 AM
well i have to admit there are a good handful of quotes on there that im not familiar with.
some of those films im familiar with and i still dont recall the line that made it to the list.
and actually theres at least a couple films on there ive never even heard of.
and i do consider myself to be fairly worldly pop culturewise.

heres a few lines that have always stuck with me that werent on there, and im not even saying these should have been.
but to me they have always been memorable.

when hal says SOMETHING WONDERFUL in 2010.

when spock says REMEMBER as hes dieing.

when indiana jones says TRUST ME.

when han solo says AND I THOUGHT THEY SMELLED BAD ON THE OUTSIDE.

when spicoli says YOU [censored] or maybe even whenhe says THATS GNARLY in fast times.

the princess brides AS YOU WISH and IM INDIGO MONTOYA YOU KILLED MY FATHER PREPER TO DIE.

in shawshank when morgan freeman says GET BUSY LIVING OR GET BUSY DIEING and when he says I JUSY MISS MY FRIEND or something to the effect of HE SWAM THROUGH 300 YARDS OF FILTH I CANT EVEN IMAGINE.

i mean come on how about the warriors? WARRIORS COME OUT AND PLAY.

i dont even recall the movie but its an older pearl harbour movie and one of the japanese generals says ALL WEVE DONE IS AWAKEN A SLEEPING MONSTER.

in the longest day when john wayne gives his speech to the other soldiers THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN UNDER A NIGHTLY BLITZ FOR 2 YEARS.

this is just stuff off the top of my mind, and if its the greatest quotes its a shame that tv is not included.

and i mean live long and prosper is at least equal with may the force be with you.

GNT
06-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn that some made the list and some didn't. The list can't please everyone but for what's worth it lists some pretty cool quotes that you hear from time to time, some I've never heard but are still pretty snazy in their own way.

Nice to see some classic film quotes in the list as well - Casablanca, Gone With the Wind etc...some of these quotes have been floating around for over 60 years! Gone but not forgotten.

Yeah, I agree ... and it's a travesty (dramatic, I know) that "No. I am your father" wasn't anywhere on the list, much less in the top ten.

[/QUOTE]

I look at it the top 100 as quotes that we can all use in day to day life or at least rework them by changing a word or 2... While the "I am your father" line is very important, how often can you really use it? Guess it depends on the situation.

Lady_Jaye
06-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I'll tell you one that I know we all use here and in our personal lives, that should have been included!!!

Impressive, most impressive!!

Oh and I can't beleive no John Wayne line made it!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

efranks
06-23-2005, 08:44 AM
In the computer age I think that the classic "Office Space" line should have been on this list: "PC Load Letter? What the f--- does that mean?"

E...

Census
06-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Personally I think that list kind of sucks... Oh well that's AFI for you! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pretty much. Nobody probably has heard half of those quotes. Now I'm not as big into Terminator as I used to be but how did "Hasta la vista, baby" get to the bottom 3/4 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Another thing is how is a quote from one of the highest profited movies in history get number 100 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wingnut
06-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Just remember

"I'm the KING of the WOOOOOOORLD"

Was #100

kengar
06-23-2005, 09:21 AM
If Indiana Jones and Darth Vader can be left off the list, two of the most iconic film characters of the last thirty years, I have no problem with the piece of crap Titanic quote being #100.

I think the quote I'm happiest about seeing in there is the Bill Murray one from Caddyshack. I would have rather it been "So I says to the Lama, hey Lama", but it's nice to see Carl Spackler represented.

Depmode
06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
*YAWN* Boring list, why did I just read it?

Darth_Bryan
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
The lack of the "huckleberry" one really surprised me, that one wasn't even nominated.

There is a conspiracy against Tombstone and Val Kilmer and the movie industry. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif There are plenty of quotes from that movie. I'm still shocked he wasn't nominated for an Oscar or even Golden Globe.

As for the show, I watched it off and on and it was kinda cool to see the quotes in the context of the movie they appeared in. It is amazing how many everyday quotes you hear from movies.

Number 98 and 100 were hilarious. They should have had James Cameron saying the line when he won the Oscar.

[/QUOTE]

This still has to be one of the worst lines in a movie much less a top 100 list.

Marra_Fett
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Talking about favorite star wars lines left off the list how about:
ESB:
Leia- "I love you!"
Han- "I know."

That still to this day is my most favorite star wars line of all time. Just because it was a pretty emotional scene with Han about to be lost and leia is all crying and stuff, and Han was still being his old self.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I was a bit peeved that these were not included:

"No, I am your Father." The Empire Strikes Back

"Teacher says, Everytime a bell rings, an Angel gets it's wings." It's A Wonderful Life

OR my personal Favorite:

"The Force is with you Young Skywalker...

... but you are not a Jedi yet." The Empire Strikes Back

THj
06-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I look at it the top 100 as quotes that we can all use in day to day life or at least rework them by changing a word or 2... While the "I am your father" line is very important, how often can you really use it? Guess it depends on the situation.

[/QUOTE] Actually, I use the "I am your father" quote quite often, knowing several guys named Luke. And if the list is supposed to be based on used-ness(if that's a word) of the quote, which I know it's not, then I'd personally have G.I.JOE the Movie holding probably half of the top 10 spots. Most quotable movie ever! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And personally, I was really hoping to see "I love you." "I know." on there.. but oh well.

Nance

Neal
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
The four quotes nominated from the Star Wars Saga:

"May the Force be with you." - Han Solo - Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - Princess Leia - Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope

"I am your father." - Darth Vader - Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda - Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

forcebwithu
06-24-2005, 12:31 AM
no dissenagrations wasnt even nominated my friend and i always look at each oter and grin when dv says it o time to go disenigrate afi

Victor_Von_Doom
06-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I wish "HEY YOU GUYS!" from the Goonies or "The Great Bambino" from The Sandlot were represented, but thats just wishful thinking.

Shoeless_Jedi
06-24-2005, 11:42 AM

This still has to be one of the worst lines in a movie much less a top 100 list.

Find the opportunity to use this line in real life on any girl born after 1980 and you will make her yours,lol.... I think a line with that kind of power can be on the list http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This generation of women LOVES that movie http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif